The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Edit: Whoa! Okay, a couple of changes here I actually do not like. The thing with Betty (why can't a tomboyish female be straight?).
That's the double-edged sword of Diversity & Inclusion.

On one hand, people who belong to any minority group will generally rail against stereotypes as a matter of course, because they're harmful, reductive, and put people into boxes.

However, AT THE SAME TIME, those same people will just as quickly wrap themselves in a stereotype if it gives them a chance to push for more "Inclusion". In this case, "OBVIOUSLY the heavyset chick in the sweatpants is gay!" This situation allows them to take advantage of a harmful stereotype, because it suits their "box checking" agenda.

But if for example on the same show, Susie was shown to be a huge fan of grape soda, "Because Obviously", people would say THAT was "offensive" even though it's the same damn thing, an assumption based on a generally-harmful stereotype.

Personally, it's the double-standard that irks me. I don't have a problem with stereotypes in general, since most of them do have a lot of basis in fact. I just don't like how selectively-weaponized they are, and the flimsy justification used to decide that some are Good and others are Bad.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:11 PM   #42
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
That's the double-edged sword of Diversity & Inclusion.

On one hand, people who belong to any minority group will generally rail against stereotypes as a matter of course, because they're harmful, reductive, and put people into boxes.

However, AT THE SAME TIME, those same people will just as quickly wrap themselves in a stereotype if it gives them a chance to push for more "Inclusion". In this case, "OBVIOUSLY the heavyset chick in the sweatpants is gay!" This situation allows them to take advantage of a harmful stereotype, because it suits their "box checking" agenda.

But if for example on the same show, Susie was shown to be a huge fan of grape soda, "Because Obviously", people would say THAT was "offensive" even though it's the same damn thing, an assumption based on a generally-harmful stereotype.

Personally, it's the double-standard that irks me. I don't have a problem with stereotypes in general, since most of them do have a lot of basis in fact. I just don't like how selectively-weaponized they are, and the flimsy justification used to decide that some are Good and others are Bad.
Yeah, that sounds about right, but imo, Howard and Betty as a married couple was very progressive. On one hand, you have Betty who was a feminist, tough, liked to watch sports and professional wrestling, working out, etc., and then you had Howard who was a bit sensitive and soft-spoken. I liked that dynamic because just because a guy is sensitive or comes across as weak, doesn't mean he's gay and a woman who is strong and tough, doesn't make her a lesbian. It was a good balance with those two.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:58 PM   #43
Leo656
The Franchise

Using that explanation, one could make a valid point that the original presentation was even MORE "progressive" than the current-gen, "Ah yeah obviously the butch chick is Gay" model.

I guess it depends on what an individual sees as more "progressive" - subverting stereotypes, or wearing them as a badge of "pride".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #44
Vicky82
Emperor

Rugrats has been renewed for season 2 and the next batch of new episodes will be released on October 7th, including a half hour Halloween episode.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/rugrats...al-1234841033/

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #45
Vicky82
Emperor

New episodes out on Thursday, there a few new clips.

Ben Schwartz guest stars in a episode

Boris and Minka appear.

Kimi is in a new episode so Rugrats in Paris doesn't exist in this version.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #46
Allio
Foot Elite

So…. They de-age Susie… but age up Kimi…

That’s just dumb.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #47
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm ok with them remixing stuff and seeing how things would be different if certain things were different. However that clip felt so soulless. I haven't seen the show perhaps it's good but that clip surely wasn't.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:57 AM   #48
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I watched two random episodes and man this show should not exist, it feels so unnecessary. The thing is the episodes weren't even bad, they're alright, but it just feels more of the same from the 90s, in fact it feels like a random episode that wasn't great but wasn't bad from the 90s. It's just there, generic, some of the choices are bad some of the choices are cool. But it leaves me thinking that no one wants to watch this, at least all grown up showed something different even if it wasn't as good as the original show. So yeah the episodes are likely better than the late 90s revival of rugrats but not as good as the classic ones and overall it makes you wonder why this was made if nothing new is being contributed and no changing the age of some characters, it being CG and set in modern times doesn't change things. Meh.

A live action take would definitely be far more interesting.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:26 AM   #49
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Season 2 Trailer...is anyone even watching this show?

LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:52 PM   #50
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Season 2 Trailer...is anyone even watching this show?

I tried getting into the show when it premiered, but the voices of the adults are too distracting. I honestly don't think most of them are trying hard enough to sound like both their living and deceased predecessors. It's also just weird for me to hear Mr. Green from Clue as the voice of Grandpa Lou and Forky from Toy Story 4 as Chas. I know this is a reboot, but my best friend and I don't like the changes that were made to some of the characters.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:50 AM   #51
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

https://www.nickalive.net/2024/03/pa...ckelodeon.html

Looks like this show is cancelled.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote