The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-21-2023, 09:55 PM   #21
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I read through it, And it seems like the Rat King is the main antagonist of the movie, I do like to see other TMNT villains being showcase in other mediums, So I wonder how the Rat King fits in all of this, Also how is he going to look like, I kind of like the IDW version where he's part of a race of immortal beings, So I suspect this movie's version of the character will be more human, and grounded.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:00 PM   #22
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If the Rat King really is a part of this... can't wait to see what he looks like since there are so many ways that could go with that, and possibly make a joke out of either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Like, they literally turned the TMNT into NickToons.
Exactly what I worried about from the onset of Rise, because it seemed like they were trying to tailor TMNT to fit into the Nicktoons mold instead of remaining it's own unique thing.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:08 PM   #23
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Well…April appears to be a larger-than-life character, emphasis on the “larger”.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:09 PM   #24
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I read through it, And it seems like the Rat King is the main antagonist of the movie, I do like to see other TMNT villains being showcase in other mediums, So I wonder how the Rat King fits in all of this, Also how is he going to look like, I kind of like the IDW version where he's part of a race of immortal beings, So I suspect this movie's version of the character will be more human, and grounded.
... Uh... I guess it's good that the villain isn't Shredder again or some character they just made up? The problem is that this scene isn't exactly indicating we'll have a good movie, it's like one of the dumber Dreamworks movies or any Blue Sky movie aside from... Well, I guess Ice Age 1 is the only good movie they've made. The point is, TMNT is seemingly being used for what's essentially another dumb Shrek clone. Kind of hard to get excited for Rat King when you can just assume he'll essentially just be Lord Farquaad or Trey Parker's character in Despicable Me 3, just a thing for rats.

I can just see it before me. Rat King has a bunch of incompetent rat henchmen that he yells at all the time and there will be some jokes about him doing disgusting rat stuff, maybe there will even be a long drawn out scene of someone trying to hold in their vomit when the Rat King does something disgusting? He'll most likely also be a constantly flailing eccentric, like so many other characters in these types of movies, that's basically what April and Mike are shown to be like in these storyboards.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:14 PM   #25
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

praying they scrap 100% of this
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:16 PM   #26
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Kind of hard to get excited for Rat King when you can just assume he'll essentially just be Lord Farquaad
Oh, boy. Is he gonna watch clips of April over and over again in his bed, and then something will rise under his blanket, but it won’t be one of his rats?
Old 01-21-2023, 11:34 PM   #27
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Rat King... Turns out to be the science teacher, who always did have an unusual amount of rats in his science room, and made the mutagen to turn the city into rats, but something went really wrong, possibly via incompetent Turtles who tried to "help" stop him but just altered the kind of mess it became. But now everyone is a mutant so they can be accepted and go to school.

As far as April goes, no worries. If anyone behind it thinks changing her like that will also lessen the likelihood that people will make inappropriate art of this version then they've never seen the fat fetish fan art...and those people are probably going to be thrilled.

In all seriousness though, the one thing that did kind of surprise me about those storyboard is the "April's Murder Board" title... or something like that, all I really saw was the big, bold word MURDER which seems a little counter to the kiddie aim of this version? Not mutation, or casualty, or missing person...no, just MURDER. Hell, that's even too Mirage for 2003, and thrown into this presumably really kid leaning movie.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-21-2023 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:38 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
As far as April goes, no worries. If anyone behind it thinks changing her like that will also lessen the likelihood that people will make inappropriate art of this version then they've never seen the fat fetish fan art...and those people are probably going to be thrilled.
That's kind of a weird go to. As in, that wasn't even a thing that ever crossed my mind what they would do. If anything, I'd ponder what this might mean for future iterations of April.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:53 PM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's kind of a weird go to. As in, that wasn't even a thing that ever crossed my mind what they would do. If anything, I'd ponder what this might mean for future iterations of April.
You and me...and probably most of us.

I suppose they're just trying to be progressive and "do something that hadn't been done yet," but even still, being determined to continually change characters so much just makes me worry we'll never get back to what it used to be or could be in this medium. I really don't want to have to mourn the loss of them. Sure, the old stuff will always be there, but it's not the same just stuck watching/reading repeats if they no longer feel like they're thriving.

I'm 100% fine with new stories, so long as those stories aren't stupid and they stop screwing with the foundation and formula. I'd rather (god forbid) just jump forward in time where there is more room to work with to create new content without the need to eff up who the Turtles (and friends) are.

edit: After someone once mentioned it a while back, I've still kind of wanted to see a TMNT movie with the Rat King... but like a PG 13 horror. Now? I'm just picturing the Half Shell Heroes version mini figure if they had made an 87 Rat King version.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-22-2023 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:14 AM   #30
Vicky82
Emperor

I'm not impressed, I'm hoping this is a very early development storyboard and its been changed since then.

The only thing I liked, is that The Rat King is the villain.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:16 AM   #31
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

The final design of the turtles doesn't match the storyboards, so it's reasonable to expect April will look a little different. But if she really is more or less this... man, I don't know what it is with making previously white attractive female characters into unattractive obese POC females is but it SUUUUURE is a trend. It's beyond a trend, it's parody at this point.

I do like the idea of making rat king the central baddie... unless they mess that up.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:47 AM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This is Seth Rogen going:

Lizzo! HUHAHAHAH!
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:21 AM   #33
AquaParade
Banned

This movie needs a Michael-Bay sized backlash imo. We don’t want alien turtles and we don’t want teenage mutant student turtles.

This shouldn’t be so hard. Rejected.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:59 AM   #34
frank_one
Mad Scientist

It's sad to see "Eastman" thrown all over the scenes, but it is what it is. I'm sure Kevin will say this is awesome at some point if asked. Good thing "Laird" is not on this stuff.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:12 AM   #35
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

why did they have to blow straight past making April a hot POC and do this instead?

this is just terrible, the Turtles especially
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:21 AM   #36
neatoman
Emperor

I am a bit curious as to how the Turtles intend to "attend school"? Are they attempting to turn into or at least disguise themselves as humans? Or will they hide in the the vents and observe the classes?
Hahahaha!
Old 01-22-2023, 08:26 AM   #37
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

You guys still think I’m crazy to boycott this movie?
Old 01-22-2023, 08:31 AM   #38
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Depends what you mean by “boycott”. I mean, I probably won’t see it, at least not in theaters, and I will voice my dissatisfaction, but I don’t consider myself boycotting it.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-22-2023 at 09:51 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:40 AM   #39
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
As in you personally not watching it? Not really. If you're talking about organising others to discourage people from watching it, that's kind of pointless.
Hahahaha!
Old 01-22-2023, 09:01 AM   #40
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

This video puts all those storyboards in sequence, So it looks like its animated.

Tags
tigerclawisashill