The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #41
Ninjinister
無問題

$40 really isn't bad for 6 figures though.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #42
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
$40 really isn't bad for 6 figures though.
6 figures AND an awesome box!
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #43
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
Worth re-stating. Obv everyone is entitled to do whatever they want with their money, but I think we should try to organize and not support this ******** anymore. Fight the collector urge.

But I cant! I have a pokemon level addiction of collecting all TMNT releases. Even these crappy ones.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #44
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
But I cant! I have a pokemon level addiction of collecting all TMNT releases. Even these crappy ones.
haha, i hear you! well, i hope it brings you some degree of happiness!
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

That's the thing, dollar-for-dollar it ain't THAT bad, but... for goodness' sake, they're hardly even TRYING. They worked harder on the packaging than the figures!

I've said many times before that the original Playmates Shredder is probably the single worst officially-licensed action figure I've ever seen... but THIS one just might take that title, thanks to the horrible treatment of the "belt". Sweet sassy-molassy, that's not just half-assed, that's about a quarter-ass job at best.

But I mean, if anybody does get 'em I can't fault them TOO badly. I admit I thought about it. I can just do so many better things with that $40.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #46
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
That's the thing, dollar-for-dollar it ain't THAT bad, but... for goodness' sake, they're hardly even TRYING. They worked harder on the packaging than the figures!

I've said many times before that the original Playmates Shredder is probably the single worst officially-licensed action figure I've ever seen... but THIS one just might take that title, thanks to the horrible treatment of the "belt". Sweet sassy-molassy, that's not just half-assed, that's about a quarter-ass job at best.

But I mean, if anybody does get 'em I can't fault them TOO badly. I admit I thought about it. I can just do so many better things with that $40.

I am more of a fan of the packaging than anything else. Those cards are amazing. I figure the box on the shelf, with the 4 turts over the top. The other 2 are a joke

Old 10-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #47
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I can definitely see a LOT of people buying these for the packaging, and maybe even swapping out the figures for better ones or even some halfway decent customs, just for display purposes.

That packaging is really spiffy, no denying. They deserve much better figures!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #48
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Really makes you wonder if they are interested in staying in business at this point or what exactly their strategy is here?
Perhaps just waiting for Nickelodeon to reveal the next big thing? In the meantime, tossing these out hoping that the re-deco might bring them something for the holiday season? I don't know...

If I'm Playmates, instead of re-issuing figures that no one was interested in, why not re-visit some of the figures collectors/fans actually treasure? Such as the Movie Star Turtles or the Toon turtles? Or even some non-turtles characters like Muckman or Mondo Gecko that Super7 and NECA are cashing in on right now.

I know they re-released a few back a few years ago at Toys R Us, but the ones they chose were odd choices at best. "Oh Look! Pro Pilot Don!"

I know some of the molds were lost in a fire or something, but they can't all of been lost...
Old 10-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #49
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Perhaps just waiting for Nickelodeon to reveal the next big thing? In the meantime, tossing these out hoping that the re-deco might bring them something for the holiday season? I don't know...

If I'm Playmates, instead of re-issuing figures that no one was interested in, why not re-visit some of the figures collectors/fans actually treasure? Such as the Movie Star Turtles or the Toon turtles? Or even some non-turtles characters like Muckman or Mondo Gecko that Super7 and NECA are cashing in on right now.

I know they re-released a few back a few years ago at Toys R Us, but the ones they chose were odd choices at best. "Oh Look! Pro Pilot Don!"

I know some of the molds were lost in a fire or something, but they can't all of been lost...

This guys is on to something. Re-issue classic and hard to find characters like Scratch or hotshot, on ALMOST classic looking cards. Like add the Nick logo or some crap to differentiate it, but call it a collector collection of the classic figs, with the old school cards, and then make them 25ea and limited runs....then BAM playmates actually doing something.

Panda Khan!
Mondo Gecko
Punk Frogs...
The entire 10 back set...

The elephant guy, slash and metalheads, and samurai Leo, and the monster turtles, cmon Playmates! Play to your strengths!

They just need to get the cards right, and I am pretty sure we would bite for at least 5000 units each. Maybe setup their own website hasbro pulse style and sell direct....CMON now...this isnt a new thing. Make them limited editions and we would swoon.

Get Peter and Kevin to offer rare chase signature ones or some crap. Go McFarlane style for rares....variant the **** out of those old moulds.

Last edited by Coro; 10-26-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #50
mikey0
Foot Elite

I think the good days of Playmates are behind us. Playmates could, at least, re-release Slash like they did for the 25th Anniversary set.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #51
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
This guys is on to something. Re-issue classic and hard to find characters like Scratch or hotshot, on ALMOST classic looking cards. Like add the Nick logo or some crap to differentiate it, but call it a collector collection of the classic figs, with the old school cards, and then make them 25ea and limited runs....then BAM playmates actually doing something.

Panda Khan!
Mondo Gecko
Punk Frogs...

The elephant guy, slash and metalheads, and samurai Leo, and the monster turtles, cmon Playmates! Play to your strengths!

They just need to get the cards right, and I am pretty sure we would bite for at least 5000 units each. Maybe setup their own website hasbro pulse style and sell direct....CMON now...this isnt a new thing. Make them limited editions and we would swoon.

Get Peter and Kevin to offer rare chase signature ones or some crap. Go McFarlane style for rares....variant the **** out of those old moulds.

there are so many good ideas in this post. it's a shame playmates will never see it...they CLEARLY never come here.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #52
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Are these only going to be available all bundled together like this? I missed out on Donatello and Raphael the first time they released them, so it'd be great if I could buy just those to go with the Leonardo and Michelangelo that I already own.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #53
strawberryfields
Hench Mutant

Damn. Sold out, and not available anywhere. I would have bought that set in a second. Those repaints are awesome
strawberryfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #54
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

Another example of Playmates being "Lazy", "Stupid", "Don't know what they're doing"... Meanwhile this set sells out and they make a ton of money.

This is a cool set, and at under $7 per fig, this was a quick buy for me. Neat set. And if it's anything like Playmates previous sets the past few years, likely to triple in value in months.

Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #55
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfields View Post
Damn. Sold out, and not available anywhere. I would have bought that set in a second. Those repaints are awesome
hopefully more come in

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #56
mikey0
Foot Elite

These are growing on me. I like that Playmates repainted the basic Splinter and Shredder from the original toyline in Mirage Comics colors.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #57
strawberryfields
Hench Mutant

snagged one last night. says it'll be delivered Dec 9th. They only had 3 in stock...
Old 11-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #58
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton Gimmick View Post
Another example of Playmates being "Lazy", "Stupid", "Don't know what they're doing"... Meanwhile this set sells out and they make a ton of money.
And if it's anything like Playmates previous sets the past few years, likely to triple in value in months.
This is depressing to read.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #59
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Panda Khan!
Mondo Gecko
Punk Frogs...

i think the problem is trying to find the 30 year old molds that weren't lost or destroyed.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #60
strawberryfields
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
This is depressing to read.
I think part of it is that they're producing these in really small numbers. Not a huge demand for playmates stuff these days