The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did Peter get a bad deal with Nickelodeon?
Yeah, bad deal. 4 23.53%
He got a good deal. 7 41.18%
I don't have enough information to say. 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Power Rangers" sold to Hasbro for $522 million...did Peter get a bad deal with Nick?

I know this is being talked about in the Power Rangers thread, but I think it deserves its own thread as it's... if not infuriating, then a bit puzzling. At least, to me.

https://newsroom.hasbro.com/news-rel...gers-and-other

How in the world does "Power Rangers" get sold en masse for $522 million... when all rights to TMNT gets sold en masse for $63 million... even in 2009? Does nobody else see the madness in this?

Is "Power Rangers" really worth over 8 times what TMNT is?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-02-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Power Rangers definitely isn't worth as much... except it turns out that it was.

I dunno, I always figured Laird wanted out and lost the TMNT fire in the belly, somebody offered him money allowing him to live in comfort the rest of his life, why haggle, BOOM. The man exited, stage right.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Sounds like the deal is for all Saban IPs and their entire content library. The TMNT library wasn't controlled by Mirage-- the movie, the old cartoons, etc. weren't part of the Nick deal. Nick only bought the IP to produce new content. I'm guessing that plays a huge part in the higher cost.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

Hasbro seemed to think so. Shocking difference. Maybe it being sold during a successful? revival gave more weight? otherwise I don't know, I wouldn't have the thought turtles could be worth so much less but I don't know enough about what's involved, I've never cared about PR.

Last edited by newfan; 05-02-2018 at 10:54 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Maybe Viacom also assumed a number of debts on Mirage or 4Kids? Back in 2009, I thought $63 million seemed like a steal, but I obviously don't know all the details of the contract.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Power Rangers is bigger then Ninja Turtles in sheer scope, iterations and just amount of material considering Power Rangers more or less gets to mine their IP from already existing Sentai stuff, that's 40+ years of material right there to mine from a franchise that's technically just 25 years old.

Plus, they also bought My Pet Monster, Julius Junior, Tree House detective and ****ing Popples!
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Maybe Viacom also assumed a number of debts on Mirage or 4Kids?
Why would they have any debts?
Old 05-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Think of how much more it would have gone for if the movie was a big success.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Why would they have any debts?
Didn't Laird basically pay a chunk of his own money to bring the last season of the 4Kids show to completion?

And, of course, it was widely assumed (maybe even confirmed in the letter columns) that Mirage published Volume 4 comics at a loss.

Or maybe the 25th Anniversary tour ended up costing more than the reported budget of 1 million?

View my sketch work!
Old 05-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Didn't Laird basically pay a chunk of his own money to bring the last season of the 4Kids show to completion?
Not that I know of. But even if he did, and he paid out of pocket for that... how would it be a debt?

Quote:
And, of course, it was widely assumed (maybe even confirmed in the letter columns) that Mirage published Volume 4 comics at a loss.
Probably. As in Peter was paying the artists and printing the books and not seeing a profit towards the end. But again, this isn't a debt.

Quote:
Or maybe the 25th Anniversary tour ended up costing more than the reported budget of 1 million?
Maybe. But still not a debt. Who would money still be owed to that wasn't paid?
Old 05-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #11
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not that I know of. But even if he did, and he paid out of pocket for that... how would it be a debt?

Probably. As in Peter was paying the artists and printing the books and not seeing a profit towards the end. But again, this isn't a debt.

Maybe. But still not a debt. Who would money still be owed to that wasn't paid?
I dunno. *shrugs*

View my sketch work!
Old 05-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #12
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Yes, Power Rangers is just that valuable. Power rangers is the equivalent/adaptation for the Japanese Super Sentai series for the rest of the world outside of East Asia. As someone who works in retail, I can tell you Power Rangers has a larger merchandising and licensing revenue stream now, than TMNT did before the Nickelodeon buyout. Power Rangers is an evergreen property that turns over every year or two, with new toys, new characters, and a whole new genre theme built into each season; basically, each season is like a brand new super hero team with anew set of villains, and the merchandise has to be bought all over again. TMNT, while personally I think a more interesting property, doesn't self -renew for the kiddies the way PR does every year or so.

In short, TMNT's artisitc value may or may not outweigh power rangers, but Power Rangers is monetarily the more valuable brand. Or rather, Power rangers is more valuable now, than TMNT was at the time of laird's sale. Also, as others have said, Hasbro is gettign all the past Power Ranger media and content, along other brands owned by saban, in the sale.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Maybe I'll sound like an asshole for saying this, but how is a license contract and a trademark worth 522 million dollars?

Power Rangers isn't really an IP itself, it's more like a license to distribute/produce Super Sentai material outside of Japan. The exclusive rights to hack a Japanese kids' show to pieces and splice in footage of New Zealanders pretending to be American, that's really all they're getting in addition to the name Power Rangers. It can't be worth 522 million dollars. "Owning" Power Rangers is basically meaningless unless you also own Super Sentai. Otherwise Toei might not renew the license and someone else might "create" a "new" show under a different name, like Saban did in the first place.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #14
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Think of how much more it would have gone for if the movie was a big success.
What are the chances of a sequel to the 2017 movie? Would Hasbro continue it as a film series?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
What are the chances of a sequel to the 2017 movie? Would Hasbro continue it as a film series?
0. The first one lost a lot of money.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #16
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Yes, considering Hasbro wants to turn all of the properties they own into films. Would it be a direct sequel? Dont know, but if they're wanting more Transformers films to hit the market, why cant Power Rangers.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Yes, considering Hasbro wants to turn all of the properties they own into films. Would it be a direct sequel? Dont know, but if they're wanting more Transformers films to hit the market, why cant Power Rangers.
Yeah, pretty good odds they try to do a reboot at some point.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #18
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Is it finally time for Hasbro to buy tmnt now?

(You know what I mean Indigoearth )

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #19
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

The movie wasn't bad for what it was. I would have liked to see a sequel but I'm not exactly heartbroken over not getting one either.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #20
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Maybe I'll sound like an asshole for saying this, but how is a license contract and a trademark worth 522 million dollars?

Power Rangers isn't really an IP itself, it's more like a license to distribute/produce Super Sentai material outside of Japan. The exclusive rights to hack a Japanese kids' show to pieces and splice in footage of New Zealanders pretending to be American, that's really all they're getting in addition to the name Power Rangers. It can't be worth 522 million dollars. "Owning" Power Rangers is basically meaningless unless you also own Super Sentai. Otherwise Toei might not renew the license and someone else might "create" a "new" show under a different name, like Saban did in the first place.
Actually, the Power Rangers IP also includes the American-exclusive rangers (titanium, the spirit rangers), villains (lord Zedd, Ransik, Dviatox), characters (zordon, Alpha) the American civilian identities and names (Tommy, Jason, Kimberly, trini, etc.), and the American exclusive names and story elements.

Say Hasbro were to buy out Toei's stake in the PR IP, and separate it from super sentai. MMPR could easily be remade, with redesign of the Zords and monsters (minus Zedd and the tengas, who could remain unchanged) and removing all Sentai visual elements. Rita Repulsa, goldar, scorpina, and the others could still be there, just after a radical redesign.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote