The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Female Turtle Is Your Favorite?
Venus 12 32.43%
Jennika 7 18.92%
April (Archie Comics) 6 16.22%
Franken-Venus 1 2.70%
I don’t like any of them actually 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2023, 12:42 AM   #1
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Who Is The Better Female Turtle?

Between the sex symbol (Venus from Next Mutation) and the Mary Sue (Jennika)…I’m honestly less offended by the former.

Turtle April from the Archie comics could’ve been interesting; too bad her story lasted only one issue.

And Franken-Venus….I’ve got no comment.
Old 01-07-2023, 04:18 AM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Jennika f***s a literal pig so no.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:45 AM   #3
Sumac
Banned

Technically I don't like any of them.
But I vote OG Venus. I think she has the most potential to be a good well-developed character, without twisting her into some abomination or some-such.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:03 AM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

The sea Turtle in Turtles, Turtles Everywhere...
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:48 AM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

You forgot Lita in the poll but... I mean, who cares? Maybe TigerClaw but I'm not so sure he really cares about any of Mutant Town characters, not in the way people typically like characters anyway.

As for any of the others, the random-ass sea turtle who needs to lay some eggs, the one from that one episode I tend to use as an example for why the FW cartoon had pacing problems. That might seriously be the best depiction of a female turtle in the entire franchise. If we have to use something a bit more noteworthy, I think the 2012 depiction of Tokka is the best bet. And if it can't be a realistic turtle or just an alien monster and needs to be something that resembles the four proper Ninja Turtles...

Spoiler:
Mike's imaginary version of himself from the Fourfold Trap, because when it's just a joke it's literally the only way the concept is worth humoring.
Spoiler:

In the end though, all of these hinge on the idea that they aren't an attempt to add another Ninja Turtle to the group. It's like adding a fifth member to the Fantastic Four, the new one is always going to stick out like a sore thumb and just isn't necessary. If you honestly need female characters, there really isn't a need to make another turtle and there are plenty of female characters to begin with, you don't need to screw with who the core characters are for that purpose.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #6
Mondo_Gecko
Stone Warrior

I've never watched Next Mutation aside from a few YouTube clips. By the time it aired, I was at the end of elementary school and was in the phase too cool for cartoons, Disney and never watched any of the new iterations of childhood faves Turtles or Ghostbusters. Venus as an idea doesn't bother me but I can't comment on her portrayal.

With Jennika, I bought her debut issue but haven't really followed her character or the comics, so I can't comment on her at all.

I always liked the Archie Comics special where April was mutated into a turtle. Along with Perri Grey as a flying squirrel I might. I always thought that would have been an interesting arc.
Mondo_Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:37 AM   #7
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Gecko View Post
I've never watched Next Mutation aside from a few YouTube clips. By the time it aired, I was at the end of elementary school and was in the phase too cool for cartoons, Disney and never watched any of the new iterations of childhood faves Turtles or Ghostbusters. Venus as an idea doesn't bother me but I can't comment on her portrayal.

With Jennika, I bought her debut issue but haven't really followed her character or the comics, so I can't comment on her at all.

I always liked the Archie Comics special where April was mutated into a turtle. Along with Perri Grey as a flying squirrel I might. I always thought that would have been an interesting arc.
You're better off not connecting with either female turtle.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:07 AM   #8
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I think I know where Sophie got the idea for Sheena:

Spoiler:

“LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pop singer Miley Cyrus is back in the buff, covered only in mud as she hugs a pig to support the charity she founded in a photo gracing Paper Magazine, as she reveals her romantic attraction to females.”

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 01-10-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:29 AM   #9
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
You forgot Lita in the poll but... I mean, who cares?
That’s why I didn’t include her.

Quote:
In the end though, all of these hinge on the idea that they aren't an attempt to add another Ninja Turtle to the group. It's like adding a fifth member to the Fantastic Four, the new one is always going to stick out like a sore thumb and just isn't necessary. If you honestly need female characters, there really isn't a need to make another turtle and there are plenty of female characters to begin with, you don't need to screw with who the core characters are for that purpose.
Venus was created just so that the boys could have something to m********* to; Jennika is for the SJW’s instead. It’s the same marketing tactic.

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 01-07-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:35 AM   #10
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Venus, easily

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:50 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Lita, actually. Being just an orphaned little kid taken in and someone who will grow up as part of the Turtle family, I find her the least offensive way to add another/female Turtle without stepping on any toes. (Ignoring that they already ran off and had grown up Lita show up via time travel.)

You guys might say "who cares," but that's the point? She didn't take over and grab all the spotlight, while giving the TMNT a next generation to pass everything down to without going overboard with the whole idea.

The angle they took in even bothering to add Venus... bleh. Jennika... nothing against her really, but could have been handled better. She's a bit too shoehorned in there and then shoved into being their method of adding other representation.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:12 PM   #12
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I don't really like any of them. In their current form, all of them are pretty terrible characters, but old Venus is honestly the least offensive at this point and is still the character with the most potential. Though if you are going to use a fifth female turtle, which isn't a super great idea anyways, they should be on the level of recurring character that Slash usually is, not the "fifth turtle."
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:19 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
they should be on the level of recurring character that Slash usually is, not the "fifth turtle."
That's what I wish they'd have done with Jennika instead. She's older, right? Then let her be a grownass woman living her life, associating with the Hamanto clan sometimes as a friend and when needed, but not completely intertwined and a part of everything all the time.

Venus, same deal.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:45 PM   #14
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Tokka - Chompy’s mom of course!
Old 01-07-2023, 06:56 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Zachatello00 wins... No use challenging a cosmic monster.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:20 AM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Yup, 2012 Tokka wins, no contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 01-08-2023 at 02:37 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:58 PM   #17
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Guess I should’ve included Mama Tokka in the poll then.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:56 PM   #18
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

I vote for toon April. Nice curves.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:42 PM   #19
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
It's like adding a fifth member to the Fantastic Four, the new one is always going to stick out like a sore thumb and just isn't necessary. If you honestly need female characters, there really isn't a need to make another turtle and there are plenty of female characters to begin with, you don't need to screw with who the core characters are for that purpose.
This echoes my thoughts; it just seems lazy to say "oh there's another turtle now except she's a girl and anything you can do she can do better" when the franchise already has so many cool, interesting, original female characters, written for their own sake not to check some box or whatever. I wish IDW had been more consistent with April, and Angel, and Alopex (sheesh, "A" names much?) from the start but what they've been doing lately has been improvement. Jennika is a much sadder story; I voted for her because it is actually a somewhat interesting premise, to have a character whose mutation mirrors the Turtles' own, going from human to anthropomorphic turtle instead of the other way around. But execution has been inconsistent.

Karai has so much interesting potential that's still only being touched on, she could benefit from more story focus. Koya needs some more panel time to develop her further since her story has become kind-of stagnant. I can't even remember the name of Karai's bodyguard/lover

Debating which tacked-on female Turtle is better is one thing, but I think we can all agree that we definitely don't need so fucking many of them. Like less is more sometimes, ya know?
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:13 PM   #20
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Venus looks cool in the idw comics
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote