The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
JPP
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingclang View Post
I just finished it and have to say, I liked it. I didn't love it, but it was good. Am I the only one who felt like it was a huge build-up to a "meh" ending? I had expected more, it wasn't bad, I just felt like it was gonna be a huge ending.
I felt the same way. It didn't feel like anything really got accomplished at the end of the arc. The conclusion felt predictable at best with no solid resolution to the conflict that had been building. Yeah Bebop and Rocksteady were finally mutated, Casey got a couple of shots in on his dad, and Slash got a couple new digs, but overall I wasn't blown away by this. For something that lasted 7 issues, there were about 2 that felt like filler until the next month's issue. With that kind of suspense building it felt like the ball got dropped for any real resolution in this final book.

Last edited by JPP; 11-28-2013 at 12:33 PM.
JPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Pretty sure the team made "City Fall" as gritty and violent as they were allowed to, so I can't fault them. I really wish Nick/Viacom would bugger off when it comes to what's supposed to be a comic for a somewhat older audience than the Nicktoon. They shouldn't be ashamed of the Turtles' roots.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #43
909 Turtle Fan
Hench Mutant

Man, Leo's got issues. I got 2k3 flashbacks when splinter called shredder a demon. Kinda funny how the best way to stop bebop & rocksteady is to drop something heavy on them, its like a shout out to the OT. Where were the foot soldiers during the brawl and wsup with kitsune and that look she had on her face? I gotta say Hob is freakin cool as ice. Bring on the shredder micro!

"Breath in the smoke, Oroku Saki, and meditate. Open your mind and all will become clear."-Kitsune, SHotFC #3

"You know what, you're not Leonardo, you're a member of the foot clan. you are a foot clan member! you're not just a member, you're Danny! you're that punk b*tch Danny!"
-Adam, workaholics, teenage mutant ninja roommates
909 Turtle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I will say I've come to like Old Hob a lot more now that's become more of a fully realized character.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #45
the_soub
Foot Soldier

Like many other's I thought it was good, but not great. Kind of anti-climactic.

I feel like it was one panel shy of being really good. For all of the build up, having something substantial happen, would have been a nice pay off.

Any one of the following things could have happened, and I feel that the issue/arc would have been better for it:

Spoiler:
-Shredder kills Karai
-Donatello loses a hand(then replaced with the Gravity gauntlet)
-Casey saves Angel, but as a direct result Hun is killed
-Raph seriously kicks Leo's shell (I was expecting a sai through the shoulder or something
-Splinter is crippled
the_soub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #46
corvus
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soub View Post
-Shredder kills Karai
-Donatello loses a hand(then replaced with the Gravity gauntlet)
-Casey saves Angel, but as a direct result Hun is killed
-Raph seriously kicks Leo's shell (I was expecting a sai through the shoulder or something
-Splinter is crippled
You don't need to put spoiler tags on something that didn't happen. Shredder killing Karai, that'd be um, really unexpected and not make much sense, Casey killing a freshly introduced and highly anticipated a
character would really piss people off, Dons hand? I could dig that, more brutality in the Leo/Raph fight? I think that's a censorship thing but I'd dig thy too, splinter was pretty badly damaged but being crippled would be a bit much.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've been buying and skimming the past couple months. Does anyone actually die in "City Fall"?
You've just been flipping through the pages without actually sitting down and reading it then? Couldn't you do the same thing in the comic store and save yourself $4?

I'm waiting for the trades myself so I can't comment on the story yet.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #48
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Anyone else think upon first glance, that
Spoiler:
Shredder had cut off Splinter's tail, rather than break his leg
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #49
the_soub
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus View Post
You don't need to put spoiler tags on something that didn't happen. Shredder killing Karai, that'd be um, really unexpected and not make much sense, Casey killing a freshly introduced and highly anticipated a
character would really piss people off, Dons hand? I could dig that, more brutality in the Leo/Raph fight? I think that's a censorship thing but I'd dig thy too, splinter was pretty badly damaged but being crippled would be a bit much.
Karai went behind Shredder's back in creating B&R along with everything else. And I didn't mean that Casey would kill Hun, just that he would have to choose between Angel and his dad in who he saves. (which is what I thought happened initially)

But yah, in short. It needed something bigger in the conclusion.
the_soub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #50
corvus
Stone Warrior

Eh. I liked the climax. Big fight involving a ton of mutants, big betrayals and revelations.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #51
Casey
Stone Warrior

Question

So, when Alopex lashes out at The Shredder yelling about her family, is this saying she is reincarnated from Yoshi's crew? I was a little thrown off. Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #52
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
So, when Alopex lashes out at The Shredder yelling about her family, is this saying she is reincarnated from Yoshi's crew? I was a little thrown off. Thoughts?
No. Alopex was a normal fox before. Shredder took her to the forest where he found her and had it burned down, including her original family of non-mutated foxes. It was some sort of test of loyalty or like, saying you're leaving your family and past behind when you join the Foot. Alopex obviously didn't see it that way.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #53
pingclang
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP View Post
I felt the same way. It didn't feel like anything really got accomplished at the end of the arc. The conclusion felt predictable at best with no solid resolution to the conflict that had been building. Yeah Bebop and Rocksteady were finally mutated, Casey got a couple of shots in on his dad, and Slash got a couple new digs, but overall I wasn't blown away by this. For something that lasted 7 issues, there were about 2 that felt like filler until the next month's issue. With that kind of suspense building it felt like the ball got dropped for any real resolution in this final book.
Been busy so a bit late in replying but yeah, exactly. I think Andrew had a good point with it being only as violent as Nick will let it get and so instead of the huge brawl we were expecting we got a quick couple of bouts and the Turtles fleeing. There isn't much development other than Leo's problems so I'm hoping that Northampton will bring some sort of resolutions to some of the things developing in City Fall. I did really like the book it just wasn't the mindblow I was hoping for. Not the creative teams fault, just my own expectations I guess.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #54
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Really loved this issue.
Spoiler:
I am happy to see karia being rewarded for her faithfullness to the foot. Its interesting how shredder defines family. I am also wondering where ALopex will go from here???She is hands down my favorite "new" from IDW. Also I am loving slash's action scenes!!

Cant wait for the North Hampton arc. I am wondering if Ross will deliver on his art sense he has had so much practice (Fan comic) drawing the turtles. His cover looks awesome!
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #55
Cipher
Foot Elite

Like others, I could've done with a little more oomph here. Unlike others, although this is a further issue with the story line, this is the kind of ending I foresaw months ago, and was only vaguely hoping we might avoid. When it came down to 22-pages left for a fight, it was clear we weren't getting much. Dark Leo petered into exactly what you'd expect (Shredder only wanting to test Karai and break the Turtles), the characters gathered for a fight (as expected), and the Turtles were forced away while still not being hit with any devastating impact.

Unfortunately, only Alopex's actions came as a surprise, as I expected that plot line to simmer a bit longer. I was also unsure how Casey and Hun's interaction would play out, but it looks as if they've been broken up and Hun put squarely in the villains camp sooner rather than later. For the best, I suppose.

As a storyline, it falls a little limp, especially in comparison to the frenetic, unpredictable "Secret History of the Foot Clan," before it (something I only find better upon revisits). On the other hand, only Dark Leo was an utter failure as a subplot, the rest of the events were largely interesting, the fight this issue was enjoyable, and, as DrSpengler pointed out, the entire board of lingering plots has been wiped clean. The series should be much more exciting and unpredictable now that this second act (if #1-12 was the first) is over.

There was a lot to enjoy about this particular issue as well. Bebop and Rocksteady are great (and foot in my mouth for harping on their first preview pages), provided a credible threat to the Turtles, and continued their characterizations as totally despicable people from their Micro-Series issue. To hell with Shredder and Krang, who come across as too cartoonishly supervillainous in comparison (sorry, Tom, the end of this arc has done nothing to mitigate that particular criticism) - Karai and her mutants are truly miserable, and I look forward to seeing more of them as villains in the future.

Last edited by Cipher; 11-30-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #56
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Like others, On the other hand, only Dark Leo was an utter failure as a subplot, the rest of the events were largely interesting,
I agree completely I loved Dark Leo and I dont think we got nearly enough of him, I would have liked to have seen him stay dark at least to the end of the North Hamptom ark. Another thing I did not like is the fact the made dark Leo weaker when in fact he should have stronger than his regular personna especially sense he is not held back by the code and expections splinter set for him, as shredder lets him fight as he pleases.

Other than that this arc was great.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #57
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior

Even though he was in every micro during this arc, I would have liked to see a Dark Leo villains micro.
Dirty Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #58
Powder
So tired of this place

Underwhelming. Great art, dull story.

I most enjoyed Slash's brief contributions, such as saving Casey's ass and getting Leo's gear.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #59
Cipher
Foot Elite

You know what would have made Dark Leo work?

1) Had he actually done something irredeemable

or

2) Had he not been brainwashed

And even then, jeez, did this arc really need that at all? Karai's frustrations and acceptance were interesting, but they could have been achieved in so many other ways.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

I tend to think Dark Leo was inspired by that one episode of the 4kids cartoon where Oroku Saki tried to lure Leonardo into joining him and thinking he was on the good side...pretty sure it was in, "Shredder Strikes" from Season 1.

Given Tom has obviously watched a good chunk of 4kids it wouldn't surprise me.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city fall, tom waltz