The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #141
Leo656
The Franchise

He's legit one of the nicest guys in the cesspool that is Hollywood. People are f*cking stupid.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:39 PM   #142
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Now Henry Cavill is getting "backlash" (from weirdos) for dating Gina Carano:

https://www-deseret-com.cdn.ampproje...-carano-dating
And like... not even dating her nowdays, this was ten years ago.

Imagine dating, idk.... Melissa Benoit, and she does some whatever **** years later that gets her 'cancelled' and now they turn the focus on you cause you ****ed her a few times years before?

These guys are insane.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:09 AM   #143
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

As far as these whackos are concerned, he has two things going against him: #1: a couple of years ago he said he was afraid to date in the middle of the #metoo movement. #2: he dated Gina Carano.

I think the going after Cavill now mostly smacks of cancelling Gina Carano probably not being satisfactory enough for these types (she has her new Daily Wire deal, didn't back down and apologize to anybody).
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:41 AM   #144
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Yep. I can already see the 20-30 SJW articles that will arise.

"Why aren't white men (and women) seeing the new Superman movie?" and so on, with a bunch of like-minded people sharing these articles on FB with a "See? Racism is alive!" This will, of course, probably be after we get a bunch of interviews with the writer and maybe some of the cast saying things like, "You're a white man and don't want to see a black Superman? DON'T WATCH IT!!!"
Its like with Birds of Prey again:
Step 1: "You toxic male incels do not like movies with strong women? Go **** yourself don't watch it, NAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!".
Step 2: BOP fails like a crap, cue: "Why those nasty white men scum didn't saw movies with the strong womenz, NAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!".
Step 3: "We need more moviez with strong womenz to show them white male scum, BWAAAAAAAAAAHHH!"
Step 4 (probably): Hollywood execs launder money using dumb**** "feminists" and Twatters as tools to gain influence and money.

Quote:
Now Henry Cavill is getting "backlash" (from weirdos) for dating Gina Carano:

https://www-deseret-com.cdn.ampproje...-carano-dating
Geee, man, but SJW scum is totally not a religious cult who will chase those who were close to infidels for something they did YEARS before person was cancelled. No, sir! They are totally rational and nice people who want better future for everyone (but people they disagree with).
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:11 AM   #145
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Dany Garcia (the ex wife of the Rock who also represents Henry Cavill) posted earlier today about wishing she could say something about "big things" that are happening but can't due to NDAs.

Pretty good odds given the timing of the post it has everything to do with Superman. And Cavill.

https://cosmicbook.news/big-things-h...any-garcia?amp
Old 03-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #146
IMJ
Emperor

Sometimes I think the people who pull this complaint nonsense know the complaints aren't valid and instead are opportunistic. These are people like Heath Ledger's Joker who know that they have power to stir $#!( up and that's actually what they are doing.

Like when you have that one friend that we've all had - you like the guy but he's an idiot and he says rude $#!( or makes comments that reveal his jealousy about his life as compared to your life. And you know that he's doing it because other people do it to him somewhere for his daily stupidity and he's sort of trying it out on you so that he can figure it out.

And for the cross section of the people of Twitter that are like that, this then means that the fault is actually on the people that respond and give them what they want. The complainers should have next to zero power unless their complaint stemmed from an action that had a direct and proximate impact on their physical well being. People who run companies and studios are completely at fault for responding to complainers that have no connection at all whatsoever to a person yet demand their livelihood.

And all of that even makes me wonder if someone at the studio was the one who stirred up this Cavill/Cara Dune thing just to help push him out knowing that he would be a shadow over their agenda plan Superman movie with Abrams.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:20 AM   #147
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Old 03-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #148
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Sometimes I think the people who pull this complaint nonsense know the complaints aren't valid and instead are opportunistic.
I'd say most of them are.
Especially when it comes to people with money and some kind of reputation.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #149
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

They could just do a John Stewart film if they want a black superhero.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #150
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
To play devil's advocate, Green Lantern doesn't hold the same weight as Superman.

It's not about having a black hero, it's about having Superman be a black man. Sort of like Sam Wilson - Captain America.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #151
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Exactly.

X. Ackt. Lee.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #152
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
To play devil's advocate, Green Lantern doesn't hold the same weight as Superman.

It's not about having a black hero, it's about having Superman be a black man. Sort of like Sam Wilson - Captain America.
Yes but why though? Falcon was given the Mantle by Steve so it's not the same scenario.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #153
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Based on the creative team and the rumors, yeah they probably are doing a black Superman. I just hope they do Calvin Ellis or one of the existing options and not remake Clark as black. I feel like that trend is really overdone in Hollywood and rarely works well. Better to lift up existing POC characters instead like they did with Miles Morales, worked wonders for Into The Spider-Verse. If they had instead did a black Peter Parker I think it wouldn't have felt so natural.

(Yes I know all about Bendis and how Miles was created, before anyone wants to get into it. I'm talking about the films here.)
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #154
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

Yes. That's true. But you shouldn't stop there. You should give some consideration to the sense of self-importance and narcissism that it takes to create a culture of hostile takeover to serve that mentality instead of raising children to enjoy a character like Superman regardless of color. You don't see it? You can't see that if color didn't matter and we live in an inviting America that you want to be part of, that you could just raise your children of color to join the society and they wouldn't care that Superman is white?

But instead the activity is hostile. When you do this, you aren't joining an advancing country, but rather you are attacking an advancing country.

Mentality #1
"We will bring our kids into the societal fold and raise them to enjoy Superman regardless of his color because we want the divisions to end. And we can do this safely because society at large is a better place than it was in time's past."

Mentality #2
"Black people can be Superman too and we will take him from you to prove it, to enhance ourselves and to fight racism by doing this. Which of course is sound logic because it will flush out every racist by proxy of anyone who doesn't like what we do. We are special and put the word "black" in front of everything and are busy being "black men in America" rather than just "men" in America."

What has widely proliferated is mentality #2. And most people who support it are either too dumb or too afraid to parse out the truth. Most people who support this are hiding in the witch hunt by burning someone at the stake with the craziest of crazy people.

There are two camps. The first is an entire cohort of people who have mastered finger pointing, complaining and excuse making about life. The second are the normal, well-adjusted people of color have advanced their lives, supported their children, go to work and hope for growth and they aren't on board for this. And if they are they at least have the decency to keep their human-condition-anger at the world under wraps.

The race swapping, the hostile infiltration, the scarlet lettering of anyone who points out the problems with this, all simply keep racism alive at the service of some liberal thinkers ego.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #155
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why a black Superman though? Why not a Mexican Superman? Or a Chinese Superman? Or an Indian Superman? Or a Muslim Superman?

There's no difference between a black Superman or virtually any other race, they're just choosing black because it's the most "common" thing to do. Imagine if they cast an Indian guy as Superman? But I bet Hollywood wouldn't think of it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #156
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Imagine if they cast an Indian guy as Superman? But I bet Hollywood wouldn't think of it.
You're obviously not familiar with Bollywood.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #157
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

There are lots of other super people of various races. There is Kong Kenan for example, if they want to do a Chinese superman. So they have lots of options. Probably black though because that's often how these things pan out.

Personally I feel Asian and Latino representation is lacking while black representation is very strong in modern super hero cinema. So yes, I would love to see them do Kong Kenan instead, for example.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #158
AquaParade
Banned

I'm not saying it's the right way to do things, but trying to get at the reason WB is making a movie about a black Superman, instead of using a character who is already black.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #159
Prowler
Emperor

Am I crazy or wasn't The Rock rumoured to play Superman in a future movie about a decade ago? I don't know if it ever was a substantial rumour or not, but I remember such rumour. It was around 2009 or 2010 I think?

And a couple of years before The Rock had been rumoured to play Johnny Bravo in a live action adaptation of the Cartoon Network series, but the movie ended up getting cancelled.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:46 PM   #160
Galactus
Foot Elite

JJ Abrams isn't someone that is going to push for a black Superman and just because Te Nehesi Coates is rumoured to be writing doesn't mean it either. He wanted to write Captain America because he wanted to write a character whose own personal beliefs were very different to his own and it was perfectly fine. Not the best Captain America run but pretty good and Steve Rogers was characterised as he should be.

But if we must debate the merits of a black superman.

Quote:
Mentality #1
"We will bring our kids into the societal fold and raise them to enjoy Superman regardless of his color because we want the divisions to end. And we can do this safely because society at large is a better place than it was in time's past."
That suggests that black people exist outside of the "societal fold". If African Americans feel disenfranchised and apart from society it will be because society isn't that a much a better place than it was in times past.

You can reverse this argument and say why can't white kids be raised to appreciate black superheroes? I'm sure a lot of people here would say they are but how many black led superhero movies are there compared to white ones?

Quote:
Mentality #2
"Black people can be Superman too and we will take him from you to prove it, to enhance ourselves and to fight racism by doing this. Which of course is sound logic because it will flush out every racist by proxy of anyone who doesn't like what we do. We are special and put the word "black" in front of everything and are busy being "black men in America" rather than just "men" in America."
Having a version of Superman which is black doesn't erase the myriad versions of Superman which is white including the ongoing version in the comics.

Also the black experience in the Western world is very different to the white one. Trying to pretend otherwise is just burying your head in the sand. One small piece of evidence to support that is the lack of black led superheroes in movies. It's not even some weird that is a thing when we know there are people in positions of power who shout down the idea of black led superhero movies (as well as female and LGBTQ-led movies) out of the belief they don't sell tickets or toys.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote