The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #8761
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Devout religious people piss me off. In this case, my niece, the only family member I really talk to. And we don't very often, because again, she's a devout religious person and frankly I don't have much patience for that.

Going through a hard time right now, peronally. She's had it "kind of" tough, but she's only 22, and she's never really had it TOO bad in life. Like she "found God" after her father died when she was young, I guess she just wants to see him again someday, I don't know. He terrorized them when he was alive, beating up her Mom and sh*t like that so the very fact that she worships him in death and thinks he was a good person when he absolutely was not shows that she's got some delusion issues. But she keeps trying to "cheer me up" by talking to me about "God" which is the absolute WORST thing anyone can do to try and put me in a good mood.

Like I TRY to be open-minded, but sometimes I just have to laugh. Or worse. And I TRY not to get nasty with people who mean well but when they're so completely tone-deaf it makes me wanna snap. Like they go on and ON about how "all suffering in this life is just what you go through to be happy in the next," and it's like, "So your God WANTS bad things to happen, or otherwise does nothing to stop them... and for THAT, we should be grateful? Nah, I don't think so."

She tried to feed me some story about a blind Apostle and how God was just "testing his faith" or whatever. She's like "That's good enough for me." So I couldn't help it, I got pissed. And I'm like "Little kids get raped and murdered, and your 'God' lets it happen, which means IF God is real then he's a monster, and THAT'S good enough for ME."

She was like "Until you understand then we can't have this conversation" and stopped talking to me after that. It's whatever. Frankly, a big reason why I DON'T have more family I can talk to is because SO many of them swallow that sh*t. Especially the rich ones who are so goddamn sure that the reason their lives are perfect is because they go to church and pray and hate all the people the Bible tells them to. My niece isn't one of those types, but in either case, the delusion is STRONG.

It's like, when I'm having a hard time, DON'T f*cking come to me and tell me flat-out that "This is what God wants and it's for a reason."

Frankly, the ONLY reason I'd ever want to meet "God" would be to get my hands around his neck. Guess it's a good thing that if he IS real, I'm absolutely not headed his way when I die, anyway. Oh well. Good for f*cking both of us.

I love my niece and want her to be okay but people with such blind devotion have a way of taking a hard fall, when something bad DOES happen finally and they're forced to admit that their imaginary friend either isn't real or doesn't give a f*ck about them. I worry what's going to happen when she hits that point. But that's up to her, ultimately.

Sigh.
I can understand that. Only partly related but it always makes me sort of sick when people who are practically worshiped or won the lottery in life go on about strongly they believe in fate in destiny. I mean, of course it's easy to believe that when everything in your life has turned to lemonade.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #8762
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I'm Catholic but I don't shove my beliefs down people's throat. Wish everyone believed in my God but it's cool if you don't. See, we're not so bad we can be hip and cool like you atheist heathens.

Yes they deserve to die and I hope they burn in Hell...

*please someone get that movie refrence or else this'll get awkward ASF*
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #8763
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Hmph.

Well you Catholics do tend to be the more laid back sort and not usually preachy, so that's a plus.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #8764
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Yeah, Christians want to save you and all that

Catholics are like Drago in Rocky.

If you die and go to Hell you die and go to Hell.

Lol
Old 11-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #8765
Leo656
The Franchise

Thanks for the support, everyone. Doing better today.

Frankly, I'm far more Agnostic than Atheist. Raised Catholic, but as Aqua said, I've always found it shady that the MOST devout people in my family are the ones who've had nothing but good fortune, and as you said, it's easy to believe that "God" favors you when nothing bad has ever really happened, when you've always had money and good fortune and stuff like that.

They've always tried to guilt trip me hard, especially when I was down. "Of COURSE you're poor/unhappy/misc., you don't even go to church! You can't expect anything good to happen unless you give glory to God! It's your fault your life is like this!" I've never believed that. As I've said elsewhere, my earliest memory in life is my Mom getting drunk and beating on me at around two years old. Kinda don't think I was old enough to even understand the concept of "prayer". So I'm pretty sure that wasn't my fault. But it happened anyway, and to one degree or another it never stopped. Like, the participants change, but in 38 years not a single year has passed where someone close to me wasn't punching me in the face and calling me worthless, telling me I should be dead, whatever. It's literally never stopped, only paused. You start to wonder if that's all you were born for.

Like, did "God" want to see a two-year-old kid get beat on? In theory, he could have done anything from filled my mother's heart with love and not scorn, to giving her a stroke mid-beating so she couldn't even lift a hand. All-powerful, right? But no, "God" just stood by and watched a helpless infant get beat on. And then continued to do nothing for several more decades. There's other things wrong, but seriously, the more you think about things, the more holes there are in the explanation. I can only think that either God doesn't exist, OR he's kind of an asshole, in which case I'd rather not kiss his butt too hard.

That said, I'm open to the possibility of anything. Part of me really hopes there's a God just so there's a point to it all. But if there is, I would very much like an explanation at some point, if not a full-blown apology complete with reparations. I'm sure many others would as well. Like, the fact that little kids get raped and murdered and people still believe in God just blows my mind. Those things wouldn't happen if *I* were in charge of the universe, "free will" or not. If I were an all-powerful deity who was supposedly all loving and compassionate and sh*t, I'd be a LOT more hands-on. So again, even if there IS a God, I have several complaints I'd like to raise with "Management" because He's not doing a very good job in my humble opinion. He's more of an absentee landlord than anything.

I don't know. Frankly, I've talked to a lot of pastors and such over the years who've been incredibly helpful. For one thing, they're quite clear that my family's interpretation of how things work is completely full of sh*t. The whole "You can only be happy and successful if you pray daily and go to church and all that" stuff; the "professionals", to their credit, are like "Yeah, no, that's really messed up that people even think like that." So I guess it's less "religious people" trying to talk to me that I have a problem with, and more "People who THINK they understand what it all means and do a very bad job of transcribing the material." Actual priests and pastors I don't have much of a problem with because on the whole they're a lot less smug and actually make f*cking sense sometimes. People in my family, though... they're very much just talking nonsense. Even when they mean well, they're awful at it.

I can't say the Catholics in my family are "laid back", though, they very much tell you you're a bad person if you never made Communion or went to Confession or anything like that. They're seriously judgmental and harsh. "If you don't go to church, it's your own fault your life sucks" and they have no empathy for anyone. A few times when I was homeless I'd ask one or two of them if I could stay with them for a while in their giant house full of extra rooms they don't use. "I can't get involved, God wants you to go through this, obviously, or it wouldn't be happening. This is what happens when you don't have faith, I can't enable you in that. You need to get right with God or I can't help you." See why I can't get along with these people? They'd rather see their own kin sleep on a sidewalk than let them have a bed, because "You don't go to church and therefore you deserve a sh*t life."

It's all personal mileage, I guess, but the Catholics I know are way worse than the Christians. But then the ones in my family tend to be very literal with their interpretation; the "Seven Days" of creation was literally seven days, all of that. Some of them even believe the whole "God 'marked' the Black people so we'd all be able to tell the children of God from the Devil's Spawn" stuff. Yikes. Although I think that's more of a Mormon thing than a Catholic thing and they just co-opted it because it makes racism easier. But again... they're rich, so... you ain't gonna convince them that anything they say is wrong. After all, "God" rewarded them for their beliefs by giving them literally everything they wanted in life! You can't convince anyone in that position that they're wrong. They'll just wave their Mercedes and their 7-figure bank account in your face and tell you to read the Bible.

Anyways, I'unno. Thanks for the moral support. Like I said, I guess it's less the concept of religious people that rankles me, and more tone-deaf assholes using the Bible to try and guilt me into being happy over things I'm absolutely right to be upset about.

My niece definitely means well, but like I said, I think in her case her "faith" is more about wanting to see her dead, wife-beating Daddy again one day than anything. And I find that disingenuous and frankly a little bit dangerous. I just can't get over how she's completely blocked out the entire first half of her life, with him constantly drunk and beating her Mom and them being broke and homeless on account of him, and everything. I guess all some people have to do is die and they ascend to Sainthood. I never even heard her talk about "God" until after he died, and nowadays that's like all she ever posts on FB, or anything. Really worried she's setting herself up for a fall.

Whatever gets a person through the days, I guess.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #8766
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yeah, sounds like she's in complete denial. Mine's not dead (yet- one can only wait) but I have been fully aware of what a scummy creep he is since I was 8. In fact, he's one of the main reasons I turned away from the Church. For exactly the reasons you mentioned. I despise super-relgious "apologists" who claim that it's "God's will/plan", like, no, that's just a human being who is a sh***y person, who has simply managed to get away with some f**ked up stuff. And if "God" DID exist, he's clearly asleep at the wheel or just doesn't give two s**ts.

That said, I DO get where those people who try to give Him credit for the good things in their lives are coming from. I have had more good things happen in mine when I actually do actively practice my own faith regularly. But I think it has more to do with the universal rule of like attracting like, aka you reap what you sow spiritually. Can't count how many times I've called for karma to balance some a$$hat's accounts, and later been vindicated when it did. But that's just me.... >

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #8767
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I think it depends on the people and not necessarily faith. I know overbearing Christians and laid back ones same with Catholics or any other religion. It's the people that make the faith work. I have many friends who are athiest, agnostic, Christian, Catholics, Muslim etc, etc, and they are like any other sane person that respects your faith or lack of one. So people make faith work.

Y'all need Jesus.... (LOL)
Or
Not

It's up to you *shrug*
Old 11-12-2020, 09:50 PM   #8768
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Ronin View Post
I think it depends on the people and not necessarily faith. I know overbearing Christians and laid back ones same with Catholics or any other religion. It's the people that make the faith work. I have many friends who are athiest, agnostic, Christian, Catholics, Muslim etc, etc, and they are like any other sane person that respects your faith or lack of one. So people make faith work.

Y'all need Jesus.... (LOL)
Or
Not

It's up to you *shrug*

In my case, Not. Lol. (But I do sometimes need a bit of help from Mama Gaia....)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #8769
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Just talked with FBI , ive a feeling major scammer in L.A is gonna be busted now

" the ONLY reason I'd ever want to meet "God" would be to get my hands around his neck. Guess it's a good thing that if he IS real, I'm absolutely not headed his way when I die, anyway. Oh well. Good for f*cking both of us"

Beavis : Kick his ass Leo , kick him in the nads , heh heh heh.....he should get the chair , heh heh heh

Last edited by Hamato Yoshi; 11-12-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:12 PM   #8770
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

There are two things that have been grinding my gears for a while now: truth, and burnout.

Now, "truth" I don't want to discuss at this time. Mostly because of my hiatus, and I do not feel comfortable yet to formally share. Soon enough, I'll come to it.

Burnout.... this is from a multitude of areas. Covid-19 definitely played a part, but not really. However, overworking and struggling to get on paper.... yeah, that's why.

I mentioned a couple of years back I worked in fast food; I since left it two months ago. In April (week after my birthday), I began working retail at a pharmacy. As of now, it's the only job I maintain; during the pandemic height, I was working both though.

Crap was toxic for several reasons: I worked between both jobs a total of 50 to 75 hours a week. I know others work more, but the pharmacy is nearly an hour walk there and back from my place then. So, it was an extra two hours for three to six days unless dad assisted me (still working on a license). Add an extra two hours on fast food to maximize my time there (40), and it's likely almost 80 altogether. If I worked both the same day, it'd be even worse. Barely any rest, continuously looking crappy, terrible diet, I looked like a wreck.

Since leaving fast food in late August, it's been adjustable. The transfer to the pharmacy's closest store here is only a five minute walk. Much more manageable, but annoying with all the call-ins. The struggle of college.

My issue from the work, and subsequently the burnout, is just being unable to grieve or let myself loose. It had a negative impact on my health, obviously. Now, I'm at a physical change and entering a better form. Mental-wise, however, I got ways to go.

What annoys me on the creative front though is I can still write well. You've all seen with my older, likely date critiques. Even then, I still got the ability with tribute posts or if it's a passion. I just need intense stress or emotion to do it outside passion.

Otherwise, it feels like I'm in limbo. Every. Single. Time. It's irritating when I have ideas, but don't know how to word them. Whether a journal, a story, etc. It continually bites my ass.

Considering my current classes, I'll likely be able to beat the burnout easily. Mental health I been working on by talking to IRLs, a few here, and now a counselor. Just need a therapist/permanent doctor, and keep up with weight training. I might be entering a potential physical peak, but my mind remains a low.

Guess we'll just have to see. Semester is ending soon, and holidays are approaching. I'm feeling cautious, but optimistic on where things are going.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #8771
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Some months ago a nearby house, two over behind us, had an attempted arson by the son (grandson?) in-law of the couple. Luckily it got put out (and the guy caught) and only needed new siding.

SO. Fast forward to now, they've been getting new siding. AND the guys doing the siding work and supposedly had just finished it (and were still there) SET THE HOUSE ON FIRE. They were trying to put it out with a garden hose and, according to my brother-in-law who had seen the smoke and bolted over there, were not even spraying the right area... Meanwhile a bunch of fire trucks end up on the scene and they had to cut a hole in the house.

And how did they set it on fire? With cigarettes they'd dropped to the ground. CUTE.

Those poor people who live there. Bad enough what happened the first time, but here they were trying to repair the cosmetic damage only to have these guys make it worse.

11/23 -- Wish this one weird guy would get the hint and leave me alone. I don't want to be mean or anything since I think he's autistic or has something obviously going on with him, but of course I guess he shops at the Walmart and Dollar Tree I do for my job and he seems to be convinced that I'm supposed to want to stop and talk to him as if he isn't a total stranger and I'm trying to work and have limited time to get my job done.

Luckily, it's not very often that he manages to show up while I'm there, but it's getting old and he's clearly got a thing for me and won't take the hint. Not interested, makes me uncomfortable every time I run across him, and good god, dude, I'm probably WAY too old for you anyhow. I get that his social skills probably are really bad, but even still after the last time he commanded me to "Talk!," which was rather strange and rude no matter who you are, he went off in a huff when I told him I can't, I'm working. That time started making me think like...if I disappear, he probably did it...

I just don't know how to get him to bugger off and stop doing this and stop expecting me to act like I know him. At least if I ever really need to, if it gets to a point where he won't go away, I know some of the people in that Dollar Tree enough that I could probably tell them I'm having an issue...

I don't want to be mean or anything since he's clearly got issues, but still. But he's just one of those people who has to go and weird out your day and wish it would stop.

Bonus grind... The "6 Underground" ad annoys me. For a film maker like Bay who claims to be so "legendary" you can't even tell that it's for a movie or what the heck it is. (Abu Dhabi, buildings, cars -- of course, wake me when he does something else -- helicopter, camels... What is all this?) It just looks like Bay's cinematic equivalent of fondling himself. lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-23-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #8772
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
It just looks like Bay's cinematic equivalent of fondling himself. lol
Oh God, Indigo said todays magic word.

Say it with me guys

Fondling.

YAAAAAAAY!!!!!
Old 11-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #8773
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I was viewing the "Tokyo Idols" documentary.

Witnessing the exploitation of women and girls made my blood boil.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #8774
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Too much food

Just too much, it'll take me a week to eat all the leftovers.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:04 PM   #8775
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Three classic holiday specials all on at the same time on three different channels. Dammit, who does that. Goodness knows it's probably also the one and only time they'll even be on, this early in the season and why most years I never manage to catch them on anymore. A sad shame.

Add in the fact that we may never see the Charlie Brown specials on tv again because darn Apple has it.

As my sister would say as a young kid... it's all ruined!

edit: Though I'm curious if the new Minions "holiday" special had anything holiday at all. Maybe a first short they showed was? But the couple times I looked at it there was nothing holiday about it. If there was in the beginning of it, then it must have been short, because it had only been on 8 min when I first flipped to that channel and it was on commercial already...

12/1 -- Little sad to find that the one TMNT card I've continued to stock at one of my stores has finally been replaced with a new card in that pocket. RIP last remaining whisper of the 2012 series.

Will always been annoyed that someone stole one of the stickers out of it one time, and of course it was the Leo sticker. If you're going to ruin a card's ability to sell and make me have to credit it out, at least save me the Leo sticker, eesh.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-01-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #8776
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth
12/1 -- Little sad to find that the one TMNT card I've continued to stock at one of my stores has finally been replaced with a new card in that pocket. RIP last remaining whisper of the 2012 series.
Oh, that's a bummer. It's always a bit rough to see the past fade away like that.

*sigh*

Ok, buckle up, cause this is going to be a weird one.

My uncle has recently retired and wants to move to The Villages down in Florida. He's put his house up for sale, but there's no takers.

Turns out, my uncle lives next to the neighbors from hell. It's specifically this one guy in the house. I don't know these guys too well, but my uncle says it's a weird family dynamic. Apparently, it's an old man and his wife and they let their daughter and son-in-law move in with them. Word is, the son-in-law is a real piece of work. Doesn't have a job. Constant domestic issues with the cops coming out. It's nuts.

Anyway, why it grinds my gears is that his behavior is lowering the property values. My uncle called us up to help pack some things pre-emptively, but every time a prospective buyer shows up they're scared away by the clown next door.

Some people, man.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #8777
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

That sucks, and sad to say it doesn't sound weird to me at all as we can relate with people who live catty-corner across the road from us and undoubtedly impact the houses right here similarly. Best of luck in getting his house sold. Like the one next to us that recently sold, hope the idiots will be quiet long enough for some poor clueless person to decided to buy it.

Kind of sad to see an old tree in a neighborhood I cut through has finally been taken down. Poor old thing had been declining for years, but noticed it looked like it finally gave up over the summer. Maybe it was smart... saw a bit of 2020 and called it quits.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #8778
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

So my brother went up to help my uncle move some stuff around. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the neighbors are going to tone it down any time soon.

My brother actually ended up talking to the son-in-law. The guy's name is Leonard, but he goes by "Leo" for short.

Apparently, Leo has all the intelligence and class one would expect from a guy who is regularly caught up in domestic abuse situations. Turns out, he doesn't have a job and refuses to get one. Leo and his wife had been crashing at her father's place for a while. He told my brother that the places hiring would ask him to cut his "mane", which was this grody mess that he's super proud of.

When my brother asked if they'd help us out when perspective buyers came over, Leonard said he'd keep the old man "in line". I'm afraid to ask what that means.

Anyway, wish us luck. There's going to be an open house this weekend. Hopefully nothing too ridiculous happens.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #8779
Leo656
The Franchise

A buddy from wrestling is unloading his entire 50+-figure "Masters of the Universe Classics" collection, including some super-rare ones. But he won't break the lot, which I understand. Asking for three grand. Which is at least $1500 less than his set is worth, so it's a reasonable asking price. But god DAMN it, where was he with this in July when I could have jumped on it?!

At the EXACT same time, my flea market pals got a HUGE collection of rare WWF LJN action figures in. Like, EVERY rare character- Warrior, Haku, Rick Rude, Bigelow, Singlet Andre, White Shirt Hogan, and more - and I'm pretty well tapped after Christmas shopping.

I could have cleaned up on both of these sets back in Summer. Dammit.

Although the flea market pals are offering me first dibs on the stuff in the LJN set, so I should be able to get at least SOMEthing. But oh man, if this isn't fate mocking me then I don't know what it is.

Oh, I also wrenched my back this morning taking out an air conditioner and it hurts really bad. But this action figure sh*t hurts WAY worse if I'm being totally honest.

If I can get a Warrior and a White Shirt Hogan without going broke - HUGE "if" - it'll all be okay.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #8780
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Monday being Monday.

1. A box of my Christmas product for the initial setup that should have gone up weeks ago and had me confused because I hunted a few times and for the life of me could not find this third box. It had been scanned in by my supervisor when she set up the end cap a week early for me, so it should have been there, but I had no clue if she'd only opened one box or two and my setup was messed up because I just seemed to be missing most of the regular "anyone" cards.

So today this box magically reappears. What the hell. God knows where this darn store had been hiding it all this time. I'm glad it showed up now with still a few weeks to sell, but it's not like I was given enough time today to actually handle it, so had to send an email to explain being way over my time... Grr.

2. It's bad enough when people have zero consideration and mess up my cards when I'm right there working to try to fix that up and stock it, but today this sketchy acting teen just straight up steals one in front of me. That's a first. Had a bag, just stuffed it right in and walked out. Oh yeah, there's a way of showing you care... "Happy Birthday, I stole you a card from Dollar Tree!" People are clearly stealing from my stock all the time and darn sick of it. Next time someone clocks you in the teeth...karma, kid.