The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-22-2023, 09:07 AM   #41
Sumac
Banned

If this is true, it looks like TMNT has been finally nerfed into shitpile by combined force of execs who think that they know what kids wants and woke autism.
As they say in my country in cases like this: Thanks, I had a good vomit.

Given that Campbell attempted to turn April into obese stereotype, I wonder, if he is involved in this project in some capacity or execs just arrived to this "idea" on their own?

In some cases, I can say: "This work is not for me, but its OK, other might like it", like with 2k12 series, for example. I dislike it, for many reasons, but I am OK with other people liking it and finding some merit in it.

In this case it looks like an irredeemable garbage. Sorry, but it is what it is. Rogen being involved was a big red flag and it was fairly obvious it will be a shitpile, but I couldn't imagine how bad it will be.

Of course, I give it 1% that it might be different in the final version, but I feel like it can be worse or, even its better, it won't be MUCH better.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:50 AM   #42
Coola Yagami
Overlord

So this looks like something not worth watching....

The bad thing is the big wigs always learn the wrong lessons. If this movie crashes and burns and it becomes the absolute worst movie or whichever year it's released the lesson learned will be 'maybe people just don't like Ninja Turtles anymore' or 'I guess TMNT isn't marketable anymore' and not 'maybe this particular version of TMNT is just horrible'.

Of all the different woke routes they could have gone with April, making her gay, bi, side shaved headcut, colored hair, feminist, any other race/skin color except white or what-have-you, I never thought we'd get 'big fat ugly April'.

If I was in charge someone would have lost their job over that one.... lmao

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 01-22-2023 at 09:59 AM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:56 AM   #43
AquaParade
Banned

If they are completely dense, I guess that’s what they’ll do. That said, the market evidence is right in front of them. Neca figures and The Last Ronin are highly successful…with comic book fans, not with the elementary school market.

I have to wonder if they are starting to realize this already. They did mention last year that they weren’t counting out future live-action movies. They said that unprompted. Makes me wonder if they are finally looking at the sales data vs the failure of stuff like “Rise…” and doing what they’re supposed to be good at - following the money.

Best case scenario is that this one is for the kids, and the “MCU movie audience”, as I’ll call it, have something else being cooked up. Because this just isn’t going to cut it with the 13+ crowd and they know that audience is there. I really can’t even imagine middle schoolers wanting this kind of thing. It just feels very childish.

Super annoying to watch the movies constantly flounder. Making good movies is hard, but at least aim in the right direction.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #44
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
If they are completely dense, I guess that’s what they’ll do. That said, the market evidence is right in front of them. Neca figures and The Last Ronin are highly successful…with comic book fans, not with the elementary school market.

I have to wonder if they are starting to realize this already. They did mention last year that they weren’t counting out future live-action movies. They said that unprompted. Makes me wonder if they are finally looking at the sales data vs the failure of stuff like “Rise…” and doing what they’re supposed to be good at - following the money.

Best case scenario is that this one is for the kids, and the “MCU movie audience”, as I’ll call it, have something else being cooked up. Because this just isn’t going to cut it with the 13+ crowd and they know that audience is there. I really can’t even imagine middle schoolers wanting this kind of thing. It just feels very childish.

Super annoying to watch the movies constantly flounder. Making good movies is hard, but at least aim in the right direction.
I'm surprised they haven't gone the obvious route like some movies with remakes/sort reboots/whatever have been doing lately and not flat out make a new TMNT III with the suits and pretending the original III never happened. Kinda like Superman Returns/latest Halloween films where they pretend previous movies don't happen, it's the same continuity except people have cell phones.

I'm just surprised with the over-reliance and constant callbacks to the 80's TMNT cartoon they haven't gone the obvious route or either making a new 90's style live-action guys-in-suits TMNT movie or just give the 80's OT their long overdue animated movie. I mean both the VAs from the 90's movies and the original 4 TMNT VAs are still alive and all.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 01-22-2023, 10:19 AM   #45
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Let's be honest, this is a 'left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing' type of situation. Do you honestly believe Seth Rogen or anyone working on this movie have even heard of The Last Ronin? They probably don't even know a comic is out. The toys maaaaaaaaybe, but the NECA figures aren't exactly common in stores.

Old 01-22-2023, 10:21 AM   #46
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Let's be honest, this is a 'left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing' type of situation. Do you honestly believe Seth Rogen or anyone working on this movie have even heard of The Last Ronin? They probably don't even know a comic is out. The toys maaaaaaaaybe, but the NECA figures aren't exactly common in stores.
Yeah, but it’s Viacom and Nick who dictate the direction at the end of the day.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

I also don't understand why they thought THIS was worth a big theatrical debut. Like if this was just a animated movie to quickly dump on netflix, i could sort of understand it. Why are they using a pitch like this to try and revive the TMNT brand with? It really makes no sense.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:30 AM   #48
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'm currently still going (to try to) withhold an assumption that it will be a bad movie until we actually see enough of a teaser or trailer to really get a look at what it's aiming for. (Which they really aught to just hurry up with if they have any confidence at all that it might have the ability to actually alleviate the reaction to these leaks.)

But so far... if feels like the TMNT as actors cast in a non-TMNT film.

Superbowl not too far away, maybe they've got a teaser or trailer planned for that and these leaks are ruining the hype they have built up in their heads.

Just... for the love of whatever, even if it's targeting kids, at least show us you made something that's still kind of enjoyable, at least in a Half Shell Heroes movie kind of way and not something so out of right field that it spits in the face of the franchise.

Am I really such a big meanie adult for just wanting something like the portrayal of 2003 Leo returned to him... instead of the dishonesty, etc that Rise and these storyboard panels seem to portray.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-22-2023 at 10:39 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:03 PM   #49
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Pretty convincing, if this is a fake it's very professionally done.

I'd been wondering for awhile now if this movie's writing quality would lean more into the Jeff Rowe side (Gravity Falls, Mitchells) or the Brendan O'Brien side (Neighbors, The House). Looks like I got my answer... hopefully this is an earlier draft which could be the case.

I don't hate this interpretation of April. Making her a conspiracy nut social outcast is a sensible change as she's meant to be the bridge between the Turtles and the human world. I can follow that thought process, wouldn't call it a change for the sake of change, unlike this version of Leo. Yeesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
"we don't respect children as an audience, they'll watch anything"
Hammer -> head. Admittedly, kids as an audience are harder than ever to reach now due to social media, so there may be a lot of seeing what sticks involved. Don't know why they think the intelligence insulting angle will work, though. Probably Minion fever, even though these days Minions are way more popular with 40-something bored moms on Facebook than they are with kids now or the kids that grew up with them.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:44 PM   #50
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Looking forward to it regardless of how they look, This TMNT will be its own thing, Just like every other version of TMNT out there.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:48 PM   #51
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Looking forward to it regardless of how they look, This TMNT will be its own thing, Just like every other version of TMNT out there.
And of course, TigerClaw loves it. Big surprise there.

Of course every version is "it's own thing." That doesn't mean that they're always GOOD things. Look at Next Mutation. Did it try to be it's own thing? Yes. Is it terrible, badly written, and shoddily produced? Also yes.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:49 PM   #52
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
And of course, TigerClaw loves it. Big surprise there.

Of course every version is "it's own thing." That doesn't mean that they're always GOOD things. Look at Next Mutation. Did it try to be it's own thing? Yes. Is it terrible, badly written, and shoddily produced? Also yes.
That is all subjective.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:20 PM   #53
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Given that Campbell attempted to turn April into obese stereotype
I did notice that she looked a bit larger than usual. If you browse Campbell’s art, the human girls tend to be pudgy and have a Lilo nose.

(Speaking of, if Campbell were to do a remake of “Lilo and Stitch”, I’ll bet that Stitch would be genderbent into a girl with more humanistic features and she and Lilo would become a lesbian couple.)
Old 01-22-2023, 02:29 PM   #54
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Angel, the pink (of course) gender bent version of Stitch, even if a separate character, already exists. lol

To the topic(s) at hand... I don't really care if someone wants to be a little more realistic with body types and not make everyone a twig, but going so far off course with established characters is annoying. It's another case where this woman could have simply been a totally acceptable new friend and ally to the TMNT and that would have worked fine. Imagine even an older, grandmotherly woman? A type of figure they lacked in their lives.

edit: Is this character black? Might have been nice to go the sweet, warmhearted black grandma type (everyone in the world needs one of those women), who is a senior lady and a teacher who hasn't yet had the heart to retire yet because she loves her students, is an above ground neighbor of the TMNT and has secretly known them for years. I could easily be on board with adding new people into their lives like that rather than drastically changing existing ones. Then add April in somewhere else in a more recognizable form.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-22-2023 at 02:47 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:20 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Need moar Turtl prduct!.!
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:47 PM   #56
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
That is all subjective.
No, no it is not. I watched Next Mutation in it's entirety and the problems are not entirely subjective, not even remotely. You might argue that the problems people have with the introduction of the new characters or some other deviations the show made from the norm are really all subjective but that's where it ends. The Next Mutation is awful, it is so poorly written and edited it's difficult to even figure out what happened in way too many of the episodes. That's the most basic thing that you need to get right, you must make sure the audience can make sense of what is happening, if fail at that then your show is bad by default.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:07 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
If this is true, it looks like TMNT has been finally nerfed into shitpile by combined force of execs who think that they know what kids wants and woke autism.
As they say in my country in cases like this: Thanks, I had a good vomit.

Given that Campbell attempted to turn April into obese stereotype, I wonder, if he is involved in this project in some capacity or execs just arrived to this "idea" on their own?

In some cases, I can say: "This work is not for me, but its OK, other might like it", like with 2k12 series, for example. I dislike it, for many reasons, but I am OK with other people liking it and finding some merit in it.

In this case it looks like an irredeemable garbage. Sorry, but it is what it is. Rogen being involved was a big red flag and it was fairly obvious it will be a shitpile, but I couldn't imagine how bad it will be.

Of course, I give it 1% that it might be different in the final version, but I feel like it can be worse or, even its better, it won't be MUCH better.
Probably they were wondering if there was any way they could add diversity to the characters and someone in the room piped up "Look at Rise. Look at IDW. We can do a lot with April, since there's precedent!"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:55 PM   #58
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Tigerclaw would be happy with a pile of feces with the TMNT logo slapped on it Let's be real here

But yes if this is legit more proof that Rise did more harm to the TMNT franchise than initially thought.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:57 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also unless it's the way April is drawn, don't the Turtles look like toddlers here? They look like the 5 year old Turtles we usually see in flashback stories in the cartoons/comics. But the title is still "Teenage" Mutant Ninja Turtles, so isn't that weird?

If I didn't know better I'd say this was a kid flashback story or something.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:13 PM   #60
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Come on now, let's not say things we'll regret later. Clear your mind a little, take a breath, and let's talk about this reasonably.
I was joking. That being said if I was forced to choose a direction for the movies; either more Platinum Dunes stuff or this I would take my chances with the former.

Quote:

Sadly I think this is unrealistic.

This isn't like Into The Spider-Verse were it's an extra arm of the Spider-Man franchise. The reason they are doing an animated movie is because after Out Of The Shadows tanked so hard Paramount doesn't think they have any other option. For a franchise that has five live action movies to go the animated rout there's no way that this isn't perceived by the wider public as a step backwards. To me that's why they added they haven't ruled out another live action/cgi hybrid movie. It's largely a face saving comment but I seriously doubt there is any firm plans. They way they said it was like they were sheepishly floating the slim possibility of a new live movie at some vague point in the future. If they had any firm plans they's say "we're planning a new live action movie currently scheduled for 20XX".

I doubt Paramount will release a new live action TMNT movie unless there is significant evidence there is an audience for it. I doubt they are aware of the success of The Last Ronin or the NECA figures or even Batman v TMNT and even if they were I doubt that would sway their execs for a more 'adult' approach. The only way I can see a new live TMNT movie being made anytime in the next few years is if Transformers: Rise Of The Beasts makes a lot of money. That franchise coming back after the last one lost money might signal to them movies of that type (which is how they see TMNT) were on the rise again.

Last edited by Galactus; 01-22-2023 at 06:19 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tigerclawisashill