The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 03:19 AM   #41
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I was 5 or 6, probably one of the first movies I have ever seen in a theater.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #42
mikey0
Foot Elite

From what I’ve heard, some movie theaters gave out ‘88 TMNT plushes from Playmates on opening day with a ticket. Movie theaters did neat stuff like that almost all of the time from 1990 (TMNT plushes, Dick Tracy shirt, Home Alone slap wraps) into the 2000s (Pokèmon TCG cards).

The TMNT movie sold the toys much better than the Fred Wolf cartoon did.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:49 AM   #43
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
From what I’ve heard, some movie theaters gave out ‘88 TMNT plushes from Playmates on opening day with a ticket. Movie theaters did neat stuff like that almost all of the time from 1990 (TMNT plushes, Dick Tracy shirt, Home Alone slap wraps) into the 2000s (Pokèmon TCG cards).
For the second film, my theater gave out TMNT-themed dollar bills. I wish I still had mine.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #44
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
For the second film, my theater gave out TMNT-themed dollar bills. I wish I still had mine.
Were they these dollar bills or movie exclusives: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mut...-/303200023492

I know Burger King was giving away TMNT2: Secret of the Ooze posters around that time, but not much else.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:45 PM   #45
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

Think they could pull off a special edition of this and actually keep it under wraps from fans?
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:35 PM   #46
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
Think they could pull off a special edition of this and actually keep it under wraps from fans?
We’ll have to wait until March 30th to see.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #47
bwwd
Hench Mutant

There wont be any special edition, even Steve Barron expressed his interest to release his private documentary footage from 1st movie but studio dont want it.
Seriously guys, how many movies youve seen that had this kind of content, they just do basic making of behind the scenes and thats it.
Id love to see entire thing not edited for time but unless You know Steve Barron You wont see it.
Even tmnt docu had making of 1st movie footage cut , they should just release whole thing, i dont know if it was licensing issue or what or they have that behind the scenes content
from Steve but decided not to use it all.We want it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q48F_jaFdoY

Last edited by bwwd; 02-20-2020 at 03:06 PM.
bwwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Not enough people want it to make it profitable. Ergo, it won't happen. Some of you guys are perptually setting yourselves up for disappointment.

I don't even think there's much in the way of gems in the deleted footage to even get excited about. Maybe some small bits and pieces at the farm. The deleted ending was dumb.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #49
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not enough people want it to make it profitable. Ergo, it won't happen. Some of you guys are perptually setting yourselves up for disappointment.

I don't even think there's much in the way of gems in the deleted footage to even get excited about. Maybe some small bits and pieces at the farm. The deleted ending was dumb.
Although I agree, the original ending is dumb and any real hope in a new supplement-laden 4K release is setting yourself up for disappointment, the major issue is rights, not numbers.

There's plenty, plenty, PLENTY of potential supplemental content, including deleted scenes/footage.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
the major issue is rights, not numbers.
Those two go hand in hand. If they are reasonably sure numbers will be there, they will sort major rights issues out.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #51
mikey0
Foot Elite

The first TMNT was relevant to that time (the early 1990s) and consistent with other films from that era (Batman, Captain America, and Dick Tracy). A Criterion Collection or Special Edition copy of the first film would be nice for the fans, but the regular copy can suffice for fans.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #52
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The first TMNT was relevant to that time (the early 1990s) and consistent with other films from that era (Batman, Captain America, and Dick Tracy). A Criterion Collection or Special Edition copy of the first film would be nice for the fans, but the regular copy can suffice for fans.
Yeah, have to agree. I'd probably go and get a special edition of the first TMNT movie myself, but the original is fine and dandy.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:08 AM   #53
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Shout Factory might have plans for a bluray
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #54
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Although I agree, the original ending is dumb and any real hope in a new supplement-laden 4K release is setting yourself up for disappointment, the major issue is rights, not numbers.

There's plenty, plenty, PLENTY of potential supplemental content, including deleted scenes/footage.
Agreed on all accounts. There's a lot of interesting tidbits that would make for some great features.

I feel like I've gone on and on about the deleted footage, how much we know is there, and while I think the majority of them didn't serve the film and the whole affair is better without them (especially the original ending), there is value in seeing what could have been and how much the editing process can have a positive effect (or in some cases, a negative effect) in shaping the film we all know and might love.

Also, there's the value of seeing how much work went into bringing the Turtles to life.

But I do agree that Warner Home Video probably isn't interested in releasing a Special Edition. TMNT '90 is a catalog title. Recency bias is in full swing these days and the major studios are no longer motivated in going the extra mile for these releases. Companies like Shout Factory and Arrow will, and I can see them doing it, but I wonder if Barron's film is a in weird place where while it is just a catalog title and WHV will do little more than repackage the same disc, because of the popularity of the franchise itself, maybe WHV might ask for too much to license it or maybe they won't license it out at all? I'm not sure.

Also, major rights issues aren't always sorted out so easily. The Friday the 13th series has been held up by an ongoing lawsuit for a long while now. They can't make another film because of this and we're in an age where the success of the most recent Halloween film has made it financially feasible for them to do one. (Its success has inspired another Candyman.)

Another example is the Batman TV series. It's owned by Fox and of course, the Batman IP is owned by Warner Bros. It took forever for those two studios to work out the rights for us to finally get the series itself on home video. (I think there were other complications in the rights, because Batman: The Movie has had a consistent presence on home video.) Granted, Fox is now owned by Disney, so who knows what kind of effect that will have on its availability.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I mean, this maybe had a chance at the height of DVD and blu-ray popularity. Now? No chance.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #56
pferreira
Foot Elite

Arguably the best TMNT movie and one of the best things to come out of the franchise. I was about seven or eight when the film was released. I never saw it in cinema. My experience of seeing the first movie was that my dad knew a guy who had a pirated copy of the movie on VHS so I basically got to see the movie before anyone at school in the UK! When the movie was broadcast in the UK was shocked by how heavily edited it was.

Quote:
The very existance of that movie, what I know is in it, and how they marketed it still make me angry. I still haven't watched it.
You still haven't watched the movie??? You should man, it's better than the 2014 one. Not great but more enjoyable. One of the main problems with the movie is that perhaps they introduce too many new characters into the movie.

Quote:
I remember the title sequence receiving a loud applause from all of the children in the audience (including my cousin). To this day, I don’t understand why the Fred Wolf cartoon logo was used for the 1990 movie. I find it baffling.
It's an iconic logo, it suits any iteration of TMNT perfectly.

Quote:
I mean, this maybe had a chance at the height of DVD and blu-ray popularity. Now? No chance.
We live in a world of 4K streaming. If they don't do it for blu-ray 4K they will have to do it for streaming one day. Not an 'if' but 'when'.

Quote:
Agreed but what's the rights issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
Another example is the Batman TV series. It's owned by Fox and of course, the Batman IP is owned by Warner Bros. It took forever for those two studios to work out the rights for us to finally get the series itself on home video.
The biggest problem was clearing the cameos. There were cameos almost every episode and it was going to cost a lot to keep them without butchering the episodes.

Last edited by pferreira; 03-24-2020 at 01:32 PM.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #57
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
If Escape from LA can get a 'Collectors Edition' Blu-Ray release this month, TMNT 90 isn't out of the question.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #58
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
If Escape from LA can get a 'Collectors Edition' Blu-Ray release this month, TMNT 90 isn't out of the question.
WHAT? Are you serious? Don't tease me about sh*t like this, man, my heart can't take it. This better be legit, if you're jerkin' me around I swear to God I'll find you.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #59
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
WHAT? Are you serious? Don't tease me about sh*t like this, man, my heart can't take it. This better be legit, if you're jerkin' me around I swear to God I'll find you.
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=7340
Old 03-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #60
Leo656
The Franchise

Incredible.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote