The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-31-2023, 04:49 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Joker and Batman were both hits.
Sorry, I mean stuff that isn't non-DCEU intended stuff.

Quote:
The Batman grossed $800m with a six-week theatrical window and instant stream date.
Still ending notably lower than BvS, TDKR, and TKR.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:54 PM   #22
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Sorry, I mean stuff that isn't non-DCEU intended stuff.

Why does it matter when DC made the last “non-DCEU” hit? Doesn’t seem relevant, especially considering that wasn’t Gunn or Zaslav’s work.

The Batman was in theaters for six-weeks and went straight to streaming. No film, Batman or otherwise, has ever been put in that position. $800m, with the positive fan and critical reception, makes it an undeniable hit.

It also wasn’t the first film to have Batman fight Superman, and feature the first live-action Wonder Woman, so I wouldn’t compare it to BvS.
Initial films in a new series also have more legwork to do. If you look at any successful comic book adaption, the sequel almost always makes more. There’s probably an exception out there, so whoever can find it gets a cookie, but generally speaking, that’s how it goes.
Compare it to Batman Begins instead and it paints a much different picture.

It’s almost unimaginable to think Part 2 won’t make more than part 1 made. That’s typically how it goes when you have a successful first film.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-31-2023 at 05:01 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:00 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Why does it matter when DC made the last “non-DCEU” hit?
Because this is the new DCEU. Movies they're making that are designed to fit under a particular umbrella of other movies. The last time they did this was... the old DCEU. I hope that clears it up.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:02 PM   #24
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Because this is the new DCEU. Movies they're making that are designed to fit under a particular umbrella of other movies. The last time they did this was... the old DCEU. I hope that clears it up.
Key word being “new”.

You’re saying that Swamp Thing will flop because the old DCEU was trash?
Old 01-31-2023, 05:28 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
You’re saying that Swamp Thing will flop because the old DCEU was trash?
I'm saying Swamp Thing is a D list property and -- of recent times even going back a ways -- WB has had a string of flops even with A list properties in the DCEU. Putting out a new Batman or Superman movie, there is a level of built-in audience and awareness that, say, a new Black Adam movie would not have. So not only does it have to be good, it has to be really good to even have a small chance. So while a Swamp Thing flop isn't a guarantee, it's pretty darn likely. With WB.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:35 PM   #26
AquaParade
Banned

I just don’t understand why you’re acting like WB doesn’t know how to make a hit. Furthermore why you’re placing so much weight on the old regime, when there is a brand new one.

I really think trying to frame things around the DCEU only strengthens the point that the old DCEU came from another regime. Who cares what was or wasn’t the DCEU - it all came from the same place. Nothing was established. It all felt random.

We already know that lesser-known comic characters can still make for successful films. The MCU did it before they were successful.

If the Batman and Superman films are great, and there’s no reason to automatically believe they won’t be, then that gives something like Swamp Thing a little more credibility.

Really, the hyperbole into “D-list” character is a little desperate though. He’s had two live-action films, a television series, and was written by one of the most popular comic writers of all time. Swamp Thing isn’t that obscure. You guys are talking like this is Cave Carson or Kite-Man.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:39 PM   #27
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Swamp Thing isn't a D list property. Like Aqua said Swampy is B-C list.

He has had tons of runs in comics Len Wein Alan Moore Scott Snyder and The New Swamp Thing Levi Kamai written by Ram V. Also as a member of Justice League Dark in the comics.

Not to mention 2 Movies in the 80's a short lived cartoon a live action series in the 90's than the live action one on DC Universe a few years ago that sadly got cancelled .

Not to mention various animated cameos in Batman Harley Quinn Justice League Dark Justice League Action and JLD Apokolips War.

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 02-01-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:40 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Fine, C list. And didn't Swamp Thing just have a live action TV show that didn't even last 1 season?
Old 01-31-2023, 05:42 PM   #29
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Fine, C list. And didn't Swamp Thing just have a live action TV show that didn't even last 1 season?
yes that was the DC Universe/HBOMAX show James Wan did.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:04 PM   #30
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
It’s not a negotiation lol. Swamp Thing has cred to his name.
More than Guardians of the Galaxy ever had before Gunn came along and made them stars.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:42 PM   #31
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I just don’t understand why you’re acting like WB doesn’t know how to make a hit.
Well by that logic Batman v Superman should've eclipsed the first Avengers flick by every metric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Swamp Thing isn't a D list property. Like Aqua said Swampy is B-C list.
That's a rough call, but Swamp Thing isn't even remotely a B-list property. The character had one acclaimed publication run by a top tier industry author. You're telling me that Swamp Thing would be seen by the greater fandom as upright there with the Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter?!? And you're citing an obscure animated movie cameo?!?Q Furthermore, one where the character was paraded in as a simp-joke and slowly dropped back into the swamp after being used as a Deus Ex Machina out of nowhere?

I don't know where you guys are coming from with some of this analysis. One of my favorite Marvel characters of all-time is Quasar. I have a pretty neat little Quasar collection of stuff that I've amassed over time, yet even in my absolute love for the character and secret desire to own the Quantum Bands I still would be able to admit that the character is, at best a Marvel C-Lister. I mean c'mooonnnnnnnnn....

And what's even funnier is that some people here are focusing on f'n "Swamp Thing" as their best defense when in fact this production slate is loaded with some deeper crap than even that. I love the GOTG flicks - I really do - but Gunn didn't do much else for Marvel there and let's face it - Suicide Squad didn't exactly spawn a franchise to build a universe around -ahem-.

I think Gunn can pull something together, but anyone who sees that announcement slate should be scratching their heads and not even remotely pimping it as "brilliant". Especially for "Universe" building.

Oh yeah, a DC Universe on film culminating into a "Crisis" movie featuring "Young Superman" and "Swamp Thing" rallying the characters like "Enemy Ace" in biplanes transporting the Creature Commandos and Amanda Waller into space and time against the Anti-Monitor after a stint on T.V. That's the feature film the fandom needs.... -barf-

Last edited by IMJ; 01-31-2023 at 06:50 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:48 PM   #32
AquaParade
Banned

Love Marvel. No clue who Quasar is lol. You’ve convinced me there actually are “D-list” characters, I’ll give you that.

IMJ, you didn’t even realize this slate had a DCU Batman film and you’re still out here debating about it with the attitude of a 14 year old girl. Go to bed lol.

No one’s “best defense” is Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing is just one of the topics being discussed. Man, this is elementary explanation.

I tease in jest, but c’mon. You wanna get attitude, you should at least know what you’re talking about - that’s required.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-31-2023 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:56 PM   #33
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Love Marvel. No clue who Quasar is lol. You’ve convinced me there actually are “D-list” characters, I’ll give you that.

IMJ, you didn’t even realize this slate had a DCU Batman film and you’re still out here debating about it with the attitude of a 14 year old girl. Go to bed lol.

I tease in jest, but c’mon. You wanna get attitude, you should at least know what you’re talking about - that’s required.
No I knew it. I read it earlier today that they were giving Pattman a sequel. But my point was that it wasn't on the announcement list and not originally cited here. Also, even if everyone believed that particular Batman franchise was great, it's still one off-universe, awkward addition to a complete D-List movie plan.

All I'm saying is that anyone who read this announcement and reacted like it's amazing or great news is a DC Simp or is pretending to be intellectual to comic book guys who know better. Also, telling me I should know what I'm talking about and the sole thing you've got for that is that I didn't know at an earlier time that a new Batman movie was coming is ridiculous. Having that knowledge wouldn't change a single point I've made here. "Oh okay they added a Pattinson Batman sequel... well that cements it, Gunn is brilliant".

Last edited by IMJ; 01-31-2023 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:57 PM   #34
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
No I knew it. I read it earlier today that they were giving Pattman a sequel. But my point was that it wasn't on the announcement list and not originally cited here. Also, even if everyone believed that particular Batman franchise was great, it's still one off-universe, awkward addition to a complete D-List movie plan.

All I'm saying is that anyone who read this announcement and reacted like it's amazing or great news is a DC Simp or is pretending to be intellectual to comic book guys who know better.
Wow.

You still don’t know.

All you are indicating is that you don’t do your research before talking out your butt, dude. This “anyone who reads this announcement and…” is a thinly veiled insult coming from someone who has no clue what they’re talking about lol.

It’s also just embarrassing - “pretending to be intellectual to comic book guys who know better” - Man, what circles do you hang around in that has you thinking people behave this way? No one does this, but it sounds eerily close to projection.

“The Brave and the Bold” is a Batman movie, set in the DCU. It’s on the slate, as seen in the first post.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-31-2023 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:01 PM   #35
Galactus
Foot Elite

Y'know when they were cancelling everything left right and center I grudgingly accepted it was for the best. There were some aspects of the DCEU that worked but overall it's seen as a tainted brand by joe public and really the best thing to do would be to reboot the whole thing. Just say whatever happens at the end of Flashpoint starts a whole new DCEU. I would have personally tried to keep most of the actors but it's seems the rumours were true that Affleck wasn't interested in anything beyond cameos and Cavill wanted more money than WB thought he was worth. Plus you have to assume that they may not be willing to commit to another ten year plan. Thus starting completely from scratch was the way to go.

I assumed they'd keep things simple:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Justice League

If that worked then in Phase 2 you can add a deeper cut like Swamp Thing. This just seems way too ambitious for a brand that needs to regain the public's confidence.

Last edited by Galactus; 01-31-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:11 PM   #36
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
“The Brave and the Bold” is a Batman movie, set in the DCU. It’s on the slate, as seen in the first post.
I shouldn't be proud of this, but it's very likely that I actually own more Brave and the Bold comic books than you do. Unless you are a hardcore DC guy of some kind.

You don't know that a Brave and the Bold movie would actually feature "Batman" in this climate. Additionally, it would be another ensemble movie and not necessarily a Batman vehicle dude.

It's a low tier slate, missing their strongest I.P.'s and with much slated for television. It's not exciting. But I understand you like and somehow identify with Swamp Thing. So I'm excited for you considering that's your thing... Swamp Thing. With a name like Aquaparade I'd have thought you'd like fishy characters, but I guess moss. Moss is your thing. Slowly moving moss from a one trick pony director announcing a $#!( slate of movies. Buy that ticket.

I'll wait for a trailer, but right now this seems like a planned flop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Plus you have to assume that they may not be willing to commit to another ten year plan. Thus starting completely from scratch was the way to go.
Yeah I mean... on those merits that's a solid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I assumed they'd keep things simple:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Justice League

If that worked then in Phase 2 you can add a deeper cut like Swamp Thing. This just seems way too ambitious for a brand that needs to regain the public's confidence.
Maybe they are "subverting expectations". You know... like The Last Jedi. The kind of thing were most regular people are left scratching their heads, but a bunch of coffee-shop-guru-yuppies, balding and wearing thick-rimmed glasses and black sweaters would think it was great as if it was a one-off artfilm. Actually, now I can see why Aqua is excited about this....

Last edited by IMJ; 01-31-2023 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:12 PM   #37
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I shouldn't be proud of this, but it's very likely that I actually own more Brave and the Bold comic books than you do. Unless you are a hardcore DC guy of some kind.

You don't know that a Brave and the Bold movie would actually feature "Batman" in this climate. Additionally, it would be another ensemble movie and not necessarily a Batman vehicle dude.

It's a low tier slate, missing their strongest I.P.'s and with much slated for television. It's not exciting. But I understand you like and somehow identify with Swamp Thing. So I'm excited for you considering that's your thing... Swamp Thing. With a name like Aquaparade I'd have thought you'd like fishy characters, but I guess moss. Moss is your thing. Slowly moving moss from a one trick pony director announcing a $#!( slate of movies. Buy that ticket.

I'll wait for a trailer, but right now this seems like a planned flop.
It’s already been confirmed that it’s about Batman. Holy crap, dude lol. Put down the keyboard and do your research.

I thought we’d have to wait a few years, but this thread is already gold.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:36 PM   #38
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Though truthfully, BvS cost a **** more to make and sunk like a rock in the following weeks. TDKR followed one of the biggest movies of all time in TDK.

The Batman came off the stink of those terrible Snyder films while doing its own thing in a time too where theater attendance wasn't a surefire thing if your movie wasn't Marvel.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:46 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

To sum up the announcements: a Superman movie we already knew about, a Supergirl movie, a Batman movie -- sort of, a Green Lantern show we already knew about, and then a bunch of weird The Suicide Squad-level sh**.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:51 PM   #40
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

DC has always kind of sucked anyway, so this ain't no sweat off my back ... but again, a horror-esque Swamp Thing and Superman redo sounds fun.

Tags
aquaparade goes nuts