The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 11-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Ljn

That's right. THAT company. bet you all know this rainbow. LJN were primarily a toy company that was mostly notorious for their WWF action figures, but then Akklaim acquired it and turned it into a video game company as well, although LJN only published games. They did not develop them. Most of the time their games were developed by other companies such as Akklaim and Rare.

People who grew up in the 8-bit and 16-bit video game eras are likely to have played an LJN or two at least. When we're kids, we don't know the golden rule yet about games being based on popular movie, cartoon and comic licenses usually being mediocre or just flat out bad. And as we all know by now, most games bearing the rainbow weren't particularly good.

I only grew up with one LJN game. Crash Dummies for the Super Nintendo. It's generally considered a mediocre game, but I recall liking it and my brother beating it. I had a few Crash Dummies toys as a kid and liked their concept. So maybe that played into it.

LJN's legacy in the video game industry has never been the best one, but obviously AVGN has only further damaged their reputation, and it's mostly a running gag. Doesn't seem fair to call it the worst company ever.

What is your experience with LJN games?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I thought Spiderman and Venom: Maximum Carnage for the SNES was a fun way to pass the time, even though it definitely had its share of issues.

Other than that, I never really played any other LJN game (that I recall).
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:45 AM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Mediocre games but cool action figures.

They had ThunderCats and the Dungeons & Dragons liscence.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just googling LJN games...

* Friday the 13th on NES. Tough but good.

* T&C Surf Designs. I'd completely forgotten about this game. I remember playing it quite a bit.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I thought Spiderman and Venom: Maximum Carnage for the SNES was a fun way to pass the time, even though it definitely had its share of issues.

Other than that, I never really played any other LJN game (that I recall).
That's the "LJN game" that gets the best reception. Even AVGN said it was decent and was surprised LJN had a game that was not ****.

Haven't played it myself, so all I can say is that its OST kicks ass. It has a 16 bit rendition of The Mob Rules by Black Sabbath and one of the Hard Lines Sunken Cheeks by Pantera(game over theme).
Old 11-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 11-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
sdp
-

LJN sucking is a meme that started because of the AVGN and all other copycats did the same but in reality they had some ok games even if they did tend to release subpar stuff.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
LJN sucking is a meme that started because of the AVGN and all other copycats did the same but in reality they had some ok games even if they did tend to release subpar stuff.
I forgot to say that he also liked one of the LJN SNES WWF games. Royal Rumble or smth. He trashed those games in his wrestling games review, but on the James & Mike Mondays he clearly was enjoying one of those games. No idea how serious he was being when he said their WWF action figures sucked, though.

AVGN very often exaggerates a game's flaws for comedy purposes