The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What motives do you think Shredder and the Foot Clan should have?
Avenge Oroku Nagi's death (killed by Hamato Yoshi) and restore family honour 5 55.56%
Work with Kraang or the Kraang and use their technology to conquer Earth 1 11.11%
Just be a street gang commiting minor crimes, like robberies and thefts 1 11.11%
Commiting crimes like drugdealing, murder and smuggling weapons 4 44.44%
Infiltrate politics with bribery and corruption 4 44.44%
Carry out unethical genetic experiments 2 22.22%
Shredder being Chrell, an Utrom attempting to build a spacecraft and take over the Utrom planet 1 11.11%
Supernatural and spiritual stuff 3 33.33%
Control an empire of crime, conneted to Baxter Stockman and the Purple Dragons 5 55.56%
Be a terrorist organization, à la IRA, Baader–Meinhof and the Red Brigades 2 22.22%
Destroy all music on Earth... 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Motives of Shredder and the Foot Clan

In all TMNT media, Shredder and the Foot Clan have appeared. But their motives and ambitions have been different. What motives do you think they should have?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Bringing back Communism.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:10 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Making their employer/leader -- Oroku Saki -- very rich. And themselves by consequence. But for other parts of the Foot like the mystics, something else. Mastery of the body and the conquering of death, I'd say.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I added a poll now. Multiple choices are allowed.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

The Foot has been corrupted into serving mostly financial needs, a far cry from their roots in Japan, and Saki is complicating things even further by pouring resources into his own personal agenda of revenge against Yoshi.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:01 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
The Foot has been corrupted into serving mostly financial needs, a far cry from their roots in Japan,
Is it, though? Ninjas as assassins has always been on a transactional basis. A ninja clan, in essence, is a "business."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:42 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Ohh, a veritable buffet of poll choices.

Money, power, and revenge, by whatever methods necessary.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:49 PM   #8
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

The foot, as modern ninja, should be a mercenary criminal organization. They should be taking high-paying spying and espionage jobs, assassin jobs, security missions, valuable thefts from high-tech facilities, and espionage jobs. Their clientele should be the the mafia, the triads, the tongs, and the Russian mob. They should be the ones powerful criminals turn to when normal mercs, spies, or bounty hunters aren't skilled enough to get the job done. They should have paid spies in every government, corporation, and large organization of any kind on earth, in order to gather data and intel for their missions and assignments. The goal of all of this is profit.

Their feud with the turtles and Splinter should be a personal vendetta with the shredder, leading to skirmishes whenever the two factions encounter each other.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 08-07-2022 at 02:05 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:38 PM   #9
Torterra
Foot Soldier

I like the whole just conquering through money and fear. Like if I was going to write Shredder and the foot in a series I would have it that Shredder pretty much rules over all of Japan in the shadows. Thugs, yakuza and other criminal organizations all follow him, like he is Japan's boogeyman. Then eventually he sets he's sight on taking over North America with New York as the starting point.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #10
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Our motivation is to conquer the world and kill the turtles and Splinter!
Old 07-30-2022, 04:39 PM   #11
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Is it, though? Ninjas as assassins has always been on a transactional basis. A ninja clan, in essence, is a "business."
That’s true. I’m just spitballing and thinking of what themes I’d want to play with in my TMNT sandbox, but yeah, I guess that works fine and is true.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:27 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

They always gave me a Yakuza-like vibe to me. Which means they engage in activities mafias usually get involved in. I'm sure loan sharking is one of them.

In the 2k3 series though, Oroku Saki was a well known and respected business man in NYC, wasn't he? He clearly wasn't someone hiding from the public eye. Not to mention his tower was rather conspicuous. Clearly his businessman image was a facade. But what kind of legal businesses was he involved with?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:36 PM   #13
Antoniocafe
Thug

I don't feel like there has to be one definitive answer. Different goals have made sense to me through a variety of different versions of the Foot.
Antoniocafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:28 PM   #14
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I remember that one episode where the Shredder was worried about Splinter having documents that prove he's the real leader of the Foot Clan. I'm like.... why? What really remains of the Foot Clan other than a legion of robots? It just seems Splinter and Shredder are the last survivors of a long dead ninja clan. It's stuff kids don't think about too much until they see other forms of TMNT media (hell, even the live action movies) where it feels like a real ninja clan.

Hell, I honestly don't think OT Shredder even respects Bebop and Rocksteady enough to consider them members of the Foot Clan and Krang could care less. Hell, Krang didn't give a damn in the above episode I mentioned.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:06 PM   #15
Antoniocafe
Thug

It's interesting to wonder what became of the Foot in Japan after Saki followed Yoshi to America. I definitely do not consider Shredder's forces that we saw in the opening mini series to be the "Foot Clan". Though he clearly considered the robot Foot soldiers, and possibly the punks as well, to be at least the U.S. branch of the Foot. Based on his offer to the Turtles to join the Foot anyway.
Antoniocafe is offline   Reply With Quote