The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

I watched it religiously from 1991 through 1996 but after that it took a sharp downhill slide.

Liquid Television was the sh*t, yo. And reruns of Speed Racer at like 1am.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:41 PM   #22
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
if you were a teen in the 90s perhaps, no little kid was watching MTV, they weren't the target audience, MTV was not at all popular in the 2000's, it became irrelevant because of the internet except for some reality shows no one remembers.

before someone

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...65/DpQ9YJl.png

Well yeah, a cable channel will still have an audience, but to be "MTV Generation" that's because it had a huge audience that it influenced the lives of a good chunk of the generation, MTV wasn't doing that in the 2000's, it was the internet. I'm sure that MTV's impact on 90s teenagers was much smaller than it was on 80s teens.
Early 2000s MTV was good with the actual good shows they were showing. It's the Jersey Shore era that killed it for good.

Last Movie Watched: Child's Play (2019).
Last TV Show Watched: Day of the Dead (S1:E1).
Last Video Game Played: The Evil Within (PS4).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:13 AM   #23
Wildcat
Foot Elite

It’s true MTV is not as good as it was but I gotta be honest...I love watching Ridiculousness. Seeing all the crazy videos and Rob, Steelo and Chanel’s banter makes me laugh. I find it relaxing.

I started watching these marathon blocks last year. The early seasons are forced and too rapid-fire. They really clicked around 2015 according to the date (whatever season that was). They’re better without celebrity guests. Some are good but a lot are annoying or don’t fit.

Deliciousness with Tiffani, Kel, Angela and Tim is also cool. They reuse some of the videos but they’re funny too.

Adorableness is ok and Messyness, which hasn’t aired yet, looks fine but it’s based on the “party/drunk” theme. The videos are entertaining (I’m sure they’ll reuse some) but I’m not into that at all.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:51 AM   #24
drgon78
Mad Scientist

MTV has been dead to me for a long time.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:20 AM   #25
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Clone High was the last show on MTV that I found worth my time.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:49 AM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I watched it religiously from 1991 through 1996 but after that it took a sharp downhill slide.

Liquid Television was the sh*t, yo. And reruns of Speed Racer at like 1am.
Loved Aeon Flux. The Head and The Maxx were cool too.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #27
Papenbrook
Sonicalypse

Even though I wasn't alive when MTV was at its prime, I still want to experience the culture around it.

It sounds like it had good programming.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #28
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
It did, in the beginning. That meme going around about 14 years of music is fairly accurate. Up until the mid 90s, when it was taken over by reality shows and other crap.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #29
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

I used to watch some VH-1 a few years ago.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #30
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Loved Aeon Flux. The Head and The Maxx were cool too.
Love Aeon Flux too. I have the DVD box set here for years but have never gotten all the way through it.... lmao! Crazy.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

It's funny, because MTV definitely pioneered the whole "Reality TV" deal with "The Real World" and "Road Rules", they were insanely popular and essentially created an entire new way of doing TV that would go on to dominate the early-2000s (and still has a lingering impact today). So you can't deny that.

But on the other hand... I remember trying to watch "The Real World", because everyone else did, and I was SO not into it, and in the back of my mind I was like, "This is the show that's gonna screw everything up for MTV." It wasn't a big deal at first, but once they started doing marathons that covered an entire weekend the writing was on the wall. Like imagine being a kid who's actually into music and music videos - don't laugh, it was actually incredibly common back then - but your TV watching during the week was limited, so you'd look forward to finally having all weekend to catch up on some MTV... and they're playing Real World non-stop instead. That was super annoying, and it got more and more common as the 90s went on.

Another thing was when they f*cked up the Top 20 countdown. That used to be a huge thing, and then little by little they whittled it down. Originally, they played all 20 videos in full; then, they'd only play a few seconds of a few random, inconsequential videos that were low on the countdown or maybe had already been played a million times. Annoying, but reasonable I guess. Then it was like they'd skip most of 20 through 11, and only play the Top 10 (and even then they'd blow past a few), until finally they switched it to "Total Request Live", cut it to just 10 videos, put that nitwit Carson Daly in front of it and pretty much only played the Number 1 video in full and just clips from the rest, a lot of times. That was right around the time everyone up and decided they were done with MTV. Except people who were REALLY into Real World and Road Rules.

Alternative Nation, 120 Minutes, Liquid Television, Totally Julie, Headbanger's Ball... they used to have some incredible blocks of programming on there. I'd even put on Yo! MTV Raps sometimes if I was super bored or just trying to get the most out of staying up late on a weekend. Even the rap was good back then, mostly. We're talking the late-80s and early-90s stuff. And again, there was that wacky period of time when they'd play Speed Racer reruns at like 1 in the morning, that sh*t was dope. I was too young to partake yet, but I can only imagine people my older sister's age smoking weed and watching sh*t like Speed Racer, Liquid TV or The Maxx at 1 or 2 in the morning, back then. Must've been a blast. As it is I watched the stuff but I wasn't getting "the fully intended effect" so to speak.

Yeah, sh*t was good until about 1996. After that, newp.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:35 PM   #32
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Like imagine being a kid who's actually into music and music videos - don't laugh, it was actually incredibly common back then - but your TV watching during the week was limited, so you'd look forward to finally having all weekend to catch up on some MTV... and they're playing Real World non-stop instead.
Aw no dude, I loved MTV back then but my bro was SUPER into MTV back then.

I remember Yo MTV Raps played like 2 in the morning back when I still had school. Had to program the VCR to catch some of that.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #33
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I used to watch some VH-1 a few years ago.
VH1 was good in the 80s and some of the 90s too, but like MTV, that went downhill. I used to watch both stations a lot. BET was better when that first started, too. Video Soul was one show I used to watch on that station hosted by Donny Simpson. I have an idea why BET went downhill, though, but I don't really want to get into that...
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote