The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-18-2022, 12:24 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

King of the Hill Revival From Mike Judge and Greg Daniels

One of several projects in the works from their new animation studio

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ed-1235076296/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Would the Beavis and Butthead revival not be one of the others?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Would the Beavis and Butthead revival not be one of the others?
Maybe they will finally crossover.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

I love this show, but I'm nervous about it.

First off, both Lucky and LuAnne's voice actors are dead. How are they going to address this? Recasting is an option, and part of me wants that since LuAnne was one of the most popular characters and everything, but it would also be very strange to hear "wrong" voices coming out of those characters.

I have a feeling that the show will have written them out somehow, perhaps dying in some tragic accident, and then Hank and Peggy are raising their kid as the second child they always wanted but never got to have. It would be bittersweet to say the least but it also kind of fits into the history of things they've done before.

BUT, they also might just recast. And that'd be fine, too.

On the other hand, times have changed. Can this show still work and remain true to itself without twisting the characters into something they're not, just to appease modern-day sensibilities? I wouldn't want to see that. For example, Hank's always been fairly open-minded (at least when forced to be), but one big thing about him is that he's been consistently and thoroughly horrified by the idea of transgender people. It's a consistent trait. Are we to realistically believe that his position on that subject has "evolved"? I don't think it would, nor do I think it necessarily should. But you know they'd have to mention it somehow, since every show nowadays "has" to have a trans character featured prominently.

I can see the new show sticking JoJack in a dress, and Hank and everyone else being forced to just deal with it like it's not big deal. But I won't lie, kinda don't wanna see that.

I really love the original show, and a revival intrigues me, but only if it's still true to itself and not some "modern-day thinking" thing, forced to be something it never was. Same with Beavis & Butt-Head.

We'll see. Could go a lot of ways. I do have faith in Judge. BUT, it's not altogether impossible that he'd be forced to make some "compromises" just to stay in the business. It's not like his phone's been ringing off the hook for the last decade or so. I would HOPE that he wouldn't bend over just to appease Hollywood but at the same time, guy's gotta eat.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 01-18-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:26 PM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

King of the Hill is one of the few shows I still watch occasionally, but nowhere past around season 6. In fact, I prefer to just stick to the first few seasons. It just has a different type of charm, early on, that I love.

I'll check this out, and I'm glad to hear it's back, but it may not be for me. Though, it could be a chance for them to refresh and get back to the core of the series.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:52 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Its so weird because a couple of months ago it wasn't on anywhere in reruns, and hadn't been for like, years. It's a show my wife and I would always watch constantly whenever it was on, no matter how many times we'd seen it, because it's just that good in general. We have the first eight Seasons on DVD (everything past that is stupid expensive since they were under-printed and thus rare) but we still catch reruns when we can. But just a couple of months ago, I literally said out loud, "Isn't it so weird that King of the Hill just, like, disappeared?"

Then FX gets the rights to it and starts putting on daily multi-hour blocks out of nowhere, AND they're talking about a revival series.

I really should complain more often, if this is how things turn out.

Old 01-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #7
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The new King of the Hill should be about Bobby all grown up and having a family of his own, And his parents now being grandparents, The show being set during current times would be interesting to explore.

I would imagine some of Hank Hill's friends probably being Trump supporters, So imagine all the stuff they can do to riff on that.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

That kid had no future. Real Life was destined to hit Bobby like a truck and the show's entire run made that insistently and repeatedly clear.

If they do age everyone up, he'd definitely still be living at home with his parents and single. Maybe divorced. He'd basically be Bill, which in turn lends credence to the persistent fan-theories over the years that Bobby was actually Bill's son and not Hank's, given the fact that Bobby and Hank had nothing at all in common (whereas Bobby and Bill had a LOT in common) along with Bill's unhealthy obsession with Peggy. The rumor/theory goes that one night Peggy had drunken pity sex with Bill and Bobby was the result, which would also make sense considering Hank's narrow urethra and their constant and continued difficulty conceiving. I don't take it as canon, myself, but on its face it does actually make perfect sense, honestly it makes MORE sense than Bobby being Hank's kid if we're being real about it.

In any case, grown-up Bobby would 100% be Bill. That'd be depressing, I don't need to see that.

Regardless though I do think, last I heard, that the new show was indeed going to do a time-jump and have everyone be older. Not sure if anything's changed but I did hear that at one point.

My prediction in that case is that LuAnne and Lucky are dead, somehow, Hank and Peggy are raising their daughter, and meanwhile lamenting Bobby's ongoing failure to leave the nest. I can totally see that being the show. But we'll see. That could still work. It would definitely be a bit of a different show but I can see it still being good.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:55 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

What would Joseph be? A horny version of Dale?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
That kid had no future. Real Life was destined to hit Bobby like a truck and the show's entire run made that insistently and repeatedly clear.

If they do age everyone up, he'd definitely still be living at home with his parents and single. Maybe divorced. He'd basically be Bill, which in turn lends credence to the persistent fan-theories over the years that Bobby was actually Bill's son and not Hank's, given the fact that Bobby and Hank had nothing at all in common (whereas Bobby and Bill had a LOT in common) along with Bill's unhealthy obsession with Peggy. The rumor/theory goes that one night Peggy had drunken pity sex with Bill and Bobby was the result, which would also make sense considering Hank's narrow urethra and their constant and continued difficulty conceiving. I don't take it as canon, myself, but on its face it does actually make perfect sense, honestly it makes MORE sense than Bobby being Hank's kid if we're being real about it.

In any case, grown-up Bobby would 100% be Bill. That'd be depressing, I don't need to see that.

Regardless though I do think, last I heard, that the new show was indeed going to do a time-jump and have everyone be older. Not sure if anything's changed but I did hear that at one point.

My prediction in that case is that LuAnne and Lucky are dead, somehow, Hank and Peggy are raising their daughter, and meanwhile lamenting Bobby's ongoing failure to leave the nest. I can totally see that being the show. But we'll see. That could still work. It would definitely be a bit of a different show but I can see it still being good.
I tend to roll my eyes at these types of fan-theories, which I am, in fact, doing right now, but that was fun to read nonetheless. Some clever connections.

Never imagined Bobby would grow up to be a loser like Bill. He has such a good heart. But then again, Bill has a good heart too, he's just incredibly weak-minded and desperate. Hm.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:05 PM   #11
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

So stoked to finally get an official confirmation of this (rumors had been percolating for at least a year or so prior, and I'd had my fingers crossed). I had already been coming up with my own story ideas for a successor show called "Over the Hill" that followed all the characters we know five to ten years down the line. I think that's a way more interesting premise than just revisiting everybody in the same place they were in at the end of the first run of the show.

Quote:

That's characteristically pessimistic of you, Leo, but come on, like there's never been a kid who differed from their parent even slightly
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I would imagine some of Hank Hill's friends probably being Trump supporters, So imagine all the stuff they can do to riff on that.
I would imagine that's probably a reason why they would not do that (age them up, make it a commentary on now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
So stoked to finally get an official confirmation of this (rumors had been percolating for at least a year or so prior, and I'd had my fingers crossed). I had already been coming up with my own story ideas for a successor show called "Over the Hill" that followed all the characters we know five to ten years down the line. I think that's a way more interesting premise than just revisiting everybody in the same place they were in at the end of the first run of the show.
I agree, that'd be way more interesting. The same with Beavis & Butthead's revival. You know, instead of let's pretend exactly one week has passed since last we saw them yet suddenly there's smartphones and Netflix and stuff.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #13
AquaParade
Banned

Yeah, I'd be down for "Over the Hill".

I used to think Hank and Mr. Anderson from Beavis and Butthead were the same guy. Obviously, that mostly came down to the voice.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #14
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I agree, that'd be way more interesting. The same with Beavis & Butthead's revival. You know, instead of let's pretend exactly one week has passed since last we saw them yet suddenly there's smartphones and Netflix and stuff.
I thought they were doing old Beavis & Butthead? [x]
Old 01-19-2022, 07:08 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I thought they were doing old Beavis & Butthead? [x]
That's what I initially thought/hoped... but it sounds like no, that was just a gag?
Old 01-19-2022, 07:29 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

Doesn't matter if someone has a "good heart". Loser kids turn into Loser Adults. Look at this forum for evidence.

Bobby had zero work ethic (HOW many times did that show use the "Bobby can't handle money" and "This kid is so lazy he can't wipe his ass without help" as the basis for an entire episode? So many I lost count) and he wanted life to be all fun and games. Real Life eats those people alive, I've seen it a million times.

The show's always been pretty realistic by design, so if they give Bobby any kind of "successful" adulthood that's honestly some serious bullsh*t. That just isn't how life works.

As for the fan theory, I don't subscribe to it myself BUT it's probably the best one I've ever seen about anything. Most fan theories are total nonsense that require tons of logical loopholes to make sense, but Bobby being Bill's kid would make total sense. It would make Peggy a bad person, but let's be honest, she's a bad person anyway. Not on purpose, but she's a total narcissist and mostly only does "good" things for her own benefit. I could even see the new show coming out with that as the big first episode revelation, people wouldn't like it but story-wise it would make sense.

Anyway, I didn't come up with it but apparently it's a theory people have been floating for at least ten years. Once more, not my canon but I can totally see it.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:23 PM   #17
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

So they confirmed a time-jump but the show itself isn’t even confirmed yet

https://collider.com/king-of-the-hil...-comments/amp/
Old 01-25-2022, 02:02 AM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Does Disney own the rights to KotH?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:48 PM   #19
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
The show's always been pretty realistic by design, so if they give Bobby any kind of "successful" adulthood that's honestly some serious bullsh*t. That just isn't how life works.
This right here is why I dont think he would be a Bill, I think he is much more of a Luanne. Its been a while since I have watched it and he did seem like a typical kid with no real motivation but I remember him applying himself when he found something he liked.

I would think his part of the story would probably be him living with his parents still...a college dropout (or under student loans from going to school for something that does not have a good turn around) trying to find his place in the world. He would probably be working a Mega-lo-mart while trying to get Standup gigs or something like that.

I wouldn't put him as a "Bill" mostly because bill comes from a lifetime of experience and heart break. He has 0 self esteem (something that Bobby fluxuated with) because he had been beaten down over time.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #20
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
This right here is why I dont think he would be a Bill, I think he is much more of a Luanne. Its been a while since I have watched it and he did seem like a typical kid with no real motivation but I remember him applying himself when he found something he liked.

I would think his part of the story would probably be him living with his parents still...a college dropout (or under student loans from going to school for something that does not have a good turn around) trying to find his place in the world. He would probably be working a Mega-lo-mart while trying to get Standup gigs or something like that.
I think people are being cynical when they dismiss Bobby as incapable of success. He's very much his own person and not interested in measuring himself by someone else's standard. There are so many possible outcomes for the characters with a fifteen year-timejump, they can do almost anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
I wouldn't put him as a "Bill" mostly because bill comes from a lifetime of experience and heart break. He has 0 self esteem (something that Bobby fluxuated with) because he had been beaten down over time.
But remember how Bill appeared in high school? He was a god, a GOLDEN GOD