The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #1
DanielFyre
New Recruit

Where to buy CGC graded TMNT books besides ebay?

Hi, all. I'm New to posting in this forum. I typically lurk. I am looking to purchase some graded preferably CGC signature series books signed by Peter Laird. Outside of ebay are there any other resourses that you guys are privy to? Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum to post.
DanielFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

ComicLink
Heritage Auctions
Shortboxed
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Of them all I had a good experience with Shortboxed. It is an easy App download and sign up. The browser is also easy to navigate. Everything is sold via an independent seller, but if the price is over $1,000 USD it goes to the headquarters for an extra verification then shipped from there to your postal address via postal mail. All comics listed are stabbed and graded with certificates provided. All items are $15 shipping fee no matter what the cost of the comic is. Also, you can negotiate with the seller and bring down the asking price recalling it will be a flat $15 extra for whatever is agreed upon.

In the last 13 months I have obtained-
Detective Comics#359- First Barbara Gordon/Batgirl
Detective Comics#400 - First Man-Bat, Robin-Batgirl team up
Detective Comics#405- First League of Assassins
Detective Comics#411- First Talia al Gbul
Amazing Spider-Man#300- First Venom
and for a gift Captain Atom#83 - First Blue Beetle II/ Tex Kord

Each item was well packaged and arrived in less than 10 business days.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:50 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Of them all I had a good experience with Shortboxed. It is an easy App download and sign up. The browser is also easy to navigate. Everything is sold via an independent seller, but if the price is over $1,000 USD it goes to the headquarters for an extra verification then shipped from there to your postal address via postal mail. All comics listed are stabbed and graded with certificates provided. All items are $15 shipping fee no matter what the cost of the comic is. Also, you can negotiate with the seller and bring down the asking price recalling it will be a flat $15 extra for whatever is agreed upon.

In the last 13 months I have obtained-
Detective Comics#359- First Barbara Gordon/Batgirl
Detective Comics#400 - First Man-Bat, Robin-Batgirl team up
Detective Comics#405- First League of Assassins
Detective Comics#411- First Talia al Gbul
Amazing Spider-Man#300- First Venom
and for a gift Captain Atom#83 - First Blue Beetle II/ Tex Kord

Each item was well packaged and arrived in less than 10 business days.
Wow, great books man. I have been resisting building that original Captain Atom run for some time now... it's nagging at me.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The problem is its not necessarily expensive because of keys, but because Charlton Comics had a much lower print run. That makes the better than vg+ grade hard to obtain. Kinda like the Archie TMNT. It took me searching about five minutes each week between April and October before I snagged a CGC 6.5 copy of Captain Atom#83 for $195 ($210) overall.

I have been working backwards on my Detective Comics run. Right now I am trying to fill in holes between Detective Comics #327-358.

If you want a graded slabbed comic with verification Shortboxed is the absolute best bet. Ebay is good but if it's verification you are concerned about Shirtboxed has you covered. Just be prepared to spend a little.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:38 PM   #6
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

mycomicshop has some for sale here and there and their weekly auction prices typically don't get out of control.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:48 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liugeaux View Post
mycomicshop has some for sale here and there and their weekly auction prices typically don't get out of control.
Anything on their eBay store is almost always, automatically cheaper on their website. Just a head's up for anyone looking.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:55 PM   #8
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Anything on their eBay store is almost always, automatically cheaper on their website. Just a head's up for anyone looking.
lol, I didn't even know they had an ebay store. Yeah the auctions on their site are the way to go.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:04 PM   #9
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Funny story. Well, not really.

When The Last Ronin #1 first released back in 2020, I immediately sent my copy to be graded. This was the original 1st edition, mind you, so it was valuable already. The guy I entrusted it to was the owner of a local comic shop and he and I were pretty tight so I had no reason not to trust him.

Then his business started to go downhill, and he and his wife got divorced on top of that. The shop suddenly closed, and I never got my comic back. I felt betrayed and I hated myself for letting yet another valuable item slip through my fingers, the first being my Charizard card back in elementary school.

After a brief mourning period, I decided to just let it go and forgive that guy for backstabbing me, as hard as that was. I was pretty sure that it was lost forever, so I accepted that and moved on.

But this weekend, I finally got it back, after 2 and a half years. 9.8 grade, too.

My faith in humanity has been restored…somewhat.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:15 PM   #10
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Funny story. Well, not really.

When The Last Ronin #1 first released back in 2020, I immediately sent my copy to be graded. This was the original 1st edition, mind you, so it was valuable already. The guy I entrusted it to was the owner of a local comic shop and he and I were pretty tight so I had no reason not to trust him.

Then his business started to go downhill, and he and his wife got divorced on top of that. The shop suddenly closed, and I never got my comic back. I felt betrayed and I hated myself for letting yet another valuable item slip through my fingers, the first being my Charizard card back in elementary school.

After a brief mourning period, I decided to just let it go and forgive that guy for backstabbing me, as hard as that was. I was pretty sure that it was lost forever, so I accepted that and moved on.

But this weekend, I finally got it back, after 2 and a half years. 9.8 grade, too.

My faith in humanity has been restored…somewhat.
Wow. I've heard that CGC waiting times had increased since the covid run-up in values, but damn, that's a long wait. Glad you got it back.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:18 PM   #11
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Wow. I've heard that CGC waiting times had increased since the covid run-up in values, but damn, that's a long wait. Glad you got it back.
Thanks.

But after this, I’m not sure if I’ll ever send a comic to be graded again.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Thanks.

But after this, I’m not sure if I’ll ever send a comic to be graded again.
I like submitting books at conventions......
Old 02-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I have picked up these two from Shortboxed in the last month for good prices for what they are. Batman#153 helps with my retro Batman run, 'Robin Dies at Dawn' made retroactively important thanks to Grant Morrison.

The other FINALLY completed my set of Batman Adventures, animated comics having lower print runs and this being Harley Quinn's first comic appearance.

If you are patient and also negotiate it can pay off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230202_175129.jpg (64.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20230128_122051.jpg (96.6 KB, 4 views)