The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #41
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
It's not the fact that it wasn't Mirage inspired that people are upset. It's the fact that this movie screwed up in every possible sense. They couldn't even get the origin story right, for goodness sakes! The Turtles deserve a better movie, one without the involvement of Michael Bay and Platnium Dunes.
The movie definitely screwed somethings up but it's far from the train wreck fans make it out to be. Fans had already judged the movie before filming even began. And they got the origin story wrong? You mean the story that has been pretty much different in most TMNT incarnations? And the most popular incarnation of said origin is the one that barely resembles the original one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Yeah, I don't get it either, Sure there are fans of other iterations, They just cant seem to let it go, If they are catering to one group of fans, Then they should let it be, Besides they can continue enjoying there favorite version of TMNT all they want, Being a child of the 80s, I grew up with 80s Fred Wolf TMNT, and it brings joy, How much they are taking some of its influence in the sequel.
You're being hypocritical with that train of thought. It's taking elements from what made the turtles popular in the first place. If you don't want them to cater to one group of fans then it should be an original IP that has nothing to do with the turtles. This is as much pandering to the OT fans as a Mirage movie is pandering to comic book fans. Also the few things the movie tried to be original about were the things they were most criticized about.

Quote:
I think you're missing the point. It's not the fact that it's based on any particular version. It's the fact that the movie was garbage. The reviews from critics proved it, and the divisive fan opinion in the TMNT community is proving it. It's not all that hard to understand, IMO.
The reviews could've been worse and the general consensus by non-nerds is that it was a decent enough movie.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #42
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I don't care what they do so long as it's written well & looks good. They could include Venus & Neutrinos for all I care, whether or not it works falls on the creative team's shoulders.

That is why we can love IDW & Nick despite their heavy OT influence- they do it right. These guys are not capable of making bad things good, in fact, they make good things bad.
Yep. Nick is DRIPPING with OT influence. But it's done right. Booyakasha is just this generation's Cowabunga and it works, because it's coming from a place of respect and talent and fandom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #43
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by <TmNtRoX-1997> View Post
The reviews could've been worse and the general consensus by non-nerds is that it was a decent enough movie.
What do non-nerds know?

They think garbage like The Big Bang Theory is a quality representation of geek culture when it's more or less minstrel for comic book fans. We're a joke to them, & that's why modern comic films are made for the jocks. We don't matter.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #44
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
The movie definitely screwed somethings up but it's far from the train wreck fans make it out to be. Fans had already judged the movie before filming even began.
Of course, why wouldn't we? When has a sequel to a film that got a majority of negative reviews ever turned out good or even better than the previous film? Usually they're just as bad, if not worse, than the previous entry.

And considering the same people, minus Liebesman, are involved that's more than enough reason for me to have no trust in them.

Quote:
And they got the origin story wrong? You mean the story that has been pretty much different in most TMNT incarnations? And the most popular incarnation of said origin is the one that barely resembles the original one?
How about the fact they made the Turtles and Splinter learn ninjitsu from some freaking book found randomly in a sewers? That's even dumber and less realistic than Splinter learning it from Hamato Yoshi by mimicking his moves from a cage.

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that it was still considered to be terrible by critics and fans.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #45
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
The movie definitely screwed somethings up but it's far from the train wreck fans make it out to be. Fans had already judged the movie before filming even began. And they got the origin story wrong? You mean the story that has been pretty much different in most TMNT incarnations? And the most popular incarnation of said origin is the one that barely resembles the original one?
Hamato Yoshi does not exist in this universe because "it was too complicated to do." From the director himself.

Basic things have been staples of the origin since their conception.

Hamato Yoshi being one of them. No where to be seen here.

They screwed up, because the basic story was "too complicated to tell." Even though they complicated it up themselves by forcefully, unnecesarily shoving Megan O'Fox into the thing.

Quote:
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/teen...-ninja-turtles

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/teen..._turtles_2013/

Sure, the reviews could have been zero out of 100. But I don't think that's possible.

Quote:
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #46
sdp
-

Quote:
Of course, why wouldn't we? When has a sequel to a film that got a majority of negative reviews ever turned out good or even better than the previous film? Usually they're just as bad, if not worse, than the previous entry.
Then why are you here? write off the movie franchise as lame and don't frequent this section of the forum since it's not toy our liking.

Quote:
How about the fact they made the Turtles and Splinter learn ninjitsu from some freaking book found randomly in a sewers? That's even dumber and less realistic than Splinter learning it from Hamato Yoshi by mimicking his moves from a cage.
Are you seriously suggesting any of these is more realistic than the other?

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that it was still considered to be terrible by critics and fans.
And yet it made money, the general audience liked it. Transformers is shat upon by the internet and critics and yet people watch them and generally like them. Hell most geeks watch the flipping movies and post the trailers just to criticize them? I think they kind of like it...
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #47
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
And yet it made money, the general audience liked it.
Which still doesn't make it a good movie.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #48
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
Which still doesn't make it a good movie.
Well if you're expecting Casablanca then no, but I'm not trying to say it's a great movie but it's a decent movie and doesn't deserve the hate that it gets. The quotes you are getting from me are in reply to that specific conversation that says the critics opinion and divisive fan opinion prove that the movie sucks. Umm..no. Critics are usually a good gauge but they also rate great movies badly. The fact that it has a divisive fan opinion proves it's not terrible. Most everyone agree that TNM sucks for example, that's not really divisive in the fanbase so that means the 2014 film did something right. It also did something right because it made money and people generally liked it which is something the 2007 film was never able to achieve. So yeah critics and half of the fanbase didnt' like it, that's far from the worst movie and they ruined the turtles and raped my childhood comments you see posted. Of course the movie had flaws but I still believe as of right now it's redeemable, not saying it will but the first movie doesn't make me want to jump ship from the new movie franchise.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #49
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Well if you're expecting Casablanca then no
No. Nobody is expecting Casablanca. We are expecting a competently written, acted, directed movie as well as faithful to the overarching Turtle lore.

We didn't get either of those things, outside of very superficial bits that a braindead chimp couldn't have gotten wrong.

Quote:
but I'm not trying to say it's a great movie but it's a decent movie and doesn't deserve the hate that it gets.
It really, really does. Because it is poorly written, poorly acted, and poorly directed.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #50
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Exactly. No, I don't expect Casablanca or Citizen Kane, but it could have been Guardians of the Galaxy. Instead we get Batman Forever (or maybe "And Robin")

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #51
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Exactly. No, I don't expect Casablanca or Citizen Kane, but it could have been Guardians of the Galaxy. Instead we get Batman Forever (or maybe "And Robin")
This. Exactly this.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #52
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
No. Nobody is expecting Casablanca. We are expecting a competently written, acted, directed movie as well as faithful to the overarching Turtle lore.

We didn't get either of those things, outside of very superficial bits that a braindead chimp couldn't have gotten wrong.

It really, really does. Because it is poorly written, poorly acted, and poorly directed.
Well in your opinion, I was at least able to tolerate the movie, something I wasn't able to with the Nick cartoon.

And I don't see how you were expecting those things from the 2014 movie since we knew fairly early this was not going to be the case, you easily had almost 2 years worth of warning that it wasn't going to be a traditional TMNT movie. Also there is no faithful overarching TMNT lore, all TMNT continuities go their own way, unless you mean the movie Laird was planning which pretty much died the day Viacom bought the turtles.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #53
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hey, I liked Batman Forever. Hated the neon and Riddler's look at the final battle as well as not getting into Two Face's psyche but it was a great set of characters and better than Returns and B&R.

Acting abilities has me worried. Script has me worried though I do like the set of characters that are being used. Best set of any film thus far. That was the same thing Batman Forever had going for me since Robin and Riddler are two of top favorites.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #54
Desslok
Hench Mutant

I would never have expected this. Sheamus is good at playing the obnoxious thug type though so this could be fun.

Watch Episodes | Latest Updates | More Fun
Desslok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #55
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desslok View Post
I would never have expected this. Sheamus is good at playing the obnoxious thug type though so this could be fun.
Plus hes Irish, So are we getting an Irish Rocksteady? We already have a Russian Rocksteady in the Nick cartoon.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #56
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

sooo

ridiculous. but fairly spot on
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #57
Sarigar
Mouser

You know, I get the negativity, I really do. I cried foul when I first heard the name Micheal Bay and "ALIEN TURTLES", hated the way the turtles looked in the first reveal, the first mention of Eric Sachs as Shredder and avoided the film like the plague when it hit theaters. And I didn't pay a dime to see it when it finally hit my local library. Once I saw it I cringed about how badly they f'd up the origin story and the lack of Yoshi/Saki back story. Just shaking my head the whole time "WHY? WHY? WHY DID YOU CHANGE THAT??" ...And yet, the performances of the 4 turtles kind of won me over, after having to do the mental gymnastics of saying, "Hey maybe if they changed this and this, it would be better" ......having said all that, it seems like they are doing some significant course correction and with the exception of Fox/Arnett this is coming across as a soft reboot. First they hired new director who's debut film is nothing like Liebesman and secondly they it looks like we are getting an actual ninja Foot clan, a non-Transformer Shredder, cartoon-accurate versions of Bebop and Rocksteady, and Casey Jones.

I just don't get he unstoppable hate train that keeps continuing with each new pic from this film. I get the mentality of "Once bitten, twice shy.", but this film looks like it has a lot more going for it than the first. I'm hopeful. There are many in-story ways then can re-con the first one or they can just ignore it all together. We still have no idea what the turtles will look like in the sequel.
Sarigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #58
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarigar View Post
I just don't get he unstoppable hate train that keeps continuing with each new pic from this film. I get the mentality of "Once bitten, twice shy.", but this film looks like it has a lot more going for it than the first. I'm hopeful. There are many in-story ways then can re-con the first one or they can just ignore it all together. We still have no idea what the turtles will look like in the sequel.
The "hate-train" stems from the over-crowding, sexualized April, Applebaum & Nemec returning (it was unanimously agreed upon that the writing was the worst aspect of the first), characters like Sacks still being involved, a continually confusing lack of tone consistency, etc.

There are exciting elements to this production, no doubt about it, but these elements are in the hands of some questionable people.

As far as the turtles looks are concerned, this piece (as well as the original maquettes that match it) is on set, confirming they look the same-

& lest anyone say "Look, there's less gear! They're changing things!" remember the original pieces don't have that gear, either.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #59
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
The "hate-train" stems from the over-crowding, sexualized April, Applebaum & Nemec returning (it was unanimously agreed upon that the writing was the worst aspect of the first), characters like Sacks still being involved, a continually confusing lack of tone consistency, etc.

There are exciting elements to this production, no doubt about it, but these elements are in the hands of some questionable people.

As far as the turtles looks are concerned, this piece (as well as the original maquettes that match it) is on set, confirming they look the same-
http://i60.tinypic.com/2bw7xc.jpg

& lest anyone say "Look, there's less gear! They're changing things!" remember the original pieces don't have that gear, either.
Why is that like... a Raph/Leo Two-Face deal? I mean bandana/doorag colors aside, Leo and Raph have very different faces.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #60
sdp
-

Well the turtles are CG so anything can change up to the last minute. Hell they added a real shredder last time to the movie. That maquette is pretty cool though reminds me of composite-superman.

Quote:
Nah, the hate-train never stopped from the whole Alien Turtles rumor stories. The over-crowding does seem like a concern Avengers 2, Superman/Batman all seem to be doing the same thing, we'll see if they'll be able to manage so many characters. April has usually been sexualized, don't see how besides the hate of Megan Fox it being a huge problem. Not sure what Applebaum and Nemec wrote in the first movie but if you mention it's the worst aspects then that kind of sucks. I'm kind of happy Sachs is still involved, it would be more annoying to have such a prominent character of the first movie just ignored instead of somehow redeemed.

Last edited by sdp; 05-28-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Tags
bebop, rocksteady