The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

(Deep Breaths)

Okay.

First of all, I just want to make sure everyone knows that my opinions are mine, and mine alone, and I don't intend any disrespect at all towards anyone whose opinion differs from mine.

Now, that said: Are you people on crack?

I'm sorry. I am. Really. I know you're not (or at least, you shouldn't be). But after this issue, this book officially *sucks*. I've been patient, understanding, even supportive of Laird's "slow burn" storytelling style that people seem to dislike at times. I've put up with Lawson's mediocre (to be kind) artwork. I have been a TMNT fan since 1988, have every DVD, almost all of the video games, a crapload of the toys... hell, I even own a copy of the "Coming Out of Their Shells" album that I PAID for. Furthermore, I own almost every single TMNT comic ever, Mirage, Archie and Image, with the exception of about maybe 8 of them. Point is, I've been a TMNT fan my whole life, and TMNT is something that is very, *very* important to me. It's in my blood, whether or not I bother to pop in and make comments about things at times. And those of you that know me well know I have a tendency to be very outspoken when it comes to things I'm passionate about.

And I have never... *never*... seen a TMNT storyline so asinine, so pointless, so mind-numbingly stupid and insulting to the intelligence of every single reader as this issue. The worst part? I CALLED IT. Check a few posts back. I mentioned the possibility simply b/c it was so asinine an idea, surely they would *never* do that, would they? But they DID. Not only that, but apparently it's been planned for quite some time. Dumb. Dumb, dumb, DUMB. Reading this issue, I felt like the Joker in Tim Burton's "Batman", flipping through Vicki Vale's portfolio: "Crap. Crap, Crap. Crap, Crap, Crap..." There was nothing at all redeeming about this issue for me, only frustration and aggravation.

And you know what the kicker was? It wasn't even in the issue itself; it was at the end of the lettercol, when Laird was bashing the new "Star Wars" flick, saying how it was full of "wasted potential", "blown opportunities", and saying he wished someone would be standing next to George Lucas so they could slap him occasionally and say "George, that is just stupid".

Excuse me, Mr. Peter Laird? A.K.A. "The Pot"? I have The Kettle holding for you on Line One? He just called to say you're black.

THIS BOOK is the epitome of "wasted potential" and "blown opportunities", far beyond whatever minor grievances anyone may have had with the Star Wars prequels. And now, this "revelation" about April's origin? What I wouldn't give to be Mr. Laird's personal assistant, just so *I* could slap *him* upside the head and say, "Pete, *that* is just stupid."

Ever since Vol. 4 started, Laird has never made it a secret that he's doing the book for his own gratification and not the fans, and more power to him. But come ON already. There's a REASON why Mirage loses money on this book, and it's because people DON'T BUY IT. And they don't buy it because it's NOT what TMNT fans want. Think about it. Put personal bias and love for TMNT aside, scroll back over some of our own posts over the past few years about this book and you'll realize that even some of the biggest supporters of it don't love it; they're just cautiously optimistic about it possibly getting better. And that's bad. And it's because there isn't anything to love about a book with horrible art and a story that isn't going anywhere. "Fallen Angel" was a great book and it got cancelled, and it had way more readers than TMNT.

Folks, if this is all Laird has to offer us, then we're in trouble.

Don't get me wrong, man, I'm not one of the "haters" (even though it sounds like it). I *love* the TMNT, and I desperately, passionately want something to come out of this new book that has even a fraction of the spark that made each and every one of us a TMNT fan to begin with. And aside from issue 1, Vol. 4 hasn't even come close. "Tales", yes. That book I do like. Why? Because it's the TMNT we remember, doing things we want to see, not unnecessary crap like April's "secret origin".

My solution? Put Dooney on pencils and have Lawson write the book (just keep him away from anything resembling a drawing tool). Peter Laird? Let him approve all scripts and count his money and be happy with it, because if this is where his "grand vision" for the TMNT is taking us, well, I'm sorry Pete, but I'll take Episode I, II, II, hell, the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy over issue 22 ANY day of the f***ing week.

Of course, since I am, above all, a TMNT loyalist, I'll still be buying the book each and every issue regardless, because I love the TMNT and want them to succeed. I do *not* want this book to be cancelled, I just want it to be *good*. I know it'll never be "great", since there's no chance of Jeph Loeb or Geoff Johns or... well, anyone with both a crisp writing style and an understanding of what fans want ever coming onto the book. But right now, it's not good. It's stupid. The only plotline that had any intrigue, the Leo/Karai/Foot subplot, got pushed so far into the background I wonder if it'll ever get resolved. Knowing it got pushed aside to make room for this dreck makes me even more angry.

But whatever. I know it won't matter, since Laird makes it a point to tell anyone who disagrees with him what an idiot they are. Yeah, you'll get my money every month, pal, but I ain't happy about it.

Once again, I apologize to anyone who disagrees. If you can find something worthwhile in this April story, you truly are a much better man than I. I'll just go back to reading Teen Titans, Superman/Batman, JLA... you know, books that make me *enjoy* reading comics, not pissed off at them.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #22
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

At least you were honest, dude.

Quote:
Excuse me, Mr. Peter Laird? A.K.A. "The Pot"? I have The Kettle holding for you on Line One? He just called to say you're black.
Classic.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:10 PM   #23
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656
Lots Stuff.
Ya know, man, that was actually a really good analasys and nicely written. Honestly, cut n' paste that and e-mail it to the letters collumn. Let Laird read it. What's the worst that could happen? He might make fun of you in his letter collumn or something but hey, at least he'll know what you think.

Anyway, I happen to agree with a lot of what you said (particularly the hypocracy of his Star Wars comments, I noticed that too). So really, send that post to him. It might do some good.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:15 PM   #24
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

That was a very profound post Leo656. I got the comic on Friday and I thought it was average. I didn't like the fact that it was like a story. I wish the characters had speech bubbles. Spider-Man's origin didn't have narration on the sides of the pages like April's did. The narration on the sides of the pages really reduces the sizes of the pictures. I just wish Laird coulda had the comic where the characters had speech bubbles and the pictures took up a whole page. It woulda been better that way so the reader wouldn't have to read as many words. Besides Spider-Man:Chapter One this is one of the worst comics I've ever read. It woulda been better if the Turtles were in it. There was no reason for April's origin to be explained. It shoulda just been left alone and the origin shoulda been the same like it was for Old Toon and New Toon April. I hope next month's issue will be better. I'm lookin' forward to it.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?

Last edited by cowabunga14; 06-27-2005 at 12:39 PM.
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #25
Raphael29
Thug

Quote:
There was no reason for April's origin to be explained. It shoulda just been left alone and the origin shoulda been the same like it was for Old Toon and New Toon April.
That's one of the main reasons why I don't like the new toon, because it is completely different from the old, when I first heard there was going to be a new toon I was excited and thought that is was about time for the TMNT TV show to continue, little did I know that it was in fact a brand new show, completely different then the old toon, the only thing remotely similar to the old toon are the names of the characters, even shredders's character was completely changed, I mean TMNT should have been left as one big long show, not two seperate ones. I don't mind the fact that the animation is different, or that they are trying to explore new storylines, I think that's great and I commend them for it, I don't even mind them changing the characters personalities to a point, but making shredder an alien and making the turtles personalites completely different is crossing the line for me and I think making the new show seperate from the old show was a mistake.

Raphael29
Raphael29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:36 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

Y'know what? I have thought about writing an Email to Pete speaking for the large and growing group of fans who are dissatisfied with this book, and I still may, but I haven't yet simply because not only do I not expect a response with any more thought or insight than his standard "If you don't like it, don't read it" line, but furthermore, part of me actually thinks that if Laird was met with a very vocal, particularly venomous critic who can actually form an argument better than "OMG this book sux y arnt Bibbop n Rockstedy n it wtf???", that he'd say "You know what, the hell with it" and cancel the book outright.

Think it can't happen? Why not? He's already shown in the past two years that he's horrible at handling criticism, even small, valid criticism. Some people think the art is bad. Some people think it's outright garbage. Some people think the storyline is too slow-moving. Their opinions are just as valid as anyone who loves Lawson's art or Laird's pacing. Laird's response to those critics is always some insult-ridden garbage calling someone a "moron" or something equally witty, then telling them how he "owes the fans nothing" and can do whatever he wants. Nice attitude. I mean, who are we to criticize, anyway? We only made the guy rich, right? How DARE we not share his vision as creator for these characters we all used to love until we all became a bunch of idiots who nitpick over every little thing? (voice absolutely dripping with sarcasm)

Part of it is because, I think, Laird never had to defend himself from criticism from his *fans* before. It was always from some wacko soccer mom whose son whacked his kid sister with rubber nunchucks or some crap like that. Now his own fans are turning on him, and he can't take it. Well with all due respect, if you give us, the fans, a reason to be happy, we will BE happy. A large, outspoken group has sent him letters, emails, etc. since Vol. 4 started, telling him what we want to see, and his reply is always the same: "Good for you, duly noted, but it's my book and if you don't like it go take a leap." Not in those exact words, but think about it. Re-read his asinine rants that he loves to pack the lettercol pages with, and you'll see that he's only *thisclose* to outright telling the fans to go f*ck themselves if they don't *love* what he does to death.

And since we're all just thrilled to have the TMNT in some form, ANY form we can get, nobody says anything *too* negative to Laird directly, and the ones that do usually can't put together any kind of reasonable argument. Meanwhile, there are plenty of normal, intelligent TMNT fans who dislike (or even hate) this book, but are afraid to say so, in the lettercol or even on these boards, because as these nameless individuals have admitted on very rare occasions, they're afraid too much fan whining will make Pete take his TMNT toys and go home, effectively killing TMNT for good. And the way he acts, it doesn't seem too farfetched, and that I think pisses me off more than anything.

I respect Pete Laird. As a creator, an artist, and for co-creating the TMNT, I respect him very much. But as a person, he strikes me as a self-righteous, egotistical, thin-skinned hypocrite who can't handle any kind of criticism, be it personal or professional. "Waaah, some guy made fun of me for riding my Segway"... Dude, it's because of the simple fact that, no offense, *anyone* who rides a Segway looks like an idiot, it ain't personal, and we do NOT need a 27 page diatribe about people needing to be more tolerant, especially coming from a guy who calls someone an idiot if they say Jim Lawson can't draw. So, that said, do I respect Peter Laird? Absolutely, on a purely professional level. Do I like him? Aside from not knowing him personally, I must say he honestly seems like a real ass, and the fact that he doesn't seem to realize it is what cracks me up the most.

So while I might yet (and probably will) Email the lettercol, I'm not expecting a huge impact, or even anything other than being called a moron. But I would honestly hate being the guy who dissed Laird too hard to his "face" and had him pull the plug b/c of it. So if I do, I'll definitely re-word some things... *maybe* not accuse him of smoking crack, etc etc.

For me, a simple solution would be this: If Peter Laird is insistent on having *his* unadulterated vision of the TMNT out there for us to read, let him put it on the site as a webcomic, and leave the monthly book to people with a better grasp of what the fans want, and allow it to be called "canon", because I don't think it's unfair to say that the book is, in its current form, a ripoff. Four bucks for a black n white comic with mediocre artwork and a story that moves so slowly I think it's crawling backwards, with storylines that I don't think any fan was particularly *wanting* to see, but instead are content to "wait and see where it goes" and hope it gets better... No, it's not worth it. But I will keep buying it, no matter how much Laird tries to rationalize the "don't like it don't buy it" argument. Because while I don't love this book, I *do* love the TMNT. I love the TMNT *so* much that I will continue to pay money month after month buying a book that right now is at the very bottom of my reading pile (unlike "Tales" which is so very, very much better), because as a fan I feel a deep, innate need to do everything in my power to keep this franchise alive, even if it means buying a book that I almost find no redeeming value in. If it makes no sense to you all, fine, but to me it's the least I can do.

(Heavy sigh) I just want to have a TMNT comic that I can show to people - old fans who fell out of it, new fans getting into it, people who never heard of it - and be able to say "This is the ultimate, pure, most iconic version of the TMNT, and everyone should read it". And this book is NOT it, even with the co-creator writing it. And I'm sorry, but that's a serious problem.

Again, feel free to disagree, I mean maybe there's something I'm not "getting", some hidden depth or something to Vol. 4, but I can't for the life of me see it. I managed to get "For Tomorrow" in the Superman comic to make sense; I even managed to enjoy it. I can't enjoy this book. The "Super-Turtles" story seemed corny and tacked-on, Raph's "HULK SMASH!!!" hyper-mutation has everybody saying "well, hopefully it'll be over soon", and Splinter's big death scene had all the buildup and emotional impact of the episode of "Family Guy" when they open the door to greet Lois's Great Aunt, and the old bag just keels over dead. Now this "revelation" about April completely out of left field, which takes the cake as, IMO, THE worst Turtles idea ever. Worse than Venus. Worse than Donnie becoming a cyborg, or Splinter becoming a bat. It HAS to be worse, b/c this time, the *creator* of the Turtles is the one feeding us this sh*t.

And make no mistake, sh*t is sh*t, no matter how much ice cream you put on top of it.

Once again, I'm sorry if I've insulted anyone or their opinions. I know there are people who feel just as passionately as I do for the other side, and that's fine. I can deal with that, because I'm not paying *them* four bucks every few weeks for the abuse.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:49 PM   #27
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

Well, what can I say, Leo656? You get what you pay for.

But I agree with everything you're stating out. This is not the pure TMNT we've grown to love. I don't even read the comics, but I know this for a fact. Call it a sixth sense.

I mean, how can you have an issue of the TMNT *without* the TMNT? That's like watching an episode of Martin where he's nowhere in sight, only to kill him off in the next one.

And April's 'secret' origin? Laird should've just kept it at being Baxter's lab assistant. Maybe throw in a college graduation if he wanted to get technical, and just leave it at that.

I don't know. Perhaps the pressures of success is finally getting to him...

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:54 PM   #28
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Nah, man, you shouldn't appologize for your opinion. Not when you form it into a rational, intelligent arguement like that, anyway.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about being "the guy that pushed Laird over the edge" or anything. Even if he does cancel Volume 4 I doubt many people would be amazingly upset.

Now Tales, I'd miss. Volume 4? Not so much.

Even then, we'd still have the cartoon (which I doubt even he has the power to pull the plug on). While I some-what enjoyed #22 (I didn't think it was as bad as it could've been) your complaints are all perfectly valid; so yeah, I pretty much agree that volume 4 has been either dead-average or mind-numbingly terrible. And like you, I'll keep paying $4 bucks for a mediocre book simply because I want to do my part to keep TMNT afloat. So I guess, in a way, we're as much to blame for the problems with volume 4 as Laird is. We may complain but we keep paying for it and that's encouragement enough for Laird to keep writing "his vision" no matter how much hatemail he might receive. But I guess in some masochistic way, ANY ninja turtles is better than NO ninja turtles.

I felt the same way about Extreme Ghostbusters and that show made me cringe on a weekly basis.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #29
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Once again a very profound opinion from Leo656. If Laird is gonna make the current TMNT comics suck then I'll probably just by some Star Wars back issues and I'm talkin' about the Marvel ones. I just hope Peter doesn't cancel Vol 4. It had some comics that weren't that good but the better comics made up for the misfires. The story arcs really should have more action' em. They take a long to develop and it doesn't really focus on the action. The current Army of Darkness comic books are great. They have four issues per each story arc and they have a lot of action in 'em. The story develops quickly and it never really makes me bored of the comic. I wish TMNT could have like five issues per story arc so that way there'll be a lot of action in 'em and the story won't take a really long time to develop. Laird should go back to his roots and look at the comics he worked on with Eastman to get inspiration for Vol 4. I dunno if he's ever considered doin' that but it could save the comics from mediocrity.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #30
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

what Leo656 said I am sure is what allot of us have been wanting to say but in fear of the same things as Leo656 is....I love Laird for being a CO-creator of the turtles and all but I must agree the way he treats other humans as if he is some rich snotty jerk...and yes that's being nice....I mean at first I even stood up for him and Lawson but they both are really arrogant towards constructive voices....and like you said it's differnt with us we ask or state real things aposed to hey yous guys wys aint bebop and the kranmaster aint in dis her comic yep yep durrr *drolls*...
Me I'm a big Fn' fan of change and that's great and all but for him to go and say those things about Lucas is just rude he's acting the same exact way...
Sure he might not believe this but neither does lucas....perhaps Laird is going crazy as well...
but anyway I am sorry to everyone who hated this issue it's actully my favorite issue so far in this new series I mean it's not anywhere as good as an issue of tales.....but perhaps thats what this storey should have been in and with a good artist....I mean I'm sorry I tried I really did to like lawsons new art work but I can't even look at it I find myself looking back at old issues of turtles and just looking at the art for ever even the image series it was so much better then this rubbish we are being fed and being told to swallow because we will still buy it anyway because we the fans love TMNT so much that we will do anything for them....sure that's true for the comics I guess...but me personally I've stopped buying the toys except a select few...
And the only reason I'm still buying the terrible DVD's is because the show is on when I have to leave for work on saterdays....and I don't get cartoon network here...
Anyway I for one liked Aprils origin and the fact that they were bugs it was just told very simply and drawn even more simply.....and that is not good...
Well, atleast we have the amazing stories in tales of TMNT and we can only pray they keep Lawson out of that book as much as possible...
I have been thinking of something for awhile now though and I hope I don't get totally bashed for this.......I think all of this going on these "changes" mostly bad ones and the lack of interesting characters and lack of dare I say violence is because Eastman is gone....tmnt have really changed since he's left the picture...seriously him being gone is like one of the TMNT leaving the show would not be the same...I'm starting to believe this more and more as the days go on I wish Eastman would do some TMNT stuff...
I do still love the show though just kinda wish there were more monsters and mutants robots (cool looking ones) and all that that made me a fan of both the old toon the comics (yes mirage) the toys and everything else like it or not I think this is a huge part as to why everything is lacking.
-PUTRESCENT
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #31
Aztec General
Mad Scientist

Interesting post Leo, I can't deny that.

I loved Vol. 4 #1-11. I really felt that the story was going somewhere and was going to be enormous. I thought that #9 (which was by FAR the best issue) was going to mark a turning point which drove the series in an all new direction. Sadly, it appears that this was not so.

There are some things in this series that I do like a lot. I like Raph's new look and his post-transformation rage, I like the Eunuch warriors that Leo was doing battle with, and I'm glad to see Casey back behind the mask.

I have been very dissappointed with Don, Mikey, and Apri's storylines though. I'm also upset that the Eunuch warrior storyline has been shoved aside. It was the most interesting storyline Laird created in this Volume and he's all but ignored it recently. Finally, the pacing has not been good. This whole policy of 5 pages of story for each character is not working. I hope that #22's focus on one storyline will continue for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:25 AM   #32
TheShowstoppa
Stone Warrior

I have just been catching up on Vol 4, so I really don't have much to say. I have noticed from the earlier issues, though, that they had better storyline. This current one is driving me all sorts of mad. I have not, however, picked up the newest issue as that I'm waiting for Tales #12 to hit the shelves. (It's nice to have my own folder at the comic store to pick these up whenever!) Tales is by far the better of the two books and I would love to see Vol 4 go in a direction that would best suit the now 30-something Turtles. Unfortunately, it's not doing so, and that saddens me. I will still keep buying each book, and in turn, keep hoping for a better tomorrow, but for now... I'll just keep dreaming of what could be!

Courtesy of LUCKFF
"I don't know what bothers me more; That this actually worked, or that Don carries around a pigeon puppet." - Mikey: Search for Splinter Pt. 1
TheShowstoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:15 AM   #33
stonetemplepilot
Mouser

What you say Leo, I'm pretty damned sure is what's going through EVERYONE's heads when they think about the current direction Larid is taking Vol.4. Being a writer and indie film maker, I'm constantly questioning writing styles, and having grown up on comics, I'm REALLY picky when it comes to comic writing.
While I haven't been overjoyed with vol.4, I have been patient with it, and haven't lost patience yet. Hell, when you read 88mph's Ghostbusters you need to be patient! HOWEVER, my suspension of disbelief is wearing very thin in Vol.4 though. VERY thin. And I read Spiderman (stood by it even through the dark years of cloning)! Yeah it's cool that it links back to this and that and there's the nostalgia there, look there's that character at Splinter's funeral and hey this hey that, but the April origin, while I can handle it, is completely insane. Now Casey remains the only 'real' character in the whole thing.
Maybe it has something to do with all these bizarre new trends in comics. First it was Norman Osborn (who's revelation was EXTREMELY well handled), now we've got Jason Todd (Remains to be seen, could be the most redundant revelation of all time, could be the most devastating), Bendis wreaking havoc in Marvel with revelations all over the place and DC's House of M rival line and now April's little revelation.
I'm of two minds with the TMNT issue. I probably should mention that I LOVED Image's books. I thought the stories, while slightly insane and dark, could have gone in some very interesting directions, and one day I hope to be able to pitch these to Mirage for an issue of Tales (for those of us who want Vol. 3 to be in continuity). Anyway, to get back on track, I have gotten used to Lawson's art, even though I don't really like it compared to the other artists who are or have worked for TMNT, and as I said, my suspension of disbelief is wearing thin, but I DON'T want the book to be cancelled. I'm exactly like Leo in this regard. I have EVERY Mirage book, sans a first printing of the first comic. I have even organised them into continuity, based on what the story details are and roughly where they'd fit in, even (loosely!) Zulli's ones I've managed to work in and the bizarre cartoony ones (the artists escape me at the moment). There are too many GOOD comics in the previous volumes to simply disregard them because they're to one man's disliking.
As Leo said too, there are TOO many people here who have helped make TMNT what it is today for Laird to simply flip them off. If it weren't for us, the children of the 80's/70's, Turtles might've just been another passing phase.
Also for him to poke fun at George Lucas for domineering the Star Wars trilogy is hypocrisy at it's most ignorant. At least Lucas took some notes on what fans wanted, otherwise I'm pretty damn sure Jar Jar binks would've had a lot more lines than he did in the last two prequels. Episode III had more redeeming values than the recent TMNT issues.
The early days were awesome, four mutant turtles trying to battle evil while remaining hidden from the world being threatened. The whole idea of the human race being oblivious to what was going on, aside from a few was awesome, and only have it rise up a few times (City At War) was excellent. Now Laird has thrown it all out the window. The mystique and thrill is gone, now it relies on bizarre revelations like the one we were handed. Had the Utroms not gone public, I think Vol. 4 would've been a lot better.
Leo, I second everything you've said and agree with everyone who says you should get your 'article' published. Or combine arguments from a number of board members to create some kind of UBER-LETTER, so at least if Laird does give us the expected response, it won't be directed specifically at anyone, and if he does get indepth, then it will answer to everyone.
stonetemplepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:27 AM   #34
stonetemplepilot
Mouser

Afterthoughts:
I'm really hoping that it turns out to be some kind of inter-dimensional mind****, and April is being had on by a new enemy posing as Renet, ultimately using her knew Nobody persona as a weapon for it's own devices. I know it won't happen, I don't think Laird's scope is going to expand much past the characters he's created. Hell, I'd settle for an Oroku Saki clone right now. At least we all know they existed. A TMNT Clone saga would go down a lot better than this. At least then we'd have the crew facing a MEANINGFUL threat, and without Splinter, perhaps even more meaningful.

Something else I noticed recently. Did the genderless warrior appear in the new toon? Australia is behind significantly, and they've been advertising the new series on cartoon network, along with Don talking about Atlantis. Anyway, knowing how Laird is tied to the toon, is the cartoon any indication of where the warrior storyline is likely to go?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #35
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetemplepilot
Hell, when you read 88mph's Ghostbusters you need to be patient!
I stopped being patient with the imbeciles at 88MPH when they delayed all 4 issues by at least 3-6 months each and then screwed up the shipping of #4 so that it got released at different dates all over the country. Then they only produce limited quantities of the TPB so people can only order it through their website. Oh, and the fact that they've obviously cancelled the ongoing yet don't have the balls to tell anyone.

Sorry, just needed to make a comment.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #36
stonetemplepilot
Mouser

True, I'm not saying i liked the wait. I ****ing hated it, made me furious especially when the writing is of such good quality and other 'lesser' titles like the ill-fated MOTU, Silent Hill, Castlevania, Friday the 13th, Army of Darkness hell even the Texas Chainsaw Massacre managed to keep dates. Hell Turtles! It's an indie publication, and they keep their **** on time pretty much all the time, at least it comes out in the month it says it will.
88mph is up the creek, I just wish Devils Due or IDW would come to it's rescue ala Transformers!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #37
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Yeah, the comic was so good, but 88MPH couldn't get the book out on schedule to save their lives. Now I'm just waiting for their contract to expire so that hopefully a mroe responsible company get get their hands ont he property.

I guess that's one thing TMNT has going for it, years of experience with Mirage. Volume 4 may not be very good, but at least they can get it out when they say they will. And when it does get dealyed it isn't for 3 months.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #38
raphael_is_cool
Mad Scientist

A few gripes

Spoiler:
Okay, so April couldn't get pregnant because she's not real.

Baxter planted nanobots in April to try and kill her later on instead of there and then, not to stop her getting pregnant? Is that correct?
raphael_is_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #39
Aztec General
Mad Scientist

Apparently, he wanted to slowly kill her.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #40
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hey, I don't have access to a comic book store that carries this title. So what exactly is the deal with cockroaches? I understand the crystal idea from the Donatello one-shot but I'm a bit confused with the "alternate Aprils" idea.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion, volume 4