Rat-faced Dude-guy

*sings, off-key*
"That's what friends are fooooorrrr!!!!"

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #83
jerome
Foot Soldier

while pete wishes there was someone there to slap GL and tell him what he is doing is stupid he is neglecting to realize that he himself has people to slap him and yell "dude really? thats stupid"....and its us the fans!

the fans say "tales 36 was f'in great! we want more stories like that"...tristan is still yet to write another issue of tales although his sequel to 36 was rejected and vol 4 is now an online only comic unless we want to spend 12 bucks on a single issue...dumb.

the fans want the original issues with original shading....pete refuses and calls us names.

we wanted a good movie that will respect the fans and not paint tmnt in the light of fodder for 6 year olds...

we want the new toon to go back to the heyday of 2k3...

we are slapping and yelling pete...you aren't listening. Probably to busy high fiving George and diving into your swiming pools of money...
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #84
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome View Post
the fans want the original issues with original shading....pete refuses and calls us names.
The namecalling was for the people claiming he retones it to erase Eastman from the comics... And they had it coming...

I'll just continue defending him forever... He is the creator, owner and should be allowed to do what the f*ck he wants with it.

Of course, we as fans are allowed to complain, but saying stuff like he's trying to erase Eastman's work... Yeah, ****ing stupid...
Old 04-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #85
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I wanna know who it was that went so far as to say that speciffically. Rose, was it you?

Old 04-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #86
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I wanna know who it was that went so far as to say that speciffically. Rose, was it you?
I've made similar comments, though nothing close to exactly what he paraphrased, so I'm not 100% certain it was specifically me. And others around here have said similar things, too.

I just look at this as a simple math problem.

Original TMNT #1 = 50% Kevin, 50% Peter

Peter decides to remove work done by both him and Kevin and replace it with all of his own work.

"Remastered" TMNT #1 = 25% Kevin, 75% Peter

There's less Kevin, that's just a fact.

While I am not 100% sold that there is no malicious intent (sorry, but I've heard several stories that would point to Peter/Mirage treating Kevin like crap in recent years), I'm willing to accept truth in that. And I do completely believe that Peter honestly thinks this new version is better. Because he's just out of touch enough to think such a crazy thing.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #87
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

I seriously hope he's happy, look how divided the fans are becoming Peter.
Is this what you want?
I've had enough I'm going to write him now also, this all is just annoying me waaaaaaaaay to much.
You should stop hiding and speak up, this is getting out of hand.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #88
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triglyph View Post
December 2001, 146th on the list. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #1 $2.95 cover price...only 11,501 copies sold....which is suprising to me. The top book that month was DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN #1 (Of 3) $7.95 cover and sold 174,339 copies.
Everything you say in your post is 100% true, but here is just a terrible, terrible example.

Dark Knight Strikes Again #1 was a comic book event, not just some random #1. Even non comic book fans were chomping at the bit to see Frank Miller's sequel to the legendary "Dark Knight Returns" some twenty years before. Of course... a lot of people didn't like what they got...

And 11,501 is a pretty respectable number of copies sold in today's market, if you keep track of things month-by-month over at http://www.cbgxtra.com ... but Vol. 4 and Tales V2 quickly fell far below that as the months passed.

Just for fun, you know how many copies Tales of the TMNT #43 sold? 2,549. That book deserves another 0 behind it, if you ask me.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-19-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #89
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I was just joking with Rose, I'm not gonna lynch her.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #90
Triglyph
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Everything you say in your post is 100% true, but here is just a terrible, terrible example.

Dark Knight Strikes Again #1 was a comic book event, not just some random #1. Even non comic book fans were chomping at the bit to see Frank Miller's sequel to the legendary "Dark Knight Returns" some twenty years before. Of course... a lot of people didn't like what they got...

And 11,501 is a pretty respectable number of copies sold in today's market, if you keep track of things month-by-month over at http://www.cbgxtra.com ... but Vol. 4 and Tales V2 quickly fell far below that as the months passed.

Just for fun, you know how many copies Tales of the TMNT #43 sold? 2,549. That book deserves another 0 behind it, if you ask me.
Yeah, going up against dark knight made for a poor example, but thats what was out that month. Again, I must admit, most of my money goes into producing my own stuff, paying my bills, and doing something fun from time to time, so I rarely buy comics (or anything else) anymore. I miss those days of comics costing a buck or so...so I have not read much of the newer stuff. I have no doubt that there has been some really high quality stuff. I need to find the time to view the freebie versions online and catch up on the stories.

For those who don't know this business stuff...it tends to be, on the average month, the top seller is in the 100,000 range. For "MAJOR EVENTS", books can push closer to that 200,000 range. It breaks down something like this:

If you're a nobody, you're praying for 1,000 to get distributed for your first issue, but you can't keep going long if you plan to do a series...If you're at that level, you're going to have a hard time making it to an issue 3 without funding the venture through an alternative source. For a lot of fans who want to put out their own book, making ONE book is a major accomplishment...diamond also won't want to consider soliciting number 1 if they don't expect that you're be doing numbers 2, and 3...you need to show them your stuff, ready to print before getting distribution is even an option!

If you're selling 2500, you're on the fence and can probably keep going so long as you don't NEED to make money in order to publish the book. If you're doing all of the art yourself, and its a labor of love, you're doing ok and can keep going. If you have to pay other people to do work on the book, you're going to run out of money quickly.

5000 and you're doing good and you can keep putting issues out...you're making a couple of bucks. At this point you're paying yourself for the art you created or you can hire a team...hire in the sense that there is some money for people. Its not much, but its something...

10,000 and you're a big success in the indy world. Its sad that a number like that is success, but thats where the industry is at this point. Its like being the smartest highschool drop out...Best selling indy comic today means something in comics, but to the rest of the world, people ask "they still make comic books!?"

getting into marvel and dc, I am not sure on the numbers, but someone told me they want to see at least 15,000 on regular titles they're trying to push...If a title falls below that level, it could be cancelled.

You're going to see the 50,000's, 60'000s 70,000's for your average issues in your major players...your spider-mans, supermans, batman, x-men, etc...

For one reason or another something sells more than everything else and something gets up there to the 100,000 level...some popular title has a good arc that people get hooked on...or there is a special event released.

then you get those major "events" where everyone who buys comics is buying something...and there we're talking about 150,000-200,000.

Those event numbers may sound big, but in the early 90s x-men number 1 sold 8 million copies (albeit with five different covers) and superman 75 had people lining up...like average joe people...literally forming lines outside of stores before they opened.

When the most you can hope for as an indy person is like 10,000 copies...where that is like "WOW"...its just hard for the little guy to get out there and make something impactful happen today. Factoring the higher costs of doing business leading to higher cover prices, I doubt there has ever been a tougher time than right now to put out comics with new characters.

On the subject of indy stuff, I met the guys at "Big City Comics" who publish "Ant", "Dragon Cross", "Totem", "Tempest"...They're on the level of printing 5000, getting diamond orders for 2500, and sitting on an additional 2500 copies which they sell direct and sell at events/conventions. I was set up behind them at the FX Show in Orlando in January. I guess there have been talks about getting "Ant" picked up for an animated series. There was even a statue made...but still...they're not seeing big money rolling in from the sale of the books. I definitely wish them the best of luck-they've got all of the elements to be successful, but its so tough in today's comic marketplace. If they can continue to just keep the books going out, they still build a library of stories that can be turned into something bigger down the road. Hopefully they can see bigger sales on a monthly basis, but man...its a fight I am not brave enough to fight.

11,501 is definitely respectable and if I were putting out a book, I would love to see numbers like that, but you'd think turtles could do significantly higher numbers with their comeback issue in 2001. Thats not me being negative...I really expected to find higher numbers there. With them dipping into that 2500 ballpark as things continued on, its just tough to stay afloat if thats you're only revenue stream...of course for mirage it isn't relying on comic sales to pay the bills at this point, but there is only so much time that can be devoted to a project that isn't making money. For every hour an artist works on a comic that makes no money, its an hour he can't be working on dvds, cartoons, animation models, etc.

I am hoping the new distribution model they're going to try will yeild greater profits. Ironicly, giving away the issues for free and selling even 200 of the 1,000 books they've printed at $10 a pop may yeild a better return than selling 2500 through diamond. I didn't sit down to do the math, but I hope it all works out for everyone. While people can joke about Laird having piles of money, the comics themselves are not where that money is coming from at this point. I think its awesome that new stories are getting put out there. I know people could be critical and think there are better stories to be told, but that is proof of how successful the turtles have become. Everyone has a different idea as to what direction the stories should take. Once people fight over the stuff, and have strong opinions, you know they care. I'd rather have people rabidly hating what I was doing as a creator rather than being indifferent to it .

Ok, thats it for me...no more posting in the thread for me...
Triglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #91
Raph'N'Roll
Hench Mutant

I agree with peter lairds opinion of episode 3, as a Star Wars fan I have little time for the prequels, while Revenge Of The Sith is the best, it's the best of a bad bunch.
But for someone who was involved in the secret of the ooze and Turtles 3, he can hardly critisize Lucas for not creating the magic with the prequels, although in fairness Lucas had more control.

Last edited by Raph'N'Roll; 04-20-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Raph'N'Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #92
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

Actually if you read his review of the Sith, it's not "ironic" in the least.

He's talking about the PREQUELS! He's not complaining about the remastered movies. He's talking about the new movies. He says their squandered opportunities. That's not really ironic in the least, as it doesn't relate to TMNT.

I see the comparison you were trying to draw and if he'd went on some tirade about how Lucas shouldn't have remade the originals, you'd have a point. But I didn't see that anywhere.

If you tried really hard you could draw a parallel between what he said and volume 4, but I don't think volume 4 can be called a squandered opportunity either. He's had Tales coming out for quite some time that keeps TMNT in the "normal" universe without any advancement. I'm not a fan of everything that's went on in volume 4 (The sci-fi stuff wears on me after a while) but I do think there have been some solid stories in there. You can't really complain that he's hogging up all the character development when he's letting people do Tales stories with the Turtles.

Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #93
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

You know, I spoke with Kevin about this at the NYCC, what his thoughts were on the whole "remastering" thing, and he said he acutally liked it. Thought it looked cleaner and clearer. Said he had no prob with what Pete was doing.

I guess you can take all that with a grain a salt but that was what he said.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #94
AquaParade
Banned

That's really interesting...wonder if he was just saying it as to avoid causing Pete any trouble...I just LOVE that gritty dark look, it's what early tmnt is all about to me.

Thanks for posting that Jester, mucho appreciated, although I don't see it as too ironic. It's just a letter of him kinda complaining about thing's he didnt like. He's not really demanding the George change anything.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #95
Roseangelo
Emperor

Well, that's good to hear. I can't say it changes my mind on the subject, but it's still good to hear.

I really wouldn't mind the whole thing so much if it weren't being done to actually *replace* the originals. Just publish both versions and let people choose which one to buy.

The fact that this whole mess has held back the republishing of these issues in any form is silly.

I'd prefer new Turtle work than rehashed old Turtle work.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #96
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoInRed View Post
That's really interesting...wonder if he was just saying it as to avoid causing Pete any trouble.
I honestly don't think so. He seemed real sincere about it and in fact, he was the one who brought it up when we were chatting...

I just get the feeling that he actually does like it, which I found pretty interesting.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #97
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTerminator View Post
You know, I spoke with Kevin about this at the NYCC, what his thoughts were on the whole "remastering" thing, and he said he acutally liked it. Thought it looked cleaner and clearer. Said he had no prob with what Pete was doing.
Yeah... put a few beers in him, then ask him again.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #98
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah... put a few beers in him, then ask him again.
You're probably right...

He was totally excited when one of the Heavy metal staffers brought him a redbull and he made some comments to me about it needing some vodka!
Old 04-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #99
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTerminator View Post
You're probably right...

He was totally excited when one of the Heavy metal staffers brought him a redbull and he made some comments to me about it needing some vodka!
HELL YEAH!! That's my fave drink hahaha
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #100
AquaParade
Banned

Well at least he's happy about it then. God...i wish they'd be a team again. But ya, I agree Rose, I think he should release it in both forms, and let us choose...couldn't hurt him could it? Would it really cost that much more money to release it in two different forms?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote