The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Who else loved the crystal ball rolling a la Labyrinth?
"Where did he pull out the bazooka?" "I have theories, none of them pleasant..." 32 30.19%
I don't wanna be stuck in the 1980s!! 34 32.08%
You shall not Pass! 23 21.70%
Yes! I'm handsome again... 7 6.60%
Wait... so this kid gets left to rot in the sewers alone, yet they search for a cure for Timothy? 10 9.43%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

The line about Mikey thinking medieval times meant the 1980's was hilarious. The 80's are so long ago now yet its when TMNT started.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #22
pannoni1
Foot Elite

IMO this episode is akin to Leonardo versus Tempestra in the OT, where this time instead of an arcade machine coming to life its an RPG. But it doesn't too as good of a job using imagination as this one, even including the heavy cliched "use your imagination". At least Splinter does mention about finding more mutagen and the Turtles have recently pounded Shredder/Kraang, so it has that typical episodic yet comedic tone to it. I felt Sir Malachi was ok, but doesn't have that much of a personality. I agree the CG background limitations made the maze seem rather boring in design, and the fighting wasn't as good as other episodes. They could have done a better job with the Raphael as a turkey sound effects, and having just the head covered was something. The cliches of an RPG game were just so predictable that it feels like this episode was written in about 30 minutes. The riddles were somewhat telling but rather meh. I myself enjoyed the 2D show-within-a-show scene better personally.

The Bottom line: Enjoy for some laughs, but not for action and take it as a satire of the main storylines of the franchise.

Overall: 5/10

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #23
bridgegrn
Foot Soldier

This episode reminds me of a story my mom's friend told me.Back in the 80s I guess he knew Eastman and Laird, pre TMNT, and while they were playing D&D they told him about the comic they were working on about mutated turtles who know ninja. My mom's friend thought it was silly and didn't think much of it. The rest is history.
bridgegrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #24
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Lord of the Rings + TMNT = This AWESOME Episode!

Never laughed this hard during an Episode, and the whole set-up was just really fun stuff!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

To be honest I never cared for larp or real-life role playing. The whole thing always sounded so awful and boring to me.

Is this what nerds did in real life before online multiplayer RPG's were created? Glad I wasn't born in ancient times.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #26
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also did Mikey just say, "Son?" Why are they having him speak in ebonic slang?
You need to learn what ebonic slang is.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
You need to learn what ebonic slang is.
I've never seen anyone use the term, "Son" to describe someone not of relation to them other than that type of slang.

Between that and the dudebro fist-bumps that are working their way into modern society, this is stuff I never saw growing up when I was a kid.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #28
pannoni1
Foot Elite

Quote:
To be honest I never cared for larp or real-life role playing. The whole thing always sounded so awful and boring to me.

Is this what nerds did in real life before online multiplayer RPG's were created? Glad I wasn't born in ancient times.
Pretty much, since you can see actual dice being used. If you really want to see, just try out TMNT and Other Strangeness. It can be very creative and forces you to use your imagination more than a digital RPG. But of course not all nerds did this, typically the same audience that does the Multiplayer RPG's today, with traditional RPGs mostly as a form of nostalgia from the original audience who played with them. I'm just disappointed that Nick didn't base this episode off of the Palladium series because it would have been fun to see an animated version of one of the pioneering moments of the franchise. Anyone remember the Heroes Unlimited RPG's?

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #29
Vicky82
Emperor

As I said earlier, not the best episode so far this series but had some good and funny moments and had lot's of references But it was a weak/filler episode. It could have done with more monsters/traps and the fighting wasn't great.

Good moments

-The Turtles costumes were great I like how they made them using stuff in the lair. I like Leo's cape it has a duck on it and his helmet with rulers on the side of it. I also like Donny's staff with a snowglobe on it.
-ICK giving Splinter a cheese - sickle
-Cameos (even though only Illusions) of April, Dr Rockwell and Leatherhead
-Leo holding Donny back when they think Sir Malachi captured April
-Sir Malachi backstory - He is a mutant sparrow, turns out he's a kid called Martin Marvin who was obsessed with Mazes and Mutants game,

Funny moments
Mikey thinks the 1980's is the medieval times
Mikey thinks Sir Malachi talking in Spanish
Raph's head turns into a turkey head
Exploding bird poop coming out of Sir Malachi's butt

The Lord of The Rings References
Mikey gettin obsessed with the ring and acting like Gollum,
Donny shouting 'You Shall not Pass'
Sir Malachi saying ' Fellowship of the Turtles'
Raph saying he doesn't do rings
Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

I would have rathered Malachi not be a mutant and simply being a transdimentional being.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #31
LivingMutagen
Hench Mutant

Wait, Raph is voiced by Sean Astin, otherwise known as Samwise Gamgee from the LOTR films. And he said he doesn't do rings was a pretty cool reference to that.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #32
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I thought it was a pretty fun episode. Manhattan Project blew me away, so this one honestly felt like a deep breath before the plunge. See what I did there? Loved the new mutant. I was thinking he'd turn out to be another adversary for episodes to come, but it's nice to see the guys hopefully gaining a potential ally later on. Loved all of the LOTR references. Raph would definitely make a great Gimleyesk character. How'd you guys like Paulsen's Ian McKellen impersonation? I was hoping we'd get one of those! ha!

I wasn't expecting the writers to go into Martin's origin but was pleasantly surprised. Hoping we see him again at some point. He needs to be roomies with Pete. I'm curious as to how Martin was able to effect the turtles' minds. Is this some crazy mutant power kinda thing? Or is he taking lessons from Mandrake The Magician? Master of magic spells and elusion, enemies crumble in fear and confusion and all that. Kidding. Seriously though, I'm interested in this guy's abilities. Hope we find out more in a future episode. As always, Ciro and crew had me captivated until the very end. Just got a TV pass on amazon instant vid and am absolutely stoked for what is still to come. Next weekend can't get hear fast enough! Bring on Baxter!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Finally saw the episode, Thought it was pretty good, Loved all the LOTR references.

I don't think we heard the last of Sir Malachi
Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #34
Xav
Foot Elite

So how exactly does Sir Malachi have magic powers, and how the heck does he know who April, Dr. Rockwell, and Leatherhead are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannoni1 View Post
IMO this episode is akin to Leonardo versus Tempestra in the OT, where this time instead of an arcade machine coming to life its an RPG.
Nah this episode is more akin to SuperQuest from BTTS.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #35
snake
Disgusting

Darn....I missed it. I'm currently downloading it on iTunes.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #36
ticktack
Foot Soldier

I've remembered that the mutant sparrow when saying dragon, he didn't mentioned or said Leatherhead and I like it: it's like unexpected and woah flametrowing LH, is he a dragon? And with an anthromorpopic ape the turtles(Leo) supposed him or them to be monkey goblins in a game and later said he is like a character they met before. Sparrow directly said princess April, he could have said just princess.? And when telling the rules.
Some episodes back April was offended when she was called a princess, Karai called her that way.

Is it that "princess" is a diminishing trait... inahdasshow?
ticktack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #37
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
I've never seen anyone use the term, "Son" to describe someone not of relation to them other than that type of slang.

Between that and the dudebro fist-bumps that are working their way into modern society, this is stuff I never saw growing up when I was a kid.
Just because you lived a sheltered life doesn't mean you get to be a racist.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #38
Xav
Foot Elite

Doesn't Stone Cold call people son?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #39
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

I thought it was an ok episode, kind of pointless really.
I liked Sir Malachi but this episodes leaves tuns of questions open.
I guess though perhaps he could read the guys minds and that's how he knew who all of those other characters are?
Mikey's 1980's line was probably the best part of the episode for me.
I actually found this mornings show to be quite annoying as Mikey was really over the top + the commercials that Nick ran made me want to jab my eyes and ears out.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #40
ToTheNines
[sic]

Fun episode. Couple of plot holes regarding Malachi and his powers, but I'm glad they just had a light hearted episode after the epic Manhattan Project.

I want to figure out if they're using an alternate for any of Leo's lines though. It's happened several times this season, and he sounded so weird when he said "that's not the real Leatherhead.

Quote:

Also did Mikey just say, "Son?" Why are they having him speak in ebonic slang?
Quote:

You are such a loser.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
episode discussion, larp, nick, sir malachi, tmnt 2012