The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 11-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Confused about the number of new movies in development

So let me get this straight:

1. There's a Rise of the TMNT movie headed to netflix which will act as the series finale for the show? Ok that's fine.

2. There's a new CG movie in development which is an all-new universe and no connections to any previous series.

3. There's also a new live-action movie in development, seemingly being worked on by the same people from Platinum Dunes who made the previous two movies, but this is a reboot and no connection to the horrendous nostril hulk-like Turtle abominations we had, right?

So there's 3 new movies coming? And why is there both a CG movie and seemingly another live-action movie? This doesn't make sense.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

I assumed the PD movie was ditched, to be honest even before the CGI movie was announced (which a lot are assuming is in it's place), too quiet for too long. It's all quiet actually.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Presumably, yes, but we haven't heard anything about #3 for a while, so that's only assuming it's still on the table or perhaps on the back burner for later after the virus mess is gone.

Not sure what doesn't make sense though, it's different people on those projects...so why not. Between shows, comics, movies, and games there is often more than one iteration happening at the same time. Though I doubt a live action and the CGI would be released in the same year, were a live action film actively being made at the same time.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Both the CG movie and the Platinum Dunes movie were announced for theatrical releases, so I don't understand why they would have two reboots going on in theaters even if they don't come out the same year. Granted this was all pre-covid, but I'm still curious if they're going with this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

wouldn't be surprised if the third one's been straight-up cancelled with the state of things irl like others have said

chances are paramount is probably sour towards the idea of a new live-action movie in general after oots flopped, and i don't think the already shaky quality of most live-action tmnt media after the 1990 movie would alleviate that sentiment. given this is true (emphasis on "given") i'm actually quite disappointed. i knew pd was still involved with this one but from what little was said about it they seemed to have something good going on

Quote:
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/a-quie...-turtles-again
"I'm gonna say something I've never said before," added Fuller when asked why the TMNT franchise keeps on perpetuating itself. "The thing about the Turtles, it's the same thing about A Quiet Place. It's about a family and [the audience] being invested in a family. They are both family stories about the family sticking together and supporting one another."
this alone already made it sound way more knowledgeable of what the heart of the franchise than either of the prior pd films did and if it is done i at least hope we get some more concrete information on what it was gonna be about
retr0pia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #6
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0pia75 View Post
wouldn't be surprised if the third one's been straight-up cancelled with the state of things irl like others have said

chances are paramount is probably sour towards the idea of a new live-action movie in general after oots flopped, and i don't think the already shaky quality of most live-action tmnt media after the 1990 movie would alleviate that sentiment. given this is true (emphasis on "given") i'm actually quite disappointed. i knew pd was still involved with this one but from what little was said about it they seemed to have something good going on
A third movie in that continuity of the previous two PD movie will never happen and I have a feeling that another live action movie is unlikely anytime soon.

Quote:
this alone already made it sound way more knowledgeable of what the heart of the franchise than either of the prior pd films did and if it is done i at least hope we get some more concrete information on what it was gonna be about
They said similar things were said about the previous movies. All it meant was saying the word 'family' a lot.

There was nothing about those movies which showed they had any understanding of TMNT as a story about a family or what kind of family they were. For example there has always been a balance between Splinter as their master and father. He may be a tough taskmaster throughout various incarnations bit outright choking them seems way harsher than he's ever been depicted. On the flip side the turtles calling him 'dad' seems way too familiar for someone as formal as Splinter especially as his entire character is steeped in traditional Japanese martial arts lore. 'Master' or 'Father' is what he should be referred to by his sons. Even down to the design of the lair they seemed to not get it that it's supposed to be a familial home rather than a dream club house the fact that Splinter's room has a wall of boom boxes is a shocking misunderstanding of the character.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
A third movie in that continuity of the previous two PD movie will never happen and I have a feeling that another live action movie is unlikely anytime soon.
yeah i knew that bayturtles 3 not happening has been a long-confirmed thing. another live-action movie not happening period though, that i think we'll have to wait and see. though if they ever entertain a live-action tmnt project again i'd rather they try a tv show this time around. shame those rumors about a last ronin show were false, i would've watched it

Quote:
On the flip side the turtles calling him 'dad' seems way too familiar for someone as formal as Splinter especially as his entire character is steeped in traditional Japanese martial arts lore. 'Master' or 'Father' is what he should be referred to by his sons.
splinter being referred to as "dad" i'm actually alright with but i can see your point. though i think he's been referred like that a few times in idw, could be wrong though

it works in rise because in that show, splinter's portrayed as being a father first and a sensei second rather than simultaneously being both. maybe it is weird after having him be referred to as "father" or "sensei" for pretty much the whole franchise up until that point but it doesn't bother me if the context supports who they refer to each other as, if that makes sense

Quote:
Even down to the design of the lair they seemed to not get it that it's supposed to be a familial home rather than a dream club house the fact that Splinter's room has a wall of boom boxes is a shocking misunderstanding of the character.
this. for all the (very much rightful) flak the pd movies get for their character designs i don't see enough talk about how overblown and unappealing they are visually in general. granted oots wasn't AS terrible as 2014 was -- for one i could actually tell what the **** was going on in the fight scenes -- but it was still very blegh
retr0pia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:00 AM   #8
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So let me get this straight:

1. There's a Rise of the TMNT movie headed to netflix which will act as the series finale for the show? Ok that's fine.

2. There's a new CG movie in development which is an all-new universe and no connections to any previous series.

3. There's also a new live-action movie in development, seemingly being worked on by the same people from Platinum Dunes who made the previous two movies, but this is a reboot and no connection to the horrendous nostril hulk-like Turtle abominations we had, right?

So there's 3 new movies coming? And why is there both a CG movie and seemingly another live-action movie? This doesn't make sense.
The live action movie is cancelled and the CGI animated movie replaced it. So it's just the 2 movies now, this one and Netflix movie.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:30 AM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

As far as we know:
  • The new PD movie might still be in development but it's not unlikely it has been canned. If years go by and we hear nothing, it totally was.
  • The Rogen movie is the latest one announced and it was this year, so it is certainly still on the plate.
  • The Rise has already been made, we have seen an obscured screenshot. It's really just a matter or releasing it.

So that are two movies in development, one animated and one live-action (presumably live-action). The live-action might not happen because the animated movie could have replaced it but we aren't sure. There is no reason to think the animated movie is going to be scrapped anytime soon, but due to the nature of these things, it could end up canned. There is one other animated movie coming out, it already exists and the only reason it wouldn't is if it got caught in some crazy New Mutants-like limbo.

This isn't hard to wrap your head around. It's not like Sony planning to make a billion Spider-Man spin-offs to screw with Disney, CBS-Viacom owns TMNT in it's entirety and they have no reason to make more than what's necessary.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'd rather have bay turtles 3 than any of the three movies mentioned in this thread.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'd rather have bay turtles 3 than any of the three movies mentioned in this thread.
You hate the Turtles that much, huh?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:06 AM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Aside from the Rise movie (which we can assume is going to follow the continuity and style of the show), we don't really know anything about what they'll be like. So why show more interest in a continuation of (what most of us here) consider terrible movies, rather than a mystery box? Yeah, the mystery box could contain something nasty, but if the sure prize is a dog turd salad...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:52 AM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't want to name names, but some people have clearly illustrated over the years that if it weren't for Bad Opinions, they simply wouldn't have any.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
You hate the Turtles that much, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Aside from the Rise movie (which we can assume is going to follow the continuity and style of the show), we don't really know anything about what they'll be like. So why show more interest in a continuation of (what most of us here) consider terrible movies, rather than a mystery box? Yeah, the mystery box could contain something nasty, but if the sure prize is a dog turd salad...
Well lets see..

1) Rise movie? Haven't watched much of Rise, might be great might not but a movie about it just doesn't excite me, nor does it excite most people.

2) New PD movie? New reboot with the same people that made the original? I have no faith in any project like that. Remember we dodged a bullet of White Coronel Shrader and Alien Turtles, even if they make it a sequel to the 1990 movie that production team will mess it up. I'd rather get nothing.

3) New CG movie? Could be comedy oriented? no thanks, what was the last good action CG movie for kids that you saw? I can't name any. Counting TMNT 2007 CG was a failure, I think they would keep it super safe for a new Ninja Turtles CG movie.

So yeah, don't mind me if I'd rather have option 4:
4)BayTurtles 3? Sure the previous movies are lackluster but they got some things right, and at the very least they already set up a universe where there can be tons of mutants. For a third movie they can go crazy stupid and have all the FW mutants running around in a nonsensical plot. Stupid? Sure but it's the Bayturtles timeline so who cares, at least it could be fun.

Sure we all want an amazing TMNT movie but i don't have any fate in any of those 3 projects. Maybe Bayturtles 3 isn't such a bad idea until we can get a project that can get fans excited.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #15
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:

3) New CG movie? Could be comedy oriented? no thanks, what was the last good action CG movie for kids that you saw? I can't name any.
Just because you can’t name any doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

- Frozen
- Zootopia
- The Incredibles
- Tangled
- Shrek 2
- Scoob!
- Lego Batman the Movie
- Detective Pikachu
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Toy Story 4
- Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
- Moana
- Big Hero 6

Several of them are Oscar winning films too.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Just because you can’t name any doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

- Frozen
- Zootopia
- The Incredibles
- Tangled
- Shrek 2
- Scoob!
- Lego Batman the Movie
- Detective Pikachu
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Toy Story 4
- Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
- Moana
- Big Hero 6

Several of them are Oscar winning films too.
I think your post further proves my point on why I don't want a CG TMNT movie today. Those might be fine movies but they aren't what I would want an action/comedy TMNT movie to be like, it's exactly what I wouldn't want it to be. Detective Pikachu/Sonic are not even CG, they're live action. Spider-Man into the Spiderverse might be the only good choice you have there (unsure haven't seen the movie) but definitely not the rest.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #17
Shinigami
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I assumed the PD movie was ditched, to be honest even before the CGI movie was announced (which a lot are assuming is in it's place), too quiet for too long. It's all quiet actually.
Yeah. A little too Raph.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #18
Rise1184
Hench Mutant

I just want something ????*??

"He's wrong.. We're NOT wearing costumes."
Rise1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #19
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

there is no live action movie currently in development.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #20
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I think a 3rd live action movie was put on hold so that they do the CGI movie instead. Who knows how it will turn out since Seth Rogen is producing it. But its better then Michael Bay producing it right? Its better if someone who at least knows TMNT more then someone who doesn't.

We will have to give Seth Rogen the benefit of the doubt. Given his track record. He's known for doing Teen comedies and I do recall he wanted to emphasize the teenage aspect of TMNT a lot more.