The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
SS_Turtle
Hench Mutant

TMNT VOL 3 (Image Comics)

I know that the TMNT Image comics drastically changed the Turtles universe / story line. My question is are they even worth trying to find / worth reading?

Pros / cons of the series etc?
SS_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
ToTheNines
[sic]

They're great. The first arc is pretty clunky, and I know the whole thing sounds a bit much, but if you actually read it all yourself you'll find that it fit's in the Mirage Universe quite nicely.

Worth it though? I dunno... they're very rare at this point so you might wanna wait until IDW reprints them.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 05-09-2012 at 05:33 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

It seems like we get a thread about Image every few months. Yes they're worth reading and they're a direct continuation after Volume 1 and 2.

They didn't really "drastically change" the Mirage universe, the Turtles suffer through injuries that they eventually overcome and deals with the aftermath of the Foot fallout after City at War, the continuation of Shadow's storyline and her family being gangsters, and some Triceraton transport to Earth.

The series concludes in #24-25 with Lady Shredder and Pimiko (Shredder's daughter) stories coming to an end with the Foot Clan once again having a truce with the Turtles.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Yes, I would highly recommend them.

The opening story arc with Lord Komodo is pretty bad, but it's only the first 5 issues and things immediately pick up. The only other rotten arc in the series is the Deathwatch nonsense, but again, that's only a few issues and there are other threads going on simultaneously that takes the edge off.

While the various changes to the characters felt rather sudden and excessively "90s", don't be fooled into thinking they were strictly superficial. There is more character development and evolution in Vol. 3 than nearly any Mirage volume.

Mikey and Raph are really the stars of the series, for me, and they both grow and change in very different ways that dig into some obscure or wasted parts of their character. In Raph's case, in particular, he works through his anger issues and finds a positive means of venting them rather than Mirage's tried and true method of "learning a lesson about his rage and then reverting immediately back to type like it never happened".

There's a LOT of character growth in the series if you can look beyond the stupid stuff ont he surface, like Don being a cyborg or the slew of Image cameos.

Sadly, the issues can be hard to find/expensive, but they're well worth the trouble if you give it a chance beyond the rocky start.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

I for one loved this volume. Admittedly I was a bit hesitant, and literally judged a book by its cover (in this case a comic book). I guess all the changes I could infer from the cover art made me a bit weary. However, I gave it a fair shot and loved the entire vol. With Andrew’s ending it really made the Image comics some of my favorites to read. Go track em down dude!
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I imagine it won't be that long for Image to be collected by IDW. Maybe in another 2 years from now, if you're willing to wait?

Most of Volume 1 will be breezed through since the Ultimate collections and Classics are coming out at the same time. And Volume 2 is only 13 issues...so it shouldn't take that long to get to Image.

I just hope #24 and 25 are somehow reprinted officially.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I just hope #24 and 25 are somehow reprinted officially.
How cool would that be???
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

I would hope Andrew, Kevin Eastman, etc. try another shot at it when the Image collections come.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
They're great. The first arc is pretty clunky, and I know the whole thing sounds a bit much, but if you actually read it all yourself you'll find that it fit's in the Mirage Universe quite nicely.

Worth it though? I dunno... they're very rare at this point so you might wanna wait until IDW reprints them.
My local shop just gave me Vol. 3 No. 1! The art in it is very confusing.
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The series concludes in #24-25
Thanks to a fellow Dromer!
Dirty Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

I actually thought Volume 3 was just okay when it first came out, but after a second read through, it has become my 2nd favorite run of turtles, outside of Volume 1. This is likely because the tone fits closest to Volume 1 than any other run, in my opinion. It's got plenty of gritty action, but also throws in some nice humor to balance things out. It's not exactly the same kind of humor as Vol. 1, but like I said, the similarity is in tone. Some of the story lines or major changes I didn't care for too much, but I definitely appreciated what they were going for most of the time. Another one of the major draws for me is Frank Fosco's artwork, which is very much reminiscent of A.C. Farley. It comes off a little too sketchy at first, but he quickly adapts to the black & white style, and it features now some of my favorite artwork. It really is a shame it ended at #23! Or #25, depending on who you ask! I would have loved to see this series go on much longer. IDW has that reputation of bringing the fans what they want, and there's nothing I'd like more than an official continuation of Vol. 3 with the original team! Aside from Eastman & Laird, naturally.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
SS_Turtle
Hench Mutant

Thanks for all your replies, I just got a lead on the full set and will know tomorrow if the comic book store has them.
Now I can't wait to read them based on most of the comments.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg View Post
Thanks for all your replies, I just got a lead on the full set and will know tomorrow if the comic book store has them.
Now I can't wait to read them based on most of the comments.
Yes you will be very much in for a treat. It is a wild ride and a very full filling read when you include #24/25. #24 is available online for free download. Not sure when #25 will hit the net but I can imagine it will be far sooner than an IDW reprint.

-ms
Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
azrael
Mad Scientist

When I started on TMNT, I just wanted the Mirage runs. Then I tried some volume 3 and feel in love with it. I am so glad and thankful I have them all.

If you dont like the image run and looking to get rid of the whole set LMK. I will buy them from you.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
SS_Turtle
Hench Mutant

Well my lead had already sold there full set, they were asking $125 not sure if that's the going rate or not....
If anyone know anyone selling a full set of VOL 3 let me know.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
azrael
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg View Post
Well my lead had already sold there full set, they were asking $125 not sure if that's the going rate or not....
If anyone know anyone selling a full set of VOL 3 let me know.
I know I spent way less than that but that was through A LOT of searching.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
SS_Turtle
Hench Mutant

I saw some sold for $85 on older posts at misc forums.
I've got a few comic cons coming up so I'm going to see what I can track down.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #18
Powder
So tired of this place

Single issues?! For $85?! Somebody got screwed HARD.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #19
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Indeed. I think when I picked up issue 1 it was about $3. I can't remember. I just know that now the only TMNT #1 issue I need, aside from the 2 volumes of Tales is volume 1, and I will get one some day.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #20
SS_Turtle
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Single issues?! For $85?! Somebody got screwed HARD.
No $85 for the full set.