The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Do you think Bebop and Rocksteady will be human before mutation?

Since we know Bebop/Rocksteady are going to be in this film, how do you think they will be handled? I'll hate it if they go the "lab animals mutated" route with these two.

In every incarnation Bebop and Rocksteady were humans (original cartoon, Archie, IDW and Nick) prior to their mutation and Bebop was always black. Rocksteady became Russian in the Nick show but he still has blonde hair in every incarnation.

A part of what makes Bebop/Rocksteady appealing is they weren't just "farm animals" mutated but had prior human lives. It was the first "humans to animal" mutations we ever had in the series besides Splinter's human origin. What do you think?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:47 PM   #2
sethmartin
Stone Warrior

I've always liked the "animals becoming humanoid" version of the ooze better than "last animal you touched" version. However, I agree with you on Bebop and Rocksteady starting as humans. They will probably just follow the same mutagen rules as the first movie, but you never know.
sethmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

Honestly I see them keeping the human to mutant mutation. Unlike the Turtles, Bebop and Rocksteady have maintained a consistent origin, insofar as being human furst,
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I would kind of prefer it and it would seem a bit more reasonable that they were sneaky and somehow obtained DNA from those animals to use. Rather than, I dunno, stealing animals from the zoo?

At the same time though, if these two happen because Eric Sacks sets out to recreate the mutagen and make more mutants... How humans turn into another species would require more explanation when that wasn't what happened before.

Although personally, given how human these Turtles leaned, I wish they'd just go ahead and reveal that human DNA was involved to begin with with them. And I guess that way they could just claim to have recreated the mutagen but reversed the DNA part by using warthog and rhino DNA on humans this time.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

I bet that in the original script for the first one, where they used the mutagen on the Foot to create super-soldier mutants, that idea was pitched with the idea of using a similar method to create Bebop and Rocksteady in the sequel.

So, it could be a remnant of a discarded earlier idea, basically. It might be tough to explain in this one, but possibly easier if they had kept the original plot for the first one intact.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I will be absolutely livid if Bebop isn't black and Rocksteady isn't white before mutation. I hate whitewashing and it was bad enough they originally planned to do it with Shredder with Eric Sachs.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

What if Bebop is "Jamaican Black" as opposed to "African Black"? Still good?

Old 03-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #8
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Fuuny, Cubed- here I thought your biggest beef would be "more nostrils".....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:16 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They kind of have to be. Otherwise you'll just get Tokka and Rahzar in TMNT Part 2 in the guise of a warthog and rhinoceros.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:26 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Fuuny, Cubed- here I thought your biggest beef would be "more nostrils".....
Those two are no doubt destined to have huge ones. Will probably be able to drive a bus through them.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I bet that in the original script for the first one, where they used the mutagen on the Foot to create super-soldier mutants, that idea was pitched with the idea of using a similar method to create Bebop and Rocksteady in the sequel.

So, it could be a remnant of a discarded earlier idea, basically. It might be tough to explain in this one, but possibly easier if they had kept the original plot for the first one intact.
Wouldn't the original script be the Blue Door?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:38 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

You know what I mean, the script that they were in the middle of filming when they had people from Latino Review on the set. There was a whole subplot about Sachs using the mutagen on Foot soldiers to create super-soldiers that was apparently filmed and then dropped from the final movie, probably because it betrayed Sachs as being Shredder, either in reference or otherwise.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:05 AM   #13
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I will be absolutely livid if Bebop isn't black and Rocksteady isn't white before mutation. I hate whitewashing and it was bad enough they originally planned to do it with Shredder with Eric Sachs.
Make that two of us - I fully support this.

That being said, I wouldn't count on seeing them as humans for long, if at all.
Any real explanation or backstory will be eschewed for basketball or goofy Vernon tripping over himself on a date.

You know, the important stuff.

I sure hope he makes another sandwich, cause damn, that was riveting!
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:53 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I'd be livid for even including them at a--... you know what, nevermind. Just let this trainwreck happen, and further sink anything resembling a proper Turtles movie movie by another 10 years.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:57 AM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

In this case? They will probably start out as animals, if they don't then... Well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrom scientist or whoever they decide is the type of character responsible for their mutation
Well since we needed to combat you turtles or whatever since the last movie, or maybe we just felt like making more mutants for some other reason, we made Bebop and Rocksteady! Instead of just taking zoo animals and use our already successful animal-to-humanoid formula for our mutagen (which is hard to get in the first place remember), we decided to make two variations on it that turns humans into animals even though it seems to give no different results at all doing it that way. Also, we used street punks, random ass street punks...

Yeah, for the sake of simplicity they will probably start out as animals this time around.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
In this case? They will probably start out as animals
If they're literally going out for stupid. Which is possible... and would be true to their oddly stupider than normal people personas in the Fred Wolf show... but I doubt they'd do that. They'd probably want to go more for an IDW sort of level on them, which would necessitate them being human and possessing some level of sentience before their mutation.

Otherwise, you splash some mutagen on a warthog or a rhinoceros -- and this is the nonsense Fred Wolf sort of mutagen, must be, otherwise it'd take years -- they're not going to just sit up a few hours later and talk about "Toitle soup," they're going to just charge at you and go "RAHHHHHHH!!!!" when you don't throw food their way. And probably poop all over the place.

Hell, maybe that's exactly what they're doing.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:15 AM   #17
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

They'll find a way to use the wonder-cure, that also happen to mutate creatures, to act as the Fred Wolf mutagen when it's been "scientifically meddled with".
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

Bebop generally has to be human because it explains where the shades and purple mohawk are from. Why would an animal be able to grow human hair (that's dyed purple no less) and wear sunglasses? It makes no sense.

Bebop being a black urban-style street punk with a purple dyed mohawk and shades on the other hand makes sense with his design.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:25 AM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If they're literally going out for stupid. Which is possible... and would be true to their oddly stupider than normal people personas in the Fred Wolf show... but I doubt they'd do that. They'd probably want to go more for an IDW sort of level on them, which would necessitate them being human and possessing some level of sentience before their mutation.

Otherwise, you splash some mutagen on a warthog or a rhinoceros -- and this is the nonsense Fred Wolf sort of mutagen, must be, otherwise it'd take years -- they're not going to just sit up a few hours later and talk about "Toitle soup," they're going to just charge at you and go "RAHHHHHHH!!!!" when you don't throw food their way. And probably poop all over the place.

Hell, maybe that's exactly what they're doing.
Who said anything about hours? Who even said anything about them mutating within the movie? The movie will probably take place two years after the events of the first movie, that's plenty of time to make a pair of mutants.

Quote:
Bebop generally has to be human because it explains where the shades and purple mohawk are from. Why would an animal be able to grow human hair (that's dyed purple no less) and wear sunglasses? It makes no sense.

Bebop being a black urban-style street punk with a purple dyed mohawk and shades on the other hand makes sense with his design.
Who knows if he'll even have a mohawk this time around?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:41 AM   #20
Orochi
Foot Soldier

Does it really matter what ethnicity Bebop and Rocksteady are? I think really we should go for who would work in the role, and my ideal casting is Michael Chiklis as Bebop and Terry Crews as Rocksteady, yes the races are inverted to what we commonly see, but does it really matter? If the actors for the roles are right, there's no point in arguing what race they are. Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury worked great (even though the Ultimate one was already based on him) and as did Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin. Personally, I'll even be fine with them simply being animals first, given that I don't honestly think Bebop's shades and purple mohawk work in this more gritty film universe. Give him some tactical goggles and maybe a brown tuft roughly in the shape of a mohawk on his head and I'll be happy.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebop, rocksteady