The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 03-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #81
JTH
"ME"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
but didn't you just say you don't see the family vaule between her and the other turtles? because Mikey's a clown, Leo doesn't accept her, and she's put off by Raph????

anyway yea I do need convincing cause I don't feel it's there.
Fixed that for that's what I was implying, because the "family" aspect is not a mandatory need.

Plus, I don't April would be in the sewers and lair if she didn't view them all as friends. I think she could find other ways to hang out with Donnie if he was the only one she truly liked.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #82
Jephael
That whack job behind you

So a while back on Andrew's podcast I made the connection between the Nickelodeon incarnation of April and a character Cameron Diaz once played (which I won't name because it gives people disturbing mental images) but now that I've had time to really process it, I realize that Donatello's feelings for April are a lot like Clark Kent's feelings for Lana Lang in the early seasons of Smallville. Clark was always protective of Lana and longed to be intimate with her, despite his alien origin. Of course that was a high school dramatization of the Superman mythos, but at the same time I can see some big correlations between that show and the Donnie/April relationship here.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #83
JTH
"ME"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
So a while back on Andrew's podcast I made the connection between the Nickelodeon incarnation of April and a character Cameron Diaz once played (which I won't name because it gives people disturbing mental images) but now that I've had time to really process it, I realize that Donatello's feelings for April are a lot like Clark Kent's feelings for Lana Lang in the early seasons of Smallville. Clark was always protective of Lana and longed to be intimate with her, despite his alien origin. Of course that was a high school dramatization of the Superman mythos, but at the same time I can see some big correlations between that show and the Donnie/April relationship here.
That may be true, but I think that many people have completely missed the boat on why exactly April is a teenager in this show. Because if you stop and look at the story as it progressed in Season 1, the backstory was kinda hinted at and the pieces were put in place for you to put 2 and 2 together.

The romance stuff is just to do for the people that enjoy that stuff, but the whole purpose behind April being a teen is way deeper than I think people think.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #84
Lone Ranger Ninjutsu
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth View Post
I guess I should chalk another person that thinks the Pulverizer episodes are so bad, that they don't exist.
They were alright. I didn't hate them, that's for sure. I don't think they were up to par with what we were used too, and therefore by comparison, they seemed a lot worse than they actually were.

Quote:
Your latter statement is understandable, but as for what's in bold...please, more than enough is being done on Donnie's side of the story, it's just a matter if people choose to care or not about that part of the story.
I understand where you're coming from. Personally I feel like Michelangelo is the one getting the short end of the stick, apart from his funny quips every episode or so. Still, I'm surprised how well Nick has been juggling all the Turtles and doing so fairly equally, if not for the slight muck up here and there. It's great that all the Turtles are being recognized as separate personalities, and not just the same character with different colored shades of mask.

Artwork not done by me.
The artwork used in this signature was done by XAcerbusX on deviantART.com
Check him out on YouTube as well.
Lone Ranger Ninjutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #85
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
wow.....that's alot.........outta the 40 something episodes.....Raph finally had the chance to save April's life......once.

which she sorta complained about beforehand.....

Donnie's saved her a billion times, would it be a crime for the other guys to make some of those saves? I mean- it makes it look like only Donnie cares.....
(I'm sure that's not the case...but still)
The only reason Raph went to save her was because he was open. Leo and Mikey could at least handle April Derp long enough for Donnie to finish what he needed to do.

And Donnie gets distracted with worry when April's in danger. So Raph ran off to go rescue April so that Donnie could focus on what he needed to do and at least take comfort that someone was going to April's rescue.

Quote:
To tell the truth, the very few occasions that April has spent with the other turtles has already described what she feels about the others, and none of them were truthfully positive.

Mikey: The lint, dead bug pizza in Target: April basically told that April is kinda freaked out by Mikey and views him as a clown, and a rather disgusting one at that. Basically Mikey is Mikey, and I better learn to live with it.

Leo: Obviously his feelings for Karai took their friendship to a strange medium. And the fact that he was cornered into revealing his true feelings to them about didn't help matters. Also Leo seems to be the one that restrained her from doing anything with them, which again clearly wouldn't help matters for it seems that Leo doesn't really view April as one of them.

Raph: They had their little moment in Kraang Conspiracy, but all in all, she's pretty off put by Raph, much like she was off put about Casey early. Though I'm sure this will be progressed more much like it's been with Casey. I'm sure that Raph/Kraang mind flip episode will develop something between the two of them there.
Well she does like the other Turtles as well, but sometimes their antics can be a turn off to her or she doesn't really know what to make of them.

Donnie is the only one who has really willing to share his family with her and he goes out of his way to get to know her and respect her as a person. Unfortunately since he has lived his entire life in isolation with only his brothers and father for company, the only real exposure to woman they have had in their lives before "RotT" was through Television, Magazines, and Comic Books. Which can more often then not can offer a generalized and stereotypical view of female characters. And the only reason he's defends and protected her so many times is because he wants to be there for her, because he loves her. I think he really does truly love her, because if it was just a passing crush Splinter wouldn't have been as willing to let his go out and rescue April from the Kraang.

To quote my blog: I have seen fans taking the first moment where Donnie talks to April as going against Splinter's teachings, but I didn't honestly don't see it that way. Donnie wasn't enticing her back to them, in fact he doesn't even say anything in regards to them being friends again. My interpretation of his encounter with her was to say that bad things happen and unfortunately they can't always be avoided. And even though they were not on her list of favorite people right now for understandable reasons, they were the only people she truly has left at this time. So whether she forgives them or not he at least wanted her to know they would still be there for her.

I think when April was allowed to visit the lair for the first time. I'm sure Donnie had to do a lot to convince Leo and Splinter that April was someone they could trust with the secret location of their home.

April has a congenial relationship with Leo. She does acknowledge him as a friend and knows he means well, but sometimes he does come across as a protective jerk. Still she does care enough about him to tell him that going to see Karai for anything is a bad idea, and sends a text to Donnie to warn the other turtles where Leo was headed. And she also lets out a sob when it was believed that Leo had sacrificed himself so that everyone would escape.

April cares about Mikey as much as everyone else. She does find his childishness really grating at times but cares about him as she would any little brother. However sometimes Mikey's immaturity does cause him to say things that are rather insensitive. Such as saying he doesn't count her as a friend because she's obligatorily their friend.

Raph is the Turtle that April is least fond of, largely due to how scathing he is to his brothers. And the fact he was saying how April was slowing them down wasn't helping matters.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #86
Bossa Nova
Stone Warrior

Quote:
but didn't you just say you don't see the friendship between her and the other turtles? because Mikey's a clown, Leo doesn't accept her, and she's put off by Raph????

anyway yea I do need convincing cause I don't feel it's there.
Agreed. The fact that she got MAD a Raph when he risked his life to save her was just...kinda of the final nail in the coffin for me. Did she really think he was going to lord that over her or shove it in her face that he came to help her?

I'm all for feminism and girls being able to do what boys can, but honestly that entire episode and April's reaction to not being as skilled as the boys (despite, as they explained they have been training THEIR WHOLE LIVES) was extremely frustrating. Being the lookout, driving the getaway car and helping OUTSIDE of the immediate action is still immensely important, and I'm so bothered that April seems to think the only way to help is by throwing herself into situation she has absolutely no business being in. In the past April has been able to help the boys even if it meant not fighting right beside them, and she did it with confidence, skill, and the attitude that she knew her actions were important to the team. I'm sick of the excuse that "she's a teenager" in that she might mature out of this, because ALL I'm seeing right now is an egotistical brat who thinks getting help from anyone is beneath her.

Anyway, that sort of derailed a bit, but in any case, her sudden attitude toward the turtles and not even wanting a lick of their help seems entirely uncalled for. She still doesn't appreciate all they do for her (and let's admit it, for as many mistakes they make they still do more good for her than bad), and occasionally I WOULD like to see that she actually gives a damn about them, outside of Don who she only seems to really care about when she actually realizes she's in deep trouble and needs someone to come save her hide.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #87
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
That may be true, but I think that many people have completely missed the boat on why exactly April is a teenager in this show. Because if you stop and look at the story as it progressed in Season 1, the backstory was kinda hinted at and the pieces were put in place for you to put 2 and 2 together.

The romance stuff is just to do for the people that enjoy that stuff, but the whole purpose behind April being a teen is way deeper than I think people think.

This is very true. The relationship between Donnie/April/Casey is being set up to mirror the Hamato Yoshi/ Teng Shen/ Oroku Saki's relationship.

In "Turtle Temper" Splinter states that he was once close friends with the Shredder. However they both loved Teng Shen which drove a wedge between the two friends. When Teng chose Splinter as her lover, Shredder couldn't accept it and let his jealousy consume him and would harass Hamato Yoshi as a result.

The big difference here is that it in this relationship Teng Shen was viewed as a possession and not as a person.

Donnie and Casey aren't a close as Shredder and Splinter were but they are on better terms with each other then they were when they initially met.

Casey has doubtlessly been to the lair enough times to at least pick up some hints that Donnie has feelings for April. But he's dense enough to not take notice unless someone points it out for him.

Donnie already has had one moment where Splinter has had to intervene so keep Donnie from inadvertently stumbling down the the path the Shredder had.

And I think when this triangle is at it's peak, Donnie may realize they are unintentionally hurting April in their rivalry and choose to do the thing that Shredder didn't do which is to back off and allow April to choose who she wanted.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #88
JTH
"ME"

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
This is very true. The relationship between Donnie/April/Casey is being set up to mirror the Hamato Yoshi/ Teng Shen/ Oroku Saki's relationship.

In "Turtle Temper" Splinter states that he was once close friends with the Shredder. However they both loved Teng Shen which drove a wedge between the two friends. When Teng chose Splinter as her lover, Shredder couldn't accept it and let his jealousy consume him and would harass Hamato Yoshi as a result.

The big difference here is that it in this relationship Teng Shen was viewed as a possession and not as a person.

Donnie and Casey aren't a close as Shredder and Splinter were but they are on better terms with each other then they were when they initially met.

Casey has doubtlessly been to the lair enough times to at least pick up some hints that Donnie has feelings for April. But he's dense enough to not take notice unless someone points it out for him.

Donnie already has had one moment where Splinter has had to intervene so keep Donnie from inadvertently stumbling down the the path the Shredder had.

And I think when this triangle is at it's peak, Donnie may realize they are unintentionally hurting April in their rivalry and choose to do the thing that Shredder didn't do which is to back off and allow April to choose who she wanted.
That is true, but that's not what I was referring to either, it's still way more deeper than that.

There was never any backstory about April and who she was when the turtles and Splinter were mutated in any incarnation of the franchise, nor did her being a kid have any merit or meaning to it, but in this show, it was backstoried for you to put the pieces together.

The whole point of April being a teenager was basically the story that The Turtles and Splinter were mutated around the same time April was born and that Kraang arrived in New York to try and find her.

Because if April was never born, the Kraang would have never been in New York. So in a way, April was the link to not only the Kraang, but also the link to the turtles and Splinter becoming who they became.

And this basically became a 15 year culmination of the turtles and April almost being destined to meet each other one day. And that the first human the Turtles meet and know, is the very human that is responsible for them being who they are.

The thing when it comes to Donnie is that, deep down Donnie almost subconsciously realized from the moment he saw April, he knew that this girl was important to him and them as a whole, and while the others joked and mocked him about it, the fact is it's true, for if it wasn't for April, they wouldn't be who they are today. And when you watch the more recent episodes when Donnie becomes much more protective of her, you almost begin to gain the mindset that he has realized that as time has gone on, which makes her mean even more to him.

Maybe that's just me though...

Last edited by JTH; 03-19-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #89
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

A better question is does Donnie idolize her to a point where he doesn't really know as a friend? Are there any moments where April just talks to Donnie about her mutant dad angst?

I would imagine, and feel free to call me out on this one because I need some insight for the story that I'm working on, that since in the beginning of season 2 that April hasn't really open up to Donnie as much about her mutant dad angst, because that would only insure in making him feel awful about himself.

She trying to not lay her problems on him because she knows that Donnie is working on the cure (although there is no scene telling us that) but anyway this decision could unintentionally be putting a distance between them and a strain on their friendship.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 03-19-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #90
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
A better question is does Donnie idolize her to a point where he doesn't really know as a friend? Are there any moments where April just talks to Donnie about her mutant dad angst?

I would imagine ,and feel free to call me out on this because I need some insight for the story that I'm working on, that since in the beginning of season 2 that April hasn't really open up to Donnie as much about her mutant dad angst, because that would only insure in making him feel awful about himself.

She trying to not lay her problems on him because she knows that Donnie is working on the cure (although there is no scene telling us that) but anyway this decision could unintentionally be putting a distance between them and a strain on their friendship.
well I haven't seen her talk to him about stuff like that onscreen....not sure if she does it offscreen. (I think she was talking to him about her fear at the end of the mushroom fear episode, but we don't hear anything)

she seems to open up to Casey
but goes to Donnie for comfort
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #91
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
well I haven't seen her talk to him about stuff like that onscreen....not sure if she does it offscreen. (I think she was talking to him about her fear at the end of the mushroom fear episode, but we don't hear anything)

she seems to open up to Casey
but goes to Donnie for comfort
meaning what exactly?
We’re not unicorns!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #92
Warhorse
Emperor

Well, I kind of agree with the other posters that she hasn't struck enough bond with the other guys yet, but the show is still young, and I'm assuming that will all change when Shredder Strikes Back comes into play.

Right now, it's almost like the 1990 movie, in that April paid particular attention to the Turtle that saved her (Raphael in that one) and she probably didn't start to get a real bond until after Splinter was kidnapped. Same scenario could happen here.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #93
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
meaning what exactly?
meaning....she seems to talk to Casey personally more and she seems more herself. (Content around him)

while she feels reassured with Donnie. As in when she has a problem she knows he'll take care of it. That's why she always calls Donnie for help.

huh

Did that make any sense.....???
Old 03-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #94
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
meaning....she seems to talk to Casey personally more and she seems more herself. (Content around him)

while she feels reassured with Donnie. As in when she has a problem she knows he'll take care of it. That's why she always calls Donnie for help.

huh

http://replygif.net/i/782.gif

Did that make any sense.....???
Sorry. I was a little confused. It just sounded like the same thing to me, but anyway it still points out that she doesn't talk about it with him.
We’re not unicorns!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #95
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Sorry. I was a little confused. It just sounded like the same thing to me, but anyway it still points out that she doesn't talk about it with him.
it's okay XD I'm not sure I even knew what I was saying.

to sum it up....she likes talking to Casey.

when was the last time we've seen April just talk to Donnie (no Kraang plot...not daddy plot....no saving the day...)

I could be wrong....someone could totally jump in and prove me wrong....I might be missing something.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #96
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
it's okay XD I'm not sure I even knew what I was saying.

to sum it up....she likes talking to Casey.

when was the last time we've seen April just talk to Donnie (no Kraang plot...not daddy plot....no saving the day...)

I could be wrong....someone could totally jump in and prove me wrong....I might be missing something.
What does she talk to Casey about, besides the Turtles?
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #97
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
What does she talk to Casey about, besides the Turtles?
dating
Old 03-20-2014, 05:28 AM   #98
kolaida
Foot Soldier

I wish we could see more April interaction with the other turtles, too!

I was also annoyed with how April acted when Raph saved her during that episode (though, he got a great line out of it). Heck, April acted annoying the whole episode so I just kinda ignored it.
kolaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #99
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

It didn't bother me as much since in my opinion, it there to show "Yes, she improving and training but she not there yet". She just more of a overexcited rookie who talks big but can't do jack **** .
We’re not unicorns!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #100
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I agree that April is the type who wants to do more but doesn't realize how limited she is in what she CAN do for now. She'll get there but she's just impatient to get there, and I can understand that.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
april o'neil, donatello