The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What should the classic cartoon be called?
FW (Fred Wolf) 4 13.79%
88 ( 1988 ) 2 6.90%
87 (1987) 13 44.83%
OT (original/old toon) 7 24.14%
Other 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I tend to call it the '87 series. To a lesser extent sometimes use OT or FW.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #22
Musashi
Foot Soldier

I think that anything where the meaning is clear and it's not too unwieldy is fine. I personally call it That Thing From Years Ago with the Green Guys and the Fighting and the Thing That Goes Underground, You know What I Mean, That Thing...
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #23
srmff
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
It’s not the same.

Would you group Rise Of The TMNT with the 2012 series since they were both on Nickelodeon?

Back to the Sewer and Fast Forward were not part of the 2003 series.
Rise has completely different animation, personalities and plot to the 2012 series. That is no comparison for the 80s series.

Despite what people might wish or want to believe, Back to the Sewers and Fast Forward are part of the 2003 series.

Quote:
No one in the late 80s and 90s referred to the miniseries, weekday series, and CBS SATAM cartoon as the ‘87 series. Even F.H.E. released the 5 part miniseries before the regular weekday series episodes and Lion’s Gate referred to the miniseries as “the Turtles’ greatest adventures”. A user on the website BoneTheFish said everything went downhill after the 5 part miniseries. You must admit that the tone of the miniseries was different from both the ‘88 series and ‘90 series.
Of course they didn't call it the '87 series back in the 80s and 90s. It was the only turtles cartoon at the time. They just called it Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

A name is not going to be agreed on for the original show. People generally know what show is being referred to if they say FW, OT, '87, etc (at least in these forums). FW and OT weren't clear to me straight away what they stood for when I saw them at first but knew the show being referred to given the context.
srmff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #24
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmff View Post
Rise has completely different animation, personalities and plot to the 2012 series. That is no comparison for the 80s series.

Despite what people might wish or want to believe, Back to the Sewers and Fast Forward are part of the 2003 series.
Which 80s series? There was the ‘87 mini-series and ‘88 series.

Quote:
Of course they didn't call it the '87 series back in the 80s and 90s. It was the only turtles cartoon at the time. They just called it Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

A name is not going to be agreed on for the original show. People generally know what show is being referred to if they say FW, OT, '87, etc (at least in these forums). FW and OT weren't clear to me straight away what they stood for when I saw them at first but knew the show being referred to given the context.
I think casual viewers are going to lump the mini-series with the weekday series and Saturday morning cartoon. Dedicated viewers know the difference. VH1 and BBC even had the TMNT in their I Love 1988 specials. The mini-series ends with The Shredder is Splintered. There is not an ‘87 series.

The mini-series, first and second season of the regular syndicated series, and CBS Saturday morning cartoon is referred to as the classic cartoon. Of course, the regular syndicated series aired more than the mini-series and a whole generation was raised on the CBS cartoon.

Instead of naming all of the shows with Super Friends in the title, most people just call it “Super Friends”. It’s easier that way. Same thing with the Fred Wolf TMNT shows.

Last edited by mikey0; 12-01-2020 at 06:01 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

The original mini-series and the subsequent syndicated series had:

- The same theme song
- The same intro sequence
- The same voice cast
- The same art style and animation
- The same cast of characters
- The same direct line of storyline continuity

The syndicated series and the Saturday Morning series shared everything except the specific intro animation.

By the "Red Sky" Seasons, they changed the intro and SOME of the voice cast but things were mostly the same.

It's ONE show that underwent a few creative changes near the end after being on the air for a long time. That's literally it. You're more or less saying that because there was a few months between the inaugural mini-series and the syndicated show's debut, that makes it two "separate" shows. Despite absolutely everything about them being exactly the same.

I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. It's ONE show that ran for a long time with a few small breaks and a few tiny artistic changes. It's NOT two or even three shows. It's one show.

There's "pedantic" and then there's flat-out wrong.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:34 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Any TV show in existence usually goes through changes as it goes on especially ones that last multiple seasons. Trying to split up the original cartoon is the most absurd thing I've ever seen.

Do you guys not watch any other TV shows outside of TMNT? This is baffling.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Do you guys not watch any other TV shows outside of TMNT? This is baffling.
Given the type of people who hang out here? It's a distinct possibility.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #28
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
It’s not the same.

Would you group Rise Of The TMNT with the 2012 series since they were both on Nickelodeon?

Back to the Sewer and Fast Forward were not part of the 2003 series.

There isn’t a 1987 series. 1987 was the year of the miniseries.

The ‘88 series was even listed on the back of the Classic Collection figures.

It’s as follows:

1987 - Miniseries
1988 - Weekday syndicated series
1990 - CBS Saturday morning series

Don't overcomplicate it.

Just TMNT 87/88 or TMNT 80's. The mini series is part of the same thing. So is the CBS and not many people would remember. Just call the final season Red Sky like everyone has for years.

Then 2003 and 2012. Like it or not, Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers still fall under 2003, same continuity.

As for Rise, Rise is Rise, it actually has a different title. No one is gonna confuse Rise for 2012.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #29
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
The original mini-series and the subsequent syndicated series had:

- The same theme song
- The same intro sequence
- The same voice cast
- The same art style and animation
- The same cast of characters
- The same direct line of storyline continuity

The syndicated series and the Saturday Morning series shared everything except the specific intro animation.

By the "Red Sky" Seasons, they changed the intro and SOME of the voice cast but things were mostly the same.

It's ONE show that underwent a few creative changes near the end after being on the air for a long time. That's literally it. You're more or less saying that because there was a few months between the inaugural mini-series and the syndicated show's debut, that makes it two "separate" shows. Despite absolutely everything about them being exactly the same.

I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. It's ONE show that ran for a long time with a few small breaks and a few tiny artistic changes. It's NOT two or even three shows. It's one show.

There's "pedantic" and then there's flat-out wrong.
Why isn’t there any mention of the show starting in 1987 on the back of the 2012 Playmates Classic Collection figures with the 34 points of articulation then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Don't overcomplicate it.

Just TMNT 87/88 or TMNT 80's. The mini series is part of the same thing. So is the CBS and not many people would remember. Just call the final season Red Sky like everyone has for years.

Then 2003 and 2012. Like it or not, Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers still fall under 2003, same continuity.

As for Rise, Rise is Rise, it actually has a different title. No one is gonna confuse Rise for 2012.
I’m not over-complicating it. I’m simply stating facts. It all goes by the same title, but there was a 1988 weekly syndicated series and CBS Saturday morning cartoon.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

This almost feels like borderline trolling at this point.

What does it matter what timeslot a show aired in the 80's or early 90's that most people will never remember or think about?
Old 12-01-2020, 08:25 PM   #31
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
This almost feels like borderline trolling at this point.

What does it matter what timeslot a show aired in the 80's or early 90's that most people will never remember or think about?
It’s not trolling.

The miniseries came first, then the ‘88 series. The ‘88 series blew up in popularity in the ‘89 and ‘90 school year and then CBS aired TMNT on Saturday mornings in the 90s. You could make a case for the CBS show being a continuation to the ‘88 syndicated series, but the miniseries was better written than both of the shows that came afterward.

Last edited by mikey0; 12-01-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

Old 12-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #33
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Everyone looks at it differently.

Some people see it as a series that aired from 1987 to 1996, while others realize there was an ‘87 miniseries, ‘88 series, and ‘90 series.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

Or they understand that it was THE SAME SHOW that occasionally had a different time slot or whatever. There's nothing about it that's different otherwise!

Sometimes Hulk Hogan wore a red shirt, sometimes he wore a yellow one. Is he now a completely different f*cking GUY because there's a 1% difference in the presentation? By your logic, Yes He Is.

It's one show that had a short break in the beginning and a shifting airing schedule afterwards.

This sh*t is bananas.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #35
mikey0
Foot Elite

It’s like the Back To The Future Trilogy when you think about it.

‘87 miniseries: Back To The Future
‘88 regular syndicated series: Back To The Future Part 2
‘90 CBS Saturday morning show: Back To The Future Part 3

The miniseries was the only show we needed. The punk frogs, fly Baxter, Casey Jones, Metalhead, Slash, and etcetera never sold as well as the first wave action figures.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:14 PM   #36
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think the real issue is that you refuse to accept that anything post season 1 is part of the 87 universe.

It's fine to like season 1 better than all the rest, but to be so elitist that you refuse to acknowledge anything after season 1 as being part of the same show (when the creators clearly intended everything post season 1 as canon) is beyond personal preference, and into the territory of ignoring facts.

It's not any different from some people who think that Red Sky is a seperate universe from the first 7 seasons of the 1987 series, or people who think that the Mutant Apocalypse is an alternate timeline that has nothing to do with the 2012 series. In both examples, it's people ignoring the clear intentions of the creators and spinning up their own narrative/headcanons in order to spare themselves the babyrage.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:25 AM   #37
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
It depends on which version of Fred Wolf TMNT you are discussing. The miniseries was the best out of all of them, but most people are thinking of the syndicated series (ran from ‘88 to ‘89) when they bring up the original toon. The ‘88 series ends with The Big Blow Out. The 1990 to 1996 CBS episodes are not part of the ‘88 series either. I’m not sure where people got the idea to combine the miniseries with the syndicated series, CBS SATAM series
Yeah, it's all the same show. There is literally no separation. The first five episodes were syndicated the same as the rest of the series. The CBS episodes aired on CBS and had more consistency, but it's still the same series. And it's still all the same series when it changed to the red sky format.

I don't know why you think people lump Turtles Forever in with it, because no one does.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Considering the guy also thinks Rise is part of the 2012 series just because Nick made both cartoons even though they're completely separate series, I don't understand him at all.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #39
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I think the real issue is that you refuse to accept that anything post season 1 is part of the 87 universe.

It's fine to like season 1 better than all the rest, but to be so elitist that you refuse to acknowledge anything after season 1 as being part of the same show (when the creators clearly intended everything post season 1 as canon) is beyond personal preference, and into the territory of ignoring facts.

It's not any different from some people who think that Red Sky is a seperate universe from the first 7 seasons of the 1987 series, or people who think that the Mutant Apocalypse is an alternate timeline that has nothing to do with the 2012 series. In both examples, it's people ignoring the clear intentions of the creators and spinning up their own narrative/headcanons in order to spare themselves the babyrage.
What ‘87 universe? Only the miniseries aired in ‘87. I think you meant ‘88 or ‘90 universe.

You appear to follow Lion’s Gate’s episode list, but not everyone does.

It’s not the same show to me. I know the title, theme song (minus the Red Sky years), characters, locations, lingo, and plot are the same, but the openings, closings, animation, weapons (in some cases), and new characters are different.

‘87 miniseries = Made to sell the ‘88 figures
‘88 series = Marketing the ‘89 figures
‘90 to ‘96 series = 30 minute advertisement for the ‘90 to ‘94 (or ‘95) figures

I refuse to see it as the same show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Yeah, it's all the same show. There is literally no separation. The first five episodes were syndicated the same as the rest of the series. The CBS episodes aired on CBS and had more consistency, but it's still the same series. And it's still all the same series when it changed to the red sky format.

I don't know why you think people lump Turtles Forever in with it, because no one does.
Technically, they are separate shows. I know that the ‘87 miniseries and ‘88 series were on the same networks and the ‘87 miniseries was shown many times before the ‘88 series in the very late 80s and early to mid 90s, but they are separate shows. The miniseries took itself serious and that’s why it was far better than the ‘88 show and CBS Saturday Morning cartoon.

Quote:
Considering the guy also thinks Rise is part of the 2012 series just because Nick made both cartoons even though they're completely separate series, I don't understand him at all.
You weren’t listening to me. I asked the user if they would group Rise with the 2k12 series because they aired on the same channel. To me, that would be no different from a person saying that the ‘88 show was connected to the ‘87 miniseries because both shows were syndicated. They are separate shows. That’s what I was saying. I know that Rise is a different show from the 2k12 show.

Last edited by mikey0; 12-02-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #40
sdp
Megan Fox = April

General consensus here based on votes is to call it the 87 series, this matches up with Wikipedia and IMDB so let's just go along with that. I believe the old NinjaTurtles.com also had it this way. Can't get more official than that.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote