The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-03-2021, 02:59 AM   #61
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Shaolin Monks can be emulated perfectly from what I've heard.
But is it worth playing?

I'm actually pretty pleased. I got a Playstation-like controller in the mail and it works perfectly with PS2 emulation. MKDA-MKA play just the same or better as they would on a real PS2. I don't see or hear any difference. I haven't done much looking into PS3 emulation... I wonder if that is a thing yet?

I was also playing a little more Tekken 7 tonight. While it is DEFINITELY not as beautiful as a game as MK11 (when played on a 4K TV, all of the characters look way more "smooth" -- not in a good way -- and not as well textured and not in as good of resolution as MK11)... I still circle back to the argument of "3D fighting games vs. 2D fighting games." I'll make the case with Akuma in Tekken 7, whom I hadn't played as in ages but did tonight. You can't tell me when you play as him in Tekken 7 -- in a full 3D playing field in which you can sidestep and all -- is in any way inhibiting of the experience of playing Akuma (who, let's be honest... is basically the same as playing as either Ryu or Ken in any SF game, with minor variables) vs. playing him in any 2D-based SF game (as in, all of them). I was landing SF-based combos, traditional Shorrrrrrukens, harrruuuukens, and haraptaparuuuukens just fine, hitting the same buttons as in any SF game, just with the added caveat of me being able to sidestep stuff with only a gentle tap or tap tap of the directional buttons. I'm still flummoxed at how being able to do so is somehow honestly being looked at as limiting or overly complicated in any way.

Like, I'm playing MK11 and while the visual treat of it is amazing... every time I'm hit with a projectile or spear or anything when I could just sidestep, or hit an "invisible wall" at the left or right end of the level the same as MK1-3 25 years ago (some of them aren't invisible and some of them can be interacted with, to be fair, but not all)... this just makes me sad. This truly isn't progress. If the argument is that MKDA-MKA got to be "too much" with all the Animalities and different fighting styles and weapons and stuff, I would agree with you... but the basic benefits of operating on a 3D playing field shouldn't have been lost.

A quick bit on the "Aftermath" storyline. I finished it. I was a little disappointed in that I'd swore I'd read that Robocop and a couple other "weird" new fighters were integrated into the storyline only to not see them at all. Undoubtedly my fault -- I'm sure I misread something. So Shang Tsung teams up to help Liu Kang reconstruct reality by fetching the crown, betrays everybody at the end (surprise!), gets erased... and now Liu Kang basically facilitates what is essentially another MK reboot? That's what he does. Like, I don't believe for a moment anyone goes into the MK series expecting a clear and concise saga by any means... but is this a good idea? Like 2 games from the last reboot? I kind of thought what they might do was use the main MK11 story as a way to kill off older versions of existing characters to then swap in their now-altered younger selves to keep things fresh. But literally, Liu Kang recreating all of reality and everyone in it, dead or alive? Now? Hm...

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-03-2021 at 03:15 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:07 PM   #62
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So I'm definitely on a Mortal Kombat kick.

I've DLed the Arcade Kollection for PC (doesn't seem available on anything else atm). That covers MK1-UMK3.

I've DLed the GOG version of MK4 for PC. I'm told this is superior to, like, playing the arcade version of MK4 on MAME... but maybe not superior to playing MK "Gold" on Dreamcast emulation. Though not visually. Can anyone speak to MK Gold?

I've got MK Komplete Edition for PC on the way... this covers MK 2011.

Already have MKXL fully loaded on PS5 and MK11 fully loaded on PS5 as well.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:21 PM   #63
sdp
-

Shaolin Monks is one of the best MK games and best 3D beat em ups, you will love it, full of MK Easter eggs and a blast to Play with a friend.

MK Gold is likely the best version of MK4, granted it's still MK4 but you get good graphics and more characters. If I remember the arcade version is really barebones, even the N64/PS1 versions had two extra characters.

Don't forget MK Trilogy, it's an official hack with everyone, not balanced and glitchy as hell but that's part of the fun.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:24 AM   #64
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Don't forget MK Trilogy, it's an official hack with everyone, not balanced and glitchy as hell but that's part of the fun.
I owned that for PS1 wayyyy back. Decent.

Update: I tried out MK Gold on emulation. This emulator is shockingly easy to use out of the "box," and the ROM only took 10 seconds to find. Bam. I was playing. Recognized my controller right away, reconfigured buttons no prob.

*Another update: Tried out MK Komplete Edition (MK 2011) on PC. This looks better than MKXL even on PS5. I guess maybe MKXL never quite got the PS5 upgrades that MK11 did. But this looks super slick. The gameplay isn't on par with MK11, but it's purdy.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-07-2021 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:51 AM   #65
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Also... MK4. Or rather MK Gold. This is what I'm trying out. And yes! If any version of MK4 including this one is in any way your reason for citing MK being incompatible with 3D fighting... well, you're wrong and you're right. MK4/Gold is a HORRIBLE way to introduce 3D fighting. I mean it's a little thing they did, and it is dependant on the "run button" which I never liked, even in MK3.

But shesus. Again. I point to playing as Akuma in Tekken 7. Where are all the voices against this, who have tried this? You people act like this changes everything. It doesn't! It just makes things not in a straight line. 2D fighters can be played on a phone.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:18 AM   #66
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've DLed the GOG version of MK4 for PC. I'm told this is superior to, like, playing the arcade version of MK4 on MAME... but maybe not superior to playing MK "Gold" on Dreamcast emulation. Though not visually. Can anyone speak to MK Gold?
MK4 on PC is the worst port of MK4 out there. MK4 on Arcade maybe doesn't have same amount of optional content (and secret characters), but it plays and looks much better.

Quote:
But is it worth playing?
It is one of the best beat'em ups ever.

And one of the best MK games ever. Amazing atmosphere, amazing gameplay, copious amounts of Fatalities and unlockable content, like playable Scorpion and Sub-Zero in singleplayer mode and semi-remake of MK2 with Shaolin Monks gameplay.

Quote:
I'm actually pretty pleased. I got a Playstation-like controller in the mail and it works perfectly with PS2 emulation. MKDA-MKA play just the same or better as they would on a real PS2. I don't see or hear any difference. I haven't done much looking into PS3 emulation... I wonder if that is a thing yet?
Majority of PS3 games emulated this days with no problems.
Though you will need a beefy machine for this and use some specific settings to make some games work. But it is not harder to work with than most other emulators.

Quote:
I was also playing a little more Tekken 7 tonight. While it is DEFINITELY not as beautiful as a game as MK11 (when played on a 4K TV, all of the characters look way more "smooth" -- not in a good way -- and not as well textured and not in as good of resolution as MK11)... I still circle back to the argument of "3D fighting games vs. 2D fighting games." I'll make the case with Akuma in Tekken 7, whom I hadn't played as in ages but did tonight. You can't tell me when you play as him in Tekken 7 -- in a full 3D playing field in which you can sidestep and all -- is in any way inhibiting of the experience of playing Akuma (who, let's be honest... is basically the same as playing as either Ryu or Ken in any SF game, with minor variables) vs. playing him in any 2D-based SF game (as in, all of them). I was landing SF-based combos, traditional Shorrrrrrukens, harrruuuukens, and haraptaparuuuukens just fine, hitting the same buttons as in any SF game, just with the added caveat of me being able to sidestep stuff with only a gentle tap or tap tap of the directional buttons. I'm still flummoxed at how being able to do so is somehow honestly being looked at as limiting or overly complicated in any way.
Funny you mention that, because, Akuma was specifically designed to play as close to the 2D games as possible.

Which made essentially "broken", since he doesn't follow the rules of other characters in the game and has an unfair advantage over them. Which is why you can see him a lot in the Tekken 7 tournaments.

So, in a weird way, you singing praises about how he plays, is admitting, that 2D gameplay is superior to 3D one, because, you are enjoying character who essentially breaks rules of the game he is in.

Quote:
Like, I'm playing MK11 and while the visual treat of it is amazing... every time I'm hit with a projectile or spear or anything when I could just sidestep, or hit an "invisible wall" at the left or right end of the level the same as MK1-3 25 years ago (some of them aren't invisible and some of them can be interacted with, to be fair, but not all)... this just makes me sad. This truly isn't progress. If the argument is that MKDA-MKA got to be "too much" with all the Animalities and different fighting styles and weapons and stuff, I would agree with you... but the basic benefits of operating on a 3D playing field shouldn't have been lost.
3D fighting games are not "progress".
They operate on entirely different ruleset from 2D fighting games.

Its like comparing Turn Based RPGs and Action RPGs. They both RPGs at its core, but both have their own specific rules and gimmicks and one is not better than the other.

Quote:
A quick bit on the "Aftermath" storyline. I finished it. I was a little disappointed in that I'd swore I'd read that Robocop and a couple other "weird" new fighters were integrated into the storyline only to not see them at all. Undoubtedly my fault -- I'm sure I misread something. So Shang Tsung teams up to help Liu Kang reconstruct reality by fetching the crown, betrays everybody at the end (surprise!), gets erased... and now Liu Kang basically facilitates what is essentially another MK reboot? That's what he does. Like, I don't believe for a moment anyone goes into the MK series expecting a clear and concise saga by any means... but is this a good idea? Like 2 games from the last reboot? I kind of thought what they might do was use the main MK11 story as a way to kill off older versions of existing characters to then swap in their now-altered younger selves to keep things fresh. But literally, Liu Kang recreating all of reality and everyone in it, dead or alive? Now? Hm...
I could rant for hours about how ****** MK11 story is...but I just say: it sucks major ass.

It retcons a lot of ****, it introduces countless amount of plotholes and questions in regards to previously established characters and lore. And, of course, it ***** all over character progress.

**** that trash and people who wrote it. After this game I've lost interest in MK story and possibly MK overall. The fact that gameplay sucked ass as well (IMO) doesn't help.

Quote:
Also... MK4. Or rather MK Gold. This is what I'm trying out. And yes! If any version of MK4 including this one is in any way your reason for citing MK being incompatible with 3D fighting... well, you're wrong and you're right. MK4/Gold is a HORRIBLE way to introduce 3D fighting. I mean it's a little thing they did, and it is dependant on the "run button" which I never liked, even in MK3.
MK Gold and in general MK4 were undercooked and essentially still 2D fighting games with 3D gimmicks thrown here and there. Its quite similar in concept to Street Fighter EX series, except SFEX still had quality Street Fighter gameplay and variety, something that classic MK were not known for.

Quote:
But shesus. Again. I point to playing as Akuma in Tekken 7. Where are all the voices against this, who have tried this? You people act like this changes everything. It doesn't! It just makes things not in a straight line. 2D fighters can be played on a phone.
Weird argument to make against 2D fighting games. This days, pretty every genre can be played on mobile. Does it mean that most of those genres are bad or outdated?

Last edited by Sumac; 05-07-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:42 AM   #67
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
MK4 on PC is the worst port of MK4 out there. MK4 on Arcade maybe doesn't have same amount of optional content (and secret characters), but it plays and looks much better.
Are you sure you're talking about the GOG version of MK4? Because while it is taking from the old PC version of MK4, it improves the graphics to an almost modern level, I understand, resolution wise.

Quote:
Majority of PS3 games emulated this days with no problems.
Though you will need a beefy machine for this and use some specific settings to make some games work. But it is not harder to work with than most other emulators.
Good. I see "MK vs. DC Universe" is one of the games currently emulatable.

Quote:
Funny you mention that, because, Akuma was specifically designed to play as close to the 2D games as possible.

Which made essentially "broken", since he doesn't follow the rules of other characters in the game and has an unfair advantage over them. Which is why you can see him a lot in the Tekken 7 tournaments.
Interesting. I'm not arguing with you, though when I'm getting my ass kicked really bad at Tekken 7 online, it's never by someone playing as Akuma. It's one of these new lady characters, or Lee, or something. And usually it is ME playing as Akuma.

Quote:
So, in a weird way, you singing praises about how he plays, is admitting, that 2D gameplay is superior to 3D one, because, you are enjoying character who essentially breaks rules of the game he is in.

3D fighting games are not "progress".
They operate on entirely different ruleset from 2D fighting games.
I'm not entirely sure I follow. If you say Akuma in Tekken 7 only works and you agree he does play like Akuma/Ryu/Ken in a normal SF 2D game, but only by cheating the rest of the "normal" characters and game in Tekken 7... what is the problem with making a new game -- be it a new SF game, or a new MK game -- where Akuma in Tekken 7 gameplay is the norm? Meaning, where you can sidestep, but otherwise moves and combos are essentially the same? i.e., everyone operating under Akuma "rules"?

If all characters and game is calibrated to it, I don't understand the problem.

Quote:
Its like comparing Turn Based RPGs and Action RPGs. They both RPGs at its core, but both have their own specific rules and gimmicks and one is not better than the other.
Well, I don't agree. On the general comparison. Adding one dimension to a fighting game doesn't make it something else entirely, I don't think.

Quote:
I could rant for hours about how ****** MK11 story is...but I just say: it sucks major ass.

It retcons a lot of ****, it introduces countless amount of plotholes and questions in regards to previously established characters and lore. And, of course, it ***** all over character progress.

**** that trash and people who wrote it. After this game I've lost interest in MK story and possibly MK overall. The fact that gameplay sucked ass as well (IMO) doesn't help.
I'm just curious. What were the things that bothered you the most? You're more invested in MK than me, but me as someone coming into MK11 after not playing any MK in a long time... MK11's core story was OK enough, but toward the end and then going into the "Aftermath," it really became like bad fanfiction.

Quote:
MK Gold and in general MK4 were undercooked and essentially still 2D fighting games with 3D gimmicks thrown here and there.
I guess that's right. Again, the fighting with the Run button to sidestep feels super inorganic and cumbersome and often times just plain doesn't work. Though I do appreciate them trying to join the 3D fighting game field without radically jarring gamers.

Quote:
Its quite similar in concept to Street Fighter EX series, except SFEX still had quality Street Fighter gameplay and variety, something that classic MK were not known for.
Meh. SF EX, like SF4 and SF5, is just another 2D game cloaked with 3D graphics and characters. There is no sidestepping or anything new, just ugly polygons, even by the standards of when it came out. I think they thought Virtua Fighter represented the future, and they were right in a way... but for the wrong reasons. IMO.

Quote:
Weird argument to make against 2D fighting games. This days, pretty every genre can be played on mobile. Does it mean that most of those genres are bad or outdated?
It probably wasn't a good argument for me to make. Obviously even a 2D fighting game with more than 2 buttons is going to be incredibly hard to play on a phone.

My general point was just that 2D fighters are simpler. And by simpler I don't mean DRASTICALLY simpler, I just mean unnecessarily so. And while you may be right that Akuma may represent an unfair character in Tekken 7 for the reasons you give (I'm not sure, I'll take your word for it), I see it as both proof positive that 2D fighters like MK and SF could integrate 3D fighting fairly simply... if every character is handled like Akuma in Tekken 7. If you take my meaning.

And also, again, DC Universe vs. MK. I've brought this up before, but I have nothing but awesome and fond memories of it. Particularly in that all of the MK characters operated perfectly fine in the 3D gaming there, while the moves still executed basically the same as 1-3 (more or less). Do you disagree there? Or if I were to word it differently... what do you feel DC Universe vs. MK took away from the previously traditional MK 2D experience (and by traditional MK 2D experience I mean the traditional MK 2D experience that was 5 games ago at that point), if anything? Because for me, as you might imagine, my big gripe was "Mortal Kombat with no blood or real Fatalities?!?! How dumb!" but beyond that... it really did feel like a proper MK game, just with some DC characters in it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-08-2021 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:37 AM   #68
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure you're talking about the GOG version of MK4? Because while it is taking from the old PC version of MK4, it improves the graphics to an almost modern level, I understand, resolution wise.
No, quality of the models is nowhere near close to the Arcade version. Also, it runs faster and controls looser than Arcade.

N64 version was the closest to the Arcade, than PS1 version and PC version was the worst. MK Gold arguably is the best home version of MK4, both graphics and content-wise.

Quote:
Interesting. I'm not arguing with you, though when I'm getting my ass kicked really bad at Tekken 7 online, it's never by someone playing as Akuma. It's one of these new lady characters, or Lee, or something. And usually it is ME playing as Akuma.
You are just not good enough. Sorry.
Akuma is "broken", but he is not an automatic ticket to the victory. Especially after multiple revisions of the game.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure I follow. If you say Akuma in Tekken 7 only works and you agree he does play like Akuma/Ryu/Ken in a normal SF 2D game, but only by cheating the rest of the "normal" characters and game in Tekken 7... what is the problem with making a new game -- be it a new SF game, or a new MK game -- where Akuma in Tekken 7 gameplay is the norm? Meaning, where you can sidestep, but otherwise moves and combos are essentially the same? i.e., everyone operating under Akuma "rules"?
Sidestepping changes a lot about gameplay. For one it completely changes usage of projectiles, which is a traditional meta for Street Fighter and even more so for MK. Not to mention it changes how teleports work and some other factors, like physics and juggling. Its also influences speed and dynamic of the game, since 3D fighting games are slower than 2D ones. When they try to be fast, you usually get MK4.

Basically, as I said: 2D and 3D fighting games are fundamentally different. You can't just copypaste 2D gameplay into 3D, add sidesteps and keep meta the same. This is not how it works and 3D is not better than 2D - it is just a different thing all together.

Quote:
If all characters and game is calibrated to it, I don't understand the problem.
It won't play like a Street Fighter game. Just like when MK moved to 3D it barely played like old MK games.

Even, though individual SF games are different from each other, all of them have the same fundamental rules. Moving series to 3D will change those rules, which will alienate a lot of fans and won't make new ones.

Quote:
Well, I don't agree. On the general comparison. Adding one dimension to a fighting game doesn't make it something else entirely, I don't think.
You are completely wrong.
I've explained why above.

Quote:
I'm just curious. What were the things that bothered you the most? You're more invested in MK than me, but me as someone coming into MK11 after not playing any MK in a long time... MK11's core story was OK enough, but toward the end and then going into the "Aftermath," it really became like bad fanfiction.
Without going into long rant: what bothered me the most that they mutilated lore of the series and destroyed character progress.

One of the most interesting things in the MK for me, even above gameplay, were lore and character progression. Each game added something new, but new stuff was usually working within previously established framework. MK11 effectively added so much stupid stuff (Titans who are parents of the Elder Gods, MK story being conflict between Liu and Raiden, set up by Kronika), which was never mentioned or hinted before, that it has effectively broke the lore for me. It was, basically like Rise of the Skywalkers for SW movies, which established that Emperor was alive and his death in Return of the Jedi was meaningless and sacrifice of Vader was basically for nothing.

And character progression was terminated as well. I am was not OK with MK9, since it invalidated all the progress and stories I was following, since 1994, but I made reluctant peace with it, since MK9 was more or less continuation of MKA and it was interesting to see, how story will go this time around.

MK11 terminates character progression again! At this point, I don't even know why I should bother following or care about individual stories, since next game can nullify them as well. Not to mention unexplained changes in the design, bunch of plotholes and unwarranted dumb retcons (origin of Mileena, Sindel being evil). Not to mention possibility that the next game will start story from scratch. If that happens...I don't know why I should even bother following MK story any more.

For me one of the key components of it, was that it was a continuous and mostly coherent story. Now its just a shredded towel, divided into multiple pieces.

Quote:
I guess that's right. Again, the fighting with the Run button to sidestep feels super inorganic and cumbersome and often times just plain doesn't work. Though I do appreciate them trying to join the 3D fighting game field without radically jarring gamers.
They could have just added different moveset for characters, which would have been much better and more coveted innovation, than sidesteps or weapons.

Main problem of MK4 was not only all characters played mostly the same, but Midway even removed individual MK3 combos. They wanted to create an open-ended combo system, but since all characters fundamentally has the same base moveset, it made all characters feel like almost clones of each other. Even ease of use of special moves was not good enough.

Quote:
Meh. SF EX, like SF4 and SF5, is just another 2D game cloaked with 3D graphics and characters. There is no sidestepping or anything new, just ugly polygons, even by the standards of when it came out. I think they thought Virtua Fighter represented the future, and they were right in a way... but for the wrong reasons. IMO.
Whatever you thoughts on SFEX it is still fundamentally a good series, when it comes to gameplay.

Also, it never attempted to be similar to Virtua Fighter. Core idea was similar to MK4 - take classic gameplay and put it into 3D with some 3D bells and whistles, but keep it familiar. Even SFEX was never very successful it is still worked better than MK4, since fundamentals of SF are just better.

Quote:
My general point was just that 2D fighters are simpler. And by simpler I don't mean DRASTICALLY simpler, I just mean unnecessarily so. And while you may be right that Akuma may represent an unfair character in Tekken 7 for the reasons you give (I'm not sure, I'll take your word for it), I see it as both proof positive that 2D fighters like MK and SF could integrate 3D fighting fairly simply... if every character is handled like Akuma in Tekken 7. If you take my meaning.
2D games are not "simpler". They are fundamentally different.
Also, as I said before - Akuma works in Tekken 7 that well only, because, he is an outlier and if you built 3D Street Fighter game, it will be radically different, like MKDA was different from MK4.

Quote:
And also, again, DC Universe vs. MK. I've brought this up before, but I have nothing but awesome and fond memories of it. Particularly in that all of the MK characters operated perfectly fine in the 3D gaming there, while the moves still executed basically the same as 1-3 (more or less). Do you disagree there? Or if I were to word it differently... what do you feel DC Universe vs. MK took away from the previously traditional MK 2D experience (and by traditional MK 2D experience I mean the traditional MK 2D experience that was 5 games ago at that point), if anything? Because for me, as you might imagine, my big gripe was "Mortal Kombat with no blood or real Fatalities?!?! How dumb!" but beyond that... it really did feel like a proper MK game, just with some DC characters in it.
I've never played MKvsDC myself so I can't comment on its gameplay, but from I know its fundamental formula was similar to MK4 - 2D gameplay in 3D with sidesteps. Which is not the same as 2D gameplay.

Once again, you can't keep gameplay the same, if you add 3D dimension. It will be radically different. And it won't make it better, it will make it just different.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #69
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't really have a strong preference either way. I just really like that there's variety in the genre. As I've said many times, I ain't good at 'em, but I do enjoy fighters a lot more than I used to.

I think I've seen Andrew make the point in the past that, essentially, "In Real Life if someone throws a projectile you'd be able to do more than just Jump or Duck, you'd be able to move side-to-side" and so forth, and therefore 3D-based fighters are "more realistic" and "better" - if I'm misspeaking or misinterpreting, Andrew, please feel free to correct me - and I do get the logic in that. It's one of my favorite things about SoulCalibur, for example; that extra dimension adds an entirely different element of strategy. I don't think it's "better" than Street Fighter-style gameplay, just different, and lots of fun in its own way.

But I also like Sumac's RPG analogy. In "Real Life" you don't take turns fighting and choose attacks from a menu while the enemies patiently wait their turn. But even given that, I wouldn't automatically say that Fable or Elder Scrolls are "better" than Final Fantasy just because the gameplay is more "real-time" based. I just love RPGs and I really don't have any strong preference for turn-based or action-RPG type of games.

Likewise, I've found a lot of fun with both 2D and 3D fighting games and I agree with Sumac that there are some pretty fundamental differences that go beyond just the ability to sidestep. You have to play them differently; if you try and play SoulCalibur the same way you play Street Fighter, you'll lose badly.

Given how I have no strong preference, though - and being more of a "casual fan" at best of MK at the time - I didn't have any problem with the series attempting to transition to 3D. And I really had a lot of fun with those games (even though it's been a while since I played them). But at the same time, I don't have a serious problem with them going "back to the roots" for MK9, X and 11, either. Both for marketing purposes and recapturing some of the audience that drifted away after MK4, it was probably the smart thing to do. Would I, personally, have complained if they'd kept the series in 3D, though? Nah.

I also agree with Andrew that MK vs. DC was a lot better than people say it is. I think that the MK and Injustice games since then are objectively a lot better, but I seriously think people got SO hung up on the fact that it was "neutered" by MK standards that they couldn't just enjoy the game as it was. Graphically, mechanically, and gameplay-wise, I think it's a fine game. The only thing "missing" was the splatter, and while that IS a fundamental part of the "MK Experience", if a person sincerely can't enjoy a game simply because there's no chance of seeing Sub-Zero rip Superman's head off, then that person needs to grow the f*ck up. For me, the story was decent and the character interaction was fun. And it played well. I think going back to it now, especially, since we've seen the MK games go more over-the-top than ever with the gore, the "sin" of MK vs DC being watered-down should be a non-issue. It's ONE game in a whole series that happens to be a little more tame than the rest; big deal!
--------------

Anyways, I'm still playing MK 2011, and probably will be for a bit since there's so much to do. I've done about 215 of the Challenge Tower missions - I think there's 300? - and I still need to beat Arcade with pretty much everyone. It's a lot of fun, but some of the Challenges are pretty annoying. Some of them are super-easy but a couple of them took me almost an hour. That said, there's definitely a big "YEAH!" feeling whenever I finally get past one of the ones that I'm stuck on, and I haven't had to pay Koins to skip any of them, yet. Definitely more fun than frustrating, though. I'm sure that people who are actually good at these games can whip through it no problem.

Also, I know it's "controversial" for some people but I'm glad that they actually just have Fatalities listed in the Moves List with the newer games. That always annoyed me as a kid, having to buy or borrow magazines and write all the stuff down; I get that for some people finding all the "secrets" was part of the fun but I always would have rather they just put them in the instruction manual or something. Back in those days I'd only have rented a game like MK for a weekend and I didn't want to spend my entire time with it fumbling around trying to find the magic button combo for Sub-Zero's finisher. It's more fun to just do the thing, for me.
--------

For the record, as pretty much a neophyte in this genre I really like observing these conversations.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 05-08-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #70
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I own the original PC port of MK4.

However I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with a 512GB Retropie image, And it has different versions of MK4, Mortal Kombat Gold is the better version of MK4.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 05-08-2021 at 05:52 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #71
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Also, I know it's "controversial" for some people but I'm glad that they actually just have Fatalities listed in the Moves List with the newer games. That always annoyed me as a kid, having to buy or borrow magazines and write all the stuff down; I get that for some people finding all the "secrets" was part of the fun but I always would have rather they just put them in the instruction manual or something. Back in those days I'd only have rented a game like MK for a weekend and I didn't want to spend my entire time with it fumbling around trying to find the magic button combo for Sub-Zero's finisher. It's more fun to just do the thing, for me.
I don't like that you need to unlock them in the Krypt.
Especially in MK11 where prizes are randomly generated.

Also, any analogies between real world and fighting games don't make sense since in real world your won't be able to shoot energy from your hands, casually jump over people or wake up after 10-hit combo.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #72
Leo656
The Franchise

I haven't played up to MK11 yet; in MK 2011 only the alternate Fatalities are the ones you have to unlock so at least you still have one to start out with. Pretty sure I bought all the Fatalities in the Krypt before I bought anything else. That sucks if the prizes in the newer game are random, though. That'd be pretty annoying, I imagine.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:05 AM   #73
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I haven't played up to MK11 yet; in MK 2011 only the alternate Fatalities are the ones you have to unlock so at least you still have one to start out with. Pretty sure I bought all the Fatalities in the Krypt before I bought anything else. That sucks if the prizes in the newer game are random, though. That'd be pretty annoying, I imagine.
In MK11 you either hope to get lucky to unlock what you need in Krypt or spent real money to get rolls in a lottery.
Welcome to the age of microtransactions!
Old 05-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

Since there's still no MK12 announced, I do wonder if we'll still get another DLC round. Its basically gotten to the point where fighters are evergreen and don't need sequels to keep going. They can also continue to add more Story DLC like they did already to keep the plot moving without a new game.

MK11 is still missing some classic fighters like Reptile, Ermac, Sektor/Cyrax/Smoke, and a few others, I'd like it to keep going then re-build everyone from scratch again. I feel like MK's fighting style has been perfected in MK11, so rebuilding everyone from start will be pointless. Also the graphics especially the PS5 version look amazing still.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #75
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Since there's still no MK12 announced, I do wonder if we'll still get another DLC round. Its basically gotten to the point where fighters are evergreen and don't need sequels to keep going. They can also continue to add more Story DLC like they did already to keep the plot moving without a new game.

MK11 is still missing some classic fighters like Reptile, Ermac, Sektor/Cyrax/Smoke, and a few others, I'd like it to keep going then re-build everyone from scratch again. I feel like MK's fighting style has been perfected in MK11, so rebuilding everyone from start will be pointless. Also the graphics especially the PS5 version look amazing still.
It will be a while until we get any MK12 announcement, When Injustice is due for another game, Or possibly a Marvel game if the rumors are true.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #76
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

We'll see at E3: if NRS won't announce anything there, it might be a good chance they will do announcement of the next game in August (GamesCom and EVO) or December (Game Awards).

I wouldn't exclude EVO or GamesCom as places when and where DLC 3 can be announced, but further from anniversary - less chances it'll happen.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #77
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
In MK11 you either hope to get lucky to unlock what you need in Krypt or spent real money to get rolls in a lottery.
Welcome to the age of microtransactions!
OH yeah, I remember a bunch of angry articles about that when the game came out. Yeesh, that's a real bummer.

Old 05-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #78
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
OH yeah, I remember a bunch of angry articles about that when the game came out. Yeesh, that's a real bummer.
Yeah I remember that, Some of the microtransaction stuff were things like easy fatalities, Where you just have to press one button to do it instead of some combination, But they were one time use only.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #79
Sumac
Banned

MTX for easy Fatalities have appeared back in MKX, sadly.
But it least it didn't had randomized Krypt.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #80
AquaParade
Banned

“Sunday, Monday, happy days...”
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote