The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-24-2021, 02:40 AM   #1
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

So will TMNT soon be "culturally cancelled"?

With child restrictions on Disney's "Dumbo" and "Peter Pan" and "The Aristocrats", Looney Tunes' Pepe Le Pew being cancelled as well as Speedy Gonzales, 6 Dr. Seuss children books no longer being published, and in summer 2020 temporarily pausing the cartoon "Paw Patrol" because of George Floyd...

Is it just a matter of time before TMNT (in any universe) is eventually restricted or have trigger warnings?
Due to some believing:
  • The American turtles culturally appropriating Japanese martial arts?
  • Master Splinter perpetuating Asian stereotypes (as the Mark Dice clip below speculates at 2:31)?
  • Having April not being able to fight as proficiently as the Turtles is continuing the cultural misogyny through the damsel-in-distress trope?

See at 2:31:

Welcome to the cultural progression of 2021.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:51 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There may be a push to make the Turtles pre-mutation into clearly Japanese turtles, to avoid the issue.

Which isn't an issue. It's only morons.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:13 AM   #3
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Except Splinter/Hamato Yoshi WAS Japanese.

Idk,has the twitter crowd run out of targets,so they might come for 30 y.o. cartoon? It's possible,I guess.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:22 AM   #4
Sumac
Banned

I am sure some retards will try to do it.
They believe that until their generation everything was "sexist, racist, e.t.c.", so it is not matter of "what" targets do they choose, but "when".

Also, one should remember they are doing it not for progressive society, but to inflate their limp egos, caused by the fact they are failures at everything else in life.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Didn't TMNT basically get cancelled back in 2017/2018 right before Rise Of premiered?

I remember a lot of arguing about whether April was originally black or not in the Mirage Comics, people accusing Eastman and Laird of racism (especially Eastman), and so on.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
I remember a lot of arguing about whether April was originally black or not in the Mirage Comics, people accusing Eastman and Laird of racism (especially Eastman), and so on.
No actual claims, just a lot of fan hubbub. Founded in nothing. Based on nothing. And turned out to BE nothing.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No actual claims, just a lot of fan hubbub. Founded in nothing. Based on nothing. And turned out to BE nothing.
I never said there was validity to the claims...

I'm just saying that the series basically got raked through the coals by SJWs during that time.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I never said there was validity to the claims...

I'm just saying that the series basically got raked through the coals by SJWs during that time.
Well, this is kind of -- actually not even kind of, it IS -- the fundamental problem with all of this. It isn't the SJW types spewing this stuff, it is the people that humor it and fan it. And it always has been. Because there will always be those types... and there always has been. It's just, in the past 5 years, suddenly everyone has decided we need to listen to them and be afraid of them.

So... it's kind of on those people and it's kind of on us.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:35 AM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Nah, it's just snowflake cuckservatives trying to be outraged over something that hasn't happened because they love FAKE news and being outraged just as much as SJW, they're all the same people on the inside.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Nah, it's just snowflake cuckservatives trying to be outraged over something that hasn't happened because they love FAKE news and being outraged just as much as SJW, they're all the same people on the inside.
Eh?

Go through some TMNT Twitter and fandom based blogs from around 2017/2018, and I can assure you that this did happen.

For the record, a lot of the people on Twitter who cancelled TMNT/Eastman and Laird back then seem to be the same ones who tag their Twitter posts with #SaveROTTMNT, and are huge fans of it now. I catch them trashing the other incarnations of the series as well, especially the 2012 series.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:45 AM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Anyone can write an outraged tweet and get 30 likes and 13 retweets, people will post that on a blog because they know the usual gang will see the headline, be outraged and click and then be mad about the article they just read and share it to show how outraged they are. It's how blogs have been making money since 2016 in mass, nothing new anymore. There's always going to be 1 person that will be offended by something, doesn't mean anything going to happen.

Even if it gains "some traction" it takes a lot to get something "cancelled", remember when they tried to cancel Marilyn Manson, that one had plenty of media but it's flippin' Marilyn Manson, of course he's a degenerate, not going to hurt his career more than when they tried to cancel him in the 90s.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:46 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Even if it gains "some traction" it takes a lot to get something "cancelled", remember when they tried to cancel Marilyn Manson, that one had plenty of media but it's flippin' Marilyn Manson, of course he's a degenerate, not going to hurt his career more than when they tried to cancel him in the 90s.
He's already been cancelled. Lost his agent, and they edited him out of the episodes of "American Gods" he was yet to appear in.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #13
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Anyone can write an outraged tweet and get 30 likes and 13 retweets, people will post that on a blog because they know the usual gang will see the headline, be outraged and click and then be mad about the article they just read and share it to show how outraged they are. It's how blogs have been making money since 2016 in mass, nothing new anymore. There's always going to be 1 person that will be offended by something, doesn't mean anything going to happen.
True, however, I do remember there being a lot of outrage going on due to the controversy with April being black in ROTTMNT, and whether she was originally black in the Mirage Comics and subsequently whitewashed after the fact. It caused a huge stink in the fandom for a time.

I don't think the series itself got cancelled, mostly because ROTTMNT ended up having April being black, and many of those folks who sided with the show being progressive ended up loving it while deriding other parts of the franchise like other shows and comics.

Personally, I don't mind April being black. I remember there was a rumor that they wanted to make her black in the 2012 series (I can't find an actual verification of this, the concept art has April as a blonde 'party girl' that Raphael had a crush on instead), and I didn't care as long as she was interesting/entertaining. I am not pleased with other aspects of ROTTMNT (but then again, I have criticisms for all of the cartoons in one way or another).
Old 03-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
He's already been cancelled. Lost his agent, and they edited him out of the episodes of "American Gods" he was yet to appear in.
Yeah, there's talk about getting the FBI involved in the investigation. He's not doin' too good.

For my part, I am shocked that a guy who presents as he does and lives off of nothing but cocaine ALSO beats and rapes women and chases them with an ax when he's angry. "Allegedly". I am very, VERY shocked by this.

I never, ever bought that "It's just a persona" stuff. To a point, sure, it's exaggerated, but he gave himself that "persona", nobody stuck it on him. If that's the way you choose to present yourself to the world, then bottom line, there IS something f*cking wrong with you. And what makes it worse is that he has tons of fans who don't get that some of it is a "persona" and they take it as 100% sincere, then turn around and perpetuate those things into Real Life. Some of the Manson acolytes I knew in high school have almost certainly killed someone by now. Those people were f*cking warped; it was far beyond just music or "I think he dresses cool."

What's really gross is that some of those people are women, and some of those women sincerely push the "If he was married/dating those women then he couldn't have raped them, because you can't rape someone you're in a relationship with" narrative. Seriously, this is a thing women who like Marilyn Manson tell me, and it's not an isolated thing, it's a LOT. Some of them openly say "I WISH Marilyn Manson would tie me up and beat me, I think that would be hot." And those people need f*cking therapy. Or cyanide. Whichever. Frankly I think they're beyond all hope, but that's me.

F*ck Marilyn Manson. I kinda hope he doesn't see the other side of this. He's quite clearly a Very Bad Person.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

btw cuckservative is being used ironically, it's just as retarded as "libtard", this thread is silly and needs to be treated as such.

Quote:
So? He's Marilyn Manson, he's been in bigger controversies and gotten banned from many more places. He's a metal singer not an actor, people will go see him in concerts and venues will have him. He's dealt with actual controversy with consequences in the past.

Who ever thought Marilyn Manson wasn't a bad person?

Quote:
True, however, I do remember there being a lot of outrage going on due to the controversy with April being black in ROTTMNT, and whether she was originally black in the Mirage Comics and subsequently whitewashed after the fact. It caused a huge stink in the fandom for a time.

I don't think the series itself got cancelled, mostly because ROTTMNT ended up having April being black, and many of those folks who sided with the show being progressive ended up loving it while deriding other parts of the franchise like other shows and comics.

Personally, I don't mind April being black. I remember there was a rumor that they wanted to make her black in the 2012 series (I can't find an actual verification of this, the concept art has April as a blonde 'party girl' that Raphael had a crush on instead), and I didn't care as long as she was interesting/entertaining. I am not pleased with other aspects of ROTTMNT (but then again, I have criticisms for all of the cartoons in one way or another).
The tumblr type crowd is always going to be outraged, will always ship every character in a show, will always make characters gay in their fanart. It's what they do, no one actually pays attention to them, they're like the furry community they do their thing and it rarely crosses over to the "real" world.

And when it does then sure people can complain about it, but it's silly to be outraged over what people something that most likely is just within a small niche.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:

So? He's Marilyn Manson, he's been in bigger controversies and gotten banned from many more places. He's a metal singer not an actor, people will go see him in concerts and venues will have him.
Sick people, sure. People who probably should be forcibly sterilized.

"Back in the day" was a different time. R. Kelly got away with his pedo sh*t for a long time, too... until people finally got fed up.

Times change. Values change. When your number's up, it's up.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I separate artists from the art, I wouldn't be able to listen to most of the music I listen to otherwise. Artists tend to be messed up and fame only exponentializes that.
First saw Marilyn Manson at the 2004 Ozzfest, great show but post 2001s manson records haven't been great, same can be said for most bands after their first few records though. It really wasn't cool to like Manson during that time anymore though, since he was a relic of the past.

Mechanical Animals amazing album

and you know why we're talking about Marilyn Manson? Because this is non-news and the TMNT have 0 possibility of being cancelled.

Last edited by sdp; 03-24-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT will get canceled because the Turtles live in the sewer and represent the LGBT crowd of "coming out of the closet" since the Turtles cannot mate with any female Turtles.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #19
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

This stupid thread got pretty far without a mention of Kevin Splinter Clash being accused of diddlying kids. Whatever happened with that?
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:47 AM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

Nothing really. He still works with the Henson company, he did stuff on that Dark Crystal show apparently. Allegedly there was no "diddling kids" involved in the accusations, although at least one of the guys he was in a relationship with was underage when they first met but before they had a relationship, thus there's a bit of a gray area. But such things are supposedly not uncommon in gay relationships.

But yeah, it would seem that there wasn't much fire to the smoke, and so his name took a big hit but he still gets work in the industry.

I didn't follow that situation all that closely, but one would think that if there was a lot of truth to the accusations that the Henson company wouldn't still employ him, especially given their reputation for family entertainment and whatnot. It would be a bad look for them to retain him if those accusations proved to be more than just accusations.

One would think, anyway.

Tags
cancel culture