The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-30-2022, 03:48 PM   #381
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
I see what you are doing. Nice try.
what am i doing? it looks genuinely terrible.

edit: to add, i mean no offense to anyone. if you find it really cool and are excited for it, power to you, i'm glad you're happy.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:50 PM   #382
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i'm really excited for more mirage from neca. i'm just holding out hope that neca goes back to its 2008 sculpting and painting standards for this line, or i won't be able to support it. there's been a steady, noticeable decline in quality over the years.
i've been making this point pretty consistently for a while now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neca-mirage-paint-quality.jpg (20.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 09-30-2022, 04:30 PM   #383
Roseangelo
Emperor

This Walmart thing just sounds like even more hassle than buying these figures already was.

I'm glad I've noped out of most of these. Although I do think I'll the the Lawson turtles. They need to be encouraged to make other Turtles. I need Farley Turtles!
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:57 PM   #384
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
The "animated highlights" need more subtlety on that one. Even if only a little to still capture the feel of the b&w Mirage books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
This Walmart thing just sounds like even more hassle than buying these figures already was.

I'm glad I've noped out of most of these. Although I do think I'll the the Lawson turtles
I feel the same.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:40 PM   #385
italianice388
Stone Warrior

yeah. if you compare this b&w shredder side by side with the 2008 b&w turtles, it's literally night and day. they look like they were made by two completely different companies.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:29 PM   #386
Dask
Stone Warrior

Quote:
yeah. if you compare this b&w shredder side by side with the 2008 b&w turtles, it's literally night and day. they look like they were made by two completely different companies.
That's definitely true but I don't understand why people don't seem to realize that it is the 2020 mirage (blue) "shadow" Shredder that came in Loot Crate but with the new black and white deco. Same exact line work/shading (exact same weapons). The only difference is that the mirage (blue) "shadow" Shredder was negatively received while this B&W variant is universally praised (at least based on early reception).

One can make a case that the line work works better for the 2020 mirage shredder because he is supposed to be hidden in the shadows/alleyway and somewhat obscured from view but this new B&W Shredder should have less intense line work to emulate that of the B&W mirage TMNT set.

Last edited by Dask; 09-30-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:55 PM   #387
italianice388
Stone Warrior

totally hear you, and you're 100% right that this is just the white version of the loot crate shredder.

the issue isn't about the amount of black on him, though. it's about the haphazard crosshatching style. there's no logic to it.

let me break it down via art theory so i don't come across as just providing a subjective contrarian opinion.
i really strongly feel that there's some genuine objectivity to my criticism here. the hatching doesn't follow a light source. the line weights are wildly inconsistent and occasionally just blobs altogether. crosshatching and shading is supposed to follow the shapes and contours of the body and clothing--these don't; they're just...everywhere. They imply depth and form that isn't and shouldn't be there. There's no subtlety and no nuance. No easing into transitions from light to dark, just black, and then white.

simply put, the designer who was responsible for the deco on this figure is simply more inexperienced than the designer who did the 2008 figures. That's immediately apparent.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #388
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
agreed those 2008 figures still haven't been topped for me.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:28 PM   #389
Dask
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
agreed those 2008 figures still haven't been topped for me.
It's a bit subjective and a matter of style. While I have the 2008 "bobble head" TMNTs (the bootlegs and pretty damn good bootlegs at that), I would prefer the upcoming Lawson design (or even Michael Dooney for that matter). So, a Lawson TMNT set would easily best the classic set for me for purely stylistic reasons. Heck, even the IDW, to be honest.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:00 AM   #390
Otter
Stone Warrior

Wait... Walmart exclusives? I though the Mirage line was supposed to be available through specialty retailers.

Not. Happy. Jan.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:27 PM   #391
mikey0
Foot Elite

More Mirage Walmart exclusives on the way: https://mobile.twitter.com/TMNTturtl...CivYO5xOIrAAAA

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/...Ci6cX6w-IrAAAA

Last edited by mikey0; 10-03-2022 at 01:25 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #392
Otter
Stone Warrior

So the figure you get is allocated randomly?
I'm hoping this is all a bit like Haulathon and the Fugitoid, and that blue Renet will be available at BBTS later.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:21 PM   #393
Dask
Stone Warrior

So odd.

Apparently, the core colors (maroon Casey, blue Renet) are limited, yet the "limited edition" (as far as comic book appearances are concerned) variants are plentiful at specialty stores (e.g. BBTS, EE etc.). This is some not-so-intuitive logic. Either way, I like both head sculpts for Renet and Casey so I have no problem with double dipping.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #394
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
So odd.

Apparently, the core colors (maroon Casey, blue Renet) are limited, yet the "limited edition" (as far as comic book appearances are concerned) variants are plentiful at specialty stores (e.g. BBTS, EE etc.). This is some not-so-intuitive logic. Either way, I like both head sculpts for Renet and Casey so I have no problem with double dipping.
I can't make up my mind if I prefer Renet in blue or red from an aesthetic point-of-view, but I definitely think classic blue should have been the "main" figure. I hate that IDW's shoddy "Color Classics" are now more canon than the Mirage-intended color palettes.

I like the idea of a fan collector/photographer/videographer creating a Renet Red&Blue storyline to mimic the infamous Superman Red&Blue comic book arc from around 1998.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:01 AM   #395
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
If the properly colored Renet and Casey figures are exclusive and hard to get, I'm going to scream. Please tell me the colors these characters should have been from the get go aren't going to be a pain to obtain.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:04 PM   #396
mikey0
Foot Elite

B/W Foot Ninja and Renet (Blue Version) in package: https://mobile.twitter.com/FwooshVee...C81ZnFm-UrAAAA
Old 10-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #397
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior

Okay, so, apparently the Walmart thing starts tomorrow morning? Does anyone know how exactly this is going to work? It sounds even more confusing than the Haul-a-thon and Geek-a-thon stuff that Target was doing.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:07 AM   #398
Otter
Stone Warrior

Yeah... I need that blue Renet.

If anyone is keen to help a brother out...
Old 10-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #399
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior

Link to blue Renet: [link]
Old 10-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #400
mikey0
Foot Elite

Mirage Turtles at NYCC: https://mobile.twitter.com/preternia...DUqZiWpeYrAAAA

https://mobile.twitter.com/preternia...CgwbHipeYrAAAA