The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-02-2024, 11:46 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Angel (the Buffy spinoff)

So I made it to Angel now, having re-finished Buffy seasons 1-3 (and I see old threads in General but none that I could resurrect). Just finished the pilot episode... eh. Not really good. I'm just not seeing the same level of energy from Buffy or the punchy dialogue. Kind of blah. I dunno if I've ever seen this episode before, or possibly any of early Angel stuff. Alternately, maybe I did see it and it didn't leave any impression at all on me. I'm just not seeing the "fun" here. Yet. Around 99, though, probably the push was to make Angel more adult and maybe even like "Highlander," the TV show that was ending at that point.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:28 AM   #2
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The first season of Angel is not that great when starting out, but they do eventually retool and it gets much better
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:55 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Good. Even some of the more fillery episodes of Buffy I'm re-encountering, I'm laughing at random punchy or clever dialogue. This seems to be immediately taking itself dead seriously which I think is a mistake.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:42 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

The dynamic between Angel, Cordelia and Doyle is pretty good and later Wesley. The eps themselves are mostly episodic in the first season, Angel is basically treated like a detective or police guy looking for crime before they realized what they wanted to do with the series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 02:14 PM   #5
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Like its sister series it has its very silly moments like the puppet episode, and some forgettable characters, but overall it was or is, very good

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 02:15 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So far it's gotten a bit better. The one where Oz showed up, bringing Angel the invincibility ring from Buffy was pretty solid. The one with the "burrower" that burrows from one body into the next until the flesh starts to decay was pretty good, too. "Cordelia's new apartment is haunted by a ghost" was even fairly clever. Starting to hit a patch of really slog ones, though... like, pure back-to-back boring police procedural type stuff.
Old 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Once Wesley comes back the show improved a ton. Wesley has the best character development in the entire franchise. Starting off as a throwaway comic relief side character to a badass main character over the course of a few seasons is great, and it's so gradual you don't even notice as you're watching until you stop to think about how much he changed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:16 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hit a few more gems. The back-and-forth crossover with Angel and Buffy and then back to Angel was pretty good. Where Angel gets his blood mixed with demon blood, which turns him completely human and uncursed. Obviously it had to end with him as a vampire again, but he gets this fantastic opportunity and he gives it up voluntarily just so he can... better protect Buffy? Even though he wasn't even doing that beforehand, with her in Sunnydale and him hiding away from her in L.A.? It doesn't make any sense. He might as well just remain human and stay with her, and call in favors with his buddies to keep an eye on her/them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Once Wesley comes back the show improved a ton. Wesley has the best character development in the entire franchise.
If you say so... we'll see. I didn't care for Wesley too much in his earlier Buffy appearances. But I'm almost there... the next episode is "Hero" where I know Doyle dies. So Wesley should show up right after that.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:51 PM   #9
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

Angel gets a lot better once it gets out of the monster of the week format and gets arching storylines. I mean there will still be monster of the week stuff but storylines get to Big Bad type eventually.

Buffy is still better to me than Angel but I still enjoyed it for the most part.I didn't really like how Season 4 went....if I were to rank the 5 Seasons in order of my favorite to least favorite, Season 4 would be last.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:56 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
Buffy is still better to me than Angel but I still enjoyed it for the most part.I didn't really like how Season 4 went....if I were to rank the 5 Seasons in order of my favorite to least favorite, Season 4 would be last.
I keep seeing that. "Angel season 4... TRASH!" and so on. What's the matter with it? It's even worse than, like, the filler police crap episodes of season 1?
Old 01-09-2024, 02:58 PM   #11
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
Angel gets a lot better once it gets out of the monster of the week format and gets arching storylines. I mean there will still be monster of the week stuff but storylines get to Big Bad type eventually.
Most shows are like that. It's why we are now in the Second Golden Age of TV (or were) - the rise of Blu Ray, streaming and on-demand TV means people can binge or watch at their leisure, so more serialised storytelling can take place. Even better can be miniseries or anthology shows (individual episodes or seasons).

The one show most people say is better in procedural is the X-Files. But as of yet I haven't seen enough of it to say.

For me (and I would assume most people) an ongoing storyline is simply much more interesting than disconnected episodes.
The Inventive Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 10:07 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Are they going to drop the "Cordelia (formerly Doyle) had a vision -- quick, let's go investigate!" stuff eventually? Because it's a pretty lame device.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:04 PM   #13
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

I'd have loved to see Dracula and Angel interact

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 01-22-2024, 12:33 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just finished off season 1 of Angel. I think I'm getting hints of how it's going to turn out, now with Gunner joining the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
I'd have loved to see Dracula and Angel interact
They definitely could have done bigger things with Dracula. They finally get him over on Buffy, and it's just a one episode thing? Should have been a half season thing, at least, WITH an Angel crossover.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:02 PM   #15
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They definitely could have done bigger things with Dracula. They finally get him over on Buffy, and it's just a one episode thing? Should have been a half season thing, at least, WITH an Angel crossover.
well they did do more with Dracula in the sequel comics but yeah, kinda wasted potential

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 01-27-2024, 05:42 PM   #16
Antoniocafe
Thug

I know I'm in the minority, but the 4th season has always been my favorite season of Angel.
Antoniocafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:20 AM   #17
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoniocafe View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but the 4th season has always been my favorite season of Angel.
I thought that was my favourite season as well, I liked the character The Beast.
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote