The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #21
Vegita-San
Emperor

groose is an interesting character, might be the first to get as much development beside zelda and link too...as far as link's fellow species go.

almost done with SS finally. only took 7 years. hopefully not as long to beat breath of wild.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #22
Vegita-San
Emperor

So, finally beat SS.

Once you get past the VERY shaky controls, it is a rewarding game. probably one of my favorites. up there with twighlight princess and the Wind Waker.

I did beat all 11 enemies in the Battle Royal. but, after honing my skills so much, i'm not ready to give the game up just yet. so playing through my first ever hero mode.

It's SOOO much nicer playing a game when nyou know what to do. no need for walkthroughs. and it goes MUCH faster. started two days ago, already almost up to the 4th temple. so close to halfway. I think I'll stop for a while after I get up to the battle royal section again though. that's enough zelda for now .

Old 04-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

You almost never need a guide to beat a Zelda game. If you really have that much trouble figuring out what to do or where to go, I guess adventure games aren't your thing. 10 years olds play and beat Zelda games without guides. I can understand if you're stuck on a puzzle in a particular dungeon, but just knowing where to go is easy. You're basically told and conditioned by the game where you're supposed to head next.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #24
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
They are all pretty much the same game, but with newer skins each time. that's the one small problem with the zelda series.

I think that was the issue they were trying hard to get away from with BOTW. Past ALTTP, almost everything is a reskin of Ocarina, with a bunch of games either referencing it heavily, or homaging it to death. In some of the interviews they mentioned that they needed to move onward from Ocarina, (that in a very big sense) BOTW is a whole different universe then Ocarina and pretty much is their effort to return to the series 'roots,' what really had people excited to play Zelda in the olden days.

I know before this Zelda had been slowly losing fans to the more 'grown up' medieval genres like Diablo and Skyrim, so it looks like they brought back a ton of these fans and then some. Outside of remakes, BOTW became the best selling Zelda game of all time, which I hope they continue on with not relying on ossified formulas and hand holding, because not everyone started with Ocarina as their 'first' Zelda game, and when everything starts looking like Ocarina instead of being original, then that starts sucking, fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Not a proper Zelda game but I really want to get Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. I skipped it on the Wii U because of the massive amount of DLC it had but now it's all in one package. To me it has the best designs for Link/Zelda/Impa/Ganon/new characters that the franchise has had in years not to mention all the fan service.
Easily, EASILY the best designs for me. HW Ganondorf looks like a freakin powerhouse compared to his other incarnations, and damn does he look badass while he does it. I also like that they moved past him being merely human and continued to add onto what he is, it seems like nobody wants to move past his Ocarina/Twilight Princess characterisation, even after in Skyward Sword they 'revealed' him to be the ongoing incarnation of a demon king's curse.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #25
Vegita-San
Emperor

The problem I had with modern zelda games was all the damn side quests.
figuring out which ones you had to do, which ones you hadn't...and most people wanted to do them all to get 100%.

that was one of the nice things about skyward sword. While some of the game could have been edited down a bit so you didn't re tread so much of the same ground for no reason at all (protect the robot)....there seemed to be far less side quests. just the gratitude crystals really..and the goddess treasures.

THAT part of the game felt like it went much faster. but then you had the goofiness of finding the flames.....and the hero song....and ugh.

it'll be a while before feel like tackling BOW. I've got to finish oddessy first.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #26
sdp
-

My problem with Zelda and RPGs in general which as a kid and early teens were easily my fav. games is that as an adult I don't have all these hours to "explore" and immerse myself in the game. I look for fun quick experiences for the most part.

I still like immersive stuff from time to time but I choose my games more carefully and something I've never played around as much is more appealing than Zelda which I already know more or less. I tried to get into BOTW but it just didn't click. I'll try again later.

But yeah, Hyrule Warrriors might be the next Zelda game I put hours into.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #27
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I played Link to the Past a lot when I was a child, and it was great.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time gave me the fondest memories. ALttP is a top 5 game of all time for me.

Ocarina was magical when I was a kid. While it still is a good game and the 3DS version is quite good it just isn't as as great as it was in 1998.

Wind Waker is very overrated, imo. It's not a bad game but it seems like people mostly like it for the graphics and atmosphere. The game goes down in quality after its middle point. Also, it's pretty easy. Not much sense of tension or danger. I mean, Ocarina wasn't exactly the hardest game ever either but I've never beten that game without dying at least a couple of times. And it definitely has tense parts/moments.

Never been able to beat Zelda 1. Maybe one day. Zelda 2? Pfft screw that hahah.

Majora's and Link's Awakening are tow games I've picked up but am yet to beat. they've been on-hold forever. Gotta fix that one day.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #29
Vegita-San
Emperor

for me, Majora's mask really stuck with me after playing with it only once. especially the end scene with the gods.

same goes for Skyward Sword once I got past the controls.

I don't remember much about the others, other than 1-3.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #30
DWC
Banned

I have a Switch and am planning to buy BotW in a few months. I won't have time to play it this month because I have a dissertation due at the end of May, then the World Cup is on in June and July.

So maybe around August I will finally buy the game and play it. I only bought my Switch in November so it's not like I've had it over a year.
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #31
sdp
-

I thought I was just not a fan of Zelda anymore since it just didn't excite me as much as before and I never finished any games and BOTW didn't grab me. Hyrule Warriors relit my love for the Zelda games showing me fanservice here and there and even though it doesn't play like a Zelda it has enough of its tropes for me to fall in love with the universe again.

I'll continue playing this game for quite a while, it's as fun as I thought it'd be. It also makes me want to go back to BOTW and give it another chance and I will after I'm done with this.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Beat "Zelda: Breath of the Wild."

First of all, awesome engine, awesome open world, awesome assortment of weapons and armor and clothing. Very immersive. But I don't think it was a very good Zelda game.

Gone is any trace of the kind of Zelda music we expect (I get that they were going for atmospheric and "lonely" but they still could have reserved actual Zelda music for certain areas and dungeons or even the goddamn end credits, for pete's sake), nothing about the Triforce at all, and there's only 4 dungeons in the game (I don't count the shrines) and they're all pretty quick. Gone is the locked doors, big chests, big key, etc.. Like, imagine "A Link to the Past" but with the "Breath of the Wind" engine and open world aspect... it'd easily be a superior game and it would actually feel like Zelda.

Also, the ending... one of the lamest endings I've seen. Maybe they were really trying to emulate the sort of endings NES games had in the 80s and 90s. Either way, horrible, angering. Makes me not care to go back and explore anymore, or try the DLC... because no matter what that same crappy ending will be waiting for me.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #33
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Not really much of a gamer any more, but when I do play a game, it's usually Zelda I go for.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #34
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Ocarina of Time still remains my favorite LoZ game and, I have yet to play Majora's Mask.

I have yet to buy a DS, Wii, or even a GameCube so, I really cannot say much about the other games. However, Twilight Princess remains my next choice of LoZ game that I would like to experience for myself.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:38 AM   #35
neatoman
Emperor

I have the Wii U version of BotW because I couldn't afford a Switch two years ago. From What I understand, the Wii U version actually runs better than the Switch version, is this true?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #36
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Beat "Zelda: Breath of the Wild."

First of all, awesome engine, awesome open world, awesome assortment of weapons and armor and clothing. Very immersive. But I don't think it was a very good Zelda game.

Gone is any trace of the kind of Zelda music we expect (I get that they were going for atmospheric and "lonely" but they still could have reserved actual Zelda music for certain areas and dungeons or even the goddamn end credits, for pete's sake), nothing about the Triforce at all, and there's only 4 dungeons in the game (I don't count the shrines) and they're all pretty quick. Gone is the locked doors, big chests, big key, etc.. Like, imagine "A Link to the Past" but with the "Breath of the Wind" engine and open world aspect... it'd easily be a superior game and it would actually feel like Zelda.

Also, the ending... one of the lamest endings I've seen. Maybe they were really trying to emulate the sort of endings NES games had in the 80s and 90s. Either way, horrible, angering. Makes me not care to go back and explore anymore, or try the DLC... because no matter what that same crappy ending will be waiting for me.
Only playing 20 minutes of the game, and I really don't see why it's called the best zelda ever.

apart from the main heroes it might as well be something else at this point.

once I got passed the controls, I think Skyward Sword is my favorite zelda ever. it was easy enough to replay, felt like a nice mix of mario and exploring....and had a good enough story.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #37
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Only playing 20 minutes of the game, and I really don't see why it's called the best zelda ever.
Maybe play for more than twenty minutes, you ****ing dweeb.

I'm not saying that'll change your opinion, but Jesus, man. Inform yourself before saying things.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #38
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I refuse to play Zelda, because it's too female-centric. Why do I have to save a chick all the time? And does she have to be so cool and manly in that Sheik disguise? That's a man's role, thank you very much! And I'll thank you not to vag up my dude time.

I mean, it's gotten so bad that Link puts his sword in a clearly metaphorical sheath when not in use.

Sad.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #39
Vegita-San
Emperor

what's sad is your derangement syndrome is clearly getting worse.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's sad you couldn't tell he was being sarcastic.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote