The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you like the "red sky" era?
Yes, I enjoyed those seasons 19 54.29%
I could take them or leave them 14 40.00%
No, I did not like them 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2022, 11:20 PM   #41
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Technically the mutations only went on 10 episodes. Remember they didn't start till Season 9, and they were cured by the first two eps of Season 10, with Leonardo basically being mutated out of control so technically it was only 8 episodes.

Out of the 24 episode Red Sky eps in total, the mutations were only in 8-10 eps at most. People really exaggerate or just don't remember and assume they went on all 3 seasons but they did not.
Felt much longer.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:26 PM   #42
TheUltimateBum
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
As I said earlier in this thread, I feel like season 8 showed strength with the character sets and had room for them to grow both Channel Six News and the Technodrome quartet. A chance to flesh them out beyond defining traits and see what else there is. We got 7 episodes of a badass Shredder out of 24. A desperate cunning, and vengeful Shredder was finally able to sharpen his blades. That is apart of the dislike of Dregg taking the lead villain role. The beloved one was becoming edgier and had promised more yet was taken off the board.
Yeah. The Shredder we got in the Red Sky stuff was really a pretty effective villain. Not the crybaby from the previous seasons (though he was a pretty enjoyable one at that).
Old 07-05-2022, 06:44 PM   #43
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I always remembered that one scene where Leo was fighting Shredder near some gears or something and Leo's bandana or whatever got trapped and it was really looking close like it was gonna pull Leo in and squish him into a bloody mess. They panned in on Shredder's eyes as if there was actual concern there. Like 'dayum, I wanted to **** him up but not straight up Fatality the guy'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #44
TheUltimateBum
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I always remembered that one scene where Leo was fighting Shredder near some gears or something and Leo's bandana or whatever got trapped and it was really looking close like it was gonna pull Leo in and squish him into a bloody mess. They panned in on Shredder's eyes as if there was actual concern there. Like 'dayum, I wanted to **** him up but not straight up Fatality the guy'.
LOL, yeah. Though personally, I always imagine Shredder smiling underneath his mask in that shot as Leo is about to get it.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:37 PM   #45
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateBum View Post
LOL, yeah. Though personally, I always imagine Shredder smiling underneath his mask in that shot as Leo is about to get it.
I like your avatar. It's from Shredder's best moment.

Just why though would he ransom the Turtles for Krang? Is it because he needs Krang? Because he wants to help his friend? I always thought of the two as a business partnership so his badass moment is driven by wanting Krang freed? The way they plotted against each other once the opportunity permits he and he alone to dominate it doesn't make much sense beyond needing Krang to achieve a selfish means to an end.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:46 PM   #46
TheUltimateBum
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I like your avatar. It's from Shredder's best moment.

Just why though would he ransom the Turtles for Krang? Is it because he needs Krang? Because he wants to help his friend? I always thought of the two as a business partnership so his badass moment is driven by wanting Krang freed? The way they plotted against each other once the opportunity permits he and he alone to dominate it doesn't make much sense beyond needing Krang to achieve a selfish means to an end.
Yup, I always loved this moment.

And in regards to why he would want Krang back... well, he knows that he still needs his resources and know-how to fight against the Turtles, so that could be the main reason. Although in the Red Sky seasons, it seems Shredder and Krang have finally started working together more effectively than they did before (there are still a few moments in season eight where Shredder is doubtful of some of Krang's ideas and Krang does chide Shredder after he made a deal with the Rat King, but it wasn't to the level of the first seven seasons, so they might have grown accustomed to one another).

It's interesting, because on the other end of the spectrum, the Turtles started arguing a lot and having a tough time.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:43 AM   #47
Sumac
Banned

Shredder and Krang like an old married couple - they argue under normal circumstances, but when one of the gets into serious trouble the other party will come to rescue, albeit with more than few insults thrown around.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #48
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

One day I was bored and just decided to marathon all three red sky seasons (helps that they're eight episodes a pop).

Quality wise, it's more or less the same but these episodes were actually easier to watch than previous seasons besides the first. I enjoyed the atmosphere of it as well as the fact that everyone was now against the turtles. Liked how the turtles were a lot more cynical towards the humans, especially Raphael. Noticeably, Raph was becoming more impatient and ruthless like he was in other incarnations and he argued with Leo more instead of just making fun of his optimism. Was hoping we'd get an episode where they'd follow up with that where he gets very violent but I knew it wasn't going to happen.

Dregg was an okay villain but I grew tired of him after a while. He just overstayed his welcome. Didn't care for his return in the 2012 show. Also didn't care for the secondary mutations at all. Didn't help by the fact they happened more than they needed to. Carter was aight but I agree with Powder that he should've been Keno. In fact, it feels like this era was trying to lean more towards the tone of the first movie and maybe a story similar to the second. Obviously not as dark and I know Batman TAS had some influence on it but you could tell the movies' influences were rubbing off on the show (of course with clips of the first movie playing during the new intro). I liked April a lot more here than I do the earlier seasons. The freelance angle she goes for, her new outfit, and the fact that she actually tires to be more useful here makes me appreciate her more.

Overall, I didn't mind it. There were some things that didn't work but other aspects I appreciate.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 10-19-2022 at 11:25 AM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:45 AM   #49
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I was surprised seeing how much it looked like Shredder and Krang actually cared about each other's warfare in their return episodes. Like so many times Shredder could have just escaped and left Krang to die.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #50
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
I was surprised seeing how much it looked like Shredder and Krang actually cared about each other's warfare in their return episodes. Like so many times Shredder could have just escaped and left Krang to die.
Probably because they just needed each other to get what they both wanted.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:45 AM   #51
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I chose the second option. I could take them or leave them. I didn't see the episodes when they originally aired, except for one and I saw that by chance at the time. I know I've told this story on the board at some point, but for my area, CBS stopped airing Saturday morning programs quite early. In the slots, they aired things like Martha Stewart and news segments. One day, we visited my aunt in Norfolk where they still had CBS Saturday morning programming. I hadn't seen TMNT in a long time and was so excited because I'd have the opportunity to do so. I was so confused when watching, wondering why the intro had movie footage (but didn't think too much of it), was lost on why the animation style was a bit different, why the skies were suddenly red, who this Carter guy was and where he came from, why April wasn't working at Channel 6 (but had no problem with the outfit change and liked it), etc. I don't think I even saw all of season 7, getting down to it, at the time. I caught the reruns that used to air during the week, but we know how those were. I think my view of it back then was, indifference due to how lost I felt.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. I didn't mind the Red Sky episodes, but I wish I'd seen them when they originally aired. Having a new villain was a good idea and should've been done earlier. It's like the Archie Comics, after a while, it fazed out Krang, Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady and came up with other storylines and stuff. They had some newer allies for the turtles as well. It's a shame, though, that this didn't happen sooner, even though, imo, season 7 was a pretty good season and I personally stand by that one.

Last edited by ssjup81; 10-26-2022 at 12:04 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:04 PM   #52
TheUltimateBum
Thug

Quote:
It was a very interesting change, because they actually worked better as a team in the Red Sky seasons, whereas the Turtles started becoming a bit more conflictive and desperate due to the bad press they were getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Liked how the turtles were a lot more cynical towards the humans, especially Raphael. Noticeably, Raph was becoming more impatient and ruthless like he was in other incarnations and he argued with Leo more instead of just making fun of his optimism.
Raph always was the guy with the flippant remarks and burns in the early seasons. They couldn't use his anger and impatient that much (apart from a few moments), but they really manage to use it more frequently here, especially in season eight, where the Turtles really are given the runaround, so the animosities are spiked up (I do know that David Wise didn't really enjoy having the Turtles bicker too much, but it honestly gave these seasons their resonance IMO).