The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #7721
IMJ
Emperor

Just watched American Assassin last night.... surprisingly good flick, I couldn't believe it!

Some of the stuff Michael Keaton does in that? HAHAHHA OMG! Like when he bites that $#!( bags ear off and then chews it and smiles? HAHAHAHHA Holy $#!(...
And all things considered, for a flick that was never going to be a billion dollar theatrical hit, the special effects at the end with the Navy fleet and the nuclear bomb were pretty good.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:24 AM   #7722
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Rewatched Ratatouille last night, and after seeing what those rats could do, I have come to a conclusion- Remy and his colony were descendents of the NIMH rats! Remy could read and follow cooking recipes, all of them knew how to use door handles and open locks, even with keys, Remy was against stealing as "wrong".... It all makes sense if you realize they were descended from the colony of Nicodemus and Justin. How they ended up in France is anyone's guess, but maybe they had to emigrate to escape being hunted? In any case, Remy and his family were NOT ordinary rats!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #7723
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Arlo the Alligator Boy. Decent and cute enough movie, could have been a little better, imo, to be honest. Was a little off put by the amount of singing as a lot of it felt like it constantly stopped the movie in i's tracks. (Though that is probably also partly noticeable coming off a different new series whose songs largely push the plot forward instead.)

In world full of regular humans, it really needs an explanation as to why these hybrid beings even exist in the first place and...
Spoiler:
...how an "alligator boy" comes from a human/bird man father. Never really saw his mother. Maybe she's got the alligator thing happening, but Arlo was born in a hospital which seems questionable if she's not a regular human.

But... what the heck was the creepy pumpkin head kid at the end.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:33 AM   #7724
newfan
Mad Scientist

Blade Movies. I decided to re-watch them seen as they came up on the movie channels. I really only had much memory of the first one, so far I've watched 1 and 2. They still hold up, 1 being preferred to 2.

Also re-watched a couple of the Ghibli Studio movies with my children, the most watched of those are Howl's Moving Castle (which just might be my favourite), Spirited Away and My Neigbour Totorro.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:36 AM   #7725
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Blade Movies. I decided to re-watch them seen as they came up on the movie channels. I really only had much memory of the first one, so far I've watched 1 and 2. They still hold up, 1 being preferred to 2.

Also re-watched a couple of the Ghibli Studio movies with my children, the most watched of those are Howl's Moving Castle (which just might be my favourite), Spirited Away and My Neigbour Totorro.
Everybody seemed to like Blade 2 better than 1 for years after it came out. I always liked the first one best. I feel like they're fairly similar to the Burton Batmans. 1 was solid, 2 was STILL GOOD but maybe veered off into a particular director's weird penchant. And similar to Batman Returns, Blade 2 only really gave a story to the new characters... Blade himself didn't really get an arc.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:40 AM   #7726
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Everybody seemed to like Blade 2 better than 1 for years after it came out. I always liked the first one best. I feel like they're fairly similar to the Burton Batmans. 1 was solid, 2 was STILL GOOD but maybe veered off into a particular director's weird penchant. And similar to Batman Returns, Blade 2 only really gave a story to the new characters... Blade himself didn't really get an arc.
Huh, there's one for the thread of better sequels then, for some. Get what you mean about the new characters, I did think it was good movie but still prefer the first. On to the 3rd next and even though though I saw it at the theatre I barely remember it, some time ago now though. Also thought a refresh would be a good idea with talk for the series coming out.... if it still is?

Last edited by newfan; 08-08-2021 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #7727
TylerD
Random Punk

Watched the Last Mercenary on Netflix.... Jean Claude Van Damme's latest movie. It actually wasn't too bad at all. It's a French comedy, so I didn't understand some of the jokes but it was entertaining with some great fight scenes. Man oh man Van Damme must be in his 60's and can still split like crazy! Give it a 7/10
TylerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:22 PM   #7728
Leo656
The Franchise

"Heavy Metal", which I just got on Blu-ray.

Been a while since I seen it, and last time was on VHS. Looked great.

Still awesome. More tits than I remembered there being.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #7729
TylerD
Random Punk

The Boy Behind The Door on Shudder. It got excellent reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I would give it a 7/10. It had some very good acting from the kids, and was intense at times. It is your basic story of a kidnapping and them trying to escape..... I wouldn't say it's over the top great or a 10 out of 10 but it's definitely entertaining. If you have Shudder, give it a watch.
TylerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:53 PM   #7730
Leo656
The Franchise

"Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight".

Man, I hadn't seen it in a while but I always forget just how good this movie is. Billy Zane steals the show and plays a hell of a villain. Go get 'em, John Justice Wheeler! (Obligatory "Twin Peaks" reference)

We're about to watch the original 1972 "Tales From The Crypt" movie. I don't think I've ever seen it before. I generally like anthology-style horror movies like "Creepshow" so I expect I'll like this one fine.

EDIT:

Yeah, that was pretty good as old-fashioned 70s horror movies go. I've definitely seen parts of it before, but I don't think I've seen the whole thing. Might've been one of those movies we watched in my Creative Writing class back in high school.

The "Vault of Horror" movie is on the same DVD but I know for a fact I've never seen that one. Might watch it tomorrow.

Last edited by Leo656; 08-19-2021 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:41 AM   #7731
newfan
Mad Scientist

The original Candyman movie as I have never seen it through. Poor guy.. some harsh stuff in the movie ( so glad the baby didn't get burned to death, even Michael Myers walked past a baby and didn't kill it) Anyway, it was a good movie. I'm not sure if she had replaced him in the end or if they were co-existing.

Also re-watched Paranoman (kid watching), I liked both this and Coraline from Laika, watched a number of times.

Currently, I am checking out For the love of Spock, It's categorised as a film but it's a documentary. Something Leonard Nimoy started with his son, as I liked that character I figured it would be interesting to watch.

Last edited by newfan; 09-08-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #7732
IMJ
Emperor

Some of those Star Trek docs are pretty good. "The Captains" was actually awesome - Shatner goes around and interviews everyone. Avery Brooks is out there, man. OMG...
Old 09-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #7733
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Some of those Star Trek docs are pretty good. "The Captains" was actually awesome - Shatner goes around and interviews everyone. Avery Brooks is out there, man. OMG...
Yeah, that was pretty shocking. Yet I look at that and then see Avery speaking on stage in videos and such and... while he's a little out there, he holds it together. I really wonder if somehow Shatner either rubbed him the wrong way and he was kind of trolling him during the interview.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #7734
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Oh, I didn't even know about that, might take a look for it.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #7735
Leo656
The Franchise

I mentioned it in the other thread, but last night we watched "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Drive".

Such a big fan of Lynch's whole entire aesthetic. The visual style, musical style, the way he creates an atmosphere, the way he builds tension, the use of color and shadow, just all of it. His movies definitely aren't what you want to watch when you're in the mood for a disposable popcorn experience where everything is simple and straightforward, but I greatly appreciate that, as well. Everything I've seen of his stuff so far is the kind of thing that demands engagement during the viewing of it, and then stays with you for a while after it's over. And I love that.

Not sure which one I liked better, they were both very good and deal with a lot of similar themes and ideas, albeit in different ways. Two of the best movies I've ever seen, though, regardless. Maybe a slight edge to Mulholland since it's not quite as overwhelmingly bleak and surreal, which lends itself more to repeat viewings over time. But they're both very, very, very good.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:07 AM   #7736
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah, that was pretty shocking. Yet I look at that and then see Avery speaking on stage in videos and such and... while he's a little out there, he holds it together. I really wonder if somehow Shatner either rubbed him the wrong way and he was kind of trolling him during the interview.
Wow, I hadn't even considered that. I just figured that maybe Avery was playing eccentric a bit for "artist reasons xyz". I don't know how Shatner could've rubbed him the wrong way, but if he did then Avery is the one who came out of it looking - problematic. But I hadn't considered that until you mentioned it here and now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Oh, I didn't even know about that, might take a look for it.
You have to, man. There's something intensely gratifying about it as it covers the gamut of "Star Trek" info through a window into the lives these guys have and even somehow that part of your fandom that hopes for that crossover that we will never get. Even though they aren't in character it's neat that Shatner sits down with all of them.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:43 PM   #7737
Leo656
The Franchise

"Wild At Heart". Pretty good! I'm usually not big on Nic Cage but his over-the-top shenanigans felt a bit more appropriate in this one. Laura Dern was good in it too; I saw a lot more of her naked than I thought. Like a LOT. How'd I ever miss this one?

Definitely one of the most "conventional" movies Lynch ever made, although a bunch of his usual motifs do show up, along with a bunch of his familiar actors. Good stuff.

About to watch "The Elephant Man." Haven't seen that in a while.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:04 PM   #7738
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, I can't believe I've never seen Wild at Heart. Or if I did, it was at 2 AM on Cinemax or something when I was like 12.

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't even considered that. I just figured that maybe Avery was playing eccentric a bit for "artist reasons xyz". I don't know how Shatner could've rubbed him the wrong way, but if he did then Avery is the one who came out of it looking - problematic. But I hadn't considered that until you mentioned it here and now....
It's fairly easy to make the other guy look crazy when you're the one basically in charge of the editors' room. In a doc. Granted, Avery left him a lot of... ammo. But for all we know there's another hour of stuff that isn't him just being whacky at the piano. OR, again... perhaps Shatner rubbed him the wrong way from the start.

Quote:
You have to, man. There's something intensely gratifying about it as it covers the gamut of "Star Trek" info through a window into the lives these guys have and even somehow that part of your fandom that hopes for that crossover that we will never get. Even though they aren't in character it's neat that Shatner sits down with all of them.
It's something he never would have considered many years before that. But I'm glad he did.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #7739
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
It's something he never would have considered many years before that. But I'm glad he did.
I've noticed that "death" is a regular theme for Shatner as he got older. I'm sure it is for everybody, but there was a phase (I think around the time of the Captains) where he was bringing it up a lot in interviews and so on.

Maybe the epiphany of his age and that we don't actually live in Star Trek fan-world had some impact on him. I think even recently he did some thing where we uploaded "himself" into a computer in order to "carry-on". I'm sure in fact it's just an algorithm that interprets your answers to a thousand questions or something, but you know... he did it.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:08 AM   #7740
newfan
Mad Scientist

Well, The Captains is on Amazon Prime US but not UK, I'll get a look at it at some point.

Just checking out a Chucky movie on Netflix. I know the Chucky Movies went a bit cheesy for a couple of them (conversation earlier in this thread) and I remember turning Seed off late one night, but I've put Bride on given that it's on Netflix.

Last edited by newfan; 09-27-2021 at 05:13 AM.

Tags
movies