The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-22-2022, 05:15 PM   #81
mrmaczaps
Banned

From that other thread, they're going to make one of the turtles gay in the follow up LR story... but then can they call it the Last Ronin if there are 4 more baby mutant turtles running around? Lol
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:21 AM   #82
Stu_Padasso
Foot Soldier

Got the hardcover come in so I got to reread the whole thing through. I wasn’t expecting a “happy” ending so I wasn’t surprised how things would turn out. The last issue did feel a bit flat in some parts. With all the build-up with cybernetics and nanotechnology I was almost expecting them to pull off a Necrosha and “resurrect” Michelangelo’s family under Hiroto’s control only to have Mikey sacrifice himself to save them. Instead we got a couple of mini-boss fights with characters that we’ve never seen before and don’t have much reason to care about before the main event.

Still, probably far better than most of the crap the Big 2 are pushing.

So, uh, are we not going to talk about how despite April’s claim that she and Casey were “contaminated “ by their contact with the turtles neither of them had been mutated or demonstrated any augmented abilities that Casey Marie had including being able to hold her breath under water for long periods of time? Or the interesting choice of clothing that Casey Marie is wearing in the epilogue?
Stu_Padasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:57 AM   #83
AquaParade
Banned

The whole second mutation angle felt off to me. They hinted at it with Mikey too but it didn’t go anywhere other then to explain why he could endure so much damage.

And does Casey need a mutation to be interesting? Can’t she just be a ninja with human capabilities like Saki? I guess that’s not my choice to make but it felt like a needless complication to make her a little stronger.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:21 AM   #84
Diorm
Hench Mutant

I got the HC version too and was able to finish the series. I had a problem with Karai being killed by Hiroto just like that at the end. It felt like there was a bigger plan and they decided to kill her at the end (because they were late in releasing this series and had to cut it short?)

What I was expecting is that there would be a conversation with her and the ronin and a fight for who started the last conflict with the two clans. Because when you read issue 2, both sides think the other started it. So I was expecting like someone set them both up and all those killing were because of a third party. Imagine the turtles being killed because of a misunderstanding.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #85
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Personally I loved the ending.

Was it perfect? No. Was it a bit rushed? Yes. But I felt satisfied nonetheless. It ended beautifully in my opinion. Mikey reuniting with his family in the afterlife, that brought a tear to my eye. Plus the last image of the series (before the epilogue) is of the whole family standing on a rooftop, and if you recall, the cover of the very first TMNT issue had the four turtles standing on a rooftop too.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:20 AM   #86
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
I got the HC version too and was able to finish the series. I had a problem with Karai being killed by Hiroto just like that at the end. It felt like there was a bigger plan and they decided to kill her at the end (because they were late in releasing this series and had to cut it short?)
There was definitely no timetable they (TPTB) were racing against in any way. That seems clear.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord

I assume it's because I'm older now but I read this when it came out and completely forgot everything about it besides some basic things.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:53 PM   #88
AquaParade
Banned

My opinion: The sub plots were all over the place. I couldn’t connect with the point of Karai being there and the second mutation felt superfluous. Personally, I don’t even like the idea of it. Everything feels a little more dangerous, without the “superpowers”. Casey always got along without them.

I think this story would have benefited from being told in less issues. The present timeline dragged, while they stalled to format each issue around a flashback.
At the least, I didn’t feel that they took advantage of the present timeline, despite spending five issues there.

The first issue was the best, imo, because it was paced wholly within the present timeline and allowed Kevin to do what he does best - action-packed choreography with cool characters and just a little bit of drama.

What this series nailed was tone, art, and characters. It just feels right when Kevin is writing the TMNT, in terms of character voices. And finally, we’re allowed to embrace all the themes that make tmnt great: legacy, revenge, family, and kick-ass ninja action that pulls no punches. It does that well. I don’t think it reaches the level of Return to New York or City at War, but it comes close.

They reeled most people in on premise alone, and I’d even go as far as to say that I think a lot of people overlooked the execution because the concept was great. This is what a whole generation of people want from TMNT.

So, the book isn’t perfect but it’s a giant step in the right direction. I suppose this makes the next Ronin series interesting - there is room for improvement and I want to see it fulfilled.

I’ve gotta say, I’m sort of looking forward to the potential of seeing a story set in the aftermath of TLR. I’ve never been naturally appreciative of a fifth turtle coming into the fray, for different reasons, yet I am intrigued by a whole new set of turtles, living in the legacy of the four turtles we know.

Yeah, that’s a concept that interests me, at least with Eastman and the Escorza brothers sketching it out (and that truly is tied into the appeal, for me). Sort of a Batman Beyond of the TMNT, In very general terms. Could be cool.

Btw, the hardcover reached the 11th spot on the New York Times Best Seller list.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-20-2022 at 09:35 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:44 PM   #89
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

A person who breaks her promise still has "honor"? Such a cheap and hypocritical honor.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:14 PM   #90
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLabRat View Post
A person who breaks her promise still has "honor"? Such a cheap and hypocritical honor.
I’m starting to think that someone from the Foot Clan deliberately broke the truce by committing a crime, like murdering a fellow clan member, and pinning the blame on Clan Hamato. It may have all been just a misunderstanding on Karai’s part, if she is in fact an honorable person as Mikey implies. I can imagine Tatsu, Shredder’s right-hand man, conspiring to break the truce since he despises the turtles for murdering his master. I think he’d rather die than coexist with the enemy. Of course, as of yet Tatsu doesn’t exist in the Last Ronin-verse, but it could explain how the truce abruptly ended.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:32 AM   #91
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

It took me a couple of years to finally notice this, but Hiroto went out the same way his grandfather the Shredder did in the first issue of the Mirage series: with a bang.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:24 PM   #92
DexVcx
Random Punk

Let's hope last ronin 2 doesn't ruin it
DexVcx is offline   Reply With Quote