The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Biden?
Absolutely. 1 8.33%
Kind of. 2 16.67%
No. 3 25.00%
What an absurd speech! 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2022, 08:53 AM   #21
Powder
So tired of this place

Greg sure loves this place.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:00 PM   #22
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Americans don't show their ID before voting? How can they confirm whether you've already voted or not, then? And don't you worry someone might use your name and thus prevent you from voting?
How my state and local poll does it... yes you need some form of ID, but it's not a special voter ID. People can use a license, but of course not everyone drives so they may not have one. In those cases there are other options, such as their social security card.

We also have to sign by our name in a list so that no one can try to vote twice or someone else attempting to use someone else's identity would be prevented. And the system has signatures on file, so the one (and probably only) time my state actually did mail-in votes in 2020 it had to be verified against that and could see online when it was approved.

Also, we were not just sent ballots, we had to request them and include the info they required in order to get it.

Quote:
And what's with it being racist? Do black people in USA not have IDs/Drivers Licenses?! Of course they do. So what's the problem here, really?
As I said, there are plenty of people who don't drive, including many seniors, and not all communities have good bus service. And since the DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles) is the only place to get a license or a similar looking basic non-driver ID, it presents a problem when locations are very few, often not close to home, aren't easy to get over to during open hours when people have other obligations, esp the poorer people who can't afford to just forfeit part of their paycheck by taking off for the day to go to the DMV because once there people also are often left waiting for a LONG time.

I don't think the ID issue itself is specifically racist, but when you need to go get one the accessibility has hurdles that complicate it for people, esp poorer people and just how it works out in this country, plenty of them are minorities.

I'm not against voter ID, I don't see a problem with it. But if it is insisted upon, I do however see a problem with states not making it as easy as possible to ensure that every registered voter is able to obtain one without having to jump through hurdles that negatively impact their own daily lives.

I don't think it would be hard or asking too much to set up events in libraries and other locations closer to people's homes during election years to give people easier and faster access to getting an ID if they need one. This would especially help seniors who don't drive and have little to no public transit access (my mom's widowed non-driving friend in Iowa being one such case) or are uncomfortable using it.

That said, I don't think this recent feather ruffling was even over IDs itself and just over being on board with protecting the right to vote in general and against actions that unnecessarily making it harder in some communities.

Some areas of some states, including places in Georgia, have had complaints about people closing down polling places, making it harder to get to a designated place to vote, making lines longer, etc.. and supposedly a lot of where that has been happening is in areas with higher minority populations, so take that for what you will.

Closing those polling places only creates longer lines and complications come voting day, because like trying to get to the DMV when some people have to choose to forfeit some of their income in order to go do it... election day is always on a weekday. (You'd think we'd just make it a federal holiday.) SOME states do early voting that can give people some more time to get it done, but many do not. In mine, you either get over there and do it ON election day or you don't get a voice.

In my voting district our polling place is always right nearby, but if it was closed...I can see why that would become an issue for unnecessarily trying to make it harder for residents to just go do it and be done.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The trouble is that even illegal (and legal but not citizen) immigrants can get IDs and driver's licenses. Like, every one I've ever known has gotten one no problem.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:26 PM   #24
mrmaczaps
Banned

Not to mention you HAVE to show a photo id (at least around here) to get vaxxed.... but showing id is racist. Give me a fvcking break.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:27 AM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Greg sure loves this place.
Hey now, THERE'S a thinker! Completely different posting style but I suppose that's not altogether impossible that someone could go there if they had to. Interesting pick!

But no, I love me a good political circle-jerk and everything but that's not the main reason I come here. When a person comes here JUST for that, exclusively, and makes it literally their entire raison d'etre I can't help but be like "Yo... why?"

Like, it'd be like trying to win over hearts and minds on the LordsOfPain wrestling forum. Not a good use of resources. Even if the person has valid points to make they're kinda not doing the world any good by espousing them in that specific venue.

((shrug)) People be bored, I guess.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote