The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 05-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #2321
Leo656
The Franchise

Had a big weekend at the flea market! I hadn't gone in a couple months so I wanted to make up for lost time.

First up, some My Little Pony figures my wife pointed out as I was just about to leave:

I generally don't collect the "regular" MLP toys since they don't resemble the cartoon characters very well, most of the time. But these were super cheap and I do like the articulation on them. I mostly just collect the Funko vinyl figures since they're identical to the cartoon, but these are neat for the price I paid.

Next up, I was able to fill in some holes in my WWF LJN and Remco AWA lines:

So here we have "Classy" Freddy Blassie, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Mr. Fuji, Jesse "The Body" Ventura, Don Muraco and Hillbilly Jim from the WWF line, and in front we've got Road Warrior Hawk from the AWA line. They all need a little fixing up but for the most part they're in great shape. I'll need to get some repro canes off of eBay for Fuji and Blassie, and maybe Hillbiilly Jim's hat (although I'm not in love with the hat).

Since they're primarily a wrestling store and I'm in the business I got a huge discount. They're awesome people over there.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:04 AM   #2322
Leo656
The Franchise

I got some awesome stuff in the mail today.

First up, we have the last two characters I needed to complete the Original San Francisco Toymakers WCW line, Lord Steven Regal and Earl Robert Eaton, the Blue Bloods!

As usual, these figures are what they are, but I will say that they're among the better ones in the line. The likenesses are good, and the detailing on the costumes is also pretty spot-on, right down to the shades of blue and red. I think the Eaton figure is a hair too short compared to Regal, but it's not too far off, and the scale for these figures was notoriously spotty anyway.

This has always been a hard set to get; they were originally released around 1996 or '97 as an exclusive to the Figures, Inc. toy catalog, which has since evolved into Figures Toy Company online, but back in the 90s was just a general toy catalog that carried a bunch of toys you couldn't find in stores anymore and merely specialized in wrestling merchandise. I used to get a TON of stuff from them; they had two separate catalogs, a general one and a wrestling-specific one, and most of it was stuff from the 80s and early-90s that was still pretty reasonably-priced. And their turnaround time was incredible; I'd drop a money order with my checklist in the mail on Monday and sometimes I'd get my stuff by Friday, sometimes even sooner (I once had a package show up TWO DAYS after I sent my order in). Really great way to shop for collectibles in the days when internet shopping wasn't really a thing, yet. They eventually started manufacturing their own wrestling figures in-house, which were kind of crummy, but at the time they were the only way you could have figures of certain wrestlers who were dead or retired or whatever, so it was still kinda cool. They still do that today with various things, and the results are still fairly mixed but I admire their efforts.

Anyways, very rarely companies like OSFTM would pass them some exclusive figures you could only buy through their catalog, and this set was one of those cases. I don't think it sold very well, as these figures were never super-popular anyway and the team was pretty much done by the time this set came out, and given that Figures Inc was not super well-known to begin with I can't imagine they sold a ton of them. Since then it goes for anywhere from $100 to $200, with most prices settling in around $150. I paid just about $100 because the package has some dents in it.

And with that, not counting variant paint jobs I have this entire WCW line COMPLETE. There's a few variants I still hope to pick up if I find them at reasonable prices, but I'm totally not sweating it. I have all of the characters and that's ultimately all I care about.
-------------

Next up, I took my first plunge into a line I missed out on when it was fresh. For relatively cheap, I picked up this Mattel "DC Universe Infinite Heroes" Crisis Three-Pack!

These came out around 2008 or so, naturally when I wasn't collecting toys. They were available at around the same time as the 6-inch scale "DC Universe Classics" figures that Mattel was putting out, but in a more collectible 3.75-inch scale. They even ended up doing a few characters and variants that never made it into the larger-scale series, like Bloodwynd, or Guy Gardner with his Sinestro ring and leather jacket attire.

I haven't opened them yet, but they seem pretty cool for figures in this scale. It's one of the largest line-ups of DC characters ever released at this scale, so that's awesome. And the detailing and articulation look pretty good (although I'll have to take them out to really know for sure). The face sculpts could be better, honestly, but they're not "bad" and it's tough to really sculpt faces at this scale. Kenner and Toy Biz were always great with it, but I'm not sure how much experience Mattel had doing figures at 3.75-scale. So the faces are a bit "meh", kind of generic, but the costumes make everyone easy to identify, so I can dig it.

I'm planning on getting a bunch more of these, depending on what I can find on eBay for cheap-ish. Thankfully most of them seem pretty reasonable, and a lot of the same figures that were single-packed were also available in three-packs like this one, which makes is quite easy to start a collection. This set cost about the same as the single-packed Superman figure, which is what I was determined to start my collection with, and since I couldn't tell any noticeable difference between that figure and the one in this set I went for quantity. Someone who knows more can educate me, but to my eyes the three-pack figures look the same as the single-carded ones, except in the cases of a clearly-labelled variant figure which was quite common. So I'll probably focus more on three-packs so as to establish a larger collection of characters more cheaply and quickly.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:58 AM   #2323
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Micro Machines and an awesome little Fire and Rescue playset, albeit not for me, but to put away for a Christmas present.

Never had them as a kid, but everyone knows those old commercials and still hard not to be a little nostalgic. Though weren't the originals diecast back in the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Next up, I was able to fill in some holes in my WWF LJN and Remco AWA lines:
https://scontent.fewr1-5.fna.fbcdn.n...db&oe=60BCA9A3
Don't hate me, but for some reason scrolling past my mind immediately thought "fat Leonardo DiCaprio" for the one in the hat (Mr. Fuji?) and I can't unsee it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-20-2021 at 05:28 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #2324
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

My Good Omens 2 pack Specialty Series funkos finally came after 2 months of waiting. Totally worth the wait.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #2325
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Next up, I took my first plunge into a line I missed out on when it was fresh. For relatively cheap, I picked up this Mattel "DC Universe Infinite Heroes" Crisis Three-Pack!
I thought that line was great, but by the time I became really interested in them they were well into "I'm not going to catch up territory".

That 3-pack you got is cool though - I might hunt one down because I don't have any of those characters from that period. I have a Batman or two, the Hush and then I have the cool TRU Exclusive Green Lantern pack with the Manhunters and several Lanterns.

They made so many of those that I don't even know how to keep track, but now you put that 3-pack on my radar, lmao!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #2326
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Don't hate me, but for some reason scrolling past my mind immediately thought "fat Leonardo DiCaprio" for the one in the hat (Mr. Fuji?) and I can't unsee it.
That's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
They made so many of those that I don't even know how to keep track, but now you put that 3-pack on my radar, lmao!
For my action figure checklists I just use a combination of Figurerealm and Wikipedia, usually. Although I think I still miss a few but it's pretty comprehensive anyways.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:34 PM   #2327
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:35 PM   #2328
Leo656
The Franchise

I've only found Pac from that line so far.

So yo, dude, are you still on FB? Shoot me a PM, brother.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:38 PM   #2329
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Also added this ridiculous monster to my masterpiece collection.

I’m really just on twitter anymore
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:46 PM   #2330
Leo656
The Franchise

Ahhh, booo! I don't have Twitter. Glad to see you're doing good at least.

Also, that's a pretty badass piece. I'm waiting on a few things to come in the mail. Trying to cut back a bit, plus I have some MOTU stuff on order from BBTS so I need to keep a certain amount in there for whenever they get around to shipping it.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #2331
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
BBTS so I need to keep a certain amount in there for whenever they get around to shipping it.
Yeah. I love BBTS, but what's up with that?
Old 05-21-2021, 09:48 PM   #2332
Leo656
The Franchise

They can't send what they don't have yet. Allegedly Mattel has been stingy with the new stock but it'll show up eventually.

There's also a "system" for which customers get their stuff first but it's shrouded in secrecy. People assume it has something to do with how long a person has been a customer, combined with how much stuff they've ordered in the past along with if they've ever cancelled anything. It's all assumption but it makes sense.

My stuff that said it would ship in February now says "Shipping in May " (and I bet it won't), yet the Land Shark I ordered got here in a week. Seems rather arbitrary, but I'm not sweating it. My local stores have nothing but He-Man, Skeletor, and Battle Cat, so I'm fine waiting so long as I get the stuff.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:40 AM   #2333
Leo656
The Franchise

I let the mail pile up again for a few days. Got some great stuff and more on the way!

First up, I picked up a few more figures from the Mattel "DC Infinite Heroes" series - Batman, the Joker, and "The One, True Green Lantern" Guy Gardner!

These are definitely pretty cool. The articulation is pretty good for the scale; I just wish they were maybe just a little bit bigger, so they'd be compatible with the old Kenner and Toy Biz DC figures. But as it is it's a pretty comprehensive line all its own, with way more different characters than any of those lines ever had, so I guess it's fine.

I actually got the wrong Joker, as the eBay listing specifically said it was the Purple Suit version but instead I got the Black Suit variant. But it's fine, as I was planning on eventually getting both, anyway. They had the Purple Suit one over at the flea market for like a year and a half until recently and now I'm kicking myself for not buying it after picking it up and putting it down a hundred times.

Been on a bit of a DC kick lately, so I went ahead and picked up some of the Mattel "DC Universe Classics" figures I need (which is like almost all of 'em; I've got like four). Trying to start with some "main" characters and work backwards, so I picked up their original Wonder Woman figure:

I wish she came with a sword rather than an axe which I've barely ever seen her even use, but otherwise it's a great Wonder Woman figure. My wife got one of these for herself when it was brand new but I always wanted my own.

Finally, here's the Wally West Flash from the later DC Signature Collection line that Mattel did, offering their DC Universe Classics figures through mail-order similar to what they were doing with their Masters of the Universe Classics line:

This is legit one of the coolest Flash figures I've ever seen. For one thing, it's a rare one that is very explicitly Wally West in his own unique Flash costume (and even more so, named as such on the back of the packaging). Technically there have been lots of Wally West Flash figures, but many of them could just as well be Barry and even use his costume. But the darker, more metallic red and the gold detailing, the white eyes and the angular lightning belt definitely mark this as Wally from his 1990s run in the comics. It seems like quite a few of these "Signature Collection" figures were based on the late-80s and early-90s versions of the characters, which is really neat.

The only thing I'd change is that I wish is that the belt and "wristbands" were some kind of sculpted deco rather than just paint. But I guess it's fine. The picture doesn't do it justice, as the lighting messes with the paint colors; in-hand it's a really awesome Flash figure, and Flash is one of the guys I have the most figures of since I've always loved his design. I've got a few great Flash figures across multiple lines and scales but this one might be my new favorite.

I've got a few more figures on the way from these lines. Really excited to finally start filling these in. Both the Classics/Signature and Infinite Heroes lines are huge, so I'm not really focused on completing them so much as at least being able to get all my favorite characters and work backwards from there.

There's still a bunch of DC Direct figures I need, too. Dammit.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #2334
IMJ
Emperor

That's the Batman figure I've got as well. Never got around to picking up the Joker though......
That's a cool haul, dude!
Old 05-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #2335
Leo656
The Franchise

Thanks! The stuff I got coming might smoke it, though.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:49 PM   #2336
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Got a gun upgrade set from China for Kingdom Cheetor. I got it because Hasbro failed to include Cheetor's Gut Gun which is his Season 1 weapon not a tail whip. Sad thing is the gut gun is super loose in cheetor's hand

Old 05-26-2021, 06:29 PM   #2337
Leo656
The Franchise

Got a Big Important Piece for the collection today: The "Classic Suit" variant of long-haired Superman from the Mattel "DC Universe Classics" line!

I've been after this one for a LONG time, and I finally remembered to pick it up. Got it for a reasonable price, too, all things considered.

Easily one of my favorite Superman figures of all time, and I have to give credit to Mattel for not only representing this look but doing so in spectacular fashion. This is technically a variant, as the Black Recovery Suit version was the primary figure for this wave, but I don't think this one was really any harder or easier to find. But they did a great job with it, especially the longer hair which can be tricky to get "right". There's only been a handful of long-haired Superman figures - I think just the Kenner "Man of Steel Collection" figures, the "Total Justice" figure, the DC Direct "Recovery Suit" version, and this one - but I think this one and the DC Direct one were the only ones to really get it right.

If I have any nitpicks at all, it's that Superman began wearing a much larger cape during this era so this one is too narrow to be a truly authentic representation. But it's good enough. I just think the cape they used on the Superman from the previous "DC SuperHeroes" line would have been a lot more accurate, so long as it was molded in the same shade of red as this one and not the weird burgundy color that figure had. Regardless, still one of my favorite Superman figures in my rather extensive collection.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #2338
ABrown
Banned

It's the closest I'll ever be to having Scarlett Johansson in my bedroom. But for $30, it was worth it.

ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:50 PM   #2339
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
It's the closest I'll ever be to having Scarlett Johansson in my bedroom. But for $30, it was worth it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....70_FMwebp_.jpg
Nah, you could always watch "Under the Skin" in your bedroom at night. You'll be closer... lmao

But yeah, cool figure for sure.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #2340
Leo656
The Franchise

Got a bunch of stuff over the last few days. First some stuff I got today at the flea market.

Got some LJN "WWF Superstars" figures to fix up for a good deal:

King Kong Bundy and S.D. Jones, in case I ever wanna re-enact their "classic" from the first WrestleMania. That match and This Figure add up to 100% of everything S.D. Jones is known or remembered for. Ah well.

Terry Funk, I didn't have yet so I needed him for sure. No hat or branding iron, but I'm sure I can find them online somewheres. Beefcake is gonna be a full repaint; I already have on in that outfit which I restored so I'm gonna give him a whole new outfit. Should be fun.

Here's the main thing I went in for today, the Hasbro-inspired Mattel "WWE Retro" series Diesel figure:

A little backstory here: This is a very in-demand figure specifically because Diesel never had a Hasbro figure back in the mid-90s, despite being very prominent while the line was still running. During the last two years the Hasbro series was out, he was Intercontinental, Tag Team, and eventually WWF World Champion, so he was one of the most-wanted characters by everyone collecting the Hasbro figures, but because of how production worked back in those days everything was way behind the actual TV product. Unfortunately, while he was scheduled to be included in the very next wave of figures that were supposed to come out, the line was abruptly cancelled before they could go into production, so he just barely missed the cut. So this was very possibly THE most-wanted figure for people when Mattel started doing these Hasbro-style figures. It's not an exact recreation of the designed-but-unreleased Hasbro figure - it's actually completely redesigned from what that figure would have looked like - but it's still a pretty good Diesel figure.

Finally, I have a second figure to add to my "collection" of Jazwares "AEW Unrivalled" figures, with the one and only Chris Jericho!

Really good Jericho figure! Good likeness, and the accessories really put it over. The Awesome Jacket, Dumb Hat and Ridiculous Scarf totally complete the look. He's another tough one to find, but then this whole series is pretty tough to find. Glad I finally found him.