The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 02:30 AM   #81
Hakase
Foot Soldier

I was about 7 in 2003, when the show aired. I remember watching it on Cartoon Network a lot, and having a few DVDs. I was in the target audience when it aired. Rewatching it, I think the target audience was for 6-14.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #82
Gorilla Grodd
Thug

I was 17 when the show started and I don't think I even found out it was a thing until a year or two later. This was during a phase where I had no real time to watch TV so the 4kids TV show was one of a few dozen shows that I had on my To Do List and ended up watching many years later.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #83
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I was 17 when the cartoon started airing in Ireland on RTE Two in September 2003. I watched '03 in my late teens and early 20s when it was on the air from 2003 to the late 00s. The show was put in a bad time slot at first on Wednesday afternoons, so I was only able to watch random episodes every now and then for the first two seasons.

"Garbageman" was the first episode of '03 that I saw. It's one of the worst episodes of the series, but I still liked it and the serious tone reminded me a bit of the Red Sky seasons of '87. I only became a fan of the show, though, after seeing some of the later episodes like "The Shredder Strikes Part 2" and "Tales of Leo".

The cartoon had good characterisation and story arcs and was based on the original Mirage Comics. I hadn't heard of the Mirage Comics at the time, though, so everything that happened on the show was new to me. I liked the intro (it looked badass) and thought that the show was aimed at an older audience. I thought the Shredder was terrifying in the first season.

Last edited by Wesley; 05-24-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 AM   #84
JakeSully
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboraph4life aka Matt View Post
Saw the first episode when it came out in 2003, and I was 20 years old. So nah, I wasn't the target audience. But it definitely had stuff for older folks/fans of the characters which I appreciated and loved.
Most agree, i was 22 when it came out and it was more darker than the original series yet more in tune with the comics.
JakeSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 AM   #85
Gunstar_Red
Foot Soldier

I think I was 16 or 17 when I started watching (it was around my last year of high school). So no, I was not the target audience I guess. But I think it was well written enough (at least the first 4 seasons) that a "target audience" is vague for a show like it.

"Surrender to the fact that life isn't fair."
Gunstar_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:58 AM   #86
Mew
Banned

I was born in 2003.
My bro probably watched it, and I did, too.
A do remember seeing 2k7 TMNT theatrically, and like I was obsessive about it.
Wow.......I'm still the same.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #87
mrminister4446
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakase View Post
I was about 7 in 2003, when the show aired. I remember watching it on Cartoon Network a lot, and having a few DVDs. I was in the target audience when it aired. Rewatching it, I think the target audience was for 6-14.
Basically this ^^ for me too. I also had loads of toys from the show. They only aired seasons 1-2 where I live, so I was annoyed when I found out I had missed out on so many episodes. I knew that the last episode of rouge in the house 2 was quite a big loose end, since shredder survived, but no episodes followed, so years later, after it stopped airing, when I was a bit older, I randomly searched something like "final shredder battle" on youtube, and clicked on the first one, which was the demon shredder battle. So naturally I went like "WOAH, loads of things happened" and I decided to watch it all. I had no idea how the shredder ended up with demonic powers xD

Last edited by mrminister4446; 02-17-2015 at 02:28 PM.
mrminister4446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #88
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

I was 16-17, so no I wasn't. I didn't even watch the show until I was 25
Old 05-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #89
billbot85
Mad Scientist

Sorry for bumping this old thread.

I was in high school when this series came out, so unfortunately I felt that I was "too old" to be watching this series. However, I finally decided to give it a watch.

I understand that this series follows the Mirage comics a little more closely, and is therefore darker. However, what else should I keep in mind while watching this series? Thanks!!

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #90
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I was 30 years old when this series came out, I think it appealed to a bit of an older audience, There were times when the show gets pretty dark.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #91
billbot85
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I was 30 years old when this series came out, I think it appealed to a bit of an older audience, There were times when the show gets pretty dark.
I just started watching it, and yeah, I can totally tell that it appeals to an older audience. Unfortunately, my high school mindset wouldn't have thought that way. That's why its great being able to visit these shows as an adult and appreciate them more. So far, I'm liking the series.

But considering that I've only seen the OT and the Nick series, what should I keep in mind while watching this series?

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #92
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbot85 View Post
I just started watching it, and yeah, I can totally tell that it appeals to an older audience. Unfortunately, my high school mindset wouldn't have thought that way. That's why its great being able to visit these shows as an adult and appreciate them more. So far, I'm liking the series.

But considering that I've only seen the OT and the Nick series, what should I keep in mind while watching this series?
That show was pretty dark because, Baxter Stockman gets abused by the Shredder when ever he fails, to the point where, Hes a brain in a jar. The Shredder on this series just downright tortures Baxter, Which is why as the show progress, He has some sort of injuries, Like missing one eye and such.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #93
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm surprised how many people still haven't watched this series. Its been more than a decade since it came out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #94
xbennoda
Random Punk

I was 13 when it first aired in 2k3... Wow I feel old :/

"...and walk this way"
xbennoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #95
ImmaAxolotl
Foot Soldier

I was 7 when this show came out. This, Pokémon, and Kirby were like my life force, I loved them so much! I mostly forgot about it after Turtles Forever and began to think that it was "kids' stuff". Thankfully about 2 years ago I fell in love with it again! It's nice to appreciate the good things in life!
Old 05-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #96
Leo656
The Franchise

It had a kind of sh*tty time slot and the people who would have been most interested in a new TMNT show - people aged 18-25 - had college and responsibilities and "partying" on their minds, not getting up by 10am to watch TMNT cartoons. A ton of people didn't have the show on their radar until way later on, once it was done or almost done.

I tried to turn some of my friends on to it when it was new; most of them, even the biggest TMNT fans, were more concerned with sleeping off a hangover on Saturday mornings. Doesn't surprise me at all that a ton of people missed it. Disappointed, sure, but not surprised.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #97
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It had a kind of sh*tty time slot and the people who would have been most interested in a new TMNT show - people aged 18-25 - had college and responsibilities and "partying" on their minds, not getting up by 10am to watch TMNT cartoons.
As a kid I always woke up super early. Kids are wired to wake up early on the weekends. By 10 AM their minds are on other things. So yeah, 10 AM wasn't especially good for young children either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbennoda View Post
I was 13 when it first aired in 2k3... Wow I feel old :/
Dude... your sig is waaaaaaay too big.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #98
Leo656
The Franchise

Thank you for adding some Calvin & Hobbes to my day. Hands-down, the greatest strip ever.

I always loved how the parents in the strip were exactly the way REAL parents are with their kids. Not like sitcom parents whose kids are their precious treasure, but REAL parents, who spend a great amount of time wishing they'd just gotten a dog and called it even. Terrific.

And yeah fix that sig, that's a whole damn page. Oof.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #99
CyberCubed
Overlord

I was 17 when the 2k3 series started and about 23 when it ended. And I watched every episode when it was new every Saturday Morning at 10am. Never missed an episode during its first showing.

Also I don't know how anyone thinks 10am is "late" as that was the same time Pokemon aired on Saturday mornings.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #100
Leo656
The Franchise

It's not the best time slot when the majority of your "real" target audience of 18-23 year old males with nostalgia for the 80s cartoon, were up until 4am on a booze-and-coke bender. That's what people typically do on a Friday night/Saturday morning at that age. They don't get up early and watch cartoons.

Tags
4kids