The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #41
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I need to study up on my Mario knowledge, because damn.
Did you know some of the influence for Super Mario 64 came from a rejected solo Yoshi project developed by now defunct (they made the licensed Catwoman game) Argonaut Games? Did you know said game would go on to become PS1 Classic GOTY Croc: Legend of Gobos!? DID YOU KNOW!? Did you know Argonaut also helped develop Star Fox and the never released Star Fox 2!? Did you know the camera tech from Star Fox 2 went on to be used in Super Mario 64!? DID YOU KNOW ALL OF THESE THINGS!?
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #42
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Did you know some of the influence for Super Mario 64 came from a rejected solo Yoshi project developed by now defunct (they made the licensed Catwoman game) Argonaut Games? Did you know said game would go on to become PS1 Classic GOTY Croc: Legend of Gobos!? DID YOU KNOW!? Did you know Argonaut also helped develop Star Fox and the never released Star Fox 2!? Did you know the camera tech from Star Fox 2 went on to be used in Super Mario 64!? DID YOU KNOW ALL OF THESE THINGS!?
All of my favorite things in one post. Mario, Croc, Catwoman, and Star Fox.

And no! That's all news to me!
Old 12-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mario is not from Brooklyn in the games either at least post Mario Bros. the arcade game. Ever since Yoshi's Island created their backstory that they were both born in the Mushroom Kingdom as babies, the whole "real world" aspect was dropped.

I'm not sure but was Wrecking Crew or the Mario Bros. Arcade game set in the real world? I'm not sure if this was something the cartoon created and then just got taken as facts when people who were kids got older and it stuck with them...sort of like how everyone still thinks the Koopalings are Bowsers kids.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #44
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm not sure but was Wrecking Crew or the Mario Bros. Arcade game set in the real world? I'm not sure if this was something the cartoon created and then just got taken as facts when people who were kids got older and it stuck with them...sort of like how everyone still thinks the Koopalings are Bowsers kids.
Both NES manuals for Wrecking Crew and Mario Bros don’t have a story printed. The Koopalings being Bowser’s children was not a creation of the cartoons or Nintendo of America. They were mentioned as being Browser’s children in the Super Mario Bros 3 Japanese manual. So Bowser Jr. being his only child is indeed a retcon. Not even a simple story like Super Mario can go without a retcon.

I getting super nerdy here, but the only bits of the American story I can think of that are still “canon” are Mario’s love of Italian food, Luigi’s cowardice, the names of the Koopalings, (In the Japanese manual they were unnamed. This is why the Dic cartoon gave them different names. During production of the cartoon they had no official names so they made them up.) and “possibly” Mario and Luigi’s last name being Mario.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #45
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well since its super nerdy in here time for me to jump, I'm someone who in my youth researched extensively the Mario timeline of events and history . When has Mario's love for italian food been used officially? Luigi's cowardice only started with Luigi's Mansion and I believe Miyamoto chose the name of the Koopalings but i could be wrong on that one. As far as Mario's last name that has sadly been debunked by Miyamoto himself so the name Mario Bros. makes no sense officially but we can all believe their last name really is Mario...

And yeah officially from what we know is that Mario has always been in the Mushroom Kingdom, Donkey Kong and Mario Bros take place in that same world, there is no "real" world that we know of in this universe. Before that was explicitly stated the convoluted timeline following the american story was that he was born in the Mushroom Kingdom as seen in Yoshi's Island and then they somehow went to the real world where they lived until one day as plumbers they found Koopa's and made their way to the mushroom Kingdom. Of course the whole timeline is just a huge cluster**** when you take into account the Kong timeline since the original Donkey Kong aged quickly but Mario didn't and the current DK hasn't aged quickly either, oddly enough the spin-off sports titles and the like cause the least amount trouble being explained since in Mario's wacky universe anything can really happen.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #46
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
When has Mario's love for italian food been used officially? Luigi's cowardice only started with Luigi's Mansion and I believe Miyamoto chose the name of the Koopalings but i could be wrong on that one.
He dreams of different kinds of pasta dishes when you let him fall asleep in SM64, although that's apparently not in the Japanese version of the game.

Luigi's characterization began somewhat in Paper Mario, where you could read his diary and he had some pretty amusing dialogue, but you're right that his cowardice was really (officially) brought to the fore in Luigi's Mansion. However, him being a wimp is definitely something you can see carried over from the old western cartoons. There's actually an old SMB anime where he's portrayed as super slimy and greedy, which is funny considering where his character ended up. He's easily the most interesting character with the best characterization of anyone from the Mario universe, though.

Miyamoto had nothing to do with the Koopalings names, as they were never named in Japan and instead given named by NoA localizers. That's part of the reason they had different names in the DiC series - the game wasn't localized while they were in production, so no names existed.

Edit: Oh, also! Here's a great and weird piece of Mario art from a weird old set of anime. Momotaro Mario with a gun.

If you've never seen this thing, look it up. The image of Mario booking it to anime speed lines carrying a gun is insaaaane.
Edit 2: I gotta make a gif of that damn scene.
Done.

Last edited by Peanut; 12-15-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #47
oldmanwinters
Overlord

While we're on the subject of random Mario fact dumping...

Might a new Mario movie answer such long standing questions like:
Is Mario most iconic in red overalls with a blue shirt or blue overalls with a red shirt?
If Toads are gender neutral, then does their species reproduce?
Why is T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas never at home when we come knocking?
What's the deal with Princess Toadstool's alleged "white magic" that held the key to saving the Mushroom Kingdom in the original Super Mario Bros? And why does she seem to prioritize keeping her dresses so clean and proper?
Will Bowser EVER get to eat a slice of freshly baked cake?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #48
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Man, I know nothing. The only piece of Mario trivia I know is that Donkey Kong is called Donkey Kong because Shiggy thought donkey meant stupid in english. And that's not even Mario trivia!
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:52 AM   #49
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
He dreams of different kinds of pasta dishes when you let him fall asleep in SM64, although that's apparently not in the Japanese version of the game.
It was added in the Japanese exclusive "Rumble Pak" version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
If Toads are gender neutral, then does their species reproduce?
Will Bowser EVER get to eat a slice of freshly baked cake?
I can answer these two.

Toad’s trophy celebration in Mario Tennis suggests they reproduce through spores. Or are they simply Super Mushrooms?

In Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story, Princess Peach herself (with Mario and Luigi’s help) baked Bowser a cake at the end as a thank you present.

Random Mario Character Trivia

Did you know there is something very dark and mysterious about Luigi? In Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time Luigi is denied entrance by the Star Gate because of “a dark secret” in his past. Luigi bizarre Final Smash in Super Smash Bros Brawl called the Negative Zone is “a reflection of the dark side he embraced in his brother’s shadow.” Super Paper Mario reveals that Luigi is a necessary component in the destruction of all life in the multiverse.

Did you know Mario is a sore loser? He often acts before he thinks.

Did you know Wario, in addition to being the owner of a video game company and an anti-Indiana Jones style adventurer, is also a farmer? Wario’s “beloved pet” Hen is the only creature that he’s ever been shown to be nice to.

Did you know Princess Peach’s calm and sweet personality may be fake? A conversation in Paper Mario implies Princess Peach acts this way because it’s how “the Ministers taught (her)” to act. Maybe this is why Princess Peach is best friends with the openly tomboy Princess Daisy?

Did you know it has been hinted that Luigi and Princess Daisy are dating? During Daisy’s trophy celebration in Mario Power Tennis, Luigi presents her the trophy and she greets him by saying “Hi sweetie!” In Mario Kart Wii, Daisy had a statue erected depicting her and Luigi dancing.

Random Mario Game Trivia

Did You Know before Charles Martinet became the voice of Mario he was a Shakespearean actor?

Did you know the original Donkey Kong arcade game was supposed to be a game based on Popeye the Sailorman? After King Features Syndicate denied Nintendo the license of their characters Shigeru Miyamoto created Mario to replace Popeye, Donkey Kong to replace Bluto and Pauline to replace Olive Oyle. After the success of Donkey Kong, King Features later allowed Nintendo to use their characters in a game.

Did you know the original Super Mario Bros game was to have Mario use a gun? This was later replaced with the Fire Flower.

Did you know Mario’s dinosaur pal Yoshi was originally a Koopa Troopa? The saddle on his back was supposed to be his shell.

Did you know Mario was named after Nintendo of America's landlord? After Mario Segale barged in during a meeting demanding his rent money they noticed he looked similar to Jumpman (Mario's original name) and the name stuck.

For more Mario trivia, check out Did You Know Gaming.com and their Youtube channel.

Last edited by TMNT_Guy; 12-16-2014 at 04:11 AM.
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #50
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post

I can answer these two.

Toad’s trophy celebration in Mario Tennis suggests they reproduce through spores. Or are they simply Super Mushrooms?

In Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story, Princess Peach herself (with Mario and Luigi’s help) baked Bowser a cake at the end as a thank you present.
Aw, those are two facts I had no idea about! Thanks so much! I'm fairly ignorant of all the Mario Sports and RPG titles (Super Paper Mario on Wii is the only one I own and I have yet to play through it). So good to know that Bowser did get to have his own Peach Cake. I'm surprised that spores don't pop out of all Mushroom Retainers when a Mario brother bounces on their heads in the other games!

Quote:

Did you know Mario’s dinosaur pal Yoshi was originally a Koopa Troopa? The saddle on his back was supposed to be his shell.
Hadn't read this before, but it makes a lot of sense. The original SNES Yoshi sprite looks weird and incomplete, especially the arms being off-color.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:27 AM   #51
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Shigeru Miyamoto has commented on the leak:

Quote:
AP: There was correspondence that came out of the Sony leak that mentioned "Spider-Man" producer Avi Arad was working on a "Mario Bros." animated film. Is that true? If so, what would your role be in the film, and what do you envision a modern "Mario" film would look?

Miyamoto: I heard something about that this morning. What's interesting is that over the past 20 years, people come to us on a fairly regular basis about creating "Mario" movies. There are times that those ideas end right when they bring them to us, and other times we'll listen to presentations. It's not very unusual, and it's something we've been doing for a very long time. I don't particularly have a vision that the next iteration of "Mario" is going to be in film.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...movie-27699825
Old 12-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #52
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
It was added in the Japanese exclusive "Rumble Pak" version.

I can answer these two.

Random Mario Character Trivia

Did you know there is something very dark and mysterious about Luigi? In Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time Luigi is denied entrance by the Star Gate because of “a dark secret” in his past. Luigi bizarre Final Smash in Super Smash Bros Brawl called the Negative Zone is “a reflection of the dark side he embraced in his brother’s shadow.” Super Paper Mario reveals that Luigi is a necessary component in the destruction of all life in the multiverse.

Did you know Mario is a sore loser? He often acts before he thinks.

Did you know Wario, in addition to being the owner of a video game company and an anti-Indiana Jones style adventurer, is also a farmer? Wario’s “beloved pet” Hen is the only creature that he’s ever been shown to be nice to.

Did you know Princess Peach’s calm and sweet personality may be fake? A conversation in Paper Mario implies Princess Peach acts this way because it’s how “the Ministers taught (her)” to act. Maybe this is why Princess Peach is best friends with the openly tomboy Princess Daisy?

Did you know it has been hinted that Luigi and Princess Daisy are dating? During Daisy’s trophy celebration in Mario Power Tennis, Luigi presents her the trophy and she greets him by saying “Hi sweetie!” In Mario Kart Wii, Daisy had a statue erected depicting her and Luigi dancing.

Random Mario Game Trivia

Did You Know before Charles Martinet became the voice of Mario he was a Shakespearean actor?

Did you know the original Donkey Kong arcade game was supposed to be a game based on Popeye the Sailorman? After King Features Syndicate denied Nintendo the license of their characters Shigeru Miyamoto created Mario to replace Popeye, Donkey Kong to replace Bluto and Pauline to replace Olive Oyle. After the success of Donkey Kong, King Features later allowed Nintendo to use their characters in a game.

Did you know the original Super Mario Bros game was to have Mario use a gun? This was later replaced with the Fire Flower.

Did you know Mario was named after Nintendo of America's landlord? After Mario Segale barged in during a meeting demanding his rent money they noticed he looked similar to Jumpman (Mario's original name) and the name stuck.

For more Mario trivia, check out Did You Know Gaming.com and their Youtube channel.

I thought everyone knew this trivia???
Especially about Yoshi being a Koopa Troopa....
Anyway you didn't answer the most important question...... Is Mario most iconic in red overalls with a blue shirt or blue overalls with a red shirt?

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sega