The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #21
sdp
-

These are economic problems, statistically the more education a country gets the birth rate starts falling. That's a problem with the current economic system which where more people are needed for it to grow. That's why you see immigration, it's not because of some illuminati conspiracy but because it's the only way to keep the economy going.

Also the world can't actually keep up with a growing population, it's already beyond struggling. But none of this has anything to do with:

sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
That's not how birthrates work, at all. Birthrates are measured by how many children are born per woman, and that has been decreasing.

The population increases in the past few decades have not been due to increased birthrates, they are due to decreased death rates.

My question to you is, what is your solution to this problem of an aging population to increase the ratio of productive young people? So far you haven't offered any.
Well don't you have an arranged marriage to plan for? You can fix this problem by having 8 kids with your future wife. Be a real life Apu and expand the human race.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #23
ABrown
Banned

I would instantly take the 90's or 2000's over this $hitshow that we call the 2020's.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #24
AquaParade
Banned

It's nearly impossible to separate the time period from the rose-colored glasses that come with looking back on my youth.

I definitely look back on the balance of technology we had then and miss it hardcore. But the grass is always greener. Take away my phone for a week and I'd probably realize how awesome things are now.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:09 AM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Early 2000's had slow internet connection, no youtube so you have to wait 1 hour to download a 5 minute video (we used quicktime and realplayer back then), cell phones were extremely limited and you couldn't really surf the web or do much with them, we were still mostly using VHS tapes and just transitioning to DVD so we had many shows never released, and no online streaming so you couldn't watch anything online either.

In terms of videogames we were in the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/GBA era which was great, but that's the only thing about that time I liked or would want to go back to. And even then you can still play all those games and consoles now anyway so there's no difference.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #26
sdp
-

In general life just gets better the more modern they are, I'd rather be relatively poor in the present than rich 100 years ago. I can be nostalgic for certain things but I wouldn't go back if I could, in fact I'd rather jump in time 40 years.

I'm re-watching attack of the show from the mid 00's and it's fun how geek culture still wasn't mainstream, less PC and people were obsessed with DVDs. I remember how excited everyone including me would get over shows being announced as dvds. 2000's had some fun things, better than the 2010's but I don't miss it.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

People say they miss those eras but if you ever traveled back in time to them and suddenly didn't have all modern technology you would miss it greatly. Remember when ordering something you had to wait, "6-8 weeks for delivery?" Like holy crap, that's nearly 2 months.

Imagine these days you could order anything and get it within a few days time. Imagine now waiting almost 2 months.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:57 AM   #28
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I miss it so bad I can't even describe it. And we're not talking Turtlemania, or any popular culture at all. This is much more serious (except maybe songs like this).

The demolition of the Berlin Wall in November 1989 and the end of the Cold War in the early 1990's led to an even more open world, coming together and still guided by Western Democracy influences. Military budgets experienced cutbacks. There were some troubles in Yugoslavia as it was dissolved, but eventually Slobodan Miloševi? was removed from office and required to resign. On the other hand, the dissolution of Czechoslovakia went better and the Northern Ireland conflict ceased.

For each upcoming year passing, it felt the world shrunk as the borders had been removed. Radio, television and the Internet contributed a lot to this.

This was all symbolized by the Mc Donald's restaurants in Moscow, or the large number of Russian ice hockey players in the NHL. It was a time of globalization, as everything was mixed up.

Cut forward to 2021, we see extreme nationalism growing especially in Eastern Europe, countries who just 10 years ago enjoyed integration into Western democracy.

Everywhere, people talk about national identities in an extreme way, as if globalization never happened. Meanwhile, the Chinese are now on their building a supervision system with the same technology that once was used to kick out corrupt single-party regimes.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #29
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I miss it so bad I can't even describe it. And we're not talking Turtlemania, or any popular culture at all. This is much more serious (except maybe songs like this).

The demolition of the Berlin Wall in November 1989 and the end of the Cold War in the early 1990's led to an even more open world, coming together and still guided by Western Democracy influences. Military budgets experienced cutbacks. There were some troubles in Yugoslavia as it was dissolved, but eventually Slobodan Miloševi? was removed from office and required to resign. On the other hand, the dissolution of Czechoslovakia went better and the Northern Ireland conflict ceased.

For each upcoming year passing, it felt the world shrunk as the borders had been removed. Radio, television and the Internet contributed a lot to this.

This was all symbolized by the Mc Donald's restaurants in Moscow, or the large number of Russian ice hockey players in the NHL. It was a time of globalization, as everything was mixed up.

Cut forward to 2021, we see extreme nationalism growing especially in Eastern Europe, countries who just 10 years ago enjoyed integration into Western democracy.

Everywhere, people talk about national identities in an extreme way, as if globalization never happened. Meanwhile, the Chinese are now on their building a supervision system with the same technology that once was used to kick out corrupt single-party regimes.
This was great.

There is a huge difference for how great the 90's were for those of us who experienced the decade as teenagers going into our 20's near the end of it, and those who experienced the decade as kids going into their mid-teens near the end of it.

Huge perceptual and cultural differences there. Like the difference between experiencing and understanding the cultural relevancy versus believing that the 90's were all about Beetleborgs and Brittney Spears. Or being there for the Alt-Rock movement or seeing Alt-Rock as "old" and thinking that Carson Daily was what music was all about.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #30
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

As something of a tech dork and internet addict, today is way way better for those things. Using the internet and computers in the 90s was a nightmare, everything was incredibly slow. But in terms of the rest of culture, yeah I prefer the 80s and 90s in most ways.

Some bits here and there about current year culture are great, but it also comes with a ****ton of bad and annoying things that I really wish weren't a thing.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #31
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Using the internet and computers in the 90s was a nightmare, everything was incredibly slow.
But it was still more exciting. Remember the first time you chatted with someone in another country, using ICQ and knowing.

"I'm part of the first generation ever able to do this".
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #32
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
But it was still more exciting. Remember the first time you chatted with someone in another country, using ICQ and knowing.

"I'm part of the first generation ever able to do this".
Have you chatted in VR? To me VR feels pretty much like the internet did in the 90s, people who don't know what the hell they're doing, actually excited to meet other people, people from all countries, jerks, helpful people, a little bit of everything like the old internet ways.

To me it feels really fresh and different, it's definitely like feels like the early internet when you would join a random chatroom to talk about nonsense that didn't matter just because you were doing it in this new platform.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:55 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Do any of you own a cellular mobile phone and visit the world wide web? I'll be hitting the 'net later today.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:52 PM   #34
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Now that I really think about it, a lot of pop/media culture during that time ( from advertisements to television shows to cinema films to even video games ) were ... increasingly provocative.

During that time, I felt that it had reached its peak.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #35
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I almost forgot. This was when the "MTV generation" was at its very peak.

I wonder how that would've felt.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #36
Banned

yes

i miss not living under the communist dictatorship of the obama bin biden administration
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Hate to have to ruin...whatever that is... for you, but just a reminder that most of that time period encompassed the Bush Sr, Clinton, and Bush Jr. years.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:01 PM   #38
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Every once in a while, I miss the 90s, especially music. I miss when MTV and VH1 were worth watching (but to be fair, I lived on these stations in the 80s too). Can't think of anything from the 2000s I miss. I wouldn't want to relive the time, but I think I more so miss the feeling I had from those times since life seemed simpler. No social media and politics wasn't always in your face like it is now. Luckily, we have older movies and shows and music to reminisce over. Time to play some Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Namie Amuro, etc. lol
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #39
sdp
-

I've been getting very 2000's nostalgic lately, it's an underrated decade and did have its unique look, I liked it a lot. Great decade, I'm glad Zoomers are making 2000's nostalgia a thing now. My earlier post in this thread about not being nostalgic about the 2000's is officially incorrect.
Spoiler:

The 2010s were indeed shyte, or at least I say that now, I wonder if I'll ever look fondly to them, I mean we did just finish it. I mean what will people remember of it? People shouting at each other because of politics? Social media memes? random youtuber? the MCU? What else is there for that decade? MLP? It did have some great cartoons I guess? Rick and Morty? the Pokemon revival? I'm pretty sure it'll just be people remembering their favorite youtubers from the decade.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most of the Marvel movies happened in the early 2010's, it's when they kicked off in full swing. Avengers was in 2012. Batman Dark Knight Rises was in 2012.

Hell the early 2010's like 2010-2014 or so wasn't too much different than the mid-2000's. Things changed around 2015 and later.