Mad Scientist

TMNT: The Armageddon Game #1 Preview and Discussion

Preview here.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Thank God the art is good.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:11 AM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

I have a hard time with Jennika still. Not because she's a female (pains me that I have to clarify that), but just because it feels like such a forced way of having a token-female ninja turtle.

Not to make a stink of it. That's "just, like, my opinion, man."

Actually, I'm not even 100% sure why it doesn't jive with me. As a kid, I sort of liked Venus. I don't know if that's just changing perspective or if there is something specific about Jennika that doesn't work for me. Needs more thought.

I agree that the art looks pretty nice.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
ChosenOne
Banned

Aqua, could it be because she's basically hijacking Alopex's role in the team and family dynamic?

Love the art and Karai/the Foot being relevant again.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:23 PM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Aqua, could it be because she's basically hijacking Alopex's role in the team and family dynamic?

Love the art and Karai/the Foot being relevant again.
Alopex was cool, and I'd love to have her there instead, but I'm not sure that's why.

It seems like Jennika being a turtle doesn't serve any purpose that couldn't be served by her being human.
At least in terms of the story or character dynamics. I'll admit it can be fun to see art with five ninja turtles on it, and comics are a visual medium, so I won't act like that's for nothing.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:35 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Glad to have the updates as always!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:06 PM   #7
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Fun fact: this is also the 250th issue in the IDW chronology.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:23 PM   #8
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I have a hard time with Jennika still. Not because she's a female (pains me that I have to clarify that), but just because it feels like such a forced way of having a token-female ninja turtle.

Actually, I'm not even 100% sure why it doesn't jive with me. As a kid, I sort of liked Venus. I don't know if that's just changing perspective or if there is something specific about Jennika that doesn't work for me. Needs more thought.

It's a weird thing to commentate here since she's barely in this preview and doesn't even say anything @.@
Old 09-27-2022, 01:41 PM   #9
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
It's a weird thing to commentate here since she's barely in this preview and doesn't even say anything @.@
She speaks at the bottom of the last page: 'Go easy with the Kuji-kiri. Copy that.'
Old 09-27-2022, 03:37 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

Eh, hopefully they just use the Turnstone to get rid of her along with Mutant Town by the end of this story or something.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

This is a new artist? Seems to be a good fit, although the Turtles seem to be drawn slightly too tall. Better than the cutesy look they had in the main ongoing though for a long time.

Also it's kind of funny they consider Baxter a formidable foe, he's just a normal human, any one of them could bust into his mayor's office and just knock him out on the spot.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:11 PM   #12
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also it's kind of funny they consider Baxter a formidable foe, he's just a normal human, any one of them could bust into his mayor's office and just knock him out on the spot.
That and Karai knowing about Null (am I forgetting something?) took me out of the moment, but then again, consider what will happen IRL to anyone who tries or even succeeds in taking out the Mayor of NYC...
Old 09-28-2022, 09:23 AM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It's like... Good and bad that the art on the Opening Moves and Armageddon Game proper has such good art and the main book doesn't, no offense to that person. Like it shows that this is a big event, bring your A Game to these books, but it also makes the main book feel like an afterthought.

I guess Jennika feels like an afterthought since she has no real personal stake in this or any previous interaction with the Rat King and such. At least Alopex has beef with both Shredder and Kitsune and it would be more interesting to see her having to be forced to trust them now.

Like is there any beef between Jennika and Karai seeing that Karai almost killed her and any mutant angst she's feeling is pretty much her fault?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:32 AM   #14
ChosenOne
Banned

No, but there is clearly a beef between Karai and Kitsune, which further cements Jennika's status as an afterthought.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #15
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Jenny and Karai dealt with their issues during the 'Tokka & Rahzar/ Battle of the Bands' arc.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:00 PM   #16
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I don't think so. This is a comic preview featuring Jennika, so I brought up Jennika.

I think the reality is that it's just a touchy subject and people get weird about it.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #17
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Jenny and Karai dealt with their issues during the 'Tokka & Rahzar/ Battle of the Bands' arc.
Sorry, I unironically forgot about that. You're right, of course.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:27 PM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Oh hey, nice cameo!
Spoiler:
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wow, this was really good. Some actual plot! Really puts into perspective you can use the same exact characters but have a different writer handle them and it makes a world of difference.

I won't spoil anything but this was the best issue in a long time. I'm really excited for this arc now,
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:26 AM   #20
martinitolove
Foot Soldier

Congratulations, Tom Waltz!

Glad you are back with a bang! Greatest issue since 100. Finally I can return to being a fan of TMNT - I have something to feed my appetite on!

As far as wokeness goes - Campbell's run on comics and Rise of TMNT on Nic, enough is enough!

In this issue so many of our favourite "pawns" are back into play, and not Rat King, but Waltz is the mastermind behind it. I've spend an hour reading and appreciating the beautiful art, especially April's face! I love waiting for the next issue and exited for "Aliance" by Burnham - he was amazing on Ghostbusters.

By the way, please continue the Ghostbusters series, get the rights to Jurassic Park and kill off Jennika in the 8th issue of Armageddon Game!

Another dream would be if you'd de-mutate all humans turned mutants, except for Bebop & Rocksteady, along the road!

Amazing work and huge thank you, Tom!
martinitolove is offline   Reply With Quote