The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

How do you feel TMNT (07) has aged?

Over 10 years out from the release, how do you feel it's held up over time?

I think in light of the previous two movies, it's actually gotten a little better. The designs aren't radically different, the vague but attempted "continuity" with the other films is appreciated, and having the heart of the story lay within the brothers is the right approach. I do like how each Turtle has a distinct personal journey (well, maybe not Donnie) and it's kind of awesome now hearing Captain America's voice come out through Casey frickin' Jones.

Still, the film is a sum of it's parts. The villains are forgettable, the awful belching/"your mom" type of humour is cringy, and the Gotta catch'em all! storyline is pretty weak. The climax of the movie is a flashy mess and Karai was utterly wasted.

I'd say the soundtrack is probably the most dated part. Klaus Badelt' score is fine, but P.O.D, Jet, and Gym Class Heroes evoke a not-exactly-good kind of nostalgia.

Where do you guys stand? Has it gotten any better, worse, or remained the same?
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Over 10 years out from the release, how do you feel it's held up over time?

I think in light of the previous two movies, it's actually gotten a little better. The designs aren't radically different, the vague but attempted "continuity" with the other films is appreciated, and having the heart of the story lay within the brothers is the right approach. I do like how each Turtle has a distinct personal journey (well, maybe not Donnie) and it's kind of awesome now hearing Captain America's voice come out through Casey frickin' Jones.

Still, the film is a sum of it's parts. The villains are forgettable, the awful belching/"your mom" type of humour is cringy, and the Gotta catch'em all! storyline is pretty weak. The climax of the movie is a flashy mess and Karai was utterly wasted.

I'd say the soundtrack is probably the most dated part. Klaus Badelt' score is fine, but P.O.D, Jet, and Gym Class Heroes evoke a not-exactly-good kind of nostalgia.

Where do you guys stand? Has it gotten any better, worse, or remained the same?
It's there. That's pretty much always been my feeling regarding it. Looks great, poor choice of story and villains, boring.

Not terrible, like the old live-action movies before it. And not appallingly terrible, like the Platinum Dunes movies. It's just... there. A thing that happened, and could have been done much more better.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

I really dislike it more and more over time. It has some great visuals and a reverence for the franchise, which I do appreciate. It's difficult for me to pinpoint why this film turns me off so much. On paper, it has a lot going for it.

I'd probably watch the first Platinum Dunes movie over it. Weird, I know.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Wesley
Mad Scientist

It’s aged well, imo. I didn’t like it when I first saw it, but it was much better after rewatching it years later. It’s one of my favourite tmnt films now.

The plot was kinda boring and confusing, but the acting and characterization was great (well, for the tmnt characters anyway). There was a bit of everything: action, drama, humour, romance, etc.

I didn’t mind that Shredder wasn’t the villain, as he had already been used in previous films anyway. Didn’t care much for the Stone Generals and monsters, but thought Max Winters was a likable and sympathetic villain.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

This is one of my favorite Turtle movies. Second favorite out of the six we've got, actually.

The plot is weak, for sure, and the villains are forgettable - but I like that they tried something different and original. They didn't rehash Shredder, but alluded to him coming back if there was a sequel. The Turtles are pretty spot on in terms of characterization, and the Raph/Leo beef (which is usually played out) has a new spin on it that feels worth it. I love the look of the Turtles. Looks like a natural evolution of the OG Turtles into the CGI era. The voice acting was good all the way around and Morpheus narrated (haha).

I love this movie and Idk if I'd say it gets better over time, but I like it now the same way I liked it when it released.
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

This film was one of the sorest disappointments in the whole franchise to me, because the teaser, and the trailers, and even the hundreds of images that were released prior to the film's release, made it look fantastic. Like a dream come true for fans wanting a more emotional, character-driven, gritty story. I've seen the original, pre-tweaked script around too and it wasn't that different, but somehow it was tighter and better before some higher up decided to kiddify it a bit.

But then it wasn't kiddified enough and it was probably too emotional and earnest for casual fans, and too goofy and nonsensical for those wanting a serious turtles movie. The ending was way too rushed and the villains were lame.

Don and Mike are criminally underused and Casey Jones was played for laughs mostly, which was too bad.

Like honestly the PD movies were better ensemble movies than this one.

Anyway, I do still like the animation. Do folks think it still holds up? The fight is gorgeous.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

I absolutely loved this movie when it first came out, I was a kid though and I was just excited to have a new TMNT movie.

I agree with most of you. Loved the visuals and voice acting. But I feel like story is what really hindered this movie. The story made sense and was written well enough, but I didn't find the story enjoyable. I really think if Karai was the main villain in this movie it probably would have killed it at the box office, been better well received and would have made it easier to produce a sequel.

I also wish they would have used the alternate ending of Casey proposing to April.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:25 PM   #8
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It has a lot of unnecessary baggage scenes. I even edited out the pointless intro of the narrator rambling about the blatant copy paste Hercules planetary alignment and opening portal for monsters (I just started with the teaser trailer and continued with the starry night in Mexico jungle).

Simply put, this is what happens when corporate executives messes with directors vision. The 13 monsters were absolutely rubbish just to shove in toy placement and many scenes were either too short or oddly rushed.

I still like the turtles’ scenes though. Especially Leo vs Raph - pure undiluted action, drama & tension! It also sparked the beginning of tcest in the fandom I reckon (some say 2k3 but I think this movie pushed it front and centre in the spotlight for all to see).
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #9
beardcore84
Foot Soldier

I feel like this movie is SO CLOSE to being great. I think it's a good film. The turtles are fun, I like the Leo in South America stuff, the fight between Leo and Raph is epic, and I like the Night Watcher a lot. The stone generals are fun, but weren't fleshed out enough. But the story... I feel like... I don't know what it is but there is something just keeping this movie from being great. The charm from the original live action films ALMOST showed up, but didn't. It's missing the charm from those.

It's still worlds better than the PD films though.
beardcore84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
ABrown
Banned

More than 10 years later, it's still one of my favorite animated movies ever made.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

After the two Bay movies it's practically "Casablanca."

Still bad, though. I like the rooftop scene, the music score and nothing else, really.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
After the two Bay movies it's practically "Casablanca."

Still bad, though. I like the rooftop scene, the music score and nothing else, really.
That's fair.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #13
pferreira
Foot Elite

I praise the movie for making the villain not a villain but that's about it. Didn't need a Leo and Raph fight, limited geography in the representation of New York, found April and Casey annoying, find the Kevin Smith cameo pretentious, etc. I think playing the tie-in game afterwards helps relieve the boredom and disappointment of this movie even if the 2007 game wasn't great.

Last edited by pferreira; 07-19-2018 at 09:50 AM.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

I've honestly preferred the game adaptation of it to the movie itself. The game was sorta like Prince of Persia with all the jumping around. It was fun for what it was.

The movie wasn't very interesting overall, but compared to the Bay stuff it's a masterpiece.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I would like to a sequel where the Triceratons show up, attacking Earth (and the action takes place in the shadows).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I would like to a sequel where the Triceratons show up, attacking Earth (and the action takes place in the shadows).
That wouldn't be the worst thing. Like, just start out the movie and... BOOM, full-scale Triceraton invasion of Earth. Buildings being destroyed, people running, screaming through the streets seeking shelter. And just throw the Turtles in the middle of that. No origin story, no Foot Clan stuff (not yet), just the Turtles dealing with that.

That might have made an interesting TMNT 4.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #17
AquaParade
Banned

I find the Platinum Dunes films to at least be interesting footnotes in TMNT history.
They suck overall, but they've actually got some pretty cool action scenes/visual elements. They tried something different and failed horribly, but I'll re-watch that over the dry bread-on-bread sandwich that is TMNT 07.

They both lack emotional weight and are filled with jokes aimed at toddlers, but 07 lacks any interesting qualities. It's sort of just there. Like a Saturday morning cartoon.

That said, I can 100% understand the majority's preference for this film over PD. I'd never say it's a "masterpiece" over anything though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #18
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I haven't watched it since it came out, but I remember most of it.

It reminds me of Ghostbusters II--and not in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #19
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

It's aged better than the dreadful Bay movies.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #20
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
They both lack emotional weight and are filled with jokes aimed at toddlers, but 07 lacks any interesting qualities. It's sort of just there. Like a Saturday morning cartoon.
The film was definitely aimed more towards the 4Kids series audience even with the movie trilogy references at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
It's aged better than the dreadful Bay movies.
But people still talk about the PD movies. Beyond this site no one remembers the CGI movie which is a worse legacy to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I've honestly preferred the game adaptation of it to the movie itself. The game was sorta like Prince of Persia with all the jumping around. It was fun for what it was.
I remember how broken the controls were on the PC version. PC users had to hack the game to get the controls done right.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote