The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Dan Akyord Critizes Paul Feig blames him for the failure of the Ghostbuster reboot

Ghostbusters was neither a critical nor commercial hit last year, so it was far from surprising when we learned that a sequel isn't on the way. The performance of the movie has also ruined any chances of those planned spinoffs happening too, one of which was reportedly going to feature a male team and another that would have been animated and seemingly aimed at a slightly younger audience.

It's no wonder then that executive producer Dan Akroyd - who was one of those tasked with spearheading a shared Ghostbusters Universe - isn't happy then, something he made clear in a recent interview on UK TV show Sunday Brunch. Asked to share his thoughts on what's next for the franchise, the star and co-writer of the original laid the blame squarely at the feet of reboot director Paul Feig.

"[Ghostbusters] made a lot of money around the world but just cost too much, making it economically not feasible to do another one. So that’s too bad. The director, he spent too much on it. He didn’t shoot scenes we suggested to him and several scenes that were going to be needed and he said, ‘Nah, we don’t need them.’ Then we tested the movie and they needed them and he had to go back. About $30 to $40-million in reshoots. So he will not be back on the Sony lot any time soon."

Ouch! Interestingly, subsequent broadcasts of the show have seen Akroyd's comments edited out, a result perhaps of his representatives requesting that they be removed given how much of a stir they're inevitably going to cause. The damage has been done now, though, and it will be interesting to see what happens next. In fairness to Akroyd, it doesn't sound like he's being too unfair! Thoughts?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/horro...e-soon-a151580
Old 06-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wonder what the reshoots were.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Yeah it could've been better though I still find it mildly entertaining.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
THGhost
Puppet Master

And there I was thinking it was more the writing and the marketing that were to blame. Dayum.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
raph27
Mad Scientist

Yikes. Wasn't Dan one of the most vocal supporters of this back when it came out? Almost makes one wonder if he was paid off. (I had my suspicions about Hudson last year, and now things are just seeming really shady.)
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I wonder what the least amount of money could have been to make it.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Ghostbusters is one of his greatest achievements, of course he's going to shill for it and is only backtracking now because it's what would get him the most support. I don't judge him for it but it's pretty obvious why he would do it.

I half watched this movie while on a plane and it's nothing special but boy is it not the worst pile of crap ever made like people online made it out to be. Poor planning, if it had been a new generation of GBs instead of a reboot I don't think it would've gotten anywhere near the hate that it got in the end.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:19 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Ghostbusters is one of his greatest achievements, of course he's going to shill for it and is only backtracking now because it's what would get him the most support.
What are you talking about? He's been the one guy pushing for GB3 for like 20 years now. He's the only one of those cats that's actually talking straight up now and you want to call him out on it?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:42 AM   #9
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well he's not backtracking. I'm seeing people are trying to twist his words to say he dislikes the movie. As if we can't see the actual video. He's upset Feig wasted money.

I agree connecting it to the originals would have helped. That was my only complaint because it would have been very easy to do.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:13 AM   #10
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
Yikes. Wasn't Dan one of the most vocal supporters of this back when it came out? Almost makes one wonder if he was paid off. (I had my suspicions about Hudson last year, and now things are just seeming really shady.)
Hudson was muzzled. his honest tweet that this was abad idea was replaced almost instantly with a pre written sony agenda one. it was sadly hillarious.

the way this article states, i was expecting dan to come out and apologize for how he acted, and truly blasting feig for being horrible.

this was nothing harsh. although maybe all he might be wiling to admit.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:15 AM   #11
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What are you talking about? He's been the one guy pushing for GB3 for like 20 years now. He's the only one of those cats that's actually talking straight up now and you want to call him out on it?
he's back tracking.

pure and simple.

Dan did a COMPLETE 180 if you read the sony emails and totally shilled for it.
true, it's his baby, but he went too far with it and went into feig territory.

Hudson, and the rest of the cast apart from murray CLEARLY hated the idea. even annie potts.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:57 AM   #12
Wildcat
Foot Elite

It's funny that people like to bring up the leaked emails. Because every time they're re-described totally out of context.

In short Sony did not want to do Ivan Reitman's GB3 idea. They eventually convinced him to step down and wrote that letter for him. In the deal they agreed to create GhostCorps.

Dan Aykroyd never appears to be outright against the movie (or shilling) in any email I've seen. There's one that says he was "tweeked", I assume because it's a reboot and not a sequel, but decided to go along.

Bill Murray was not legally forced to join. There was a rumor that Sony made a loophole that he could only refuse limited times before his rights got voided.

Keep in mind this was like 2 years before the reboot. There was multiple ideas and probably scripts (one did leak). There's a summary available if you google it.

This is the best compilation of GB emails. I read these a couple years ago.
http://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39324
Old 06-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #13
Vegita-San
Emperor

i wouldn't trust anything from GBFans if you paid me.

that's a fan boys paradise of Feigbuster Apologists.
anyone who doesn't agree with that viewpoint gets shut up pretty fast.

rather sad.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
i wouldn't trust anything from GBFans if you paid me.

that's a fan boys paradise of Feigbuster Apologists.
anyone who doesn't agree with that viewpoint gets shut up pretty fast.

rather sad.
Ghostbustersnews.com is just as bad they never post anything that could be seen as negative and there are a lot of feigbuster apologists there too
Old 06-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #15
Vegita-San
Emperor

Proton charging is also hillariously sad.

the dude claims to be open minded, then blasts just about everyone who doesn't like the movie, and then only recinds it when he gets caught trashing a lady who disliked it. the comic book girl trashing post got removed hilariously fast ;o)

sad. i rather enjoyed that site before the dark times.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Aykroyd posted this on his FB four hours ago:

"Paul Feig made a good movie and had a superb cast and plenty of money to do it. We just wish he had been more inclusive to the originators. It cost everyone as it is unlikely Kristen, Leslie, Melissa and Kate will ever reprise their roles as Ghostbusters which is sad."
Old 06-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #17
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Aykroyd posted this on his FB four hours ago:

"Paul Feig made a good movie and had a superb cast and plenty of money to do it. We just wish he had been more inclusive to the originators. It cost everyone as it is unlikely Kristen, Leslie, Melissa and Kate will ever reprise their roles as Ghostbusters which is sad."
In retrospect, they had a good cast and great new weapon designs, along with the money and tech to do things on-screen they would have only dreamed of in the '80s.

All they were really missing was a script...and a legitimately scary villain. They were never going to eclipse the original, but the characters are so bland and unlikable that I can't even see ATC as a guilty pleasure or a cult film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #18
Vegita-San
Emperor

aykroyd is such a cheerleader, they probably brain washed him into thinking this was a good idea. the b rain washing is slowly beginning to wear off, and the pre feig, gb 3 gung ho dan is starting to re emerge.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #19
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

That reaction you have when fiegbusters 2 Probably won't happen

Old 06-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
That reaction you have when fiegbusters 2 Probably won't happen
It's not even a "probably." It's "no chance in Hell," but we knew that already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
In retrospect, they had a good cast and great new weapon designs, along with the money and tech to do things on-screen they would have only dreamed of in the '80s.

All they were really missing was a script...and a legitimately scary villain.
You mean this guy wasn't scary?

Tags
dan akyord, ghostbusters