The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-16-2022, 04:21 PM   #1121
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
This appears to be another concept art and a different look at the turtles.
https://twitter.com/Danthemainman97/...83745531314178

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLuyTFfX...pg&name=medium
Well, that does look a little more like what I would want, at least Donnie isn't ugly and think I can see some muscle on Raph. Still pretty close in style though, could stand some more revisions to be sure.

But... That previous one did still look a lot like this, so I'm still having a bad taste in my mouth and this is still too similar to ease my worries. I'm still feeling the Technodrome and that whale are going to be in this and I don't like that idea.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #1122
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The whale reminds me of that fake art (or maybe it was a discarded early design) of the Cloverfield monster:

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #1123
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:

They should have went with this as the preview.

Speaking of, is it just me or did they start removing that image and taking it down from social media? Maybe they weren't intending to share that and the designs aren't finalized?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:55 PM   #1124
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
They should have went with this as the preview.

Speaking of, is it just me or did they start removing that image and taking it down from social media? Maybe they weren't intending to share that and the designs aren't finalized?
Yeah, It was being taken down all over twitter, The Old Turtle Den had a video about it that was also taken down.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:19 PM   #1125
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

I dont like how they looks so scrawny, but other then that I am ok with the designs. I understand how small changes (like glasses) are made to differentiate the different 'generations' of the show. If they make it too big a deal it would get annoying, like if they have Donnie perform a Velma.

My largest complaint is Seth Rogan, after seeing his more recent stuff I dont think I would appreciate him on the property.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:32 PM   #1126
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
The TMNT fandom never ceases to amaze me.

I'll constantly see fan art and concept on social media, that everyone seems to go gaga over. "Awesome", "amazing", "love to see this in a new series or movie"...Yet I look at the same concept and think to myself "if Michael Bay posted that he would be ripped to shreds".
I saw this argument a lot during the Bay years and it never ceases to amaze me that people don't get it. There is a difference between appreciating fan art and wanting that to be the new official look of the characters.

Quote:
This new concept art comes along, looks to me like they have stripped it back down to the basics of what someone might draw a "basic" ninja Turtle like - what everyone on here has apparently been shouting for. They've taken away the individuality of Rise, the huge accessory count of the Bay Turtles. The only small accessory additions are glasses, durag, wraps. Possibly braces. I mean c'mon that's hardly anything. You want them to be clones?

The other comment about them looking skinny/lean - seriously? Bay Turts were criticize for being beefcakes. These new designs are on a par with 2012 - they were pretty lean, just had Popeye wrists and ankles.
It's all relative. They certainly look more traditional than the Platinum Dunes designs and Rise of the TMNT but it's still a far cry from what the characters should look like. I don't think glasses buck teeth and braces are really "back to basics".

The turtles are supposed to have some muscle. Bay went completely over the top with it but the answer shouldn't be go in the complete opposite direction and make them ultra skinny. It's like the people in charge of the franchise seem to lurch from one extreme to other.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:03 PM   #1127
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

To my eyes, it looks like skinny, stoner versions of the Fred Wolf Turtles with grafted-on Bay stuff (glasses, lots of wraps) and a few cues from the 2012 cartoon (gap tooth Don), in basically a 2012 world with 2012-style mutants and design and such.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:27 PM   #1128
Turtle Soup
Thug

Lose the glasses and bucktooth and braces and they look fine. Let's just hope they're not mutated from humans.
Turtle Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:38 PM   #1129
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Another piece of art

...if this piece is any indicator, they seem to be going the baby turtle route.

Original article: https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/...tmnt-villains/
Old 02-16-2022, 10:23 PM   #1130
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
The TMNT fandom never ceases to amaze me.

I'll constantly see fan art and concept on social media, that everyone seems to go gaga over. "Awesome", "amazing", "love to see this in a new series or movie"...Yet I look at the same concept and think to myself "if Michael Bay posted that he would be ripped to shreds".

This new concept art comes along, looks to me like they have stripped it back down to the basics of what someone might draw a "basic" ninja Turtle like - what everyone on here has apparently been shouting for. They've taken away the individuality of Rise, the huge accessory count of the Bay Turtles. The only small accessory additions are glasses, durag, wraps. Possibly braces. I mean c'mon that's hardly anything. You want them to be clones?

The other comment about them looking skinny/lean - seriously? Bay Turts were criticize for being beefcakes. These new designs are on a par with 2012 - they were pretty lean, just had Popeye wrists and ankles.

I'm not defending this new take (although I have no real problems with it). I'm just putting it out there that I don't know if it is possible to please the TMNT fandom!! Whatever they put out, they can't win, unless it fits squarely into something that was approved before i.e. 1990 movie designs. I say they just gotta do what they gotta do. Or else it will be death by democracy.
Bingo, you hit the nail on the head.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:49 PM   #1131
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I mean, sure. Way better design than the Bay Turtles (though them coming back to the table with a new Bay Turtles-like design was never going to happen when those movies failed). But do we have to have such a battered wife syndrome that we are expected to go, "Well, at least they're better than the Bay Turtles! Awesome! What a win!"? Because that's dumb.

In all seriousness, it's fine. When I read Rogen was attached I was immediately defending the movie here. Rogen of years back is hysterical in his movies, in front of the camera and writing wise. And smart. Clever. And again, look at stuff like Preacher and The Boys, TV shows with his fingerprints all over... great stuff. So there was the kernel of hope that maybe he was secretly a TMNT fan, maybe even a fan of the Mirage flavored Turtles. I didn't know. Nobody knew.

Anyway, now we know. He isn't. He is into the tons of mutants, wackiness and pizza type TMNT fluff. Which again, is fine. It just means it isn't for me, and I'm sure I won't be missed. So the designs we're seeing... why not? It's all fine for what they're going for.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:53 PM   #1132
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The Technodrome sucks and we all know it,
You don't speak for everyone, kid.
Remember that.

Quote:
I seriously doubt they are gonna do the Turtles being humans at first, Seth Rogen claims to be a fan, I'm sure he's gonna pay homage to the original.
They all claim to be fans and then mess up big time.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:01 AM   #1133
bjaxx87
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I don't know if it is possible to please the TMNT fandom!! Whatever they put out, they can't win, unless it fits squarely into something that was approved before i.e. 1990 movie designs.
Well, there are different groups within the fandom, so of course they will never be able to please "everyone".

Personally I'm simply annoyed that we never got a proper adaption of Mirage TMNT. Yes, the 1990 movie and early seasons of 2K3 came close - but even those tried to please fans of the Fred Wolf cartoon and/or younger audiences in certain ways. It would be so nice to have an adult-oriented and well written "Return to New York" or "City at War" movie incl. 4 turtles wearing red bandanas in simple designs. We never got that to this very day while "lighthearted" adaptions are stacking up - so it's no wonder that once more at least "my corner of the fanbase" isn't pleased.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:50 AM   #1134
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I call certified ******** on this one, mate.

They were clones for most incarnations and no-one had issues, until modern day authors, decided to give them overly exaggerated individuality.
And surprise!! This is where the issues have started.

Seriously. They look like mummies.
Also, 2k12 Turtles didn't look emaciated - they were pretty beefy for their small stature + stylization.

Now, now, no need for projection.
I can guarantee on places such as Instagram and Deviant Art I've seen numerous TMNT designs and concept ideas that appear to have a huge positive response, and I see this concept art as no greater and no less than those fan posts yet...it is causing quite a stir. It would take quite some digging to find a few examples, but if I can find any I will share them.

About individuality I would argue that the Fred Wolf variants, it was probably a budget/time issue to have them look all the same then just add different colours. Mirage...well that is where they started and the designs grew as the issues went on. Without wanting to sound hypocritical the best attempts at individuality were the 1990 Turts and also I love what Santoluoco (sp?) did with his IDW designs. Subtle differences but in a group shot obvious.

On the individuality spectrum these are probably a 4 out of 10 if we say Bay and Rise are hitting the 9 and 10 marks!

I would still argue if you cut off the 2012 arms and legs at the elbows and knees you're looking at something pretty gangly. I always thought that 2007 were less beefcake than the FW and 2K3 versions as well.

All I'm saying is for me these new designs have been pulled back towards 2007 style and away from Bay/Rise accessorised Turtles. But it seems that is off the mark too. So aside from cut and paste of 1990 or 2K3 where do the TMNT go from here?

(been discussed many times before on this board but there is a gaping hole in the franchise for a Netflix live action "dark & gritty" series - but will never happen unfortunately...)

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:14 AM   #1135
Sumac
Banned

I am not against small differences, like different bandanas or belts (like in Playmates toys from the 80s) or skin colors, but not excessive stuff like stupid goggles or braces or random articles of clothing.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:40 AM   #1136
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I am not against small differences, like different bandanas or belts (like in Playmates toys from the 80s) or skin colors, but not excessive stuff like stupid goggles or braces or random articles of clothing.
And therein lies my concern - Rogen was quoted as saying: ""As a lifelong fan of Ninja Turtles, weirdly the 'Teenage' part of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was always the part that stuck out to me the most..." source and while its been some time since I myself was a teenager, most teenagers do accessorize, almost to a fault, as some outward expression of themselves. I fear that designers overuse this tactic rather than make an effort to flesh out a character through story and interaction.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:58 AM   #1137
AquaParade
Banned

I don't mind the clothing. I especially liked the designs for the Steve Baron sequel that never happened. It humanizes them.

I just don't like some of the particular differences that Viacom seems to intent on stamping the turtles with - Raph has a cracked/spiked shell, Don has distinct teeth and goggles, etc.
I mean, they aren't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, it's just not my preference.

I can understand the inclination to give them distinct looks, which is why I guess I prefer they go with the clothing route, over them essentially deforming the turtles.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:41 AM   #1138
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

the designs have grown on me. they look like teenagers, as they should.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:42 AM   #1139
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Quote:

link doesn't work. is this legit? please tell me it's legit!
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:51 AM   #1140
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash-Dash View Post
link doesn't work. is this legit? please tell me it's legit!
You hope it's legit without even having seen it? Sounds leafy to me!