The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-16-2022, 07:21 PM   #1
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

TV-Shows/Movies watched because certain stars were in them

Have you ever delved into a TV show or movie solely because certain actor(s)/actress(s) starred in them? Anyone got a list that comes to mind?

Sometimes, it's because one loves a certain genre, or they know or believe the storyline looks interesting and are fascinated to see how it plays out, and sometimes it's probably just because they want to see their favorite stars in them.
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:40 PM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

Normally I don't watch medical/hospital settings series. But I decided to check out House because Hugh Laurie, the guy who played the goofy character of George in Black Adder, starred in it. I was seriously intrigued by the fact he was now playing the lead role of a drama series. If someone else had been the lead actor of the series, I probably wouldn't have bothered with House ever.

As for movies, I try to watch every single movie that has Ana de Armas or Monica Bellucci in it. They are hot and tend to get naked and/or get smashed in the movies they're in. Seems like a good enough reason for me to check out their work.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:47 PM   #3
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Hmmm.

For me, I care more about the premise/characters than the actors starring in TV and movies. Sometimes I'll get more excited in there's a specific actor in it, though it doesn't really make me care more about something if it's bad. There's some actors I do enjoy, though that doesn't make me seek out their stuff just to watch them in it.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:18 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Hmmm.

For me, I care more about the premise/characters than the actors starring in TV and movies. Sometimes I'll get more excited in there's a specific actor in it, though it doesn't really make me care more about something if it's bad. There's some actors I do enjoy, though that doesn't make me seek out their stuff just to watch them in it.
At this point in time, I know less and less actors. Or just know them by name but not by face. Which ended up being pretty much the same thing.

The old school actors I know and everyone knows are simply getting older and dying. And I've lost track of popular movies and TV shows in the last decade or so. Even though it's easier than ever to watch them nowadays.

I don't watch any of the Marvel movies and neither did I watch Game of Thrones. I don't follow any current live action TV series atm, either. So I end up missing on most of the young popular actors of today.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:46 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Not so much anymore. When I was younger, sure. But I grew out of it.

Like, when I was little I loved Bill Murray in "Ghostbusters", so I made it a point to try and see everything else he was in. I very quickly realized that just because I liked someone in One Thing, I wouldn't necessarily care about every other thing they did.

Or like, after I loved "They Live", liked "Body Slam" and... tolerated "Hell Comes To Frogtown", I decided I was gonna track down and watch EVERY movie Roddy Piper ever did, which seemed like it was gonna be a lot of fun because he was in a lot of them! Then I very quickly realized, 99% of them were exactly the same except for the aforementioned "Holy Trinity" of Roddy Piper Movies: He's always a cop, or ex-cop, whose partner or wife gets killed by the mob and he has to kill them all one-by-one for revenge. That's it. Sometimes he's in the city, sometimes he's in the jungle, sometimes Billy Blanks is his sidekick and sometimes he's a bad guy. But they're almost all the same so there's really no point in watching them all. Except for the one where he's a bad guy and Shannon Tweed is the star. That one's okay, and she's always naked so that was fun. At least he played a different role, for once.

I went through an Emilio Estevez phase but immediately realized that not everything is "Young Guns". He's always good - "Loaded Weapon" is hilarious and "The War at Home" is excellent - but he's done way too many "I need to pay for Charlie's rehab again" movies.

Christopher Reeve was a decent Superman but he never did anything else worth sitting through, really. He was one of those people who hated being typecast, but he honestly was not a great actor and did a sh*t job picking roles. He was only good at One Thing, past that he was way out of his depth. No range.

So yeah, eventually I just stopped. It's actually more likely now that if I like someone in something, I won't bother trying to watch them in too many other things, I'd rather their image stay "pristine" in my mind. Like, I love Henry Cavill as Superman, but that's all I've seen him do. No desire to see the Mission: Impossible thing. I might check out The Witcher one day, but that's no guarantee either.

My wife is one of those "If I like someone I'll watch them in every single thing" people, especially with Johnny Depp, but I totally give her sh*t about it because much as she loves him even she admits that 99% of his movies are garbage and he's just "the thing about them that's the least-garbage". So I'm like "WHAT is the f*cking POINT?" Watching a bad movie/show for a few minutes of seeing someone you like slumming it for a paycheck? To me, that's more painful than entertaining, but eh.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:19 AM   #6
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Like, I love Henry Cavill as Superman, but that's all I've seen him do.
I highly, highly recommend The Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie from 2015. Cavill is excellent in it, and extremely charismatic. The man is a fine actor. Whether you like the DCEU or not, he is talented, and tends to make his characters likable. The movie, Cavill aside, is really fun, and hits all the right notes for something that's an action/adventure spy story.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:10 AM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

But I have no knowledge of that franchise!

From his Instagram he seems like quite a charming fellow. And I like his dog.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:48 AM   #8
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
But I have no knowledge of that franchise!
You don't need to. The movie is self contained, and explains itself without needing to know the show. I never saw the original TV show either.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #9
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Brandon Jay McLaren (Jack from Power Rangers SPD) was in Ransom and was one of the reasos I tuned into that show. It had an OK run; and I know he's been on a few good shows since then.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:58 AM   #10
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Hmmm.

Same. I probably wouldn’t have looked into movies such as In Bruges and Cruel Intentions if they weren’t actors in them I was familiar with, but I still care more about the premise/characters.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:31 AM   #11
mrmaczaps
Banned

Yes but no. I won't go out of my way to watch something just because a certain actor or actress is in it, but if I'm looking for something new to watch, I'll search the actor/actress and if the premise looks good, I'll watch it... until I get bored. Lol

Except for Keanu... I think I've seen even the terrible movies he has done. Lol. He's the only reason I watched Bill & Ted 3...clusterfvck that that was... lol.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote