The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-10-2022, 05:06 AM   #21
drgon78
Mad Scientist

An HD remaster of Lollipop Chainsaw would be cool.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:29 AM   #22
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
An HD remaster of Lollipop Chainsaw would be cool.
Wouldn't that be more like a 4K remaster? The game was already made for HD hardware.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:31 PM   #23
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Added Lunar 1 and 2, can't believe I forgot about them.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:24 PM   #24
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

The Mother trilogy. Link's Awakening is proof it can work.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:33 PM   #25
Stu_Padasso
Foot Soldier

Fallout: New Vegas without a doubt. Fallout 4 had better gameplay and settlement building but Vegas had the best story and setting.
Stu_Padasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:20 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't know why I didn't mention Zelda: Ocarina of Time. But not just sharpening the polygons with a "remaster"... I mean take the same game and radically improve the whole engine and look to like a modern Zelda game.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:04 AM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

We should have someone head over and touch up the Mona Lisa while we're at it. Clearly she needs to have a bigger rack, just for starters.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:29 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
We should have someone head over and touch up the Mona Lisa while we're at it. Clearly she needs to have a bigger rack, just for starters.
That's a fundamental problem right there. These shouldn't and can't be for just us. You can't put a 12 year old kid in front of Ocarina of Time as it exists now... you know, if they've played modern sh**. I guess you could try and masque modern games from them entirely and just give them that. But otherwise Ocarina is uniquely a game that could be pretty accessible to new generations with a decent remake. I think. If they don't f*** with anything else around it. And hey, if you want to add some bonus dungeons and such, please do.

Also hey... where is my Link to the Past remake? With the Link's Awakening remake engine? This should have been brewing for a year now.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-03-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:50 AM   #29
Turo602
The King of Kings

Considering the sh*t kids play today, I really doubt a remake is gonna make them interested in Ocarina of Time. You're either a kid who enjoys those type of games or not and if you're a 12 year old in 2022 interested in The Legend of Zelda series, being a little old and ugly looking isn't going to stop them from playing it. Besides, we already got Ocarina of Time 3D. Upscale that to HD and port it to the Switch.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:22 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

The 3DS versions of Ocarina of Majora's are fine. No need to remake the games again.

If anything, I wonder why Nintendo never did something similar to Mario 64. Maybe the DS version of the game where you can play as 4 different characters counts. But the graphics didn't seem to get significantly improved. No idea about the gameplay.

As for the question itself... at this point I don't know. I feel like most of the major ones have been remastered already. Also, I don't agree about A Link to the Past needing a remaster, or any other SNES classic for that matter. Most of them aged pretty fine. No need to fix what isn't broken. If anything, remaster the Zelda Game Boy games. They already did that with Links Awakening. Might as well remake the Oracles as well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:01 AM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

"BuT tEh gRapHicS aRe OLD aNd nObOdY yOuNg wIlL pLaY tHem!1!"

I mean, anecdotally, I spent my weekend with my buddy's 10-year old all over me, and all he wanted to play was NES, Genesis and SNES games on his "Classics" plug-and-play consoles. Complete with turning on the CRT filter to make it "authentic". He also was VERY into classic gaming in general, like he knew what dates all the old consoles came out in America and Japan, all that stuff. Very sharp kid.

They exist. Maybe they're not the standard and maybe more kids today really are obsessed with the newest and shiniest games. But it's not universal.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
"BuT tEh gRapHicS aRe OLD aNd nObOdY yOuNg wIlL pLaY tHem!1!"
Can you show me data that says otherwise?
Old 08-04-2022, 10:05 AM   #33
Leo656
The Franchise

Only anecdotes, same as You.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:34 AM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"I believe MOST kids/teens prefer games with the latest graphics vs. graphics from decades ago" seems far less controversial to me than "I believe MOST kids don't care about graphics and if left to their own devices will just play any video games, even games from the 80s."

The only kids I ever met growing up who "didn't care about graphics" had parents who wouldn't buy them a NES (or a SNES), so they'd act super content with their Atari-Whatever.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #35
Leo656
The Franchise

If I didn't know how old you are, I'd swear you were one of the same executives back in the 1990s who kept blocking the re-release of old Atari and NES games because "They're old and nobody cares."

Your personal biases show through strongly whenever this subject comes up. YOU are overwhelmingly in love with the newest and shiniest, therefore "everyone" is. Except it doesn't work that way, never has. Is the pool of kids who like "retro" games smaller than the pool of "spoiled brats" who "need" only the newest and shiniest? Sure. Nobody's disputing that. But you often outright come out with saying stuff like "NO kid will care about or tolerate _____" when all throughout the history of gaming we've seen otherwise.

I mean, you declared the new TMNT game "a flop" a year before it came out because "Nobody cares." Then it's a huge hit, and you say "Well, only old farts give a sh*t." Then countless anecdotes come out from parents who played it with their own young kids, and their kids loved it, and you counter with, "Well, MY kid got bored," as if that supersedes everyone else's experience. You can't "show the data" that proves Most Kids Are Your Kid, any more than anyone could prove that Most Kids Are My Friend's Kid. There is no hivemind of kids with a universal preference. And also, kids' tastes shift. A 6-year old who thinks the original Zelda is "dated and dumb" very well might become a 10-year old who loves it for what it is. That happens ALL the time, whether it's games, music, movies or anything. It's true many kids have an "Old Things are Bad because they're Old" phase, but many of them ALSO grow out of it and realize how dumb that mindset is.

Your perspective on retro gaming is very much "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" type of projection. YOU dislike "retro" stuff in games, YOU are a huge fan of shiny graphics and everything being "modern", and you feel so strongly about it that you cannot fathom how or why anyone would think differently. But they do.

It's probably true that the ratio of kids who'd rather play something Brand New than something 30 years old is skewed towards the former. But you constantly say outright that the latter doesn't exist at all, and that's simply false. Going "Eh, nah, I don't think so" doesn't stand as "evidence" of your position. You're just calling what you see from your vantage point, same as anyone else.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:28 PM   #36
Turo602
The King of Kings

When games like Minecraft and Among Us become as big as they do, especially with children, the whole "kids only like the best graphics" argument completely falls apart. GTA games used to look like sh*t too, especially by the time San Andreas came out, and that definitely didn't stop it from being one of the most popular games.

My nephew is 6 years old, and even though he has a Switch and plays modern games, he has no issue playing anything from the NES and SNES on the online subscription service because to him, it's just more Mario, Zelda, and Kirby to play.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:42 PM   #37
ChosenOne
Banned

A Tomba! remaster would make me a very happy man(child).
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:50 AM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Your personal biases show through strongly whenever this subject comes up. YOU are overwhelmingly in love with the newest and shiniest, therefore "everyone" is. Except it doesn't work that way, never has. Is the pool of kids who like "retro" games smaller than the pool of "spoiled brats" who "need" only the newest and shiniest? Sure. Nobody's disputing that. But you often outright come out with saying stuff like "NO kid will care about or tolerate _____" when all throughout the history of gaming we've seen otherwise.
I'm not dealing in absolutes. A Sith never does that. I'm dealing in overwhelming averages.

You're a kid playing NES. SNES comes out. OOOOOOHHHH, 16 bit!!! Must have!!! PS1 and N64 comes out. OOOOOOOH, 32 and 64 bit!! Must have!!! And so on, and so on. What, this wasn't what you saw in Jersey with kids? I see no evidence that this general progression -- at large -- has ever changed course beyond the old people comprising a small but respectable pool of "retro gamers" that still buy games.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-05-2022 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:09 AM   #39
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm not dealing in absolutes. A Sith never does that. I'm dealing in overwhelming averages.

You're a kid playing NES. SNES comes out. OOOOOOHHHH, 16 bit!!! Must have!!! PS1 and N64 comes out. OOOOOOOH, 32 and 64 bit!! Must have!!! And so on, and so on. What, this wasn't what you saw in Jersey with kids? I see no evidence that this general progression -- at large -- has ever changed course beyond the old people comprising a small but respectable pool of "retro gamers" that still buy games.
If you're gonna talk about modern tastes, it's probably best you don't look into your own past as a reference point. Tastes have changed drastically since you or Leo were kids and gaming has never been as accessible as it is today. You no longer actually have to play games in order to consume them or even have a dedicated gaming console.

Kids today watch other people play games on Twitch and YouTube and play dumb garbage on their parents' mobile devices and I'll tell you what they aren't watching or playing, the latest big triple A release with realistic visuals, lots of walking, and top notch storytelling. Who the f*ck needs that when there's Fortnite, Minecraft, and Roblox? Before that, it was Five Nights at Freddy's and Angry Birds. What, now we have Among Us and Fall Guys?

You wanted data, well how much accurate can it get than these type of games? We live in a post Shovel Knight world. Kids are growing up with retro looking games and retro experiences as the norm. This stigma only really exists with adults who grew up in our eras who still partake in dumb console wars and think they're getting the most "premium" experience by dick riding a console brand even though all they do is play Call of Duty and sports games.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:19 AM   #40
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
You wanted data, well how much accurate can it get than these type of games? We live in a post Shovel Knight world. Kids are growing up with retro looking games and retro experiences as the norm. This stigma only really exists with adults who grew up in our eras who still partake in dumb console wars and think they're getting the most "premium" experience by dick riding a console brand even though all they do is play Call of Duty and sports games.
Bingo. Give the man a Cinnabon.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote