The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 03-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's mind boggling I dreamed of a collection like this since like...I dunno...maybe 2008? This is something I always wish happened for like 15 years. And even in my mind I had hoped they would include both the Arcade versions of TMNT II and IV and the console versions...and we got those as icing on the cake! Plus all 3 tournament fighters and all 3 Gameboy black and white games.

I'm literally crying right now. This is the happiest day of my life. Now I know what people feel like when they get married.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:56 PM   #42
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's not really piracy if you even once owned an actual copy of the games.
And how many people nowadays own all home console games for 4 different systems, not to mention arcade games, which are quite expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I also remember Tournament Fighters on Genesis being hard as hell in the single player, so the save states/rewind fetaure will be help to get up to Krang who is a secret boss in that game. A boss rush mode is excellent.
AFAIK, Krang is a regular boss in this game and not even a final one. And I've never heard about secret bosses in TF on Genesis.

You mean "amazing" boss rush mode, which consists out of 88 fights in a row, after which you are rewarded with a simple "Congratulations!" text?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:05 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
And how many people nowadays own all home console games for 4 different systems, not to mention arcade games, which are quite expensive?
Well, I do, but what I'm talking about is if I once owned a physical copy of Hyperstone Heist for Genesis, I don't feel one bit of guilt in downloading a ROM for it and playing it on my PC or laptop with a controller. And I don't think anyone else should either.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:11 PM   #44
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I was completely blown away by this.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:12 PM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

From what I understand, much of the Genesis TF game's difficulty came from the controls being busted. But I confess I never played that one. I do have a few magazines that reviewed all the different versions side-by-side upon release and the Genesis one was pretty thoroughly trashed. Still pretty excited to play it for the sake of it, though.

SNES version had a few difficult characters, but nothing that can't be cracked with enough practice. Always loved that game despite not really being a "fighting game guy", and even less so back then. I did manage to beat Karai several times over the years, though. Oddly she's not even the most frustrating character to fight; I think Shredder cheats worse, but that's me.

I played the NES version... Once, I think? My buddy rented it but we barely messed with it, and then he got rid of his NES. So no real memories of that one but it will be neat to mess with it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:12 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

I have this weird thing where I don't mind watching movies/tv shows for free but it makes me sick doing it with videogames. I know it's a strange double standard, but I have never pirated a videogame in my life.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:20 PM   #47
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So which of the classic Konami games require this to have a T for teen rating?
Aska in the Japanese version of Tournament Fighters aside, the fighting games might still get that rating anyway since that's what most fighting games get rated as, including the Street Fighter games (of which the TMNT TF games are sorta aping).
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:39 PM   #48
Dask
Mad Scientist

If this game becomes a runaway success, there may be hope for a TMNT Tournament Fighters II on modern consoles!
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:46 PM   #49
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
If this game becomes a runaway success, there may be hope for a TMNT Tournament Fighters II on modern consoles!
Incredibly doubtful. But I'd like to see it. The Injustice 2 stuff shows how awesome such a thing as a TMNT fighting game could be if done well.

Old 03-09-2022, 07:51 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
There's nobody to make it unless Netherealm studios does it, but they're likely too busy making Mortal Kombat 12 and Injustice 3. At least the Turtles are playable DLC in Injustice 2.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:56 PM   #51
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Good question, I bet it will be around the time of Shredder's Revenge's release, I would imagine they release this one week prior to it, That way people can play those games to get them ready for it.
They wouldn't do that as one would cannibalize the other's sales.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:58 PM   #52
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Well, I do, but what I'm talking about is if I once owned a physical copy of Hyperstone Heist for Genesis, I don't feel one bit of guilt in downloading a ROM for it and playing it on my PC or laptop with a controller. And I don't think anyone else should either.
What if you had owned those before, but sold them and made back the money you initially paid for them (or more)?

Similarly, if you ever owned a movie on VHS, would pirating it on a different platform (DVD, bluray, digital, etc.) also fall under the same stipulations? And again, if you sold your VHS, would you still be entitled to a recorded copy of it?

Not that I'm against having/using ROMs, mind you (I asked that hypothetical mostly because I'm curious where you stand on the issue if it involves relinquishing physical ownership), but even if I do use ROMs myself, I do still like re-buying these collections for modern platforms. Partially because they're really good games and I like to show support and have them conveniently available in a legal way, but also in the hopes of...

Quote:
It's hard to say, but I've been wanting a sequel for ages.

Quote:
There's nobody to make it unless Netherealm studios does it, but they're likely too busy making Mortal Kombat 12 and Injustice 3. At least the Turtles are playable DLC in Injustice 2.
As cool as it was to have them in that game, I think I'd rather have an actual sequel to Tournament Fighters, gameplay-wise. Netherealm games don't play anything like Street Fighter (or in this case, a game that heavily copies Street Fighter).
Old 03-09-2022, 08:20 PM   #53
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Me neither, but, once again, most people don't have all of those games at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
From what I understand, much of the Genesis TF game's difficulty came from the controls being busted. But I confess I never played that one. I do have a few magazines that reviewed all the different versions side-by-side upon release and the Genesis one was pretty thoroughly trashed. Still pretty excited to play it for the sake of it, though.
Its not problem with controls, they are fairly responsive, IMO.
The problem with collisions - they are awful, like in Pit Fighter or other early fighting games. They just feel wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I don't even know why they included all the Japanese versions of the games, I mean most likely since it doesn't cost them anything to include them since they already have the emulators but the only one that I think has any differences is the SNES Tournament Fighters or am I missing some other cosmetic differences in other games (outside of menus/title screens)?
They did it with Castlevania collection as well and their regional versions have even less differences. Guess, it is for purists / completionists sake. And people who get used to play certain versions of the game.

Last edited by Sumac; 03-09-2022 at 08:26 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:33 PM   #54
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
They did it with Castlevania collection as well and their regional versions have even less differences. Guess, it is for purists / completionists sake. And people who get used to play certain versions of the game.
I'm just amazed that they actually just put all these games in one collection. It's a pretty massive collection. Compare it with the Mega Man collections from Capcom and how some of them are split into volumes rather than having all the games from said series together in one collection.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:18 PM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah there's 13 games in this collection, it's pretty insane. I am just so surprised they included the Arcade versions too, especially since TMNT II Arcade is basically an almost completely different game than the NES version despite some similar locations. Turtles in Time Arcade just has a Clayface boss in the Dinosaur stage instead of Slash, and it's missing a few levels like the Technodrome and Sewer Stages the SNES version has.

I wonder if the Tournament Fighters games will include the input moves for the special moves in the pause menu, some of them are pretty obscure to use...otherwise time to pull out gamefaqs to look at the special move guide as if it's 1997!
Old 03-09-2022, 10:39 PM   #56
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

They could have left out many games... or skipped alternate versions, or worst of all, decided to split all the games across multiple collections to get more $$$, but it genuinely sounds good. I hope to pick it up on Steam if it comes there.

Things like this are valuable for preservation and more convenient than emulation. Happy to see it.

I'm still really sad to see the current state of Konami compared to where they were back then. Even what happened to Squaresoft (now Square-Enix) and similar publishers is a much stronger continuation than what they have.

Last edited by Zulithe; 03-09-2022 at 10:44 PM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:34 AM   #57
Prowler
Emperor

A collection of 80s of 90s TMNT video games had always been a dream of mine somewhat. But I've always felt it was never going to happen.

But colour me surprised, it is happening. And, naturally, I'll buy it. Being able to play the original Arcade game, Manhattan Project, Turtles in Time and SNES Tournament Fighters on the go all in the same system sounds pretty damn great to me.

And I'll also finally give the Game Boy games a try.

Would have been sweet if the GBA games of the 2k3 series were also included, but I can see why they are not.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:47 AM   #58
Prowler
Emperor

Like i said in the TMNT games section, I'm pleasantly surprised by this announcement. Never would I imagine this day would come. And it turned out even better than I had expected to with 13 games.

Definitely getting this for the Switch. Having TMNT Arcade game, Turtles in Time, Manhattan Project and SNES Tournament Fighters all on the same console and being able to play them on the go? Sweet!
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:39 AM   #59
Leo656
The Franchise

Maybe a Volume 2 if this goes well?

Old 03-10-2022, 01:59 AM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yeah there's 13 games in this collection, it's pretty insane. I am just so surprised they included the Arcade versions too, especially since TMNT II Arcade is basically an almost completely different game than the NES version despite some similar locations. Turtles in Time Arcade just has a Clayface boss in the Dinosaur stage instead of Slash, and it's missing a few levels like the Technodrome and Sewer Stages the SNES version has.

I wonder if the Tournament Fighters games will include the input moves for the special moves in the pause menu, some of them are pretty obscure to use...otherwise time to pull out gamefaqs to look at the special move guide as if it's 1997!
Is there even any evidence they will somehow edit these games in any way, beyond surface level "turn on smoothing" maybe? Because the trailer just seems like these are purely the ROMs themselves that have been available to everyone since about 2000 plugged into the same kind of emulators that have been available to everyone since also about 2000 but just with maybe a flashy background to not make a box look weird on your new TV.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote