The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 06-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Is there any way to remove a sticker from the back of OA without damaging it

I have a piece of OA from issue 5 that's from Kevin Eastman. Unfortunately there's a cheap sticker on the back of it. I'm worried that over time that the adhesive will end up bleeding through to the original art.

Does anyone have a Kevin piece with a sticker on the back, and have you tried removing it?
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I also have two pieces with this sticker. I actually forgot they were there until you just mentioned it.

This is what you are referring to, correct?

My first suggestion is to use a hair dryer. The stickers were applied in 2014 (at least mine were) which isn't long ago, so they should peel off somewhat easily with heat.

I'd be weary to attempt this second suggestion on expensive art, but I've found it's a very effective way to remove price stickers. I've used lighter fluid. Just apply a few drops to the sticker... the lighter fluid breaks up the "stickiness" of the sticker, and with luck it will peel right off. The lighter fluid evaporates completely after finishing, as if it were never there. I used this method to remove price tags from my Dark Horse Miniatures packaging, which were probably sticking on for over 30 years.

Good luck!
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Wow, yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking!

The art is pretty expensive, so I'm nervous about putting a hair dryer to it, or lighter fluid. When I get it framed, I'm going to see if they can do something to remove it without damaging it. I'm nervous that in about 10 years the adhesive residue is goint to bleed through tio the art.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Oh god.....this makes me nervous and its not even mine!! Lol....gl and keep us updated! Have you tried with just your nail?
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Yeah, I'm not going to try and remove it myself. When I get it framed, I'm going to talk with the restoration people there and get their thoughts.

The page means too much to me to have anything happen to it.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Good idea. Maybe they have some experience with this kind of thing at the frame shop. I feel the same way, too nervous to mess with either of my stickers. Please let us know if you find out any useful info!
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
tmntman
Mad Scientist

I would suggest shooting an email to Eastman and inquiring about the stickers and their potential long term risk first. If he is putting these on all of his artwork, I suspect that he had checked to make sure that they won't damage the work long term. If that is the case, you are probably better off leaving them in place. That's especially true if not having them would cause someone to doubt the authenticity of the artwork in the future since it is missing the stickers which Eastman is known to include on all of his art.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #8
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

I'm not too worried about people not trusting the authenticity, I had it signed by E&L, and it's on duo shade, and is perfect.

Good call on contacting Eastman though, I may try and reach out to him.