Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-27-2022, 05:11 AM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Last Ronin ending

Can't believe there wasn't a thread. Anyway, here's what happens:
Spoiler:
  • Mike has a conversation with the hallucinations of his brothers and when he relises they are not of any help they go away.
  • Mike goes into Hiroto's headquaters and kills all the guards and eventually faces off against two very powerful opponents.
  • April is trapped in a flooded sewer and Casey Marie has to go and rescue her.
  • Mike comes face to face with Hiroto, who uses a nanomachine version of the Shredder armor, declares that he hates his mom, kills her and starts to fight Mike.
  • Mike finds holes in the armor and uses the weapons of his brothers to attack Hiroto and eventually it looks like he's done in by Leo's sword.
  • Hiroto manages to slice Mike in the stomach, the two are forced down a sewer and into a drainage ditch where they continue to fight.
  • Hiroto seemingly drowns in the mud and Mike can't recover from his wounds.
  • Casey Marie laments that she can't continue her training with him and he tells her to know peace.
  • Mike either has an death hallucination or goes to an afterlife where he is back in the past with his family and Casey.
  • The epilogue shows that April is in the process of creating four new mutant turtles, with a "to be continued" capping it off.

I liked it but I'm not sure I'd call what the characters do in the epilogue the right thing.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:59 AM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

The epilogue was one of the more interesting parts to me. I actually think it’s sort of poetic that a new beginning may have found it’s way in.

As for the the rest of the issue, it was okay. I think this series started stronger than it ended. Everything felt like it had to wrap up too quickly and it felt a bit messy. The layouts weren’t up to the golden standard of Return to New York.

I’d say that it got the job done and did leave me excited to see what comes next. Definitely a good looking issue, but, yeah, felt a bit messy.

Awesome mini-series, overall. Glad it happened. Not one of the very best tmnt comics but a great one, and the first authentic-feeling one in a long time. Thanks to the whole team.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:35 AM   #3
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Series as a whole would have benefited from fleshing Oroku Hiroto more. Also, the time between issues really took me out of my initial excitement. Overall I enjoyed it but those are my two main issues with the series as a whole
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:02 AM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post
Series as a whole would have benefited from fleshing Oroku Hiroto more. Also, the time between issues really took me out of my initial excitement. Overall I enjoyed it but those are my two main issues with the series as a whole
Agreed. And I couldn't help but wonder if they had alternate plans for Karai at one point.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

Just finished.

I loved the line:

Spoiler:
"Our bloodline is the shared mutagen that runs through our veins."

But so much of the book felt like The Dark Knight but with TMNT, down to the fight in the mud - I'm shocked we didn't see Ronin ride a horse.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:23 AM   #6
Sumac
Banned

Spoiler:
Will the new Turtles in a Ronin-verse have the same names or they will be named after different artists or maybe scientists or whatnot? Providing, if there is any continuation in the first place...
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:29 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This seems like the water spitting moment:

Spoiler:
Quote:
The epilogue shows that April is in the process of creating four new mutant turtles, with a "to be continued" capping it off.
And I suspect it's more to add a glimmer of light to what is a pretty bleak ending on paper than any interest in actually doing: TMNT: The Next Generation in a Post Apocalyptic Future.

Also, are we supposed to look very far into April's "long-term exposure to mutagen"? Because it kind of reads like
Spoiler:
a Turtle f***ed April and then April f***ed Casey. Or she f***ed a Turtle somewhere in the middle of it all.

And
Spoiler:
not much of a curtain call for Hiroto. He dies in a small explosion off-panel (it's his suit that explodes, right? yet he looks pretty OK right after, as in intact and not messed up or bloody), then just sort of is laid in the mud? Must be more Nick censorship or sticky notes going on here because this is a super tame and almost blood-free finale and no way the way Eastman wanted it to be in 1987.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-27-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:08 AM   #8
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This seems like the water spitting moment:

Spoiler:

I suspect it's more to add a glimmer of light to what is a pretty bleak ending on paper than any interest in actually doing: TMNT: The Next Generation in a Post Apocalyptic Future.

Also, are we supposed to look very far into April's "long-term exposure to mutagen"? Because it kind of reads like
Spoiler:
a Turtle f***ed April and then April f***ed Casey. Or she f***ed a Turtle somewhere in the middle of it all.

And
Spoiler:
not much of a curtain call for Hiroto. He dies in a small explosion off-panel (it's his suit that explodes, right? yet he looks pretty OK right after, as in intact and not messed up or bloody), then just sort of is laid in the mud? Must be more Nick censorship or sticky notes going on here because this is a super tame and almost blood-free finale and no way the way Eastman wanted it to be in 1987.
Spoiler:
Didn't Saki go out in a similar way in issue #1? Donatello whacked him and he fell into his own grenade or something.
I agree that it didn't feel as epic as something like RTNY Part 3, but I don't see much reason to believe there was editorial interference, when we've already seen gallons of blood in this series, particularly issue #2. Even this issue made a point to highlight that Mikey was assassinating mobs of human foot ninja.

I think what I find sort of disappointing is the lack of a real thematic element to the book. I thought there would be something to say about the cycle of revenge that has dominated the turtle's and Saki's lives. Didn't really go there.

I don't want to sound too down on the book, I just had high expectations. At the end of the day, it's still one of the best modern comic books I've read in a good while. Refreshing compared to much of what has been on the market.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:21 AM   #9
Allio
Foot Elite

Spoiler:
Kind of a ethical question of what seemingly forcing mutation on those four turtles. What happens if they gain sentience and hate the freak that they were turned into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Spoiler:

Nothing like that. She describes it like how in Static Shock how Richie gains his powers because he was around Virgil that was still emitting the chemicals that gave him his powers.

Basically April and Casey had been around radiated people that they essentially got a secondhand high.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Spoiler:
Didn't Saki go out in a similar way in issue #1? Donatello whacked him and he fell into his own grenade or something.
Spoiler:
Yeah, but Saki was literally blown up. As in, into little bits of bloody kibble and gore and bits of armor.

This Hiroto guy explodes but... doesn't? Like, at all? It reads very tame and neutered on the page, his exit there. No, I can't believe that's Eastman's vision for that at all and there was absolutely some compromise there with Nick, 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Spoiler:
Basically April and Casey had been around radiated people that they essentially got a secondhand high.
I don't think it's ever been said in any universe that I'm aware of that the Turtles have radiation, or that the ooze is radioactive. People seem to assume that, but I've not seen anything that it is.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-27-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:42 AM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Also pretty sure that's some of the junkiest junk science that's ever been attempted even for this shoddy franchise, regardless.

But I like Andrew's "Spider-Man: Reign"-inspired theory the best so let's just assume that's what happened. After April realized she was "just" a magical sketch, and well after she went back in time and had cockroach sex in a cockroach body, let's just say she said "F*ck it" and finally decided to give in to the longstanding curiosity she absolutely always had about what a romp with a mutant turtle would be like. Why the f*ck not? "It's not inter-species, she's just a drawing!"

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Also pretty sure that's some of the junkiest junk science that's ever been attempted even for this shoddy franchise, regardless.

But I like Andrew's "Spider-Man: Reign"-inspired theory the best so let's just assume that's what happened. After April realized she was "just" a magical sketch, and well after she went back in time and had cockroach sex in a cockroach body, let's just say she said "F*ck it" and finally decided to give in to the longstanding curiosity she absolutely always had about what a romp with a mutant turtle would be like. Why the f*ck not? "It's not inter-species, she's just a drawing!"
*April gets gangbanged by all 4 Turtles at once* "I'm not a whore, I'm a drawing so it doesn't matter! Keep telling yourself that O'Neil!"

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #13
AquaParade
Banned

Did they just drop the "secondary mutation" thing?
Old 04-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
But I mean, what's more likely?

Spoiler:
A) That radiation from the mutagen in the Turtles' bloods somehow leaked into April from the air, even though in 35 years we've never heard of there being radiation in the mutagen or the Turtles and no one has ever gotten "infected" by them by proximity before.

or

B) Sometime over the years one of the Turtles made a deposit into April and the mutagen leaked into her that way. And then the Case-Man, that dirty dog, picked up one of the Turtles' sloppy seconds rawhide-style. Maybe these events were even simultaneous. Sick little monkeys.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-27-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:38 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Both of those scenarios are infinitely more likely than me ever using Spoiler tags, or showing any respect whatsoever to the Spoiler-sensitive. That much I can say with great certainty.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #16
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

The ongoing crew is getting ideas for Mutant Town
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:50 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

It almost seemed like it was all going to be a dream of Michelangelo by the end. Despite the "To be continued" I don't think this will get a sequel. It took way too long for this mini-series to come out. The art was really nice and the story ended as you expected it too, nothing special but it was fine. They wasted a bit too many pages with the flooding of the sewers and April/Casey being underwater though, most of it was just filler.

I'm not sure what took this series so long to come out, it all should have been done by last year as a quick mini-series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:12 PM   #18
AquaParade
Banned

There will definitely be a sequel or prequel. Possibly both. It’s too successful.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

Can't believe I have to deal with this bullshit and I seriously hope this is just a joke... No, I seriously do not think April and Casey got contaminated from turtle semen, I don't think that is the intention and if you seriously think that is the most plausible explanation, I'm not sure sure you understand how semen works. The mutagen is not DNA, it alters DNA but it isn't DNA itself, the Turtles themselves did not need to get covered in semen to be mutated in the first place. While I don't think there is any direct mention of the mutagen being a radioactive substance in any previous iteration (though I think 4Kids implied it and it certainly is in the upcoming Seth Rogen movie), this does not exclude it from being radioactive in this version. The mutagen being radioactive in nature being a common assumption is fair because:
  1. Radioactive substances are proven to be mutagenic in nature. Granted, in real life they do not typically produce desirable results and more often than not they're quite undesirable, but they do cause mutations.
  2. The comic book tradition TMNT draws upon had a tendency to use radioactivity as a crutch. Daredevil, Hulk, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Captain Atom, Negative Man and quite a few other characters got their power from radiation. Granted, by the time the TMNT rolled onto the scene it was starting to become an outdated concept but it still happens even to this day.
Even if we assume it's not radioactivity we are still talking about two people spending a lot of time around these mutants. If there is enough mutagenic substance released from skin flakes, breathing or any other form of bodily byproduct they can still get in contact with that. It's the reason someone allergic to dogs can stand right next to a dog outside for hours without noticing any problem but getting inside a room where a dog has spent a lot of time will cause problems.

... Why do I keep going out of my way to argue about this kind of thing?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post
The ongoing crew is getting ideas for Mutant Town
Uh, what does this have to do with Mutant Town? Last Ronin is clearly part of a self-contained continuity, it has nothing to do with the IDW continuity or Mutant Town. The mutagen even seems to be operating under Mirage rules where it only makes humanoids instead of hybrids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It almost seemed like it was all going to be a dream of Michelangelo by the end. Despite the "To be continued" I don't think this will get a sequel. It took way too long for this mini-series to come out. The art was really nice and the story ended as you expected it too, nothing special but it was fine. They wasted a bit too many pages with the flooding of the sewers and April/Casey being underwater though, most of it was just filler.

I'm not sure what took this series so long to come out, it all should have been done by last year as a quick mini-series.
I wouldn't exactly call it a cliffhanger, yeah the "to be continued" does imply the intention to continue it but I see it more as an open ending. This story isn't exactly demanding a continuation aside from those last three words.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:10 PM   #20
Allio
Foot Elite

Overall a decent ending. Since ultimately does come down having to split Mikey up from the other characters to have his one-on-one. Only downside of that is that the subplot did feel kind of forced just to have the one-on-one.