The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-10-2022, 09:48 AM   #901
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Whoever decided to put Leslie Jones on TV deserves to be shot in the f*cking face.

Huge, fat, ugly, obnoxious... She hits a Grand Slam on being Just F*cking Terrible. Unforgivably offensive to all five major senses.

McCarthy isn't much better. Seriously, put me in the f*cking room with whoever decided that fat, ugly people get to be TV and movie stars now. Because I absolutely do not agree.
Body positivity, dude.
The left definition doesn't just mean that you have to accept it, but that you have to actually "like" it and pay to see it.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:04 PM   #902
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's a well known fact that "fat chicks" can kill a movie.

I mean I don't like looking at fat people in real life, so obviously I'm not going to like looking at fat women in a Ghostbusters movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:13 AM   #903
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's a well known fact that "fat chicks" can kill a movie.

I mean I don't like looking at fat people in real life, so obviously I'm not going to like looking at fat women in a Ghostbusters movie.
I don't know if that's true. Plenty of movies with "fat chicks" have worked by the same metrics that movies with "fat dudes" have worked. "Bridesmaids" for one. I don't remember tons of chicks being like, "boy, I'd love to f*** John Candy!" But he made tons of hits.

Because he was funny and the material wasn't anything like we're seeing today.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 05:27 AM   #904
CyberCubed
Overlord

Fat men are the exception because they're usually cast in comedic roles, so fat men are fine. It's fat women that are the problem. They're unpleasant to look at and their characters are usually loud and obnoxious because the writers don't want to write fat women as anti-feminist or anything.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:32 PM   #905
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Finally saw it a second time last night after getting the Blu Ray. It was almost like first time. I was really looking forward to it and seeing how I felt after my original thoughts. Still throughly enjoyed it and feel better about some of the complaints I had.

My main issue was the reason the original team broke up. I still think they could have come up with something more solid than Egon becoming irate and frightening Ray but it needed to be based on him going off on his own. I think any reason they came up with might have come off odd.

To be really objective you can argue it did not need to be framed this way and was only done to make Egon the hero because Harold Ramis passed away. I think the movie is fantastic but I think we should acknowledge this was a bit of consequence of that direction.

I wonder if simply saying they retired after business slowed and Egon moved to Summerville to do research would have been a better explanation. That he reached out for help when he discovered the temple but nobody was available.

I think living secluded and operating a 1 man ghostbuster mission fits the Egon character very well. It’s what led to it that’s if-y.

I noticed during the phone call Ray never actually brings up Gozer. Just that Egon thought something bad was happening and took off. He even says “I wanted to believe him” but Phoebe interrupts him. Maybe implying Egon was not sure of what until sometime after.

Still he calls years later so he must have figured out it was Gozer by then. There’s a lot of time between when he left and now so it’s still loose but it’s a little better than I originally thought. Filling it in more (in the next movie or whatever) can improve on it.

The overall phone call is better too. It does not feel like such an information dump. He just calmly answers her questions.

Like most I also thought the original team showing up was awkward. It still is but less. Whatever was cut might have fixed this because it’s just too convenient but I can buy into them knowing where to go.

I think the bigger issue is they cram too much dialogue into their brief conversation with Gozer. It even shifts to a lighter tone for a moment including the music and then immediately gets serious again. It’s because Peter’s sarcastic ruse is too long. Everything after their introduction is good.

I didn’t make the connection the first time but the old cars outside the barn are Cadillacs. Did Egon use them for parts on the Ecto1 since he drives the truck? Technically he did not even need the car. Maybe he hoped Ray would change his mind. He did call and try to persuade him again.

Some people have complained that using the kids as the main characters was an excuse to make it like an “80s nostalgia” movie instead of just picking up where the GB left off.

I think we all pretty much thought just bringing in new members was enough but it’s been so long that the even if Harold Ramis was alive portraying them still running it at their age and barely hiring new recruits in 20XX would not have made sense anymore.

Post 2000s there needed to be some retirement period where all 4 are leading normal lives until a new threat comes along and they need assistance. Which Afterlife basically is. They’ve gone their separate ways. Not enough ghost activity and his family/friends take over when they return.

It’s couple of flaws relating to the original team do not ruin it. Everything else is either a nitpick or a valid element. We just need to see what was cut.

I’ve read/heard many other opinions and how they should have done things (even had some of my own, scratch my idea about a flashback) but it’s so good as-is. The characters, especially Pheobe and Podcast imo, the setting and ending. Seeing it again it truly is a great movie.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:58 AM   #906
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Fat men are the exception because they're usually cast in comedic roles, so fat men are fine. It's fat women that are the problem. They're unpleasant to look at and their characters are usually loud and obnoxious because the writers don't want to write fat women as anti-feminist or anything.
Well, I kind of agree in general on the latter. They're treated with kind of gilded gloves in a lot of movies they lead nowadays... like a sacred cow (no pun intended).
Old 03-22-2022, 08:18 AM   #907
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Looks like the first follow up is this video game

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:21 AM   #908
Sumac
Banned

From the same developer as Predator: Hunting Grounds, so I wouldn't put my hopes up about quality of this game.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:23 AM   #909
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
From the same developer as Predator: Hunting Grounds, so I wouldn't put my hopes up about quality of this game.
Predator: Hunting Grounds is awesome. I'm still playing it.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:48 PM   #910
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Sony is working on a sequel.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/ghostbu...ie-1235009684/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:36 PM   #911
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Saw it earlier. So excited. They probably started coming up with it after making Afterlife during the delays.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:41 PM   #912
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Glad its getting a Sequel I really enjoyed Afterlife.

I can already hear Paul Fieg having a temper tantrum that this gets a sequel but his doesn't
Old 04-25-2022, 11:51 PM   #913
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
"The fifth in the series" my eye.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:02 AM   #914
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The Variety article says it’s a follow up to Afterlife unless they just made that assumption. It’s gotta be a GB4 though.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/v...5-FLlOcjg-pmno
Old 04-26-2022, 12:25 AM   #915
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Glad its getting a Sequel I really enjoyed Afterlife.

I can already hear Paul Fieg having a temper tantrum that this gets a sequel but his doesn't
Good. F*ck him.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:24 AM   #916
superstaff
Mad Scientist

I'm probably the only one person on Earth who despised Afterlife (and No Way Home, for that matter).

Before anyone asks, no, I didn't like Feigbusters either.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #917
Leo656
The Franchise

I know some people thought it was overrated but you're the first person I've seen say they "despised" it, yeah.

Too schmaltzy?

Old 04-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #918
superstaff
Mad Scientist

I...had a whole huge rant about Afterlife, but the Technodrome ate my entire comment that I spent twenty minutes writing about. FML.

I'll see if I have the willpower to write another...and save it this time. Ugh.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #919
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I admit, as time goes on and I've watched it again a couple of times... I'm less impressed with it. A lot of things could've been done a lot better surrounding the kids, there should've been more humor, and the script just needed to be punched up a bit. Riskier.

Still, I'm very glad we got it and am more than OK with it as a kind of "let's kick open the door and set the table" movie for "real" Ghostbusters movies to come. Also as a coda for the original 2 movies. As it's own thing alone... it's a little bit weak.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:22 AM   #920
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Also as a coda for the original 2 movies. As it's own thing alone... it's a little bit weak.
That's just it, though. By design it's predominantly the Former over the Latter. That's entirely on purpose.

I don't think it's ever fair to ding something for being Exactly What It's Trying To Be. But that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
there should've been more humor
Unless your movie has "Bill & Ted" in the title, this statement is never, ever, ever true. Ever.