The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
Torterra
Foot Soldier

Should Bebop and Rocksteady become good guys?

Been awhile since I been on here. But simple question do you feel that Bebop and Rocksteady should just become good guys instead of staying the main bad guy henchmen till the end of the series ?

I had an idea for them in my version where they were going to be members of purple dragons, then they join the foot clan (Mostly cause Hun just wanted to get rid them) and get mutated and be henchmen for the foot till the near end of the foot clan arc, then after the foot leave them for dead. The turtles save them and Mikey tell them to cut ties from the foot and become good guys. Then later on I have them join the mighty mutanimals as good guys.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Bebop and Rocksteady should be ignored, as in they don't show up at all, have no impact on the story, aren't mentioned and aren't even alluded to.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Not their biggest fan. That said, I didn't mind what Archie did with them.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
Torterra
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not their biggest fan. That said, I didn't mind what Archie did with them.
What Archie did with them?
Old 11-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torterra View Post
What Archie did with them?
After "The Final Conflict" they were banished to a planet with alien rhinos and warthogs, they immediately got naked and went native. They become allies at that point, basically.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torterra View Post
Been awhile since I been on here. But simple question do you feel that Bebop and Rocksteady should just become good guys instead of staying the main bad guy henchmen till the end of the series ?

I had an idea for them in my version where they were going to be members of purple dragons, then they join the foot clan (Mostly cause Hun just wanted to get rid them) and get mutated and be henchmen for the foot till the near end of the foot clan arc, then after the foot leave them for dead. The turtles save them and Mikey tell them to cut ties from the foot and become good guys. Then later on I have them join the mighty mutanimals as good guys.
I love Bebop and Rocksteady. Maybe they should become Anti-Heroes.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

No.

The best Bebop and Rocksteady were the early IDW appearances, doofus idiots who make up for their dimwittedness by their astonishingly brutal violence.

Smashed turtle shells and chainsaws, guy.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
No.

The best Bebop and Rocksteady were the early IDW appearances, doofus idiots who make up for their dimwittedness by their astonishingly brutal violence.

Hell yeah. Give me three.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
No.

Didn't they sort of start out that way in the original 90's cartoon? I mean not as brutally violent as it's being described here but in the pilot episodes the thing that made Bebop and Rocksteady even remotely a threat was there thuggish personalities being street gang members and being crazy stupid strong. These traits Bebop and Rocksteady had originally in the pilot at the very least gave the turtles pause when dealing with them at first. I kind of wish they had kept up with that aspect in the show. I don't mind Bebop and Rocksteady being dimwitted idiots the turtles can think circles around and make fools of, but at least keep the brutish violence of their natures and how monstrously strong they are compared to the turtles. In fact, I think being smarter and more strategic should be the only way the turtles can manage Bebop and Rocksteady. After the pilot episodes the turtles seemed on par with the two in terms of strength and their violent ways were toned way down to being infantile.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

In 2K12 at the end, it made it seem like they were going to turn over a new leaf. I don't mind the idea, but I'm used to them being idiot henchmen, so I guess that will likely stick.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
Didn't they sort of start out that way in the original 90's cartoon? I mean not as brutally violent as it's being described here but in the pilot episodes the thing that made Bebop and Rocksteady even remotely a threat was there thuggish personalities being street gang members and being crazy stupid strong. These traits Bebop and Rocksteady had originally in the pilot at the very least gave the turtles pause when dealing with them at first. I kind of wish they had kept up with that aspect in the show. I don't mind Bebop and Rocksteady being dimwitted idiots the turtles can think circles around and make fools of, but at least keep the brutish violence of their natures and how monstrously strong they are compared to the turtles. In fact, I think being smarter and more strategic should be the only way the turtles can manage Bebop and Rocksteady. After the pilot episodes the turtles seemed on par with the two in terms of strength and their violent ways were toned way down to being infantile.
"I think they're starting to tire."
"Yeah, another hour and they'll barely be able to throw another car at us."

Their first fight implied they were too strong to fight head on and they needed to be outsmarted. They should have kept them like that, but the regular series dumbed things down, including those two.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post

Their first fight implied they were too strong to fight head on and they needed to be outsmarted. They should have kept them like that, but the regular series dumbed things down, including those two.
For real. I wouldn't have had a problem if they'd more or less stayed like that for their whole run. Instead they became too dumb to function and that became the standard, thus ruining the entire idea.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #13
ssjup81
Foot Elite

When I found out that the 2012 show was going to use these characters, I really wasn't happy about it, but they grew on me there. The background was different and it was an interesting interpretation of the two.

Now, do I feel that if these characters are used in future mediums should be bad guys? No, I don't. I say have them in a grey area. Not particular bad, but not particularly good either, to make them more interesting and complex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post

For real. I wouldn't have had a problem if they'd more or less stayed like that for their whole run. Instead they became too dumb to function and that became the standard, thus ruining the entire idea.
Glad this was brought up. They were treated as actual threats in the beginning because of their brute strength, which made defeating them more of a challenge. Looking back on it, I really wish they would've more or less kept them like this. Finding ways to outdo them or out-strength them would have been more compelling to see every week. I guess it was just easier to hype up their stupidity and focus on that since the bad guys have to always lose while the good guys always win.

This also reminds me of Pokemon with the Rockets. In the beginning, they were being portrayed as an actual threat (like the games) to the point where for their debut episode, residents were being warned to stay in their homes. As the show went on, they became the comedy relief and also became obsessed with catching Pikachu. Something else from the original first series in its earlier eps, they took note of Pikachu being stronger than your average one, but they weren't obsessed with catching him. Usually they already had some other scheme going on and would happen to come across the main heroes and attack them too. Made more sense to do it that way until later on where they're pretty much stalking the group and getting defeated every time because....the good guys must win.

Last edited by ssjup81; 11-05-2020 at 08:54 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #14
Torterra
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
When I found out that the 2012 show was going to use these characters, I really wasn't happy about it, but they grew on me there. The background was different and it was an interesting interpretation of the two.

Now, do I feel that if these characters are used in future mediums should be bad guys? No, I don't. I say have them in a grey area. Not particular bad, but not particularly good either, to make them more interesting and complex.Glad this was brought up. They were treated as actual threats in the beginning because of their brute strength, which made defeating them more of a challenge. Looking back on it, I really wish they would've more or less kept them like this. Finding ways to outdo them or out-strength them would have been more compelling to see every week. I guess it was just easier to hype up their stupidity and focus on that since the bad guys have to always lose while the good guys always win.

This also reminds me of Pokemon with the Rockets. In the beginning, they were being portrayed as an actual threat (like the games) to the point where for their debut episode, residents were being warned to stay in their homes. As the show went on, they became the comedy relief and also became obsessed with catching Pikachu. Something else from the original first series in its earlier eps, they took note of Pikachu being stronger than your average one, but they weren't obsessed with catching him. Usually they already had some other scheme going on and would happen to come across the main heroes and attack them too. Made more sense to do it that way until later on where they're pretty much stalking the group and getting defeated every time because....the good guys must win.
Yeah, true about the Team Rocket thing and when anime was doing the whole Black and White series they turned them back to being these serious characters like how they were earlier on in the series. Only to get a total whiplash from fans hating on how they're all serious and wanting them to go back to being silly and goofy and that's how I feel some tmnt fans are going to be if they turn BB and Rocksteady into serious threats.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #15
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I am against turning Bebop and Rocksteady into good guys, as that would get rid of their relationship to Shredder and Krang.

I feel that the relationship between those four characters in the Technodrome was arguably the most key bedrock of the original cartoon, perhaps even more than the turtles themselves.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #16
Icebot
Foot Elite

I’d say no for the 87 cartoon because of the eps Rhino Man and The Foot Soldiers Are Revolting. In Rhino Man, they tried to be good guys to secretly do Shredder and Krang’s dirty work and they struggled to do it too. They had a hard time not shoplifting a toy teddy bear and hated being good guys. At the end of TFSAR, the turtles were talking about how weird it was to work with Bebop and Rocksteady.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:03 PM   #17
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

No.
I was never a fan of them... nor Tokka and Rahzar.
And then IDW happened.

Bebop and Rocksteady were great during City Fall era of IDW. Still dumb as $hit... but their brutality and violence was KEWL... in the way Spawn and Dragon were cool in the 90's. And when they "killed" Donnie, it was like... oh okay, they serve a purpose now! Finally.

But NO! They work best as henchmen to Saki and don't serve enough of a purpose as characters otherwise.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #18
leotardo
Random Punk

For me the archie comics made a good ending for them or atleast o thought that as a kid.