The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Fear Street Trilogy

Who's watched the first 2 Fear Street movies on Netflix? They're incredibly gory and the 2nd one, while it was good, reminded me too much of Friday the 13th mixed with Evil Dead. Who else has watched?

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:40 AM   #2
Allio
Foot Elite

Fine cheesy flick. I think I liked the second out the first two better, but that’s because I think the possessed killers are the best parts. The first film just felt very YA typical but I liked the slasher ghosts.

Last edited by Allio; 07-30-2021 at 02:30 AM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Yeah everyone I've talked to has said the 2nd one is the best out of the 3.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:03 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

I thought it was really weird they were trying to pass off a lesbian High school romance set in 1994. The girls were written as if they were modern day 2020+ kids....not kids from 1994 where the first movie was set.

Back then you would never see people being openly lesbian in High School, hell even in the early 2000's when I was in High School it wasn't like that. Two girls in a natural lesbian relationship back in 1994...makes no sense. There was no lesbians back then, at least not in High School.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yeah watched all 3, as a whole not a bad 3 part story. I thought the second was the best also.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:22 AM   #6
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Cubed confirmed there were no gay people in 1994. This is a new thing, apparently.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Not in High Schools, there wasn't. There were no lesbian schoolgirls in 1994. The girls were written with a 2021 mindset in mind, not how things were in 1994.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
Allio
Foot Elite

Cubed is off his meds again.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:27 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I've seen all three, a pretty decent watch overall.

Spoiler:
My only complaint really, and found a bit of an odd choice, is using actors from the first two parts to also portray characters in the 3rd without those characters being the direct ancestors of the other ones. Seemed the cop is the only one that was true for? Was expecting the rest to tie together like that, but of course some of them died in their youth.

Spoiler since this is a 3-parter.

Speaking as one of those whom 1994 was indeed part of my high school years, yeah, gay/lesbian couples existed in high school back then. Do I recall any that were totally open about that? No, and understandably given the amount of prejudice then vs now, but there was one pair of girls I think most people probably suspected, but didn't question it. Maybe they were just really good friends, but the vibe you get from them kind of felt like it may have been more than that.

Want a real shocker, Cubed... My school had one student a grade ahead of me who today would probably be considered an openly trans girl.

Back then we just saw him as the guy who cross dressed and preferred to identity as a girl, as the whole "trans" term and topic wasn't really around yet. But I have no doubt that she probably went on to continue to live life as a woman after high school. (Luckily the nature of this school allowed this student to more or less get by without much trouble from others compared to how most other schools would be.)

edit: How old were you even in 1994 Cubed? Not like you were anywhere near high school yet, let alone conscious of those topics.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-30-2021 at 01:33 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:00 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

I was 9 years old in 1994. Still, lesbian teenagers weren't much a thing at the time, they weren't when I was in High School in the early 2000's. The movie was written as if they were 2020 High School kids.

There was no lesbians in schools in 1994.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:56 PM   #11
The Deadman
Foot Elite

So you were 9 in 1994 but somehow know there were no lesbians in high school of all places in '94.

I'm headdesking. Lets get back on topic, lol.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I was a little kid, I would go to bookstores in the mid 90s, Goosebumps was HUGE, we all knew the name of RL Stine. I was always curious about the other books, but they seemed less interesting since they didn't have cartoony looking monsters on the covers. But they sure knew how to market them, RL Stine's name is bigger than the title of the books.

Did anyone actually read any of those books as kids? Clearly they were not for someone my age but they also don't seem like they were for teenagers, most likely for tweens and kids who had outgrown goosebumps but were still under 12 I guess. Do these movies actually adapt any books or themes? Were they an anthology series like Goosebumps or did they actually have a storyline?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:19 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

I was a Freshman in 1996 and I knew plenty of gay people, guys and girls. Especially in the Drama club, where it seemed like being gay or bi was a requirement for joining. Everybody knew who they were, they didn't exactly go out of their way to hide it.

One time one of my buddies came over on a Satuday, which was a bit surprising because I think he'd been planning on hanging out with this girl we were friends with, or something. So I'm like, "I thought you were hanging out with so-and-so today?" And he's like, "I guess she forgot... I went over there, knocked on the door, nobody answered... I peeked in through the window and (this other girl we knew) was sucking her pussy on the couch. So I figured they were busy, so I just came over here instead." That story got out, people would kinda tease the two girls about it but they'd just laugh it off. They both still had sex with plenty of the guys at school, but apparently they liked to spend a little time alone together, too. Oh well. Nobody gave a sh*t.

Granted, it was 1996 and not 1994, but I don't think the entire world changed so dramatically in that two-year gap.

Cubed, y'all need Jesus brother.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 07-30-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:37 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

All of middle school and high school in my Seattle area there were no gays or lesbians in the schools I attended through 1999. Certainly no lesbians. A couple of girls pretended to be bi, but just to impress guys when they made out with other girls at parties. And dudes, there was just "weird" dudes who people would whisper about "I bet that dude is gay!" but there was never really ever any proof. There was certainly no dudes or chicks holding hands in the hall or anything.

Were there probably gays and lesbians in schools in 1994? Probably. But it definitely wasn't like "proudly celebrated" or normalized by any means. At least out this way, even by 1999.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, there were no open gay/lesbian people in my high school (I was in High school from 2000-2003, so even "later" than you guys in the 90's), and so forth. Sure a couple of girls sometimes made-out with each other, but again that was just to turn guys on or because they dared them to do it...they weren't lesbian/bi-sexual at all.

This movie wrote the two main girls as openly lesbian and proud....in 1994. Again if this movie was set in 2020-2021..it'd be a different thing because the world is different now and these girls would have grown up more exposed to gays. Remember there was also no real internet in 1994, and very few people had home computers back then, so most people also had no idea what was going on outside their specific schoolyard or other gays in other places.

When I was a kid we all knew the phrase, "No homo" and it was a solemn vow made by all kids in the 90's and early 2000's.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:31 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

It's almost like different people have different experiences, or something.

In NJ, 1996-2000... lots and lots of gay and bi people. Including some of the teachers. No big deal. No f*cks were given by anyone, ever. "That sh*t's your business."

And I don't care WHERE you lived... if you knew people in Drama Club, you knew gay people. I've talked about the cast parties at my school before; everybody f*cking everybody else like it was backstage at a Fleetwood Mac concert. I'm pretty sure it wasn't only at this one high school. Although to be fair, my school did kick all kinds'a ass. But I refuse to believe these were localized, isolated incidents.

The one situation that caused a ton of gossip, though, was between the head cheerleader and her boyfriend - both of whom were in Drama together as well. They went together for most of high school, couple years, one of those relationships people figure will still be going on after graduation. Senior year, her family goes on vacation to someplace tropic over Spring Break, they take the guy with them because he's "family", you know how it is. She figures he's gonna propose to her... instead, he tells her he's really sorry and still wants to be friends but he's figured out that he's gay and wants to break up.

I felt bad for her - although I'd asked her out once and she turned me down, so not TOO bad. But oh man, THAT had everybody at school talking for a few weeks. "Did you hear _____ is GAY? He was f*cking the hottest girl in school the last three years, when the f*ck was he ever gay?!" But sh*t happens. In hindsight, it should've been kinda obvious, I thought; dude dressed way too "clean" and he did kinda have a lisp. Nice guy, though.

There were rumors that she was a little bit "swishy" with some of her girl friends, but that was never corroborated to my knowledge. I know her one friend was openly bi and was TRYING to talk her into hooking up, but I don't know if they ever did.

Sh*t happens. And it happened back then, too. If people weren't talking about it, you probably lived in a place where you'd get beaten up for being "out", so obviously they wouldn't talk about it. Over here, some of the queer folks were some of the most popular kids in school. And again, yes, everybody - everybody - knew they were gay.

I think some of you folks either led sheltered lives OR had your blinders on at times.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:32 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Maybe that's an east coast thing. I was in the drama club in high school and didn't know of anybody. And everything I see of them now on like FB... they all turned out straight.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:45 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Maybe? I don't know, man. So long as there's been an "acting community", huge chunks of that community have been gay. That's never been any secret. High school, local theater, Broadway, Hollywood... tons of gays, always was and always will be. Gay people are attracted to the theater and performing in general. They're flamboyant by nature, so it makes sense.

Lotta the kids in Choir, too. To the point where people jokingly called Choir Club "Queer Club".

Forgot to mention all the lesbians my wife was friends with in high school. I tried to get her to hook up with some of 'em - they were super-hot - but she was never interested. Some of them did hit on her but she wasn't into it. One time I kinda half-jokingly told the one girl I could "fix her" if she gave me a chance, she just pointed at my chick and was like "No thanks, but if she wants to kick it just say when and I'm down!"

Some of the girls I was really close friends with also knew they were gay but were keeping it under wraps because most of the people we knew were people we'd known for years since we were kids. They didn't want to hook up with someone they went to middle school with, it'd be "awkward". But they were like, "I can't wait to go to college, I am just dying to start f*cking girls already but I don't wanna do it with people I like know, that'd be weird."

Diff'rent strokes to move the world. ((shrug))

As for the ones who "turned out straight", you never know. Most of the people I knew in high school are "straight-married", too... BUT they definitely "experimented" a lot in high school and college. I'm legit surprised at some of them being married to people of the opposite sex, because at one point they definitely "preferred their own kind".

Course, nowadays it's more acceptable to be bi and still marry someone of the opposite sex, too. Just because someone is married, doesn't mean they're "straight". Just saying.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:19 PM   #19
Turo602
The King of Kings

Cubed must've been one of those kids that got transferred to like every school.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:03 AM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

I was in the same High school the whole way through (and Junior and elementary before that).

Somehow even without the internet or cell phones, we all still knew the phrase, "No homo." I don't know if the kids today still say that, probably not, but it was like something EVERYONE said back then.

"No homo." The solemn vow by every 90's and early 2000's kid.